Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I forgot about the disco completely, but you’re right I do want one

E: lol they’re all crazy expensive. So nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

namlosh posted:

What’s a good resource for building a drone from scratch? Like starting with a carbon frame, picking out engines, flight control, etc… is there a single place that rules or is it all fractured?
If you're into reading, I'd recommend Oscar Liang's website, but I'm not sure they have a getting started guide now that I am looking there. The most common drone size is a "5-inch" meaning it uses 5" props. There is an "Ultimate 5-inch Shopping Guide" that might get you pointed in the right direction.
https://oscarliang.com/

There's also Joshua Bardwell's youtube where he is in the middle of a series about how to build his kit and all the things along the way, like setting up the transmitter, or the many steps of setting up a flight controller, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoDb7WF6c8l24IM83wIS94XzhuMVC2gx

There's not any sort of guide to help you select components or anything, as each size of drone has a current consensus about what things go well on it. For a 5-inch it would be like:
  • 2207 motors around 1800-1900KV
  • 6S battery around 1200-1400mAh
  • 30x30 flight controller
  • 30x30 4-in-1 ESC running Bluejay/BLHeli_S, BLHeli_32, or AM32 firmware
  • Video system. If Digital (DJI, Walksnail, or HDZero) you're locked to the camera matching the transmitter. For analog, it is a micro camera and an analog VTX around 800mW-1000mW peak output.
  • Receiver. Most quad people don't fly Spektrum, but many flight controllers still have the ability to hook one up. The big names for quads are ExpressLRS, TBS Crossfire/Tracer, and Ghost.
  • A Frame

Some stuff you can get on aliexpress, avoid banggood (too expensive), or there are local places at least in US of A. Pyrodrone, GetFPV, RaceDayQuads are the big ones I use mostly.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 12, 2023

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

-real time video-feed back to your phone/tablet
-gps so you can see your planes position on a map and use Return To Home if you get lost/low battery
-stabilization to keep the plane within the limits of its flight envelope
Getting delayed-but-close-to-real-time video to a phone is a big ask for most FPV stuff, but depending what you need to see it can be done. Most stuff people fly is FPV and we use special goggles to see stuff with very low latency while flying. An analog system can feed into a phone with a cheap FPV to USB device that plugs in the bottom. When I say analog I mean like old school TV at 480i resolution. Digital HD FPV systems use specialized goggles or receivers that only do their protocol and some have HDMI out.

All iNav / Betaflight / Adrupilot flight controller firmwares will send back telemetry to the handset, have stabilization modes, and varying levels of return-to-home functionality that can be activated with a flip of a switch or on signal loss.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FYSA, this dude ^ knows what he's talking about re RF control links.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have a noob questionL Does anyone have a good guide for telemetry? I am building a sailboat and/or fleet of station-keeping buoy. I have normally relied on Goggles +_ OSD o view information about the vehicle. I recognize that ELRS Receivers also send limited information back, and can be modded to send arbitrary info using a protocol airport.

What do the ArduPilot/PX4/commerical users generally do? I understand they have ground stations that run Mission Planner directly? I'm interested in viewing the vehicle's position and other info on a map using its GPS data, and sending it commands, like to reposition. What devices handle the OTA part, and interface with the ground station? Thank you!

I feel like I am missing out on a key class of peripherals, with the overloaded word *telemetry* at the heart. I think the protocol is called MavLink? Not sure how it works OTA or over what hardware peripherals.

Also, this whole system is CAN, so it would be cool if the telemetry was CAN too, but not required. (CAN ELRS + CAN AHRS/GNSS + 2 of the AHRS devices without sensors populated for main computer and PWM servo interface respectively.

edit: I think Airport with ELRS may be the play in terms of cost and range. Also, I can repurpose existing hardware for this. There will now be 5 CAN nodes in the system!

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 12, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Dominoes posted:

I have a noob questionL Does anyone have a good guide for telemetry? I am building a sailboat and/or fleet of station-keeping buoy. I have normally relied on Goggles +_ OSD o view information about the vehicle. I recognize that ELRS Receivers also send limited information back, and can be modded to send arbitrary info using a protocol airport.

