Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thank you. This is really tough. So much of our day-to-day life was structured around Egon and now the house just feels empty. It's honestly a little bit liberating, but the lack of stuff to do and attention to pay makes it fall pretty flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really sorry for your loss.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Thank you. This is really tough. So much of our day-to-day life was structured around Egon and now the house just feels empty. It's honestly a little bit liberating, but the lack of stuff to do and attention to pay makes it fall pretty flat.

had that happen with my girl last year; you feel guilty about it but it's ok, it's not like you wouldn't trade that feeling for more time with Egon

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Big dog owners - I have a problem that I didn't foresee. Since moving to a house with a reasonable garden, there is now enough room for my 45KG husky/akita to get the zoomies. The problem with this is that if the ground is at all wet, when he corners he does so with enough force to tear up chunks of turf and send them flying. The result is that I've now got loads of small mud patches in my lawn.

What the hell can I do?

Get a dog park membership or start bikejoring. Wear the zoomies out of him somewhere not your backyard. Mine go on 2 mile+ walks a day which is fine for the senior dogs but the three year old thinks of it as a warmup for the Husky 500 in the backyard. He literally drifts he goes so fast and yeah, divots galore. You can always walk out and flip the grass back up over the hole and tamp it down with your feet if its torn up in clumps. But hey, at least he's not digging (yet)!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When she wants to sit and watch it’s like trying to move a rock.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Had to put this precious boy to sleep this morning. Feels like I'll never stop crying.

Goodbye, Radar. I love you so much buddy.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Top Gun Reference posted:

Had to put this precious boy to sleep this morning. Feels like I'll never stop crying.

Goodbye, Radar. I love you so much buddy.

I'm so sorry, he was a good boy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Very sorry for your loss friend.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Both of these goobers are great. :3:

Snacks and Violence
Sep 18, 2004

...and he kept stabbing them, again and again. He's a halfling, he's supposed to be jolly...Why isn't he jolly? WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?
This is my dog Riot. According to Embark he is 52% Rottweiler, 40% Cane Corso, and 8% Neapolitan Mastiff.

In this picture he is clearly resting after protecting his house from the UPS truck.

Here he is doing his best seal impersonation.

Here he is all handsome.

And, finally, one of my favorite pictures of him. He was around nine months old, all knees and elbows, his body had not caught up to his paws and head and he was clumsy as gently caress.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That first picture makes me think he snores.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Please appreciate Tracker's new toy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hi thread. So, it proved impossible (Impossible!) to live withtout a dane, so say hello to Sif!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh my god! 😍

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Crossposting from the vet thread. Hopefully this is the right thread, the other dog thread didn’t seem right since this isn’t a puppy/new owner situation. Will happily remove this if it breaks a rule.

Hi goons, my dad’s dog is doing pretty bad and is currently in the ER. I’m about to leave for the 5 hour drive down there to help out. Her name is Gurty.

13+, mutt with possible Boxer, saved from death row on her last day at the pound 12+ years ago.
Almost deaf, bad eyesight.
She started walking in circles in the living room, she will walk for 30-60 minutes and eventually lay down, but next to her bed instead of on it.
She also runs into corners and goes behind things like furniture, she kind of wedges herself in there and the gets stuck and just stands there. She knocks stuff over doing this too.

Video one:
https://youtube.com/shorts/6pSd9ECECNE?si=4WJDZlol3Mn90vta (idk why the gently caress this is a short)
Video two:
https://youtu.be/yGZROpj3HSA?si=DyQBxmeU0j2vRXQz

I guess it got worse and my dad took her to the vet ER earlier this week.
Vet said organs are good, bloodwork is good.
Has spine and bone problems, arthritis, but not super bad. Was still mobile until last night.
She was eating and drinking water but she won’t eat her treats anymore.
Vet kept her for a day and gave her an IV for dehydration, but she was doing better so she got to come home, with prescribed pain meds.
She seems to be having trouble controlling the right side of her body, the vet thinks it could be neurological.
She didn’t really improve after that.

Last night she laid down and was panting pretty hard and kind of shaking. Her back left paw was sort of twitching. She wasn’t able to get back up, my dad to help her. Eventually I went to sleep and I guess she deteriorated because I woke up at 4am with a bunch of missed calls, he had to take her back to the ER.

They think there’s something going on in her brain, possibly a tumor, maybe dementia, but we need an MRI to be sure. But even with the MRI, it’s unlikely they could treat her because she’s too weak to be anesthetized or go through chemo. The other option is the big sleep.

My dad has stage 4 cancer and this dog is his only companion and has been with him through some real hard times. He doesn’t want to let go. I’m driving down there now to help. He’ll listen to me when I tell him what to do next, so this is entirely on me at this point. I don’t want to tell him the wrong thing, but I’m leaning towards ending her suffering. She just looks done to me. But I wanted to get some goon opinions before I do anything.

FYI - I won’t be able to check for replies until later today since I’ll be driving.

