Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah we have this ice machine at work that makes a very loud noise when it turns on and my entire belly jumps like it's trying to make a run for it every time. I feel a little bad for traumatizing my unborn child, but it's also adorable :kimchi:

We have avoided breech no2 due to proper baby orientation (tm) so now we're on spontaneous labor watch. I'm trying for a VBAC (technically a TOLAC - trial of labor after cesarean) so that I don't have a 4-year-old jumping on my fresh surgical incision, so I'm trying to do everything I can to go into labor spontaneously before I get induced at 40+5. My odds of bad poo poo happening triple with an induction, but don't necessarily preclude the birth experience I want (low intervention if at all possible, everyone leaves the hospital alive and relatively intact). I'm trying to stay relaxed and not obsess, but that's not really the kind of person I am.

It's still weird considering a vaginal delivery like it's something that could happen to me (I had a scheduled C-section following a failed ECV from breech, and I've never been in labor at all). The first time around I felt so cheated of a "normal" experience, especially because I was in a prenatal group where everyone else had a traditional birth experience. It's like being told you're doing a triathlon, but then last minute you're told that you and only you are doing a marathon instead. It's still a big deal, but somehow you feel disenfranchised when it's time to check out bicycles and pick out your swimwear, especially when you all go as a group. Now I'm being told to just pick up my swimsuit and dive right in like everything is normal, and I don't know if I can do it.

Pregnancy in general has been very similar for me because I am NB and so much of this entire experience is aggressively gendered. It's incredibly isolating. I'm looking forward to just having a newborn, because the baby won't care about any of this poo poo, she just wants me to feed her and keep her clean and warm. I'm hoping focusing on the finish line will get us there as intact as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
So my little tadpole is onto night 3 of a stay at the children's hospital. Little munchkin hasn't been feeding well despite plenty of supply, and also had a high respiratory rate. I'm reasonably convinced he's got a dreadful case of "Brand New Baby" (TM) and this is all precautionary, but obviously we're sticking around to make sure he's okay.

I swapped out with my husband tonight so I can actually get some sleep. Still had to wake at 4am to pump, but oh well.

Despite being an anxious wreck most of the time, I'm a lot more relaxed about this than I thought I'd be. Going to hospital emergency, being ushered through immediately to a resuscitation bay was a bit scary, but even that wasn't too bad (especially because he perked up as soon as he was under a heat lamp - it's winter here and I think he got a bit cold while transferring him from the car to inside the hospital).

Fingers crossed we all get to go home tomorrow!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

froglet posted:

Fingers crossed we all get to go home tomorrow!
:hellyeah:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The one exact night where we don't have anyone available to take the toddler is the night #2 decides to start the whole birthing process.

So I'm in the waiting room with a confused 3 year old who is trying to both fall asleep and stay awake at the same time :tootzzz:

Edit: as I was posting this a nurse finishing her shift saw us and brought us a blanket :3:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

I had a fantastic night's sleep, and our little guy was allowed home, hurray! I'm now playing Zelda and waiting for him to wake up so I can feed him.

Tom Smykowski posted:

The one exact night where we don't have anyone available to take the toddler is the night #2 decides to start the whole birthing process.

So I'm in the waiting room with a confused 3 year old who is trying to both fall asleep and stay awake at the same time :tootzzz:

Edit: as I was posting this a nurse finishing her shift saw us and brought us a blanket :3:

Oof, hope it all goes (or went?) well!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Everything went smoothly minus the lil meconium dance where they needed to clear the kids airways out a bit. But everyone is healthy and happy and very tired

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Tom Smykowski posted:

Everything went smoothly minus the lil meconium dance where they needed to clear the kids airways out a bit. But everyone is healthy and happy and very tired

Good to hear it (mostly) went well!

Meanwhile, I'm two weeks in with our little tadpole. Sometimes I feel like I've bathed in milk, and not in the cool "medieval witch queen" kind of way.

Things I've learnt thus far: pumping = aggravating, pumping bras = rad, newborn photography = surprisingly time consuming.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

froglet posted:

Meanwhile, I'm two weeks in with our little tadpole. Sometimes I feel like I've bathed in milk, and not in the cool "medieval witch queen" kind of way.