What do the ArduPilot/PX4/commerical users generally do? I understand they have ground stations that run Mission Planner directly? I'm interested in viewing the vehicle's position and other info on a map using its GPS data, and sending it commands, like to reposition. What devices handle the OTA part, and interface with the ground station? Thank you!

I feel like I am missing out on a key class of peripherals, with the overloaded word *telemetry* at the heart. I think the protocol is called MavLink? Not sure how it works OTA or over what hardware peripherals.

Also, this whole system is CAN, so it would be cool if the telemetry was CAN too, but not required. (CAN ELRS + CAN AHRS/GNSS + 2 of the AHRS devices without sensors populated for main computer and PWM servo interface respectively.

edit: I think Airport with ELRS may be the play in terms of cost and range. Also, I can repurpose existing hardware for this. There will now be 5 CAN nodes in the system!

There’s a couple different ways to do it, but they all have a telemetry link connected to a serial port on the pixhawk/cube/whatever flight controller is on the aircraft/boat. That telemetry link is a wireless radio that connects to an identical wireless radio on the ground that is connected to a PC or tablet. In many cases in commercial use, there is no RC receiver, and both telemetry data and RC data goes through the telemetry link. The protocol for the data is called Mavlink, and the data included or not, as well as the frequency of updates and baud rate, can be configured.

I don’t think there are any CAN options right now that are easy but I’m not sure. The fact that rest of the devices on the boat are CAN is cool but I think you will need a serial port.

Here’s a good starting list of telemetry radios commonly used as well as some documentation on them:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-landingpage.html

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Dang, there’s a ton of great information in this page

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

There’s a couple different ways to do it, but they all have a telemetry link connected to a serial port on the pixhawk/cube/whatever flight controller is on the aircraft/boat. That telemetry link is a wireless radio that connects to an identical wireless radio on the ground that is connected to a PC or tablet. In many cases in commercial use, there is no RC receiver, and both telemetry data and RC data goes through the telemetry link. The protocol for the data is called Mavlink, and the data included or not, as well as the frequency of updates and baud rate, can be configured.

I don’t think there are any CAN options right now that are easy but I’m not sure. The fact that rest of the devices on the boat are CAN is cool but I think you will need a serial port.

Here’s a good starting list of telemetry radios commonly used as well as some documentation on them:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-landingpage.html

Thank you v much! Good to see all the options. There's even a Rust lib for MavLink.

I think to keep things simple, I'm going to:
- #1: Set up one of my CAN ELRS Rxes in Airport mode (done)
- #2: Configure the node to listen for a certain DroneCAN Node ID I made up, then pass through its payload to UART upon reception (done)
- # 3: Configure the main computer's firmware to periodically, over CAN, broadcast position, attitude, velocity, and a few related things over serial, as a byte array using a simple format (done)
- #4: Wait until the ELRS transmitter with USB arrives, somehow plug it into a PC, somehow read the data from the USB port, magic, then send back a packet that will do the reverse??

I was going to roll with MavLink and Mission Planner, but MP is sluggish, and has an involved UI; it may be easier to send and listen for only the data I'm using.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Dominoes posted:

Thank you v much! Good to see all the options. There's even a Rust lib for MavLink.

I think to keep things simple, I'm going to:
- #1: Set up one of my CAN ELRS Rxes in Airport mode (done)
- #2: Configure the node to listen for a certain DroneCAN Node ID I made up, then pass through its payload to UART upon reception (done)
- # 3: Configure the main computer's firmware to periodically, over CAN, broadcast position, attitude, velocity, and a few related things over serial, as a byte array using a simple format (done)
- #4: Wait until the ELRS transmitter with USB arrives, somehow plug it into a PC, somehow read the data from the USB port, magic, then send back a packet that will do the reverse??

I was going to roll with MavLink and Mission Planner, but MP is sluggish, and has an involved UI; it may be easier to send and listen for only the data I'm using.