Report from the ER visit:

Screenshot from FaceTime last night:

Better times:

Thanks for reading.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
drat I'm sorry to hear that... it sounds like your head and heart are in the right place though. Recovering from surgery at that age might be tough, and potentially hard on the budget. An MRI seems like a good idea, but I wonder what could be found that would be treatable. The vet would know best, really, what some outcomes might look like. From your description, my first thought was neurology, but I'm glad the docs were so thorough with their initial testing.

I hope your dad is doing ok.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

ILL Machina posted:

drat I'm sorry to hear that... it sounds like your head and heart are in the right place though. Recovering from surgery at that age might be tough, and potentially hard on the budget. An MRI seems like a good idea, but I wonder what could be found that would be treatable. The vet would know best, really, what some outcomes might look like. From your description, my first thought was neurology, but I'm glad the docs were so thorough with their initial testing.

I hope your dad is doing ok.

Thank you. Once we saw her, it was obvious that we couldn’t put her through any more. She passed peacefully, she couldn’t really see us and didn’t really respond at first but we put our hands up to her nose and she would take deep breaths and then finally relaxed. She did the Big Sigh that pets do when they’re super content. Then they gave her the injections, and now her pain is gone forever. It was the right choice. Thanks for the reply, it makes it easier to have made the choice.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello, big dog thread! I've had Alice for 9 weeks now.

18 week old American Mastiff

https://imgur.com/gXgcY3A.mp4

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Absolutely adorable.

My wife’s another big dog once ours hits like 2.

She loves her pup cups from Starbucks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Absolutely adorable.

I want a playmate for her, but she's also a very jealous dog and likes being the center of attention.

Love Great Danes. I grew up with 5 different ones.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Absolutely adorable.

Very pretty!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What an adorable monster

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Monster is a very apt description. Man, does she like to bite....everything and often!.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Monster is a very apt description. Man, does she like to bite....everything and often!.

It took my Mastiff until she was 5 months or so that we could sit anywhere near her without her biting our faces or tearing our clothing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello thread.

I have been informed by friends and family that my tiny fluffy puppy is no longer a tiny fluffy puppy, but instead he is a big 'ol dog.

I am seeking confirmation of my tiny fluffy puppy's status of whether or not he is a big 'ol dog, or still indeed a tiny fluffy puppy as I claim he is.

This is a photo when I met him at 3 weeks old

This is a photo when I first bought him home. Clearly a tiny fluffy puppy. He was 8kg (17lb).

This was a photo I took of him a week or two ago. He is now approximately 40kg (88lb), but I think it's very obvious that he is still a tiny fluffy puppy.

Can this thread confirm whether or not he is indeed a tiny fluffy puppy? I would be happy if I could post about my tiny fluffy puppy in the Big 'Ol Dogs thread even if he is indeed a tiny fluffy puppy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

H13 posted:

Hello thread.

I have been informed by friends and family that my tiny fluffy puppy is no longer a tiny fluffy puppy, but instead he is a big 'ol dog.

I am seeking confirmation of my tiny fluffy puppy's status of whether or not he is a big 'ol dog, or still indeed a tiny fluffy puppy as I claim he is.

This is a photo when I first bought him home. Clearly a tiny fluffy puppy. He was 8kg (17lb).

This was a photo I took of him a week or two ago. He is now approximately 40kg (88lb), but I think it's very obvious that he is still a tiny fluffy puppy.

Can this thread confirm whether or not he is indeed a tiny fluffy puppy? I would be happy if I could post about my tiny fluffy puppy in the Big 'Ol Dogs thread even if he is indeed a tiny fluffy puppy.

He needs to be even bigger, continue to post updates so we can monitor for size increases

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

H13 posted:

Hello thread.

You've posted three identical pics of a puppy, OP. Post more photos, we need a more granular data set of their alleged increase in size.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well my big 'ol tiny fluffy puppy turned 1. Which is why I was assaulted with claims that he is no longer a tiny fluffy puppy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRslFM9

Here are ~100 photos of him for the first year. I believe this is an accurate way to chart his obvious lack of growth in size, but his obvious growth in goodness.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sif is now 3 months and 30lbs. Currently working hard at becoming a very big girl.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sif is now 3 months and 30lbs. Currently working hard at becoming a very big girl.

Thaaaaaat's a face

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

H13 posted:

Well my big 'ol tiny fluffy puppy turned 1. Which is why I was assaulted with claims that he is no longer a tiny fluffy puppy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRslFM9

Here are ~100 photos of him for the first year. I believe this is an accurate way to chart his obvious lack of growth in size, but his obvious growth in goodness.

Your house is shrinking

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tendales posted:

Your house is shrinking

They need to stop zooming in so much on the puppy.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
UPDATE

He's having a good day.

H13 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 6, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It was my dog's birthday yesterday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That is an excellent dog, happy birthday to them! :toot:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

"Please don't go to work today"

Goddamn heartbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Everything you need is right here.