Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm just a bit into Bonehunters, but I have a thought or two about the BOI stuff you are talking about. Spoilers: sometimes contemporary politics bleed into these books. Also don't read the K&B books, thats where the author puts all the stuff they can't help but write.

Deadhouse gates has a lot about how a Roman Empire speedrun treats tribal groups. Most are slowly destroyed, some get incorporated as "brand name cavalry," and the Wickans manage to pull off joining en masse and retaining their identity. Letting tribal groups join as an indigestible mass is great for them but a sign of the empire being in decline. The Barghast plot is about how an Imperial force could respectably ask a tribal group for help. At least partly to differentiate the Malazan empire from the historical Roman Empire. A tribal group actually getting some of their ancestral lands and grave goods respected is also an exciting development from a North American's perspective.

This group argues that our entire political system should be destroyed. Should we let them become one of our political parties: y/n?
The Chained god themselves is an rear end in a top hat for well established reasons. But giving all of their allies a chance to air their grievances with the existing system might yet pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm on Toll the Hounds and I'm getting the feeling this book was written while mad at critics. Don't write books while mad about stuff like that.*
Now I fear K&B book two was an accurate forecast of what is to come rather than a chance to blow off steam.

*You know exactly which pre chapter poem I am talking about

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Guyver posted:

Zombie velociraptors with knifehands makes perfect sense. If you had undead dinosaurs wouldn't you put knives on their hands?

I swear its a Fafred and the Grey Mouser reference.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
??? Darujhistan is great in my opinion. And Kruppe has his ups and downs but the scene where his motivation(s) are laid out is perfect.

Toll the Hounds has found time to be mad about literally anything other than the criticism of previous works in the series, hopefully it keeps it up.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah, once they get off the island even that half of the book is good. And the other half was already great!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We can't reply without spoilers. And we can't just post smilies. But keep on posting those theories. :munch:

On my personal trip I feel like I missed a chapter in Toll the Hounds? When did Iskaral Pust get the time of day from the high priestess of shadow? Then again I still can't remember if Hood's former Mortal Sword's daughter became Cotillion. Or if the body left in Deadhouse is largely unrelated to the plot.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The exact division is spoilers but yes, at this point things are following the other perspective. Keep an eye out for stuff that only happens because of the events of book 2!

Also make peace with not seeing the answers to some of your questions for quite a while.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
It isn't great. Not going to debate if this or her walking corpse form would be less appropriate to romance. But at least... moderate spoiler she hasn't shown up again as of book 8.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Forgot to post about this earlier, 2/3 of book 9 spoilers: it sucks what happened to all the Barghast, but I have to admire how the battle was deftly written not to answer the question of which side would have won. I probably would have been happier if hobbling remained just a threat. Also I love Sunshine and will be sad when his man in the street perspective is lost. I'm glad Icarium's Wizard of Oz/D&D interludes have stopped beating around the bush.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Reading book ten, about halfway through:

I really enjoy the way the humor ramped up right after we find out the Adjunct's plan is going to kill 99% of our beloved castmembers practically by design. Lmao at the Letherii standard. And at Bottle's inevitable collapse into a pile of worms. Happy to see Kruppe at least gets a cameo here towards the end.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Regarding your last point: Doesn't Shurq count as an adult? Admittedly she is more of a bad aunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
All of the brothers are good characters. You are far enough along I won't spoil that Hull Beddict is basically the male lead of a romance novel. And also dancing with wolves.

Tehol is practically a homage to Pratchett and it works more often than it doesn't.