Cool, you are way more well versed in the software side than I am, but one thing that I should mention is that lots of RC transmitter modules (ELRS, crossfire, RFD900) broadcast a local Wi-Fi network that you can connect to, then access the Mavlink stream over UDP to get telemetry and send commands. This is more simple and convenient than a separate USB connected telemetry radio sometimes.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

V cool! This "receiver" here does indeed broadcast Wifi, although the Antenna is weak. So, essentially, you could pass 2-way data between the vehicle[s] and ground station using WiFi directly instead of the LoRa ELRS etc signal... clever. (Although likely much shorter range)

Currently, I confirmed the AirPort ELRS rx is getting the CAN packets. It should be broadcasting it to the ELRS MCU, but I'm not sure how to test that. Waiting on the transmitter to arrive.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 13, 2023

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Welp. Remote ID is delayed till.. next year. Kinda. It goes into effect... friday? But they won't enforce the rules until something like march. Which seems.. batty to me.

I feel like malicious compliance might be the way to go here? Wrap the module in aluminum foil? Have a battery and LED in a plastic case?

What are "you" doing? Just.. flying anyway? FIRA sites?

While we're at it, here's a list of modules: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xj2f6e4ojt53fxasc75gr/RID-Modules-Module-Comparison.pdf

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Can anyone make an RID module, or does it have to be certified etc? Compliance process?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

Can anyone make an RID module, or does it have to be certified etc? Compliance process?
Yeah anyone can, it just needs to submit a declaration of compliance to the FAA, which from what I hear is just a formality. What might be a sticking point is that anything that transmits needs to have an FCC part 13 compliance before it will be considered, which does have to undergo a specific regulated testing procedure (although it is done at a 3rd party lab). That's sort of the holdup with ELRS receivers just being able to be RID devices, that they are not FCC certified and because the transmitting portions are not a certified module, it would mean each receiver model for every manufacturer would have to be certified and that's not going to happen.

Some people also think "if I am broadcasting a RID signal, I am compliant" but it only counts if the device itself is certified so there's no point in any half measure in this regard.

Also, amazing stuff with the CAN work!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the info re RID. IIRC the costs for FCC-certifying an intentional radiator are > 10$ USD. So, factor. I was curious about the partial-compliance (with a non-certified, but working) device, and speculate you're right. We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks for the feedback re CAN! And great job to you and the rest of the ELRS team for making Airport so easy to use. Have this program set up currently; looking forward to water-testing it soon. (Pool -> pond -> lake -> ocean, gradually)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What I like about agisoft metashape is that there's an installer and a GUI. But in the process of learning how to gaussian splatting I learned a lot about about installing dependencies. You need visual basic 2019 with C++. You need CUDA 11.8. Not 12. Not 11.6. 11.8. And you have to edit your system environment variables. You need to tell the computer where to find CL.exe. And then you have to install "ninja" and "pip". It doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. The biggest obstacle is deciphering the error messages to figure out that you need to install these things.
This is the tutorial I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtuigy_wYc&t=2080s
Things he doesn't specifically mention: You need to install CUDA, then visual basic again, and then CUDA again. Visual basic needs to see that CUDA is installed in order to install something it needs. But in doing so it overwrites something that CUDA needs. So you have to have cuda installed first, then reinstall it a second time after installing VB. Then install pytorch. I don't think you technically *need* ninja but the installer throws a warning if it isn't installed. You definitely need pip though. Without it, python can't build "wheels" and the gaussian renderer won't install without a wheel. (I don't know what I'm talking about).

My computer kind of sucks so this is 7000 iterations instead of 30000. But look at the detail! And it covers such a larger area than just the object of interest. Gaussian Splatting is really something.

Anyone else using this? I want to learn how to output this into something I can use to create video game assets. Liftoff custom levels, I'm looking at you.
If anyone is just trying to figure it out I'll try and help. I literally just got it working yesterday so it's still kind of fresh in my mind.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

What I like about agisoft metashape is that there's an installer and a GUI. But in the process of learning how to gaussian splatting I learned a lot about about installing dependencies. You need visual basic 2019 with C++. You need CUDA 11.8. Not 12. Not 11.6. 11.8. And you have to edit your system environment variables. You need to tell the computer where to find CL.exe. And then you have to install "ninja" and "pip". It doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. The biggest obstacle is deciphering the error messages to figure out that you need to install these things.
This is the tutorial I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtuigy_wYc&t=2080s
Things he doesn't specifically mention: You need to install CUDA, then visual basic again, and then CUDA again. Visual basic needs to see that CUDA is installed in order to install something it needs. But in doing so it overwrites something that CUDA needs. So you have to have cuda installed first, then reinstall it a second time after installing VB. Then install pytorch. I don't think you technically *need* ninja but the installer throws a warning if it isn't installed. You definitely need pip though. Without it, python can't build "wheels" and the gaussian renderer won't install without a wheel. (I don't know what I'm talking about).

