Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's your question?

Digital offers far better video quality and penetration than analog. Downsides are more expensive and higher latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Analog video has poor video quality, and requires (for OSD) knockoffs of a chip that hasn't been produced in a while.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Oh, of course!

Digital video has good video quality, and doesn't require knockoffs of a chip that hasn't been produced in a while.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Shameless self-promotion: I just launched a pair of ExpressLRS receivers. Dual and single radio variants: https://www.anyleaf.org/elrs-rx-dualradio.

Open-hardware available here with KiCad files, schematic images, and gerbers/assembly files: https://github.com/AnyLeaf/elrs-hardware So feel free to make your own or w/e.

Props to goon CapnBry for playing a big role in writing and maintaining the ELRS firmware!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FWIW, I've considered a setup where a dedicated ELRS Tx/Rx pair is used to pass arbitrary information (Could be called the overloaded term "telemetry") from A/C to operator by hijacking the control channel data. This is probably only apt if you're using custom firmware on both ends of the link. Shouldn't be tough to do hardware wise, since ELRS has already handled the over-the-air stuff, which can be seen as the hard part. The rest is just unpacking and packing data as binary, and shaping it to fit the CRSF data specs.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That sounds great!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sweet! LMK if you have any Qs or suggestions.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

https://www.anyleaf.org/elrs-rx-dualradio <-- I just bought this Rx. I think it's really good.

I have two suggestions! But the first one is for everybody.

If you're from the USA, please watch this Youtube video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRHZP9nbpY

The more people who get in on this and write a letter to their congressman, the better.  But as a Canadian I don't have a congressman, so I can only encourage you to write yours. If you were Canadian I would ask you to please consider writing to Don Joyce at the DPAC organization: https://www.dronepilotassociationofcanada.com/contact/ instead.

2nd suggestion: Please look at this plane and think about what it's missing: https://rotorgeeks.com/wings-and-planes/pnp/zohd-dart-250g-wing-pnp

Did you find it? It's sub-250g, so it can fly BVLOS. But what about people who want to fly BVLOS?

Do you ever think about making a 900MHz/915MHz version of your dual radio receiver?  I've searched up and down aliexpress and there isn't a single true diversity 900Rx to be found.  There's one guy on ebay who sells them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295347519553?hash=item44c4158041:g:YdsAAOSwSgxjaGI7%A0 But he's got no LNA, no PA, no TCXO, and for all I know he's only got fake diversity like the Radiomaster RP3.  It's nowhere near as good as yours.  Something with your featureset in the 900MHz range would be the best possible hardware for anyone making a sub-250g LR FPV fixed wing.   (Or sub-1000g if the FPVFC has their way). (Please write your congressman)
Great vid; I hope things work out.

900Mhz diversity might be on the roadmap on the future, but need to knock out a few other designs first.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FYSA, this dude ^ knows what he's talking about re RF control links.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have a noob questionL Does anyone have a good guide for telemetry? I am building a sailboat and/or fleet of station-keeping buoy. I have normally relied on Goggles +_ OSD o view information about the vehicle. I recognize that ELRS Receivers also send limited information back, and can be modded to send arbitrary info using a protocol airport.

What do the ArduPilot/PX4/commerical users generally do? I understand they have ground stations that run Mission Planner directly? I'm interested in viewing the vehicle's position and other info on a map using its GPS data, and sending it commands, like to reposition. What devices handle the OTA part, and interface with the ground station? Thank you!

I feel like I am missing out on a key class of peripherals, with the overloaded word *telemetry* at the heart. I think the protocol is called MavLink? Not sure how it works OTA or over what hardware peripherals.

Also, this whole system is CAN, so it would be cool if the telemetry was CAN too, but not required. (CAN ELRS + CAN AHRS/GNSS + 2 of the AHRS devices without sensors populated for main computer and PWM servo interface respectively.

edit: I think Airport with ELRS may be the play in terms of cost and range. Also, I can repurpose existing hardware for this. There will now be 5 CAN nodes in the system!

