Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Hi, I work at a farm and ranch store, and we sell baby poultry in spring. This spring we'll be getting Guinea fowl chicks! We haven't had them before. Are there any tips or good knowledge to give to potential new owners? Like uh, things that aren't typical for turkeys or chickens. I like to give lots of information to people so they know what they're getting into.

I know they're pretty wild, and amazing for bug control. We are up in Montana, are there precautions for winter, I know sometimes it's hard to get them in a co-op.for warmth if you don't get them used to it as babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Thanks for the great keet info folks! I'm excited as heck to care for the babies.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Joburg posted:

Thank you all, he is very handsome. I got him and a couple Orp hens from Tractor Supply, which I think originally come from Hoover Hatchery. Compared to the Orps I got from Murdoch’s last year (can’t remember the hatchery), they are larger bodied and may have smaller heads.

Also this year’s Orps lay dark pink eggs, compared to the yellower Murdoch’s hens’ eggs. It’s pretty interesting to see the differences.

I work at a Murdoch's, our orps typically come from Murray McMurray, definitely last year's.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
hello folks.

please assuage my anxiety.

my workplace sells chicks part of the year. we keep them in plywood/plexiglass tanks.

we have had a LOT of pasty butt the past few years, even when the babies are selling within one day.

so we thought we'd try to sanitize everything as much as possible. looking online, we tried a 9 parts water, 1 part bleach sprayed on, then scrubbed in and wiped off. you can't smell bleach anymore, and they don't come until Feb.

are they gonna die now.

I made sure my bosses did NOT spray Lysol in the tanks.

(one tank came out of storage with a partially decomposed pigeon in it, and tons of mouse and rat poop. that one needs a deeeeep clean but is thankfully pure plexi, no wood. but ugh.)