My computer kind of sucks so this is 7000 iterations instead of 30000. But look at the detail! And it covers such a larger area than just the object of interest. Gaussian Splatting is really something.

Anyone else using this? I want to learn how to output this into something I can use to create video game assets. Liftoff custom levels, I'm looking at you.
If anyone is just trying to figure it out I'll try and help. I literally just got it working yesterday so it's still kind of fresh in my mind.

You'll need to heavily modify anything you scan in order to use them as assets...so it depends entirely on how comfortable you are using 3D modelling software.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I think it's even harder than that. The track editor has no way to import files. There's pre-built parts to choose from but there's no adding your own.

I was expecting it to want some weird file type; not to be incapable of opening files. DRL sim is the same way.

Blender works though

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I've wanted a drone for a while now and got recently got myself a mini 3. I was flying it around a few weekends ago and a falcon (I think) attacked it. Fortunately it recovered and I got the drone back and also I was recording when it happened. Here's the frame with the best view of the culprit:

I guess my question for everyone is does this sort of thing happen very often? Do I need to start keeping a lookout for prowling birds of prey?

Additionally, how lucky was I that the drone recovered? Is recovery from mid-air collisions something that most drones can do to one extent or another?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

FEMA summer camp posted:

I've wanted a drone for a while now and got recently got myself a mini 3. I was flying it around a few weekends ago and a falcon (I think) attacked it. Fortunately it recovered and I got the drone back and also I was recording when it happened. Here's the frame with the best view of the culprit:

I guess my question for everyone is does this sort of thing happen very often? Do I need to start keeping a lookout for prowling birds of prey?

Additionally, how lucky was I that the drone recovered? Is recovery from mid-air collisions something that most drones can do to one extent or another?

I have no answers but that is cool as hell

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

FEMA summer camp posted:

First off, dope-rear end shot and glad that your drone survived. I haven’t had to fight off a bird, but I’ve read that ascending extremely quickly is a way to throw them off. I’ve also considered getting a wrap that makes it look like a giant Yellowjacket/wasp in order to deter them.

Got the drone flyer’s blues right now- I’m going to Colorado and Arizona in a few weeks and want to bring my drone, but it seems like CO is a pretty drone unfriendly state, at least around Denver and Boulder. I’ll be off to Tucson next and I have a good idea of where I can fly there, but not sure if I want to lug my Mini 3 and batteries out there for what will amount to maybe two afternoon flights in AZ.

Anyone here flown in CO and can recommend some spots, preferably with cool nature and a hike attached?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

FEMA summer camp posted:

The crows where I'm at are not fans of drones, but I've never had one take a swipe. Never had a run in with a hawk or eagle.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
*cracks knuckles*

Ok! Time to see whether all those hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator paid off

Narrator: "It did not"

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That is in better shape than 100% of my fixed wing attempts thus far. Usually ends in major structural failure and parts flying in all directions.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

FEMA summer camp posted:

Some drones are more tolerant to prop strikes than others, but Id say you are pretty lucky. Sick shot though.

I’ve had a fixed wing attacked by a hawk, but there wasn’t much damage other than a scratch on the fin. Usually they are being territorial. If you see one or hear one and you can fly somewhere else you will avoid more bird attacks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dominoes posted:

That is in better shape than 100% of my fixed wing attempts thus far. Usually ends in major structural failure and parts flying in all directions.

To be totally fair, the second I did get off the ground, I veered right back into it and busted up the propeller and nose hard enough to require field repairs with reflective tape in my trunk:

Which I then promptly crashed again in exactly the same manner

And them crashed again. And again.

But then I finally crashed upright!

And then I got it flying stably, and had an absolute blast swooping turns!

