Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Tammy now has a place to live outside!

The eggs are being picked up by my wife right now, USPS was smart enough to not put that box on a truck in the FL heat and called us to pick it up instead. Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:

Wife here. The biggest risks here are snakes (nothing big enough to eat her but they'd likely try), hawks, and rats (which we haven't seen in a while, so we either got them all or they moved on). We have enclosed the entire coop in hardware cloth, multiple layers in some places, to keep them out, on top of the regular fences.

The eggs look good, everything intact and clean. The supplier was very generous, and sent DOUBLE the number of eggs (ordered 10, got twenty). The eggs are resting and will go in incubator in the morning per supplier's instructions. This is our first time with an incubator so I know to keep my expectations very low - if even half of these hatch I'll be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
So with quail, is the peep-peep-peep-peep noise a happy quail noise or a scared/sus quail noise? I've been trying to Google it but just finding details on quail from different continents.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
20 quail eggs entered lockdown, so hopefully we will have some friends for Tammy hatching soon. Never done this before (always bought chicks or the chickens brooded the eggs) so this is very exciting!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Update: Quail have started to hatch. They are so impossibly small and so impossibly sweet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

i love them :unsmith:

And I love those quail bros

I hope there's more love in your heart because we're up to nine chicks this morning!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

the eggs are pipped and my brooder has died :supaburn:

i'm frantically googling homesteading websites to learn how to keep the drat things alive without electrical assistance until i can find a better solution. apparently it's possible, so please pray for us

e: after much research, i have decided to keep the six chicks in my bra for a month

Hot water bottles? Soft nesting material and layers of blankets around brooder?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

Congratulations!! NOW FRY IT AND PUT IT UPON THE TINIEST TOAST YOU CAN FIND

As household Quail Mistress, the right of prima ovum falls to me.

Going to see if they'll take to more leafy greens and crickets for that deep orange color.

Apparently red chile makes the yolks red. I am intrigued.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

If it's on top of the head it's most likely from Wumbus.

Kylo! :kimchi:

Its a tiny, tiny spot on his eyelid. When I found him the entire side of his head was covered in blood and I thought he was missing an eye, but no, just messy. After gently cleaning his face he looks 99.99% back to normal.

ETA: Its interesting watching the social dynamics change. Korben's been separated less than 12 hours, but in the vacuum, Volly went from nearly never crowing to crowing nearly constantly.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 13, 2022

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We threw some old towels over hutch and used caulk in corners/seams to make sure there were no drafts. Extra-thick layers of straw and pine shavings to keep it dry and let them nestle in.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Molentik posted:

Our peafowl are absolutely depressed when they are wet...

Is that a white pecock on the right, or some other kind of bird?

Very jealous of all your pretty screamers.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Joburg posted:

I wonder if you could selectively breed quail roosters to be protective of quail hens. How many generations would that take?

Infinity?

I want to attempt to breed a low-crow quail, which is the other reason why Zap is with the girls: his is the least frequent and quietest crow out of all the boys.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mustache Ride posted:

My grandma gave me these for Christmas

Those are super cute!

We had an incident where the rooster's coop door opened in the night - guessing we didn't latch it all the way. Fortunately no one left the yard and no one was hurt or eaten - most of the boys were just exploring the yard, Quinlan was trying to get into the girl's coop, and Korben and Maud'dib just stayed in the coop like the good boys they are. Scared the crap out of me first thing in the morning, though.

In other news, someone laid an ombre egg:

One week until the next hatch goes into lockdown.

Edit: Its Florida, so people have started shooting fireworks for new years. Every time one goes off, ALL THE QUAIL ROOSTERS CROW AT IT. Its going to be a long night.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 1, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Yay Zapdos! :3:

Other good news, Sky has just finished 5 days of Tylan and is looking much better:

Oh wow, that looks way, way better! Good job, Skye!

The second hatch is going a little TOO well. We had 16 hatch yesterday, and 5 more just hatched today, putting us at 70% hatch rate....and 3 more are pipping.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

and that sound really carries!

have you looked into local butcher options, if that's something you're comfortable considering?

There's a moderately busy road next to our backyard, which the neighbors reports is loud enough to drown out most of the crowing.

All the local butchers either went out of business or won't process the birds, so it looks like its gonna be the wife's job. At least they dress incredibly easily.

Until then, they are outrageously cute.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Woke up to find one of the chicks had passed. No idea why - no injury, no signs of illness, brooder temp good, fresh food and water available. I'm really upset about it, even though I know its bound to happen.