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

There’s a couple different ways to do it, but they all have a telemetry link connected to a serial port on the pixhawk/cube/whatever flight controller is on the aircraft/boat. That telemetry link is a wireless radio that connects to an identical wireless radio on the ground that is connected to a PC or tablet. In many cases in commercial use, there is no RC receiver, and both telemetry data and RC data goes through the telemetry link. The protocol for the data is called Mavlink, and the data included or not, as well as the frequency of updates and baud rate, can be configured.

I don’t think there are any CAN options right now that are easy but I’m not sure. The fact that rest of the devices on the boat are CAN is cool but I think you will need a serial port.

Here’s a good starting list of telemetry radios commonly used as well as some documentation on them:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-landingpage.html

Thank you v much! Good to see all the options. There's even a Rust lib for MavLink.

I think to keep things simple, I'm going to:
- #1: Set up one of my CAN ELRS Rxes in Airport mode (done)
- #2: Configure the node to listen for a certain DroneCAN Node ID I made up, then pass through its payload to UART upon reception (done)
- # 3: Configure the main computer's firmware to periodically, over CAN, broadcast position, attitude, velocity, and a few related things over serial, as a byte array using a simple format (done)
- #4: Wait until the ELRS transmitter with USB arrives, somehow plug it into a PC, somehow read the data from the USB port, magic, then send back a packet that will do the reverse??

I was going to roll with MavLink and Mission Planner, but MP is sluggish, and has an involved UI; it may be easier to send and listen for only the data I'm using.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

V cool! This "receiver" here does indeed broadcast Wifi, although the Antenna is weak. So, essentially, you could pass 2-way data between the vehicle[s] and ground station using WiFi directly instead of the LoRa ELRS etc signal... clever. (Although likely much shorter range)

Currently, I confirmed the AirPort ELRS rx is getting the CAN packets. It should be broadcasting it to the ELRS MCU, but I'm not sure how to test that. Waiting on the transmitter to arrive.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 13, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Can anyone make an RID module, or does it have to be certified etc? Compliance process?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the info re RID. IIRC the costs for FCC-certifying an intentional radiator are > 10$ USD. So, factor. I was curious about the partial-compliance (with a non-certified, but working) device, and speculate you're right. We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks for the feedback re CAN! And great job to you and the rest of the ELRS team for making Airport so easy to use. Have this program set up currently; looking forward to water-testing it soon. (Pool -> pond -> lake -> ocean, gradually)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That is in better shape than 100% of my fixed wing attempts thus far. Usually ends in major structural failure and parts flying in all directions.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AP's 2Mb onboard flash requirement isn't helping in that area, especially with H7 stock still not recovered. (PX4 has the same limitation)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Some of the H7s we were talking about are now in stock at Newark. Hm... I should probably buy some and launch the thing. Lately on my own projects and design, I've been going kind of in the opposite direction, of decoupled systems using CAN as the link. Makes managing complexity easier, and re configuring the same hardware and firmware pieces for different uses.

With that in mind, I almost want to launch a CAN-based H7 FC that only has an IMU, USB, CAN, and maybe a few UART ports. The decoupling makes the H7 overkill in many cases in terms of both IO capacity and computing power required (Because in decoupled system, you can offload computing power and IO to the other nodes), but need the 2MB flash for AP and PX4 compatibility.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 1, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Are you thinking of maybe making CANbus accessories to go with the CAN-based FC? The existing CAN-based Optical flows are expensive, and the cheap ones take up a UART. Anyone trying to replicate DJI style omnidirectional obstacle avoidance is going to want at least 6. Right now you get the choice between running out of money and running out of UARTs.

https://holybro.com/products/pmw3901-optical-flow-sensor $20.59 - UART
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005461021773.html $89.90 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004881069964.html $121.83 - I2C
https://arkelectron.com/product/ark-flow/ $250 - CAN
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4000544595310.html $21.03 - UART (although it has SCL and SDA solder pads, I've never seen their use documented. And it's absent from the ardupilot wiki page

I don't know. Maybe there's potential in the matek.
Most def! CAN AHRS + GNSS and ELRS Rx out. Just ordered prototypes for a power module that passes cell voltages, total voltages, and current for the batt and 2 lines (5v and 7.4V). Also allows a backup batt for just the servos/electronics in case you run out of the main or w/e. No optical flow though! I think that would be a good addition to the lineup at a later point.