At least until the battery drained down and the plane couldn't fight against the 20+ mph wind gusts that started carrying it towards the nearest 4 lane road before an emergency nose dive ditch and frantic sprint to recover the remains :stonklol:

I've still got one propeller left, but this is uh, going to require some "reconstructive surgery" and maybe a less windy spot than a big empty park next to the ocean while the remains of Ophelia peter out overhead. Plus someplace without biting ants crawling up my sandals and causing me to crash would be nice.

On a side note, I think I finally understand why the US dropped an atomic bomb on Spain, this flying poo poo is hard. But I'm hooked and can already feel the siren's call of FPV and EDF jets pulling me in towards the rocks :homebrew:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Holy smokes what an ordeal! I started following the instructions on how to do my own and stopped when it said I needed a 24GB VRAM GPU. How much GPU memory do you have / would my 8GB work?

It really is amazing the detail that can come out of just a small amount of video. It is difficult to turn into a 3D asset though because the whole system is just an illusion formed by a collage of photos piled up in front of your eye, not a traditional polygon scene. Liftoff (or similar) was what I would love to import this into but it would have to have a different rendering system. It would just have to render the illusion, but then you'd go in and manually add bounding boxes around all the obstacles, gates, ground, etc to have something to run into. It would be a whole new thing.

I would love to be able to come home from a race, take gopro footage from a 1-2 minute pass around the track, turn it into splats, set the scale somehow, and then be able to fly the real world track. I wouldn't bump into anything, but I just want to replicate the race without having to go out and measure everything then recreate it in a track editor.

One thing that doesn't work very well is the sky, and it is a difficult problem to deal with. The sky is sort of infinite distance away so the point tracking step doesn't really register it I think. You can't slap a traditional 3D skydome over a splat cloud because the splats are opaque and obscure the skybox. Lighting is also an issue because the light is effectively baked in already, and adding dynamic elements also would get obscured. It still looks really cool though even if it doesn't seem to lend itself very well to integrating into existing 3D scenes. I bet it would work friggin great for virtual production-- just get a video clip of where you want the scene to take place and splat it into the video wall behind the actors without having to build it in 3D.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

FEMA summer camp posted:

I have not had my drone actually hit, but I did have a Bald Eagle let me know that my presence was not appreciated. I didn’t take any chances and landed pretty quickly after this aggressive fly-by.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Holy smokes what an ordeal! I started following the instructions on how to do my own and stopped when it said I needed a 24GB VRAM GPU. How much GPU memory do you have / would my 8GB work?

It really is amazing the detail that can come out of just a small amount of video. It is difficult to turn into a 3D asset though because the whole system is just an illusion formed by a collage of photos piled up in front of your eye, not a traditional polygon scene. Liftoff (or similar) was what I would love to import this into but it would have to have a different rendering system. It would just have to render the illusion, but then you'd go in and manually add bounding boxes around all the obstacles, gates, ground, etc to have something to run into. It would be a whole new thing.

I would love to be able to come home from a race, take gopro footage from a 1-2 minute pass around the track, turn it into splats, set the scale somehow, and then be able to fly the real world track. I wouldn't bump into anything, but I just want to replicate the race without having to go out and measure everything then recreate it in a track editor.

One thing that doesn't work very well is the sky, and it is a difficult problem to deal with. The sky is sort of infinite distance away so the point tracking step doesn't really register it I think. You can't slap a traditional 3D skydome over a splat cloud because the splats are opaque and obscure the skybox. Lighting is also an issue because the light is effectively baked in already, and adding dynamic elements also would get obscured. It still looks really cool though even if it doesn't seem to lend itself very well to integrating into existing 3D scenes. I bet it would work friggin great for virtual production-- just get a video clip of where you want the scene to take place and splat it into the video wall behind the actors without having to build it in 3D.

I have a paltry 12GB of VRAM and it ran fine. Note that by "fine" I mean that "train.py" took about 6 hours to reach iteration 7000 and then by about iteration 18000 it was taking 7 second per iteration and I estimate it would have taken about 60 hours to complete all 30000. You can probably run it fine with 8GB VRAM. But just close the window after it saves at 7000 and don't even bother going up to 30000 unless you don't mind not turning your computer off for several days. Actually, It didn't noticeably slow my system down like agisoft metashape does though so it's possible you could continue to use your computer while it's running. Which is to say maybe you could go do all 30000 iterations? I don't know.