I can't imagine what you're going through, joburg. That's a whole other level. I'm so sorry. We'll be thinking of you and your flock.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Today one chick either has a crop problem or just ate a massive meal:

The crop's been steadily shrinking the last few hours and the chick is behaving normally, so I'm not panicking yet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Lumpy chick is back to normal. Its insane how quickly they grow - a week old and they already have doubled in size and have their wing feathers.

They are now playing in hay and watching YouTube videos meant for cats.

Edit:

Dienes fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 18, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

i hope all my quail that have died were reincarnated into your quail :kimchi: what lucky birds, it is delightful how much you enjoy them

IMPORTANT QUAIL UPDATE: Some of our quail hens are going to chicken camp with me over the summer!

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/chicken-camp-dog-trainer/

Depending on how it goes, I may have my doc students train some other hens in the fall. Quail, chickens, and pigeons have a lot in common, particularly vision, and pigeons have been trained for some seriously cool stuff, like categorizing type of artwork.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

sometimes i catch myself thinking "drat quail are so simple, they die at the drop of a hat, they must be a lesser life-form", but then the drat things look me straight in the eye and i realise they are tiny people

That's the exact reaction I have to human infants.

We've been missing Tammy. Zapdos definitely does - his crowing, particularly at us, has increase exponentially the past few days. But its been nice to have the chicks as a distraction. They are starting to show different colors and personalities:

Our only silver pharoah chick (thus far):

We have 2 turning more orange, likely to be Italians like Zapdos.

A lone Tibetian-looking chick.

One of the 2 brown tuxedos. They are some of the chiller chicks.

The one chick who has a name - MIL decided this was her favorite and dubbed them 'Striper.' Naturally, this one is the least tame. It also can fly across the room.

The one black chick, who hatched from our own quails' eggs and is undoubtedly Windlord's baby.

The black chick has an underbite and ever-so-slight scissor beak. Doesn't seem to be holding them back at all, though!

One of the many, many pearl chicks.

The chick I can't pin down yet. Doesn't look like the pharoahs or silver pharoahs, color is more patchy and chest is very dark.

Another shot of the same chick:

Dienes fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 30, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Hello my wife has been really into getting chickens lately so she got a coop and some chickens and they came today and here they are enjoy the chickens

Thank you i enjoyed the chickens and would like to know the name of the white one with the gold head thanks in advance

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We have a falb fee bird that looks like a standard pharoah, only grey instead of brown. We're pretty sure they are a girl because they have a speckled chest instead of solid white/red.

For a ground bird, they want to be on my shoulder all the time. If I pick them up they run up my arm or jump to my shoulder, and if I take them off, they run right back up. They'll sit there for hours if I let them. Lately I have been sitting on the screened in lanai and they watch me play Pokemon on my Switch.

Naming them Silverbolt.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Full of foam?

When you vent sex coturnix quail, you apply light pressure just under their cloaca. If they are a boy, a bunch of foam will come out. If they are a girl, nothing will come out. The foam is NOT quail....seed. Scientists aren't 100% sure what it is, but its thought to help transfer other fluids during mating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DbcoQFrnl8&t=203s

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Update on my Chickam hatch equipment...
Really hoping that this year, Chickam will be MUCH better!

I follow Chickam religiously, and its probably both the reason why we pulled the trigger on hatching quail, and what is keeping me from hatching a third round of babies (hey, we're allowed up to 50 quail and only have a dozen hens). I never would have expected hatching eggs to be addicting, but it is.

You're going above and beyond to ensure successful hatching and healthy babies. We're rooting for you!

Especially my husband. Who does not want me hatching any more eggs.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

City of Glompton posted:

today is hatching day for 3 of my banty hens. they each have three eggs. there are three out of the shell so far but not ready for pictures yet. i'm ready for them to be done already lol

So exciting! I love hatchings. Once they fluff up please post pics.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

What a magnificent borb.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Start thinkin' up names, y'all! This year I decided to throw some font names into the hat... :v:

I submit Chiller for your consideration.

Crossing fingers all goes smoothly this hatch! still want to hatch another small round of quail for hand taming, or eating, depending on gender

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

5er posted:

One of my cinnamon queens is apparently hermaphroditic. My wife was doing yardwork and saw her mounting one of the other hens and thought maybe she was just being super butch, but she definitely spotted what she called a 'third leg' happening back there. Apparently the odds of having a hermaphroditic chicken are 1 in 10,000; considering that billions of chickens hatch every year, there have got to be quite a few out there.

