Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
anyone else here go to Pedro Sauer's Herndon, VA school? I just started a few months ago and am really liking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

JaySB posted:

My buddy James is a brown belt at that school. He's a tough SOB.

Nice. I just got my first stripe on my white belt from Pedro Sauer, felt really good. He has a lot of fun and interesting stories about the Gracies, I am really enjoying the school

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
In my limited experience older married men have the most aggression in class, maybe it’s the weekend warrior mentality or an unhappy marriage at home

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Would a white belt with a few months experience get any value from the Ryan Hall Triangle DVDs? Or are they better for advanced people.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Our professor Pedro Sauer has taught us to be careful grapevining from mount (esp in competitions) because a person on the bottom with strong legs can just violently straighten their grapevined leg and blow out the inside of your grapevine knee

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

spacetoaster posted:

When I started BJJ I had been lifting heavy for a few years and that strength covers a multitude of sins.

HOWEVER, big muscles restrict your movement in a big way. Even if you constantly work on flexibility and once dudes know that you're the really strong guy they'll change it up on you to minimize that advantage.

Yah I started BJJ a few months ago after lifting for a long time and totaling about 1200 at 185lbs and strength really really helps with not getting swept or reversed. The other guy has to have perfect technique or also be really strong. Lifting also has made my shoulders so stiff and inflexible that just putting a figure four hold on my arm will get me to tap without having to crank it at all

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
If you had to recommend a set of videos/DVDs, or even a free YouTube series (but I’m willing to pay) to help supplement a beginners education what would you recommend? I only have time to go to about 3 hours of class a week and would like to fill in the gaps with some of these videos you guys talk about. I’m a 2-stripe white belt with 4 months experience. I would prefer gi because I am not allowed to do no-gi for another year or so, until I get my blue belt I suppose

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You've got a wrestling background yeah? Because two stripes in four months of 3 hour weeks is pretty impressive.

Yeah I do, our school (Pedro Sauers main school in DC suburbs) awards a new stripe every 10-12 hours of training. Not sure if that’s how other places do it. The belts are earned after a test

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The main thing I’ve noticed about the brown/black belts at my gym is they use their feet like hands when grappling

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Mel how are you catching guys in subs, ive been learning for about 4 months now and have not even come close to even attempting a sub in a free roll, just trying to stay alive at this point haha

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean I am just getting to the point where I can do it on other white belts. Everyone else, no luck. I feel like there is a moment where it clicks and you start seeing the opening. Like, I got a really good Ezekiel choke on a three stripe white belt the other day just because I could tell he wasnt protecting his collar.

Or, you might have Dan Severn syndrome where your wrestling instincts are so strong you are like "what do you mean I have to sub him?" I will always love that early Severn fight where he hits a guy with a legit kurt angle triple german and then just kind of lays on the guy because he doesnt know how to finish the fight.

I was a lovely and unmotivated wrestler in HS which was over 15 yrs ago so there are no real instincts there. I wish we started from feet instead of knees that’s about it

For me I just notice that anytime I go for a sub I quickly end up in a much worse position, and the only ones I know (kimura/Americana and collar chokes) are easily defended by higher belts

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wow the loving mythology of shoah has been shattered. No worries, your secret is safe in the grappling thread

I feel like Kimuras are a fools game. They seem so easy to hit but you always open yourself up by going for one too aggressively.

What position are you normally in when you go for a sub?

EDIT: For what its worth from one dumb white belt to another, it helps to make sure you are not focusing everything on the sub. Always be working something else, even if its just digging a shoulder into the guy. Also, never commit to a sub if it doesn't work quickly. That is the big lesson I have had to pick up recently.

The myth spiraled out of control, my brother has started to best me once he hit his growth spurt this year

I mostly try subs from top mount. I have found that I can get to this position easily—other white belts seem to not be able to stop it and higher belts seem to let me have it so they can practice stuff from the bottom, or for fun I guess. I try subs from mount only because I don’t have a “better” position to go to and don’t want to just sit there on them like a pony while they figure out an escape

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I briefly toyed with swimming as supplementary cardio but no longer have access to a lap pool. It puts very little strain on your joints and helps your breathing while also being a cardio workout. You could count laps and shorten your break times to measure progress? Your joints feel really good afterwards.