I referred to this as my ‘milk goblin’ phase.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This just popped into my head, but after birth, and before you leave the hospital, make sure you get a piece of paper with these two numbers on it:

24 hour nurse hotline
pediatrician's office

And then call both of them to make sure they work as expected. I think in general every hospital has a nurse hotline you can call, if you can get a human on the phone at the hospital, then they can transfer you to the correct line/person, but the first time your kid gets sick at 3am and you/your wife is panicky it's nice to have the number taped to the fridge ready to go

Chances are, they will tell you to dose tylenol and wait an hour, but it's really nice in those first three sleep deprived weeks to hear from an authority that you probably don't need to go to the ER

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

This just popped into my head, but after birth, and before you leave the hospital, make sure you get a piece of paper with these two numbers on it:

24 hour nurse hotline
pediatrician's office

And then call both of them to make sure they work as expected. I think in general every hospital has a nurse hotline you can call, if you can get a human on the phone at the hospital, then they can transfer you to the correct line/person, but the first time your kid gets sick at 3am and you/your wife is panicky it's nice to have the number taped to the fridge ready to go

Chances are, they will tell you to dose tylenol and wait an hour, but it's really nice in those first three sleep deprived weeks to hear from an authority that you probably don't need to go to the ER

Great advice!

fyallm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 15, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

24 hour nurse hotline
pediatrician's office

Great advice!

I've been feeling unusually exhausted today despite Mr Froglet taking on our little tadpole overnight then running point with him for a lot of today and... I am pretty sure I am coming down with a cold. :negative:

This is going to suuuuck! :smith:

Gosh I hope Tadpole hasn't caught it :ohdear:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Anyone else agonizing over whether to have another kid? It would be our third. I am so, so torn. I feel like I would absolutely want a third if we had endless money. Alas, we do not, and I don’t know how to make this wrenching decision. (Also we have two boys and desperately want a girl, so that’s for sure part of it, but if we decide to try for a third obviously I will have to be okay with the possibility of ending up with three boys.)

Apologies if this isn’t appropriate for this thread, for some reason it feels like it belongs here more than the parenting thread.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Ultimately it's a very personal kinda decision, but I will say that a coworker had two boys, tried for a third to have a girl, and had twin boys instead

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I feel you. I go back and forth as to whether or not we could/should have another child. It’s a tough decision!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We have two and I kinda want a third before I or they get much older. My husband isn’t as excited about the idea so we’re at an impasse. I don’t want the eldest and youngest more than 10 years apart either so uh clock’s ticking.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I am so done at 2. I watched a funny video a couple of months ago that echoes my thoughts exactly. ‘When I had one, I wanted two, when I had two, I wanted one’.

I’m 38 in October and I just don’t feel like going through all the sleepless nights again when I’m pushing 40, plus the whole higher risk thing for the pregnancy and birth. Neither of my deliveries were straightforward and I don’t fancy more risk with my little lovelies at home.

Barely holding it together with 2, though I love them to bits.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I haven’t even had my first (20 weeks at 40 years old) and have started thinking about a second. I think it’s pregnancy brain.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Geez, what is up with this kid... I knew he'd eat more as time went on, but we've very suddenly gone from me being able to produce enough for him with a bit extra to freeze to me not being able to keep up with demand. D:

Guess I'll need to prepare some bottles of formula tonight...

zebra_shades
Jun 2, 2015
From everything I’ve read, if you push through the fussy/hungry/growth spurt days your supply will catch up, and adding in formula removes that hunger signal which can make it take longer for your supply to normalize. There have been many days where I don’t feel like I have enough but within 2 days it always gets better and she’s gained appropriately, so I’m sure it will for you too! Those days can be really rough though.

On the other hand, my 6 month old has been refusing a bottle since 3 months (after we took a bottle break of a couple of weeks because we got lazy) and I think maybe if we had kept doing a bottle a day we wouldn’t be in this mess! So no wrong answers, just go with what feels best!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

zebra_shades posted:

From everything I’ve read, if you push through the fussy/hungry/growth spurt days your supply will catch up, and adding in formula removes that hunger signal which can make it take longer for your supply to normalize. There have been many days where I don’t feel like I have enough but within 2 days it always gets better and she’s gained appropriately, so I’m sure it will for you too! Those days can be really rough though.

