Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My hens are ten months old and still haven't started laying. Should I be concerned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Joburg posted:

That’s odd in my experience. They look completely normal though and their combs and wattles just look like they aren’t mature yet.

How much daylight are you getting right now? I think the usual rule of thumb is all hens will lay (if they can) with 12 hours or more of daylight so maybe they aren’t getting enough light yet. Since the end of December we’ve gained an hour of daylight, now at 11 hours, and egg production is up 20%. Sunlight can make a huge difference in laying, so hopefully that’s the answer.

And of course some breeds are very slow to start. When I had Americaunas they were always last to lay in the spring, if I remember right they often waited until June.

That picture is outdated because there's green grass outside. It's winter and it's cold as hell right now. Their combs and wattles have filled out a bit.

Hopefully you are right about the sunlight being the cause!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
My ladies finally laid eggs after a year. :toot:

Does anyone have a run from Omlet? I'm looking to upgrade my run and theirs look really nice.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I'm adding two more hens to my flock tomorrow. This time I'm getting sapphire olive eggers. I thought they'd look nice with my barred rocks and lavender orpingtons.

spookygonk posted:

We have the Omlet Eglu Classic (well, 5 of them now), originally with the extended run and now with the 4mx3m walk-in run. The Eglus just bolt onto the outside of the run.

I'm tempted to get one of their coops eventually for use as a chicken tractor. Are you happy with the quality and the longevity of the run? My current run is surrounded in hardware cloth that has a lot of sharp edges which I don't love.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 4, 2024