In my experience it is tough to swim if you have bad shoulders, almost every stroke puts your shoulder through a huge range of motion against constant resistance

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
My toes get destroyed during rolling, it feels like 3 of them are sprained right now

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Sunlight helps kill stains and viruses, it’s the only thing that will get out turmeric stains, although not sure why you would have turmeric on your gi

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I rolled with a new guy in his first week last night. He teaches club wrestling to kids and has been wrestling for like 20 years or something. I thought it was really refreshing to roll with someone who has grappling experience but no BJJ experience. When he was in my guard he didn’t posture up or anything, just kept trying to stand up and stack me. I was able to practice some beginner BJJ (armbar from guard, hip bump sweep) on him in a way that I never can on others because they are too familiar with the moves. I began to miss high school wrestling and asked him if he wanted to start from standing for a few rolls. I got to experience failed shots in a very intense manner, and at one point he had me on my back and began turking my legs for a pin and I got back into guard haha. Rolling with wrestlers is very fun

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I really like the triangle choke, it always reminds me of the lady from Goldeneye, although I realize she just crushes that Soviet guys torso with her thighs instead of a choke.

I also like the arm-in brabo choke that you can get after sprawling and stuffing a shot, I once in a while grapple with some high school wrestlers and this always gets them, although it’s illegal I suppose

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I have never been in this flow state, I spend most of my rolling thinking about what to do next, or trying to catch a few breaths. It sounds awesome though

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Jack B Nimble posted:

Five weeks is, not coincidentally, also how long it took to read this thread from the start.

what the gently caress

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Count Roland posted:

And speaking of smothering: are there any defense techniques against this? Its frowned upon or illegal in most places, but its legal in some competitions, in MMA, and on the street. I'm curious as to how guys deal with it.

Bite the hand that’s smothering your mouth

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I got my first ever submission last week, a kimura from side control on a fellow white belt. I really enjoy side control, to the point where I don't like to go for mount because I have better ability maintaining side control than mount. I've also really enjoying going for the kimura in side control because its pretty low risk, usually when I go for other submissions I lose my position, but with a kimura even if I can't finish it I can use it to control the guys upper body, unlike other subs where not finishing it means you are at risk, I think with a kimura if I can't finish it at worse I have a control deep in the other guys arm, like a russian tie

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
do you guys think people with flat asses and skinny legs have an easier time shrimping and having active hips

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
its been about 6 months since I started doing jiu jitsu. I've really been enjoying it, and I'm just going to post some thoughts from a beginner

- I struggle real hard with breaking and passing guard. Sometimes during free rolls I will spend the entire 3-5 minute round stuck in someone's guard, unable to pass. The only guard pass concept I have had success with is getting 1 or 2 of their legs on my shoulders. If I can get both arms underneath their legs that is great. Once someone's guard closes I don't really know what to do besides roll my hips, base out my knees and wait for them to do something. I hate standing up in someone's closed guard because they (higher belts especially) instantly use my stood-up leg to get a sweep.

- On the flip side I feel good in side control. It's really intuitive to me, keep their hips close to your hips, put your weight on them, and control their head. I've been able to keep people at my level or a bit higher (like new blue belts) in side control for as long as I want. I guess part of it is I never try to go for mount.

- I did no-gi the other day for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. One cool thing about no-gi is a lot of people will go for a collar tie and I like to russian tie that arm and use it for a sweep or just control.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Haha well, for the past month whenever we start to do free rolls I ask my partner if I can start in their guard, so I can practice getting out of it.