On the other hand, my 6 month old has been refusing a bottle since 3 months (after we took a bottle break of a couple of weeks because we got lazy) and I think maybe if we had kept doing a bottle a day we wouldn’t be in this mess! So no wrong answers, just go with what feels best!

Oh yeah, the thing that's added difficulty is that I'm primarily pumping, coz kiddo sucks at breastfeeding (and sadly he does not suck in a way that means he gets a good feed). So I'm driving myself mad having to pump, store the milk, wash the equipment, pour out bottles, etc, etc, and this is on top of sometimes offering him the boob to try and get him to breastfeed more so I don't have to pump as much.

Looking at the supply in the fridge, it's not as bad as I thought, but oof, I am making up some formula as a backup for tonight.

Meanwhile, kiddo has taken to sleeping with his eyes alarmingly open, and has also started wailing in his sleep, only to be "dead to the world" asleep by the time we've stopped what we were doing and checked on him. Good grief :ohdear:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I was able to exclusively breast feed with a bit of an over supply problem with my first, but I couldn’t make enough, even with pumping in between breast feeding sessions with my second, and formula saved my sanity and kept him from dropping off his single digit percentile growth curve.

Breastfeeding and pumping is super hard and time consuming, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with doing formula, especially if it gives you a break and keeps your kid fed and happy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else agonizing over whether to have another kid? It would be our third. I am so, so torn. I feel like I would absolutely want a third if we had endless money. Alas, we do not, and I don’t know how to make this wrenching decision. (Also we have two boys and desperately want a girl, so that’s for sure part of it, but if we decide to try for a third obviously I will have to be okay with the possibility of ending up with three boys.)

Apologies if this isn’t appropriate for this thread, for some reason it feels like it belongs here more than the parenting thread.

You can pick boy or girl if you do IVF, at least in the US--provided of course that you got both male and female embryos. If you're not willing to do that, well, I'll just gesture to all the families of 100 years ago that had 7 girls followed by a final boy and point out that, statistically, you have a 50/50 chance of having a boy this time too.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Koivunen posted:

I was able to exclusively breast feed with a bit of an over supply problem with my first, but I couldn’t make enough, even with pumping in between breast feeding sessions with my second, and formula saved my sanity and kept him from dropping off his single digit percentile growth curve.

Breastfeeding and pumping is super hard and time consuming, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with doing formula, especially if it gives you a break and keeps your kid fed and happy.

Thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one who finds it a bit much at times. Fortunately for us, I made up a bottle of formula and we didn't need it - either his hunger has slowed, or my supply has caught up. I gave it to him anyway coz it was ready to go and the fresh stuff keeps longer.

Today, I cut the little guys nails... And accidentally his finger. It bled a lot, then he flailed his little hand and it went everywhere. :negative:

I had to make him a tiny bandaid out of some surgical tape and a tiny bit of cotton bud so he wouldn't keep agitating it. :ohdear:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S47SXP3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My wife and I use this little gadget to cut the baby’s nails while she’s eating or otherwise distracted. It works great and is super safe.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

We used emery boards on our little guy's nails for the first month or two, because we were way too nervous about clipping them lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Aggro posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S47SXP3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My wife and I use this little gadget to cut the baby’s nails while she’s eating or otherwise distracted. It works great and is super safe.

We have the same thing, it works well enough for the price. The first thing I did was just jam it against my skin in various ways to make sure it couldn't cause any pain, and it passed the test. Only trick is to apply it such that the wheel is rotating down onto the nail, not up, or else the nail will "skitter".

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Super Librarian posted:

We used emery boards on our little guy's nails for the first month or two, because we were way too nervous about clipping them lol

Hell I still do that with my 6-month-old.