I didn't really mention this earlier but blender output a pretty good render using the same data. I don't know if that actually matters or not but it appears to have a mesh onto which the textures are applied. I don't know enough about 3D modelling to tell you if that means it's easier to apply collision detection to it than it would be with a gaussian splat.

This was produced with the exact same source data as the gaussian splat I linked earlier. And I didn't use a DJI drone with an IMU in the camera or gps data in the exif. I used this thing:

It's literally the stupidest drone possible. It doesn't record the camera's orientation. It doesn't record the camera's position. It's doesn't aim the camera at objects. It has no machine vision to speak of. It's completely dumb. All it does is open-circuit send PWM signals to something I told ardupilot was a camera and a gimbal. It doesn't even know it shot a video. But it did. And I took that video and fed it into FFMPEG, which broke the video up into images like that guy did in the gaussian splatting tutorial, and then I was able to use that data in both the agisoft metashape --> blender workflow, as well as 3DGS.

Which is to say I can think of no reason why you wouldn't be able to use FFMPEG on the video from a freestyle or racing drone to reconstruct a race you just ran. It should be completely possible. But as to your question about capturing the sky? I don't know but I found this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLuJnV0YGs https://betafpv.com/products/pavo360-fpv-quadcopter?variant=40039151665286 Drone with a 360° camera built into the middle of the frame. It shoots the sky and the ground at the same time. Judging from the video it does an alright job of shooting to the sides as well. Does betaflight support RTL or at least stabilize mode for landing? I've put dozens of hours into sims but I can not land at all. It would be hella sweet if someone made a small, modern, open source FC that supported ardupilot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

It would be hella sweet if someone made a small, modern, open source FC that supported ardupilot.

Uhmmm

https://github.com/pixhawk/Hardware

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AP's 2Mb onboard flash requirement isn't helping in that area, especially with H7 stock still not recovered. (PX4 has the same limitation)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Damnit. I was really hoping I was setting you up to plug your board.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Some of the H7s we were talking about are now in stock at Newark. Hm... I should probably buy some and launch the thing. Lately on my own projects and design, I've been going kind of in the opposite direction, of decoupled systems using CAN as the link. Makes managing complexity easier, and re configuring the same hardware and firmware pieces for different uses.

With that in mind, I almost want to launch a CAN-based H7 FC that only has an IMU, USB, CAN, and maybe a few UART ports. The decoupling makes the H7 overkill in many cases in terms of both IO capacity and computing power required (Because in decoupled system, you can offload computing power and IO to the other nodes), but need the 2MB flash for AP and PX4 compatibility.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 1, 2023

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Thank you for sharing this resource. Unfortunately it is beyond me. If this were a university course, I would say I am missing some prerequisites. I found this page: https://dronecode.org/building-an-open-source-drone-with-px4-using-pixhawk-open-standards-thanks-to-upverter/, which led to this page: https://modular.upverter.com/#!/workspace Which seems to be a learn-by-doing style tutorial. But according to it, h7 processors don't fit on 30x30 boards.

Would you happen to know of a "for dummies" style tutorial designed to take someone from utter layman to being able to make use of this and contribute to the project? I don't see anyone else complaining so the problem must lie with me.

Dominoes posted:

Some of the H7s we were talking about are now in stock at Newark. Hm... I should probably buy some and launch the thing. Lately on my own projects and design, I've been going kind of in the opposite direction, of decoupled systems using CAN as the link. Makes managing complexity easier, and re configuring the same hardware and firmware pieces for different uses.

With that in mind, I almost want to launch a CAN-based H7 FC that only has an IMU, USB, CAN, and maybe a few UART ports. The decoupling makes the H7 overkill in many cases in terms of both IO capacity and computing power required (Because in decoupled system, you can offload computing power and IO to the other nodes), but need the 2MB flash for AP and PX4 compatibility.

