Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hi thread. The previous owners of our house had chickens and left the coop here, so finally this year we got it fixed up and got four little fluffy dinosaur babbies. They're almost a week old now.

Two Sapphire Gems, and two Buff Orpingtons. Rosie, Petunia, Daisy, and Violet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Our four are almost big enough to leave the brooder permanently! Had them outside yesterday afternoon, checking out the coop.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Doom Rooster posted:

With winter coming up, how do y’all keep your chickens’ water from freezing?

We’ve got one of the big inverted bucket looking fountains, so the submersible heaters don’t seem to be compatible.

We got one of the inverted bucket looking one with an integrated heater. Seems to be fine, but it doesn't really fit up in their coop so I'm not sure how exactly to handle water in there, or if we even need to.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

freeedr posted:

Speaking of the warming pad, I actually got my daughter’s old thermostat plug from her old terrarium out of storage this year so I can make the warming pad operate itself. Seems great so far even though they’d likely be fine just snuggling up on the sand inside without any heater.

I decided to go all in on some smart home bullshit for this - got some temperatures/humidity sensors and outlets coming today.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

After finding two soft shelled eggs over the weekend, we got our first real actual egg this morning! Our birbs are 20 weeks old so we weren’t really expecting any until spring. Exciting!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Elder Postsman posted:

I decided to go all in on some smart home bullshit for this - got some temperatures/humidity sensors and outlets coming today.

Got all this set up now using Homekit + Homebridge and Scrypted for a camera. We have lights around the run and in the coop that turn on after sunset and turn off at 9pm, the heater panel turns on below 18F and off above 24F, and the camera is inside the coop so we can watch for eggs.

Which all four are laying now. Getting 3-4 a day, every day, and we're running out of places to put them.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Had a hawk scare today. Our birds were out foraging when a big ol' red tailed hawk swooped down and landed in the yard. The chickens took off for the little bit of woods we have and my wife ran out to scare the hawk off, but I think we would have had some missing birds if she hadn't been watching right then.

So I guess the question is, what do y'all do to deter hawks and such? I've read that hanging shiny things in trees could work and I've got some hard drive platters and CD-Rs I'm gonna hang up but is there anything else I can do?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Ok, well, we're in the city so a rooster won't be happening. We do have a dog, but it's small and probably just as likely to get carried off by a big hawk. During the spring/summer we have a trampoline set up so that'll give them good shelter.

Making crow friends is a good idea though, I've always to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Elder Postsman posted:

Had a hawk scare today. Our birds were out foraging when a big ol' red tailed hawk swooped down and landed in the yard. The chickens took off for the little bit of woods we have and my wife ran out to scare the hawk off, but I think we would have had some missing birds if she hadn't been watching right then.

So I guess the question is, what do y'all do to deter hawks and such? I've read that hanging shiny things in trees could work and I've got some hard drive platters and CD-Rs I'm gonna hang up but is there anything else I can do?

Still seeing a lot of hawks flying around so I made a quick and simple chicken tractor that should keep them safe.

Measures about 8x6, folds flat for easy storage. Should work alright.