Ordered the H7 boards; it's now in stock at Digikey, at last.

So a hot take about CAN accessories. ArduPilot, PX4, iNav, and BetaFlight dominate the firmwares. And they're all very complicated; especially AP. Complex toolchains, complex config etc. I only half-joke when I say it's easier to write custom firmware than get AP working on a new target. (You need the right combo of undocumented incantations in the config file, and if it's not right, the error messages are often not helpful) I think CAN periphs are a way to short-circuit that, because you are offloading tasks that would be done by the firmware onto dedicated hardware that communicate with a standardized (or at least documented) interface. So, then if you want to make firmware for a specific use, or don't like the toolchains and config process of the OSS firmwares, it's more feasible to make your own. Because you are no longer worrying about reading datasheets for IMUs, baros, GNSSes, motor protocols etc. You don't have to code or adapt an AHRS. You are just writing business logic, and sending/parsing CAN packets.

I do have custom firmware for quads, but it's still quite complicated even for only 2 hardware targets. But in the future, I'm moving away from that towards decoupled systems using CAN, like that boat I posted. Another implication you may infer from this is it's easy to reconfigure a decoupled system into different types of vehicles or use cases, compared to all-in-one devices.

DreadLlama posted:

But according to it, h7 processors don't fit on 30x30 boards.
The BGA169 ones are 7x7mm.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 15, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Btw: I recommend against setting your charger to LiHv mode with a LiPo connected; this may lead to a thermal event.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zorilla posted:

That red connector is often referred to informally as "JST", but JST is a whole manufacturer (Japan Solderless Terminal)., so that can introduce a lot of confusion. The official name of it is JST RCY and it doesn't see a lot of use outside the toy grade space because it just doesn't have the current delivery needed for most applications. My old KingKong ET125 2S had one, and it somehow performed well despite the connector, but I'm sure a switch to XT30 would have helped.

Other common JST connectors include:
  • JST-PH - This is the one you meant to get. 2.0mm pin pitch and very common on 1S whoop class drones. Sometimes referred to as mCPX connectors due to their use on Blade mCPX helicopters.
  • JST-GH - 1.25mm pin pitch. Seen on a lot of old Horizon Hobby models like the Blade Inductrix that tiny whoops evolved from.
  • JST-XH - 2.58mm pin pitch (same as a servo connector, coincidentally). This is what is used for battery balance connectors.
  • JST-ZH - Far less common, but I do have an old Eachine VTX that uses this. Its distinguishing feature is that is has a release tab for extra security.
There could be a couple sizes I'm missing for connectors used to connect motors to boards, or flight controllers to all-in-one ESCs, or cameras, or GPS modules, etc.

Another connector worth mentioning is the Molex 51005/51006 (male and female have unique numbers). These are often referred to as Micro Losi due to its common use on that manufacturer's RC cars, but can be seen on many other (mostly) toy grade models. My XK K110 3D helicopter came with this, but its battery tray conveniently fits high performance 450mAh LiHV whoop batteries, so I eventually put a JST-PH 2.0 connector on it so it could really scream.
Some additions:

JST SH (1mm pitch) is ubiquitous on smaller quad builds, including for Vtx and ESC.

JST GH is ubiquitous on Pixhawks for most connection types, and is the standard for CAN connectors.

Generally, GH is nicer to work with because it's locking, but it's tall enough to cause clearance problems on small quads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hi! Does anyone know of any commercially available, reasonable price (Say, <$2k), or really, anywhere that has a posted price, systems that detect drones, through optical, RF, or radar? Thank you! (There are obviously many systems that have "ask us for a quote", and probably cost tens of thousands or more)