Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
I’ve read the series a couple times through, and taking some sailing lessons made the reread immensely more enjoyable. Trimming sheet tension, building up speed for a tack, the thrill of heeling as you go not very fast at all, they all made the seamanship parts of the book come alive.

Also sailing is fun as hell on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

builds character posted:

Queenie is also super happy, right?

Also, like, alllll of the Sethians.

And I thought Dundas but that one is a little shakier in my recollection. (Time for a reread?)

Jagiello at least heads to the altar in happiness.

On the other hand, there are so very many books written over such a long time that it’s maybe not fair to give secondary characters nearly as much weight as the main ones. And if we were there’d always be Harte as a counterpoint. No spoilers on that one.

A number of Sethians went back to sea after their relevation that polygamy was cool and their wives’ subsequent revelation that they didn’t have to put up with that kind of poo poo

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

builds character posted:

Fair but the ones that didn’t should count double or triple. :colbert:

Unassailable logic

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There’s a formula for it! Im not sure if it’s the same for multi-mast vessels but for a single keel single mast it’s 1.34 x the square root of the length of the water line in feet.

A 78' Sophie would have a hull speed just under 12kn, and a 126' Surprise would have a hull speed of 15kn, for instance

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What exactly changed to almost double the speed? Engineering? Materials?

From some of the descriptions in the books it sure sounds like there was already a lot of advanced engineering involved with ship geometry.

W/r/t engineering, at least some ship designers would use rules of thumb for calculating volumes and centers of gravity instead of calculus into the early 20th century

withak posted:

It's fun you should take some dinghy sailing lessons.

This is extremely good advice

Kylaer posted:

I get that, that's airfoil physics. I understand how square-rigged sails can sail into the wind, because the spars get turned so that the whole sail is at an angle to the ship. But the geometry of the staysails confounds me. They're secured at three points that are all contained within the central longitudinal plane of the ship - one point to the mast in front of them, two to the mast behind them. How do they generate force in any direction other than "knock the ship over sideways?"

Remember that the staysail’s bottom rear corner (clew) is on a sheet of some length distancing it from central plane, so it sticks out to one side under power, like any other fore-and-aft sail

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
All of the main characters’ complexity outstrips their ability to self-reflect.

Though it’s a tough league to compete in, what with Stephen being right there.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Stephen's gooniness, like his ugliness, is heavily self-reported, and I think an omniscient narrator could draw a very interesting portrait. Bettany did a yoemanlike job portraying him but didn't explore this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Okay, now write five books just like that