Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, how did I miss this thread.

I have 2 Great Danes and they love getting their picture taken and love people.

First up is Archer. He just turned 2 years old and weights about 120 pounds. This picture was taken last year and he's filled out a little since.

I rescued him from the local humane society just over a year ago. The lady who dropped him off said everytime she left her house he destroyed it. When asked why not crate train him, she said her house wasn't big enough to do that, what was she thinking getting a Great Dane then???

Next up is Gracie. She's my 7 or 8 year old girl who may have some Mastiff in her. I've had her going on 5 years now and again she was a rescue from the humane society. When I got her she had just had puppies, her previous owner kept the puppies and got rid of her. :( She clocks in at about 140 pounds and is much thicker/rounder than Archer, but shorter.

This is what they do most of the time

And this is when I busted Archer on webcam climbing the bookshelf in my living room.

And this is Gracie being silly

Both again, they like to play together outside, but Archer still being somewhat of a puppy plays pretty rough with Gracie and I'm afraid with her being older he's going to jump on her wrong or she's going to land wrong and hurt herself so I try and keep them to limited playing.

I could seriously post images of them all day, they love having their pictures taken and I probably have hundreds of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AcetylCoA! posted:

Well, what's stopping you? :colbert:

You asked for it! :)

Gracie was not amused at having her picture taken!

My new hat!

Dad enough with the pictures already!

This one, I woke my girlfriend up I was laughing so hard. Archer was passed out, like completely passed out, so I decided to have a little fun :) He decided to eat that hat the next day :(

Gracie meet goat, goat meet Gracie

Such a cute face!

Gracie likes to stick her tongue out at you.

Spoiled rotten

How he sleeps most of the time.

This is ours now

This too..

Archer likes riding in the back of my Jeep too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: Is Gracie okay medically? Because if she is, it would probably be super beneficial to her to cut back on her food. She looks like a doll, but all that extra weight on her joints at that age can make her more apt to be sore. And oh god I'm not trying to be a dog weight sperg.

I enjoy your new hat quite a lot (and clearly so did he apparently, I bet it was delicious). I bet Archer runs forever in that ball park, doesn't he? Because gosh those front legs look like they're made for flailing all over the place in the happiest way.

And I bet that bookshelf isn't all he climbs. :3:

Gracie has a thyroid problem and is on medication for it and has had her food cut down. It's ok and I appreciate the concern, we know she's over weight and we have been working on it. She still loves to play and oh man, when she gets moving in the backyard lookout because she will knock you on your rear end and 140 pound dogs just don't stop on a dime lol.

Archer runs like a Greyhound. He is incredibly fast and pretty nimble for his size, he loves going to the ball field to run. I have a pretty big back yard and he has worn out the grass along the fence and around the whole yard where has made himself his own track he runs!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: Nooo, Gracie. At least you're trying with her, because there's not a lot of owners that'd bother and... yeah. I know all about the 140 pound thing. I got crushed by a rampaging Balen the other day for the first time in years. My knee is popping really cool.

You realize we need some videos of Archer running around like a goofball right?

Gracie is living a good life so don't worry about her, she's just a little chunky that's all, or big boned as she likes to say :)

Video as requested, this is probably 4 months ago or so, he's a little thicker now, still pretty lean though, we don't think he's going to get OMG huge, just fill out a little more and be more muscular.

http://youtu.be/Ze9ZQxHENUA

Here's Archer and my girlfriends dog Paisley who is a basset mix. This is in my old house with a smaller back yard so you can kinda get the idea of how fast he is, he's probably going about half speed in this video lol. And yeah I know the grass needed to be cut :)

I swear when he gets going full speed and goes to turn his side is almost rubbing the ground he gets so low!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's amazing how much she looks like my Sage in this picture, facial expression and all. She's out on the porch in the unseasonable sunshine doing this right now, wanting more tummy rubs. Gonna hafta go love that belly some more. :3:

Also, there's no excuse for not posting more pics, mister. :colbert:

Alrighty!

It's amazing how small they can make themselves. Archer can curl up into a real smallish ball when he wants to.

Like daughter like father?

Archer and Paisley blowin in the wind

Yes, he gets most anything he wants with this face.

Seems fond of my girlfriend too

Enjoys long walks and drinking out of water fountains!

Dad, this bed isn't too small for me!

Me either dad, see!

Graduation day from puppy classes!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Wound up getting 4 of 6 puppies and 0 adults yesterday. Other 2 pups were "promised" to someone :jerkbag: . The location in question was a trailer in a field, surrounded by fence - with 5 female and 1 male adult Danes all running loose, barking like mad and the male randomly attacking the others every so often. 3 of 5 females had full teats or teat sag and the male was not neutered (like that's a surprise.)

box of spuds:

(Box = redneck pet carrier, not my idea)

Supposedly negotiations are in progress to get the mother of these guys and the lone male out of there.