I guess here is a place to say that I wish all BJJ practice rolls started from the feet, I hate the start on knees crap and would rather just start in a position if we can’t do standing

I have tried the knee slice but am probably doing it wrong

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

starkebn posted:

Watch high level competition, guard passing is damned hard. 80% of the game is trying to pass or trying to sweep from guard

Yeah someone at my school said the same thing, the whole sport is about passing or regaining guard so don’t be too tough about sucking at one or both. It’s like a beginner basketball player being frustrated with their jump shot

Mel I’m gonna ask to start from standing more often

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think in some martial arts a black belt automatically makes you a master or instructor or “sir/ma’am” maybe that was his mentality sounds like a dick tho

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I have scored 1 sub in my entire time doing BJJ but nearly every single roll against someone around my skill level results in 5 min of struggling for position with no sub

Also I started asking for rolls from standing. Most guys just say ok but they sit on their butt while I stand. This is still cool because it’s a bit easier for me to try to pass guard. One blue belt stood along with me and I used my favorite takedown from high school on him (Russian arm tie drag into either single leg or pull down) and it felt great to not be the guy suffering for once

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Crap messed this post up and don’t feel like retyping but...how do I get out of the wrestlers headlock side control

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Wow that’s so simple and looks effective. I am sure when I try it I will end up splayed out like a spatchcocked chicken somehow

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Is scarf another name for that wrestlers headlock?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

JaySB posted:

I realize that I have a flaw in my patience level in that I hate to repeat myself to people. We were drilling a pass and my partner kept rushing through it and messing up, I kept telling him to slow down and think it through and tried to explain the little details/steps to basically no avail. How does one deal with this?

Read the book “Being Bodhisattvas” by Pema Chodron, it will help in increasing patience

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The worst for me was rolling on accutane. 20 minutes in and all the tendons in my body are screaming and I would feel like I escaped a car accident for the next week

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxsLLggoA8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8s9ny744p51c

What are you guys opinions on the two chokes from back control seatbelt in the video?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
say the word tap loudly and repeatedly

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
We learned single leg counter in high school wrestling except if you do it right and sit back on your leg you should end up on top of them in mount

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I know it was mentioned a few pages ago as an advanced technique so here’s a cool video of a guy using his own arm to triangle someone, who is attempting to do a double-under guard pass it seems

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuHs0vCgFIm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1d1bpbl8i4b1k

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
A black belt at my academy told me this when I asked something similar:

when you are rolling (esp when not both standing) one guy will usually go forward, one guy will usually sit back in some form of guard. As a white belt, develop a sequence of simple, fundamental moves for both, and work them over and over. So for going forward, I am focusing on learning passing guard -> getting into side control -> retaining side control. You can chain -> going to mount to that as well. Work each of those concepts on their own and you will notice they naturally chain together, like if you pass someone's guard you likely will be in side control. So now how do you keep it and not instantly get pulled back into their guard?

For going back, learn how to retain guard -> if passed into side control, how to frame properly so you can bump/shrimp back into guard or get to knees -> if mounted how to reverse into top guard position. The second chain has a lot of defense and reversals because as a white belt most guys will be passing your guard quickly. So that is how to chain concepts together, at least that is how I work at it.

I personally am not too focused on learning submissions, but the kimura from side control is a nice and easy one and John Danaher has a free youtube on how to do it properly, with nothing too complex for white belts like us. I told the black belt that I had been having success with kimuras and he agreed that it is a great submission for white belts to learn because you can use it to control someone's body into a reversal or better position even if you can't lock the submission up

two other things that really "unlocked" things for me as a white belt:

- you don't have to start a roll in someone's closed guard, and don't think of closed guard as a neutral position like I stupidly did as a beginner. A brown belt once told me that a prime goal should be never, ever to get into someone's closed guard and once I internalized that it helped.

- spend a lot of time drilling mount escapes. Weirdly for me they are simpler than side control escapes. Once you drill mount escapes a ton you will no longer panic or stress when mounted. I think learning to relax when mounted is a big step, at least it was for me.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Sweeping the plant leg when you have gotten their single leg high is a really common and good way to finish the takedown. With flexible guys it’s the only way sometimes

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I threw up from exhaustion once at a wrestling tournament in high school. It was still in the first period and I was being dominated. Probably one of my lower moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What do you guys think of this closed guard break and pass into half guard?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuoHxxslScA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1o7tilacuahaj