Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is London we are like 90% sure she’s a Great Dane but she’s a rescue so we can’t be for sure unless we DNA test her.

This was when we first got her at the beginning of August.

These are more recent pictures. She’s 5 1/2 months old and about 65 lbs lol

first day of puppy school

First long car trip to big bear.

Enjoying the cabin in big bear

Waiting for mom to come back with a coffee during our walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's definitely a Dane.

Yeah I’m pretty sure she is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

100% Dane. Enjoy your new horse lol. Watson went from 51 pounds at 4 months to 80 pounds at 6 months so you’re probably right in the middle of her growth spurt, expect her to be closer to 100 pounds in a few months!

lol amazing!

She’s been pretty amazing so far but drat can she be stubborn sometimes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! She’s been kinda a lot of work trying to get her to leave the cats alone because she always wants to play with them and she’s so big we don’t want her to hurt them. She’s pretty good about it now but she still boops them every so often.

They mostly don’t care about her though so that’s good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Is this your first Dane? We've had 3 so far so if you have any questions specific to the breed please ask! You are also in the age where she's going to be a complete pain in the rear end most of the time lol She'll mellow out at about 2 years old :)

Yeah it’s our first one and…. We’ve heard the same thing about the 2 year mark lol.

That is a long ways away….

Honestly she’s not that bad it’s just that she’s so drat big when she gets the zoomies it’s like a freight train running around lol.

Do you have any recommendations for good edible chew toys? I got some chicken ones from costo but she blows through one in like 20 min lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

What are you feeding her food wise?

Thanks!

We have her on Royal Canin large breed puppy food as that’s what the vet suggested it’s kinda expensive but :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya that's a good food. We went through a few foods before we settled on Costco's Kirkland brand for both pups. Watson eats twice a day, 3-4 cups per time, we go through food pretty fast lol

Yeah we had her on that when we first got her because that’s what the rescue was feeding her. The vet recommended a switch because of something about her tendons or something I dunno lol

Honestly it’s more expensive but it’s not that much more. I’m getting a big bag of the Royal canin for $70 and it’s lasting her a month right now at 3 cups 2x a day.

I think my wife spends more money on the cats food and treats though lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya the way Great Danes grow is a little different than how a regular sized dog grows. They grow at a much faster pace than say your standard lab or retriever, so they need higher quality nutrients and more of them. Generally high-quality large breed puppy food is fine, just keep an eye on her feet, look up great dane knuckling and you'll see what can happen when they aren't getting the proper nutrients in their diet.

Ok yeah that is what he said might have been starting with one of her paws which is why we made the switch.

quote:

Start getting her accustomed to nail trimming now if she's not, they grow super fast lol. We use a dremel and it does a great job but it took him a few times doing it to get used to having it done, we still have to use peanut butter to distract him lol

Are you using a specific dremel? We haven’t been too good about that and I know that’s something we should be doing.

She’s actually in puppy school a few days a week (it’s fuckin expensive) and they said they work on the dogs when it comes to paws and teeth so they’ve been doing it at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Any dremel should work and then we have this bit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TY9S15W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What we do is smear some peanut butter on a paper plate and freeze it for an hour or so. Then we have a large play pen that we put them in and my wife will hold the paper plate and I'll do the nails. The paper plate with the frozen peanut butter keeps them distracted enough that I can do their nails.

Now, the Dane I had before Watson we would take to a groomer and he was so used to having his nails done he'd walk right in and get right on the little bench thing the groomer had and just stand there while she did his nails. We got him when he was 1 and we think someone trained him really well for him to do that lol. Watson tolerates it enough but it's still a 2 person job to get it done.

Amazing thanks! I’m gonna order that and we can start on it next week when we are both home with London.

Really appreciate it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah she's generally ok with the baths so far tbh.

She doesn't really smell but what smells though is her fuckin spit on everything! I've washed her blankets and they still smell lol

If I sniff her though she has like no smell at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin adorable.

So I think my girl has an ear infection and she has an appointment tomorrow with the vet. I wasn't sure about ear cleaning so does anyone have any recommendations on dane ear cleaning?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I asked the vet for a product and the one they gave me works great. I don't have any experience with the store bought stuff, but your vet might have something.

Yeah she’s going in tomorrow morning so I’m sure they will give something. I just feel bad that her ears are giving her problems. Everything on the internet was saying only let the vet clean them and stuff. So I don’t know if we did something wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devmd01 posted:

A good boy coming in for an appointment.

Dats a good big boy there

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tis the season

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

She tolerates this one less lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really sorry for your loss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When she wants to sit and watch it’s like trying to move a rock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Very sorry for your loss friend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh my god! 😍

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Absolutely adorable.

My wife’s another big dog once ours hits like 2.

She loves her pup cups from Starbucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What an adorable monster

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Dane is 1.7 years old. When the gently caress do they get lazy? This girl never wants to stop!

I love her but when I get home at midnight that’s not play time!

It’s also not playtime at 7am!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My previous Dane chilled out around 4 years.

Current one:

I'll bring her to work and she'll go to her bed and sleep. I come home and it's constant playtime.

4???

This is not what I signed up for lol

Yours is so drat cute.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I was lied to with this big dog thing.

I love her so much but I’m going to tell everyone the big lazy dog thing is a myth. It’s all lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I went to a tennis open yesterday and they had Great Dane sized tennis balls for sale.