EDIT to add: http://youtu.be/OO6RUZTaX0k

OMG I want them all!

Are you a rescue place or what? That's a box full of cuteness right there.

edit: ok I see that you do rescue dogs. You are doing Gods work!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Xmas pictures!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went to Dave and Busters for my birthday and won this huge stuffed giraffe, we named him Gerry and he seemed to take a liking to Gracie.

Which was fine by her because yesterday she decided to use him as a pillow after an exhausting day of unwrapping presents!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys are slackin on the big dogs pics! :)

Here's Archer riding in my Jeep! My girlfriend was following behind me and he was keeping an eye on her.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Please don't let your dog have a huge area where it can get out of a moving vehicle, man. Even if he's never done it before, it's entirely possible something will catch his attention. Even if he's tethered in, he could break that tether if he really wanted to because he's a great dane. Or if you wreck, he's probably really, really screwed.

I know it sounds silly, but there's a whole lot of dogs that die every year because they jump out of a moving car or get pitched out of them and Archer is way too cute to be one of them. :smith:

Normally he's lays down in the back, and I always have a hold on his lease, but yeah I hear what you're saying.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cryingscarf posted:

Quoting for truth. We had a client at work (dog daycare) who always drove with her window open and her dog was always fine. Until one day when she was driving into our parking lot, the dog got excited, jumped out the window and she ended up hitting her own dog with the car. He had back issues for a while but recovered... and then I saw her driving down the main road in town with the window open, dog sticking his head out again. I kind of blame the whole "Nothing is happier than a dog with his head out the window!" attitude people seem to have. Don't be this person. Learn before a bad thing happens, because yes, Archer is way too cute to be one of the unlucky ones.

Also, another thing you can do to keep Archer safe is to post more photos of him. :3:

Got the message guys thanks :)

Ask and ye shall receive!

The g/f made a giant bed for Gracie, but Archer seems to like it too. When we are in our living room Archer usually sits on the couch leaving Gracie no where to sit, so now Gracie can hang in the living room with us and have her own bed.

This is what happens when they are left alone and decide the couch is theirs!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thwomp posted:

What kind of design was used there for the bed, if you don't mind me asking?

My wife makes blankets like that on occasion and Linus keeps outgrowing whatever bed we get for him. It'd be a lot nicer to just make one for him instead.

It's something she found on pinterest. It's just two large pieces of fabric, a bunch of stuffing and then you cut 2 inch lines all the way around and tie it in knots. I think it took her all of 30 minutes and like $10 to do.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cryingscarf posted:

I fixed that for you.

Haven't posted Archer and Gracie in a while so here you go :)

They both have gotten to like hanging around in my garage when I'm working on my Jeep.

I was eating dinner one night and had an audience.
Dad, just a little bite please!

So Gracie was sitting on the couch as was I, Archer feeling left out and knowing that the corner is usually his spot, gives no fucks and decides to sit on Gracie. Gracie just sat there, giving a, really, you're gonna sit on me look.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys liked Archer right? :)

This dog lives the life let me tell you!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, that's really living the good life. Please tell me that you have another named Lana. Or Mallory.

I wish! I already had Gracie before I got Archer.

Although as you can see he has the same personality of Archer lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Amy quick! There's a camera! Do a dumb thing!

Good dog!

Is she on your kitchen table? Lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Archer was ready to goto work this morning when I reminded him that he is in fact a dog and does not have a job! He was disappointed.

Gracie wanted in on the fun too!

This is Archer's "I'm ready for business" look.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Where all my big dog friends at?

I need to take some new pictures of Archer soon.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here's Archer!

Little side tongue action for ya!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Have to take Gracie in for xrays tomorrow. She hurt her front leg somehow last week and the medication helped her a bit, but now she is having issues with her hind legs. A lot of the same symptoms of hip dysplasia :(

When we took her to the vet last week she had lost over 25 pounds since the last time she was in so that was promising. The rear hip thing started almost later that day though :(

She's having trouble standing up sometimes, like her rear muscles just aren't working and walking her hips are swaying a lot more than they normally do. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and still wants to play, she's just a little wobbly when walking. She was originally put on some anti-inflammatory meds for her front paw and reading the side effects one was loss of co-ordination so we were hoping that was causing the wobbly walking, but after having her off of those meds for a week her hind legs are still an issue. She's going on 9 years old so it was about time for some issues to come up, just sucks seeing her like this when just a few weeks ago she was running around the yard like a crazy girl.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Balen had that issue. He was actually falling when he tried to climb into bed and tried to get up. 150mg of vetprofen a day has fixed him up to the point where gallops around the yard again no problem. Hopefully you guys have the same luck

Oh man, here's hoping too. Just pains me to see her struggle to even get outta bed. Once she's up and walking it's not so bad, just sometimes seems her back legs give out on her completely and makes me all :cry:

Here's a picture of Archer in his normal sleeping position to lighten the mood.