Are you thinking of maybe making CANbus accessories to go with the CAN-based FC? The existing CAN-based Optical flows are expensive, and the cheap ones take up a UART. Anyone trying to replicate DJI style omnidirectional obstacle avoidance is going to want at least 6. Right now you get the choice between running out of money and running out of UARTs.

https://holybro.com/products/pmw3901-optical-flow-sensor $20.59 - UART
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005461021773.html $89.90 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004881069964.html $121.83 - I2C
https://arkelectron.com/product/ark-flow/ $250 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4000544595310.html $21.03 - UART (although it has SCL and SDA solder pads, I've never seen their use documented. And it's absent from the ardupilot wiki page

I don't know. Maybe there's potential in the matek.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't really think DIY'ing your own FC's are for laypeople without significant experience in electronics and associated coding.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Are you thinking of maybe making CANbus accessories to go with the CAN-based FC? The existing CAN-based Optical flows are expensive, and the cheap ones take up a UART. Anyone trying to replicate DJI style omnidirectional obstacle avoidance is going to want at least 6. Right now you get the choice between running out of money and running out of UARTs.

https://holybro.com/products/pmw3901-optical-flow-sensor $20.59 - UART
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005461021773.html $89.90 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004881069964.html $121.83 - I2C
https://arkelectron.com/product/ark-flow/ $250 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4000544595310.html $21.03 - UART (although it has SCL and SDA solder pads, I've never seen their use documented. And it's absent from the ardupilot wiki page

I don't know. Maybe there's potential in the matek.
Most def! CAN AHRS + GNSS and ELRS Rx out. Just ordered prototypes for a power module that passes cell voltages, total voltages, and current for the batt and 2 lines (5v and 7.4V). Also allows a backup batt for just the servos/electronics in case you run out of the main or w/e. No optical flow though! I think that would be a good addition to the lineup at a later point.

Ordered the H7 boards; it's now in stock at Digikey, at last.

So a hot take about CAN accessories. ArduPilot, PX4, iNav, and BetaFlight dominate the firmwares. And they're all very complicated; especially AP. Complex toolchains, complex config etc. I only half-joke when I say it's easier to write custom firmware than get AP working on a new target. (You need the right combo of undocumented incantations in the config file, and if it's not right, the error messages are often not helpful) I think CAN periphs are a way to short-circuit that, because you are offloading tasks that would be done by the firmware onto dedicated hardware that communicate with a standardized (or at least documented) interface. So, then if you want to make firmware for a specific use, or don't like the toolchains and config process of the OSS firmwares, it's more feasible to make your own. Because you are no longer worrying about reading datasheets for IMUs, baros, GNSSes, motor protocols etc. You don't have to code or adapt an AHRS. You are just writing business logic, and sending/parsing CAN packets.

I do have custom firmware for quads, but it's still quite complicated even for only 2 hardware targets. But in the future, I'm moving away from that towards decoupled systems using CAN, like that boat I posted. Another implication you may infer from this is it's easy to reconfigure a decoupled system into different types of vehicles or use cases, compared to all-in-one devices.

DreadLlama posted:

But according to it, h7 processors don't fit on 30x30 boards.
The BGA169 ones are 7x7mm.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 15, 2023

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That explains it. If CAN hardware is distributed computing, it 's going to naturally be more expensive than UART stuff. Everything is a tiny independent computer. I could see that being really useful on large quads. Shrink the FC down to the bare essentials, so much that you can afford to have two of them. And if something breaks, you only have to replace one part. That's really neat.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't really think DIY'ing your own FC's are for laypeople without significant experience in electronics and associated coding.

True dat. But I can look all googly eyed at people smarted than me who have figured it out and whine about not having enough serial ports.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol my phone updated overnight while I'm traveling on vacation and it broke DJI Go again. Can't update it as it's not on the store, or sideload as it's forbidden by device policy. DJI Fly though seems to work with the Air 1 now, at least so I managed to make it work .

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh might be able to use Litchi to get some flying done

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

FYI, if you use a DJI Mini 3/4, their latest update turned off Remote ID unless you're using one of the larger batteries.

https://dronexl.co/2024/01/31/firmware-update-dji-mini-drones-non-compliant/

I guess DJI's logic behind this is that operators flying recreationally would use the standard batteries (keeping weight under 250g and therefore not requiring Remote ID) but this does have an impact on people flying under Part 107. Seems like a major oversight on their part and I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have not been following the remote ID stuff at all, as someone without a part 107 and with a DJI Mavic Air 2, is there anything I actually need to do?