Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Decided to go off contraception and this a weird stage to exist, knowing that there's a small chance of being/becoming pregnant. Don't want to really talk about it irl to anyone but feels weird and I wanted to tell someone!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Here we don't do baby showers/registeries/assorted pre-baby gifts but have government supplied baby boxes and they are loving awesome.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

10 weeks preg. :toot:

How do you deal with first trimester anxiety? My first ultrasound isn't until 13 weeks, and my stupid brain has decided that this has been all too easy, so something must be wrong. I don't want to tell my family or friends yet, so I'm just stewing. My husband is very understanding and reminded me that there isn't really anything we can do except wait but I feel hyperaware of my body all the time and it sucks.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Doll House Ghost posted:

10 weeks preg. :toot:

How do you deal with first trimester anxiety? My first ultrasound isn't until 13 weeks, and my stupid brain has decided that this has been all too easy, so something must be wrong. I don't want to tell my family or friends yet, so I'm just stewing. My husband is very understanding and reminded me that there isn't really anything we can do except wait but I feel hyperaware of my body all the time and it sucks.

Quoting myself: Had the ultrasound, everything's ok. Couldn't stop thinking "there's a tiny skull growing inside of me" during the ultrasound, which feels absolutely mad. :skeltal:

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah, here they are at 11-13 weeks and second one at 19-22 weeks. You could go private and pay 200€ for an early ultrasound but ehhh. There's also 8 scheduled nurse visits and 2 doctor visits during pregnancy, and three afterwards.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

Update: I may have finally turned a corner on this whole morning sickness business, thank goodness.

Also my little sister is due with her first 6 days before me!

My SIL is due 3 weeks before me, we're both having our firsts. My MIL's gonna freak out. :3:

froglet posted:

Joining the club. Annoyed I picked up on symptoms so drat early, I was hoping to be cheerfully oblivious for a while yet.

Welcome to the club! Hopefully it'll ease out a bit.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

At week 18, my 11-year-old cat is as ornery as ever. I think he might get a clue when we bring the beb home.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Congrats boquiabierta! Sounds like it was a wild ride. Great that you were able to switch hospitals, that first one sounds like hot garbage.

Also congrats froglet! Hopefully all goes well.

I'm reaching third trimester tomorrow, feels wild as hell. I've thought of myself as either 'mildly-pregnant' or 'medium-pregnant' til now (going to pregnancy yoga with a bunch of 37 weekers doesn't help) but now where moving to 'seriously-pregnant' era. Insomnia is getting real but thankfully I work from home so naps are fully on the table.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Lemon pastilles and little sips of sparkling water helped me a ton with nausea.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Things I can now not recommend scheduling for the third trimester: Moving! It sucks!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I've never heard that they'd offer pain relief here for breech manipulation, only something to stop possible contractions.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

How does that work with breastfeeding?

Here the local birthing hospital has a pretty sweet set-up with a hotel nearby - they have a whole floor of hotel rooms equipped with baby gear for patients. If you have no complications, they transfer you there and you can stay as a family for a few days after birth, with midwives and nurses on call 24/7. You can grab breakfast, lunch and dinner from the restaurant downstairs. Staying is free, I think the only cost is dad/birthing partner needing to pay for their own meals.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I made a drat baby!

I was convinced we'd go at least a week overdue because I had basically no labour indicators and baby was still hanging fairly high. I was also pretty sure that my labour would be long, mainly because they have been in my family I guess? Well, I was wrong on both accounts lol.

Woke up at 39+6 with my waters started dribbling. Hanged out at the hospital for 10 hours (positive GBS) with maybe five contractions coming during the whole time. Had my waters broken again manually and then things escalated pretty hardcore and I went from 0 to 10cm in 4-5 hours. The midwife at induction ward was taken quite by surprise lol. Baby made his grand entrance around an hour after that.

Those were some intense hours, enough that the idea of asking for pain medication sort of flew over my head so I mainly used TENS machine and squeezed a comb in my hand. At some point I croaked at the attending midwife that I might go crazy with the pain so I got a shot of oxy. They rushed to put an epidural at the last possible minute and half of it didn't take, so I felt everything with my right buttcheek and thigh. That was kinda fine? Helped me to push at least. Baby's heartbeats started getting weaker so het got assisted out with a plunger and I got an episotomy with extra tearing.

Baby is solid 10/10 and I can walk without a waddle again, so worth it.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 3, 2023

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Necronomicon posted:

So the little dude is now six weeks old. His weight is in the 7th percentile which is pretty concerning but he’s still gaining weight at the expected rate. It’s pretty hard not to feel anxious about it, especially since he had a tongue/lips/cheeks tie released a little over a week ago. One thing we have been doing is supplementing with a probiotic most days. Does that tend to reduce the frequency of pooping? He only pooped once today and I’m really trying to help my wife not freak out about it.

Also, my parental leave is officially over and it’s a huge bummer. I get another six week period at the end of the summer to cover the time until daycare starts, but it’s hard to know that I can’t be helping out as much. I work from home which is great, but I’m basically chained to my computer while I’m working.

Sup, my lil guy is 9 weeks and has been in the 5-7th percentile his whole short life. It's difficult not to freak out especially when his two weeks older cousin is way bigger, but he's gaining, just on his own curve.

Babies poo schedule seems to be all over the place - this kid has gone from pooing twice a day to once every three days to once a day. What we were told is that all of that is normal, as long as he pees on the reg.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What do y'all wish you had known or thought to do or buy in advance before the first child arrived?

Babies make the weirdest loving sounds while asleep, it's totally normal. Mine sounds like a robot dinosaur or a wheezy, cackling wizard at times.

On the third day they only want to eat, and might wake up every 20 minutes to do so. It'll pass!

In theory, you should put baby down to an empty crib without blanket or anything to sleep. In practice, that's a very different environment from womb and they will have a hard time adjusting to that. They will also wave their arms wildly and wake themselves up by smacking their own face. Learn to swaddle or buy a swaddle with velcro on it - the snug, warm feeling calms them down instantly. Warming up the bed beforehand helps as well.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

We combo fed in the beginning and changed into 100% formula fed at two months and we've made do with 5 bottles, handwashed and sterilized in the microwave. I don't mind the handwashing, it doesn't really take that much time imo. Just make sure you have a clean bottle at hand when baby is hungry.

Idk if Mam is a brand in the US but they have self sterilizing bottles you fill with water and pop in the microwave. Super easy.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My kid preferred carrier naps at that point, so I took a lot of walks. He vehemently hated prams until he was old enough to sit up in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah, I'd say contractions and the fact that you won't know how long you have to keep receiving them is way more intense and painful than tearing. I both had a tear, an episiotomy and a vacuum assisted birth and those were fine, because local anaesthetics exist and I was just pretty pumped up about the whole drat ordeal coming to an end.

Far more helpful would be practising mindful breathing and techniques both the person giving birth and support person can do to stay calm and as relaxed as possible during contractions. I pressed a fine toothed comb into my palm every time a contraction came, it helped me concentrate on something else than the pain.