Note that the couch is big enough to comfortably hold 4 adults or 2 Great Danes

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 29, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

ERMAHGERD!!!!!! SNERRR! :derp:

He's kinda scary looking in this :ohdear:

Snow brings out Ozzie's maximum derpiness. :3:

Sage is unimpressed, as usual.

...and always slightly out of focus. :argh:

Ozzie trying to look cool and composed.

Great pictures! I think my dogs would freak at snow. My boy doesn't even like to get his paws wet after it rains and he has to go outside and pee!

Also, Gracie and Sage could be long lost sisters!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 13, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spoiled rotten.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I love that tragic look Danes get, no matter how pampered they are being at the moment the photo gets taken. Danespair.

It's funny, my fiance took that picture and said he sat like that for a good 10 minutes while she was getting ready for work. As if he was saying, I am the king of this house, all of this is mine, I just let you guys live here with me. Most of that is true..

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

Big, slobbery, clumsy but well-meaning dogs are the best thing in the world. My place is to small to have one.

So post more pictures and let me live vicariously through your gorgeous dumbasses.

Ok!

This is his spot on the couch, if I'm sitting there and he wants to sit there he will just climb up on me until I move outta his way. Most spoiled rotten dog ever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gracie is getting up there in age as well. A few weeks ago she was having trouble laying down and sleeping and kind of breathing in really shorts breaths. A vet visit showed a slightly enlarged heart and some swelling in her abdomen. She'll be 9 or 10 this year so some of these issues are expected so she's on 3 different meds now and is thankfully back to her normal goofy self. She is starting to have issues with her hind legs again so we've got her on some arthritis vitamins to hopefully help with that. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, just sometimes her rear end kinda gives out on her, she still tries and run around like she's a puppy still so we have to watch her with that so she doesn't hurt herself more. Dam old age :(

Archer is his normal silly self, he'll be 4 in November.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

For #1000 I present

Dog enjoying ride in Jeep

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Have some more dog riding in Jeep pics!

And this is how he spends most of his day.

And on a sadder note, we lost Gracie a few weeks ago. Just too many heart problems turned into other problems and she went downhill pretty fast. We felt the best thing for her was to end her suffering as there really wasn't anything we could do for her. It was probably the hardest thing in my life I have ever done and I cried like a baby. I was with her till the very end and I know she's in a better place now. I like to think I gave her a good life and she definitely helped me through a lot of things in my life.

A pic from one of her last car rides. She looks so happy here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo this is awesome, if this doesn't bring a smile to your face you're probably broken!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Aww, man. I love Pyr's. :3: I miss mine. I can only imagine the amount of hair in the house with two of them. They're fantastic dogs though.

My roommate and I picked up a rescue Great Dane about 2 weeks ago, he wandered into the neighborhood with no collar or microchip, and we haven't been able to find anyone looking for a Dane. He was absolutely starved to death when we found him, and has been doing very well since the worming (tapeworms and round). The vet thinks he's about 10 months, and he was 98lbs while skin-and-bones. For comparison, Ozzie was a healthy 90 lbs at the same age. He's gonna be huge if the starvation didn't stunt his growth. He's a big, dumb, goofy sweetheart. After a couple weeks with no responses, I'm kinda feeling better about hanging on to him. He picked a good house to wander up to. I'll try and get some pics up later; they're mostly on my phone and I've been having trouble uploading them.

So a Great Dane basically walked into your life?! That's pretty freakin amazing! What color is he? If he's a harlequin I'm going to come steal him!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Yup, little feller just wandered up. He was really easily spooked at first and wouldn't come to anyone; in fact he ran if you tried to talk to him. I could tell he was starved, so I tried putting some food out for him, but he wouldn't come to it. My roommate and his son decided to take Ozzie and Sage and some Milk-Bones and see if they could coax him in. He started running from Ozzie, which meant the chase was on. Ozzie ran him around the car lot below my house, and then he ran straight to my roommate and wouldn't leave. He let us put a leash on him and came up to the house for a bowl of food, now he won't leave. :haw: He's black with a white blaze on his chest and belly; basically a younger male version of Sage.

So awesome. We keep going back and forth on getting another one. We'd love to get someone for Archer to play with as our other dog a basset/beagle mix just isn't quite big enough to play rough with him. They try to play but it always ends up with Paisley getting annoyed and nasty with Archer.

Here, have a picture of Archer being a goof

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Doing well!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

So, I have been following this thread because giant dogs have always been my favorite. I moved to my own 2-bedroom apartment that is actually very big in size. It is just me, my cat Jinx, and my reptiles. I wanted to rescue a dog and had been keeping my eye on the humane societies around here. I am not allowed to have anything pit, chow or doberman related and most of the larger dogs were pit or dogs that require way too much exercise, like husky or german shepherd types. I was lamenting to my friend about disliking most small dogs and any of the ones at the humane society that I had been seeing were yappy, high-strung dogs. She called me last week and said that a box of 3 Great Dane puppies had been dropped off at her work (pet hotel). I have done a lot of research on them and felt like I was in a good place to be able to take one of the puppies. I did NOT want a puppy but it was too hard to resist. Luckily, since these were likely BYB puppies that someone couldn't sell, I have very good credit, Care Credit, and will be able to get pet insurance. I did all the research I could on bloat and common issues with the breed and went down to pick up one of the male puppies. He is the weirdest puppy I have ever been around. He is playful but sleeps all the time, goofy but not overly crazy like most puppies, and he watches me or argues with me while I am training him. He seems like he is making up his mind as to if he wants to listen to me or not. He has tried to make friends with the cat, but a few bops on the nose has quickly made him realize that the cat doesn't want to be his friend. I am TERRIFIED of doing something wrong so I have bookmarked a ton of articles on how to feed, exercise and deal with large breeds. He has a vet appointment Wednesday but looks very healthy.

Without further ado (and to prevent any sort of explosive puppy), I give you Brody (named for the Jaws character).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dane ownership! He's going to be too big for that cage in about 2 months lol! Dane's have awesome personalities as you're already seeing and yes they do sleep a lot! You're in for a hell of a ride! :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Drum posted:

]

I love this thread, and I'm a sucker for Danes. There's a nearly 11-year-old one that comes in for boarding and he just melts into you. :3:

Archer says 'sup :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That line up for those danes is the most correct thing for the conformation show ring ever, in that there is one "pity" black dane, maybe another "pity" harlequin out of frame and everything else is ridiculously oversized fawns and brindles that can't even chase down a rabbit. It makes me nuts but once you get to a certain level, people just sneer anything other than fawns and brindles away because the black-bred lines are breeding down and making dogs that don't fall apart at age 4 while the fawn people just keep breeding them bigger and leggier with insane deep chests that let their internals stretch and roll like they're in a taffy factory.

:) I have feelings about danes.

*gently covers archer's ears* You get a pass from my dog racism. Good boy.

(jfc he's like five now isn't he?)

Yeah, he turns 5 in November :)

He was supervising yard work the other day, he's a great supervisor.

Tired after supervising and needed a nap! I don't think his eyes could have been closed any tighter lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

beergod posted:

So helpful lol. Any ideas?

I feed Archer natural balance and he loves it. The great thing is too, they have a bunch of different flavors and you can switch the flavors up without upsetting the dogs stomach.

Here he is after a long walk.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Hi fellow big dog havers!

This is Dan. Dan had a rough life, we think he's about a year old but it's hard to be sure because we don't know where he came from. He was found wandering in the forest near where I live and it took 2 weeks for the rescue society to capture him. He was in pretty bad shape, malnourished, terrible coat problems and some utter fucker had done some amateur surgery to remove his microchip (presumably he'd been deliberately abandoned and the owners didn't want him to be traced back to them).

We brought him home after he'd been in the shelter for a couple of weeks and fell in love with him.

untitled-5.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

He loves playing in the snow

IMG_4628.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Running around in the mountains

IMG_5505.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And sleeping.

Kiev19032.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

He's a giant marshmallow and such a good boy. The only bad thing is that he doesn't understand the difference between shoes and toys.

Dan is awesome!

Did you post that snow picture on one of the Great Dane Instagram pages? I feel like I've seen that pic before

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

I posted it on my Instagram, I don't remember it getting featured or reposted anywhere else. I certainly didn't get a credit for it if that happened.

Perhaps we are Instagram friends and don't even know it lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So this little poo poo in the past 2 weeks has figured out how to open the door to our garage. So when we leave he opens the door, sees that we are gone and then when we come home he comes out into the garage to great us now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFH-_waNpo

So yeah, that's new lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nemico posted:

My place has a couple of lever handles like that and my dog knows how to open them, as well. But would he, a dog, ever do a bad thing?

This little angle

Nah, he's a good boy lol