His nails just kinda disintegrate anyway, a couple swipes of the board and they kinda just break off somehow.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I chewed off my baby's nails until like 6 months at least lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My wife just shared this tweet with me:

https://twitter.com/dodo/status/723518981089419266?s=20

and I said "It YOU!" because she's at eight and a half months and pointed at her and she got the same expression on her face that the guinea piggy has in the photo and it was adorable

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The bean arrived. I love the bean. Will show her all the birbs

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey guys, I wasn’t sure where to ask this, so I hope it’s ok…I’m pretty sure I have a hernia related to my c-section. It’s been happening for a while and I tried to ignore it because the pain was so infrequent and hard to define, but now I think I figured out what it is. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somaen posted:

The bean arrived. I love the bean. Will show her all the birbs

Congrats! I wish you all the birbs to show them

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down
ah what the hell, im pregnant again. my 10 month old is an IVF baby, didnt know i could get pregnant spontaneously like this. how bad is 2 under 2 going to be? i am pretty stressed out because our remaining embryos were all PGT screened and this one could have so many issues and i wont know until they do NIPT next week. hope the little bean is okay since they made it 9 weeks in the oven so far.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mr. Freebus posted:

ah what the hell, im pregnant again. my 10 month old is an IVF baby, didnt know i could get pregnant spontaneously like this. how bad is 2 under 2 going to be? i am pretty stressed out because our remaining embryos were all PGT screened and this one could have so many issues and i wont know until they do NIPT next week. hope the little bean is okay since they made it 9 weeks in the oven so far.

Is there a reason to think you have a higher than typical chance for genetic issues?

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 10, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I literally had this conversation with an MD yesterday, they said there's a 90% chance that anything that would get caught on a PGT would also cause a miscarry, the PGT is largely a time/emotion saver. If you're over ~35 in vivo testing is probably not a bad idea to bring up with your provider, and yeah

sheri posted:

Is there a reason to think you have a higher than typical change for genetic issues?

if you're not flagged for anything, and you're under 40 probably not an issue

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Mr. Freebus posted:

My bestie had her first two kids via IVF after a decade of unsuccessfully trying the usual ways. When IVF baby 2 was just under 2 years old she had a surprise spontaneous pregnancy with baby 3, who turned out completely fine and healthy.

2 under 2 is hard, but honestly going from 1 kid to 2 kids is hard no matter what ages they are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peaches in paradise my wife pissed positive three times and she’s barely a year out from an emergency C-section from carrying twins while 5 nothin and 90lbs sopping wet

We already had the conversation and agreed about wanting to keep them, hopefully just the one this time

But any of you womb having goons have advice for what the ballsack parent should do? Last time I was pretty much useless, pregnancy seems like a terrible time and as the person who isn’t carrying a whole rear end human or two inside me I would like to be helpful this time round

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’d imagine your best move here would be to watch the two one year olds while she’s feeling awful.

While pregnant with my second I desperately wanted to take a nap like all the time, but had a merciless two year old. My partner being willing and able to take the kiddo out and about so I could collapse for a while was honestly the biggest lifesaver.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Echoing helping with your older kids as much as possible. They can't understand why parents are tired or sore or grumpy and their demands don't dwindle at this age.

It's not always feasible to take over all the chores from your partner so think about logistics of being huuuge vs housework and do/be ready to jump in with that specifically. E.g. kids generate so much laundry and getting it into/out of our stacked dryer became unwieldy, similarly anything that involved getting low to ground like tidying up toys or getting stuff out of the bottom of the pantry or reaching deep when the countertops/shelves push into your belly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

froglet posted:

Thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one who finds it a bit much at times. Fortunately for us, I made up a bottle of formula and we didn't need it - either his hunger has slowed, or my supply has caught up. I gave it to him anyway coz it was ready to go and the fresh stuff keeps longer.

Today, I cut the little guys nails... And accidentally his finger. It bled a lot, then he flailed his little hand and it went everywhere. :negative:

I had to make him a tiny bandaid out of some surgical tape and a tiny bit of cotton bud so he wouldn't keep agitating it. :ohdear:

An update to this - I have such an oversupply I am now donating to the local milk bank for premature babies.

It's kinda funny given that I thought I wouldn't have enough, but I'm happy I'm able to donate :unsmith: