Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm moving into a housing association place soon. It's cheap as gently caress compared to everything else here, and it's in a fairly decent neighborhood. Only big issue that came up so far was the fact that the door between the two rooms isn't in the planned position, but rather in the middle of the wall. But I'll deal. Something I'm a little worried about is the fact that it is the top floor just below an attic, but supposedly it is well isolated.
Anyway, I've estimated I'll have about twenty boxes of stuff to move, and the plan is to get a truck anyway.
I'm really not sure how to transport the few furniture items I'm taking along. It seems like a pain in the rear end to disassemble and reassemble, but they are fairly large cabinets. What's the advice for transporting disassembled furniture?
Also, local supermarket has a pretty decent & cheap washing machine on offer this week, but the place is still being renovated :(

Since the place is completely renovated, I'll have to supply my own kitchen. I don't have much space in there, but also I'm not really wanting to spend money. Is there any consensus on oven/stove AIO solutions? Or should I just cough up the cash and get an IKEA kitchen and maybe place some cheaper electronics in it?

(In Austria btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

photomikey posted:

Google Sketchup, but it's a lot of work.

Actually it's really easy if you have current plans or get some measurements yourself.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Can I ask why it gets sealed for a month?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I don't see how they can "seal" the place legally, just get in there and salvage.

E:
They can certainly declare it unsafe for living, but salvage work can be done in unsafe environments, and if it's been scrubbed it isn't even unsafe.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Toshimo posted:

The porch fell off, the door's been removed, and it's boarded up with plywood.

The entire neighborhood is still limited daytime access enforced by the police to prevent looting.

Well it's your choice, but I wouldn't let my stuff rot in there for a month because of arbitrary "U NO ENTER" rules set by landlord/etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

insidius posted:

So I am living in a place that grows mould at an impressive rate. The answer from the landlord has been "Keep making noise about this and I will evict you" to which I rang my states tenancy advocacy group and was told that I would win any case in which they attempted to do that and then lose a month later when they evict me for "No reason given".

Long story short I have been on the hunt for a new unit for a while and I must say the one thing really irking me is just how often what you see in any given advert is not even close to the reality upon inspection. I inspect a place on the weekend which in the ad looked like a really impressive unit. I get there and its yellow stained carpets and walls with a roof full of mould that the agent tried to explain away with "Oh, its just been locked up for a week and that is why its bad".

Yeah...no.

God this hunt is slowly sending me insane. I am stuck in a complete poo poo hole and despite having now seen thirty units in just over a month I seem unable to find anywhere that is less of a shithole despite my budget rising. So in the meantime I just sit around huffing my mould spores while trying not to go insane.

Why don't you fight the mold in the meantime?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Toshimo posted:

I moved the bulk of my stuff (from the subset that was deemed keepable) from my old apartment to the new one yesterday.

I woke up this morning to a tap-tap-tap sound from the kitchen.

The hose from the wall to the washing machine spring a leak overnight and ran all over the kitchen floor.

My aquatic misadventures continue.

Even the cheapest of washing machines here boast with double layer water leak detection hoses.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

vonnegutt posted:

I've only ever lived at places with single landlords. It's super common in the eastern US. I hate dealing with bureaucracy and would rather just talk to a person. That said, there's definitely room for some weirdness.

- Older guy renting a historic building, was super weird about maintenance. Insisted on replacing light bulbs himself because "the light fixtures are hard to remove without breaking them". Often came home to find him in my apartment, changing light bulbs. (How did he know they were out?). The one time I called him for maintenance, he was in Portugal.

- Middle-aged gay guy who was super nice, very helpful, and did all the maintenance himself (except electric & plumbing). Exclusively referred to my cat as a pussy, ie, "I'm having the maintenance guy come over to look at your leaky faucet, can you make sure your pussy won't get out?"

Obviously he walks into your flat every day and checks. Any place where the owner enters into a place is the most hostile living environment I can possibly think of and I'd put a stop to it immediately. Luckily no one besides me even has keys to my place like it should be.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Problem! posted:

Is there a reason a house would have two smoke detectors right next to each other? We assumed one was a carbon monoxide detector and one was a smoke detector, but they're both just smoke detectors as we discovered when we went to replace the batteries. These are the only two smoke detectors in the house and the only carbon monoxide detector we have is the one I bought while trying to figure out a rational explanation for our house ghost.

I'm guessing this is illegal (I thought you needed a smoke detector in each room) but it's a rental so idgaf, just curious as to why we have two functional detectors right next to each other.

Also one makes the most annoying noise when it's low on battery, it's not the standard chirp it sounds like a tiny clown car honk in my ceiling. We spent several hours going "what the gently caress was that?!" till we pinpointed the noise to our detector cluster.

A CO warner on the ceiling won't do you any good.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'd say order the part if its a really nice device, also ask the tenant how long they can spare it. Holidays are probably a good thing to ask about.

Maybe offer your dishwasher to them in the meantime :lol:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hope you like getting electrocuted.

You probably wont, but that sounds like a totally bizarre thing to do. It's super easy to fix, why aren't they fixing it? What else is messed up, that they aren't fixing or telling you about?

Not really that easy to fix, you can't just reverse polarity at the source, since it would gently caress up wiring colors. (Well, at least it would be like that in Europe)

KoB posted:

A studio Im looking at said the power outlet polarities are swapped and said its only a problem for electricians. That wouldnt effect any of my stufff would it?

Some devices only switch the live wire, so your appliance might remain live because it is still connected to what should be the neutral.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Problem! posted:

Nope, just told us to give them the keys when we moved out.

I'd take the locks and put the old ones in.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Problem! posted:

The house I live in now is being put on the market in a couple weeks.

There's about a three week overlap between it being on the market and me moving out during which they will do showings. The realtor says that she will give me 24 hours notice to GTFO for showings and get my personal stuff out of sight. There is nothing in my lease regarding showings, would it be out of line to ask for some sort of stipend for entertainment and/or dog boarding while I'm being kicked out for these showings? I have no vested interest in the house selling or not so not being allowed in my house for several hours at a time is 100% pure inconvenience on my part.

If you still live there they can't reasonably ask you to not be there just because they have showings. They'd definitely have to reimburse you for the time that you don't have access to the thing you are paying to have access to.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrPossum posted:

Thankfully when I told my new employer they were like WHAT and had me on the phone with a new company in 20 min (I was very impressed). At this point it's just getting that lined up again which hopefully shouldn't be a huge chore. Employer understands and is flexible on starting dates. I'm just more mad that Graebel jerked me around for days when the knew this poo poo was coming down.

Maybe I'll have an opportunity for more jesus in my life too :)

Well companies don't like admitting these things until they are ready to announce, usually to prevent clients jumping off and stuff.
Was pretty funny when my pwoer provider went out of business and the agent I used informed me a few days early, when they called to tell me to switch and tried to sell me on another company I just told them that I already switched.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

FAUXTON posted:

Welp, moved out on 1/31 after 45 days' notice, completely blanked on security deposit because we'd bought a house and had other things we were doing (more or less "we'll get it back when we get it back") and we got a list of charges against the deposit on 3/14.

At this point we've already recouped the deposit in the fact that the mortgage is significantly cheaper than the rent was plus the house is more energy efficient so bills are lower. Is it even worth fighting (assume we did gently caress-all for standard rear end-covering like pictures or walkthrough or certified mail)? State law is kind of suggesting this itemization should have happened within 14 days, not a month and a half after we're out.

I would definitely fight it to the point that you need a lawyer, at that point it depends on how much it is and if your state considers holes for fixtures protected or not.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

goku chewbacca posted:

This. As a landlord and former renter who successfully sued a former landlord for not returning my deposit within the required 30 days, I say you can and should pursue this. Some states/jurisdictions will even award you some kind of penalty if the landlord does not follow the law for security deposit escrow, interest, and return or charge itemization.

Google for a boiler plate demand letter and tailor it to your case. Cite your applicable landlord/tenant law, give your landlord a reasonable deadline to mail a cashier's check, and identify the time and court location (could be small claims, district court, magisterial court, etc in your jurisdiction) you will be filing for $xxxx (include any applicable penalties like double the full deposit). Mention that small claims judgements are a matter of public record and are reported on credit histories with the 3 major credit bureaus, possibly effecting their ability to secure employment and lending. Depending on what your state allows for collection of money judgements, you can threaten (but don't blackmail or threaten any action not legal in your state) public sheriff sale/auction of their personal and real property including their car and homes, wage garnishment, bank account garnishment or asset seizure, real estate property liens against the rental property and even the landlord's own home, and hiring a professional collection agency.

Since they didn't meet the deposit return deadline, they're probably a small time landlord and not a professional management company. Your demand letter should be enough to scare them and teach them a lesson. If they're insolvent or incredibly stubborn, actually collecting on your small claims judgement can be very difficult and costly, though the filing fees and sheriff/auction costs are usually collectible. So decide carefully before you file your case. Do they have assets and equity in their home and rental properties? Do you know where they bank (look at any checks they gave you, or look at the endorsement side of the electronic copies of your rent checks)? Do you know where they live and work? Do you know what car they drive? Do they have enough personal property on the outside of their home to inventory for an auction/sale if they refuse entry to the inside? Cars, boats, lawn equipment and ATVs, etc.

Send the demand letter even if you're not committed to suing them.

That's not how you write legal demands, you don't include possible execution scenarios and whatnot. Is it in the US?!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, God knows the landlords only provide housing out of the goodness of their heart. Those poor, put-upon job creators, whereas the renters are the true leeches on society, taking advantage of the property owners' goodwill!

My rent went up 10% last year. It's going to go up 10% again this year. The landlord is going to wait until the absolute last possible legally allowable moment to inform me of this (and may even wait until after, since he knows I'm unlikely to try to fight it since I don't want to lose the place I live). Are his costs going up 10% a year? No way in loving hell. The last place I lived I had to move out of because they increased my rent by 80% over the course of 7 years. Did their costs go up by 80%? Abso-loving-lutely not. And then after driving me out of my place, they had the nerve to try to retain my security deposit, after their property manager told me "I think you're good to go, just make sure there's nothing to haul away" when I requested a walk-through. But pretty obviously they just retained everybody's security deposit, and then hoped that no one would have the nerve/tenacity to sue them (which is a pain in the loving rear end to do if you don't work for a goddamn law firm).

In addition to jacking up their rents to optimum cockbag levels, said landlords will then turn around and use that money to lobby against their tenants' interests, fighting density and anything that could possibly drop their overinflated property values in the slightest.

Landlords get a bad reputation because most of them are terrible people. I look forward to the day my investment in guillotine futures pays off.

I think investing in arms is a more secure option, it's not limited to executions but can be applied to that market as well :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

photomikey posted:

Why are you being a dick about it? The floor guy destroying the place clearly absolves you of any damage the LL finds on the walkthrough (surely you took a few photos of Juan tearing up the floors?). Leave the keys on the counter and bid Juan adios.

And then the landlord claims they keys were stolen and some kids came in and vandalized the place. Just nope. I'd send them in a registered letter and claim any damages to work being started by the handyman.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

photomikey posted:

The true success is that you're not standing in a puddle while typing to us. Congrats!

Or ashes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The vinyl cling film I bought didn't really cling and fell off. Didn't find any way to 'recharge' it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Give her cash in advance?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

EricBauman posted:

It legitimately looks like a cool place that you could do a lot with (event location, themed retreat etc), but construction is going to be hell if you have to do all your transport by boat

I wouldn't be too worried about materials, you can do that fairly inexpensively by boat, but labor on that thing is gonna be astronomic. It's all fortified concrete and steel, any work on that costs a fortune. I'm also assuming you'd have to generate power on site, probably can't empty sewage into the sea anymore either. Also you'd need to get gas and water delivered regularly in addition to supplies. It's a really neat place, but who has several million to spend on renovations?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Many hotels offer long-term living rates, make sure to ask around. This usually means you rent at a rate not too far away from a market apartment, no room service etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Far far more important: Remove any heavy swinging masses (GPU, large CPU coolers) from the motherboard.