Roosters don't really have a penis - if what your wife saw was pink or red, its possible that the hen had a bit of a prolapse from laying an egg, which may have self-resolved. Does the hen have an unusually large comb, or spurs on one or both legs? Those are the usual signs.

Someone commented earlier in the thread about 'quail courage' and I saw it in action today. There's a Cooper's Hawk that lives nearby, and this morning that hawk and two crows were fighting and swooping in our yard. The quail are enclosed in several layers of wire, so they were perfectly safe, but they didn't know that. All the hens and the two younger roos ran into the hutch and burbled at each other, but our oldest roo, Zapdos, ran out and strutted and fluffed and crowed and cackled and 'danced' until the hawk and crows left. Little dude was ready to take them all on and take one for the team. Quail courage. :3:

We got some treat dispensers for the quail that have been a bit hit for dispensing mealworms and scratch:
https://www.amazon.com/ROICO-Interactive-Treat-Dispensing-Stimulating-Stimulation/dp/B097Q7C8KL/
https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Reptile-Enrichment-Bearded-Animals/dp/B09WYRHL9T/
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/chicken_peck_toy/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That's an improvement from last time! I'm glad we have 16+ possible chicks. Crossing my fingers.

Kinda jealous that chickens still have some brooding instincts - we can't tell who laid what unless we isolate each hen. They just plop n' go.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We have 2 quail chicks and 4 more pips!

Edit: Out of 16 developing eggs, we now have 14 chicks. Technically the hatch day is tomorrow, so the last 2 eggs will get another 2-3 days in case we have any stragglers.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 8, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

5er posted:

Ah I always check on this thread just in time for sad quail news. Quail are like those glass ornaments for xmas trees though. They seem rather easy to break at the start and at the end.

This is very true. We had a straggler hatch by themselves on Easter morning, who has promptly been named Jesus Christ/ina.

A few chicks were lethargic and 'floppy' post-fluffing up. We hand-fed and watered them for the past day or so - one chick sadly passed, but the others have bounced back and are energetic and enthusiastic eaters and peepers now.

Roost in Peace, Moose. You were a glorious quail and very much loved.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

(please no more hatching for quite some time........).

I make no promises.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I need to pick up my GoPro from the lab to get video, but Peanut Hamper is doing fantastic at Chicken Camp! So far she's learned: how to not freak out when put on the table, how to eat from the treat cup, how to not freak out when she hears a click sound, and just started pecking and following the target stick.

I won't get to work with her over the weekend due to a work conference, but when I get back our next step is going through a tunnel!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/l2BdOXn.mp4

A clicker training session with Peanut Hamper. We're cleaning up her pecking the target stick, and soon we'll be starting going through a tunnel.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The quail have always had food with calcium, and are occasionally given scrambled quail eggs with the shell, but they now have cuttlebones and a separate feeder with calcium and grit, so they can self-supplement if need be.

Peanut Hamper continues to excel at clicker training:
https://i.imgur.com/qGgdy1l.mp4

The tunnel was the next step after pecking the target stick. It gets her doing longer/more complex tasks, scanning for the stick, and persisting a bit. She's exceptionally eager to work - she'll sit at the door and peck at my hand until I take her out for training. Its been great enrichment for her.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

I live on the gulf coast and it's been very hot recently. The combination of humidity and temperature makes the "real feel" temp around 108°. My chickens have been having trouble adjusting and I had one of my largest hens pass away yesterday due to heat stroke.

They have plenty of shade and I ensure they have water at all times. I've also given the remaining hens a little container of standing water for them to splash in and have been adding ice to their waterer in the morning. Occasionally I'll give them some frozen veggies too.

I see mixed reports about misting/soaking being effective for cooling chickens but I'm not sure what else I can do to help them out. Does anyone have any advice?

Our quail here in Florida are having trouble with the heat, too. I have been doing the same things you have - shade, ice water. I spike the water with Rooster Booster so they have some electrolytes as well. Misting won't help much, if at all, due to the humidity.

I got a cheap box fan and just have it blow into the coop/run as much as possible. I also gave them really deep sand/mulch bedding, and they seem to find digging pits in it good for keeping cool. A sand bath can also help - the cleaner they are, the easier they can regulate. But the biggest help I've found so far is the fan.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hope and vaseline posted:

demon chicken awakened by watermelon

Careful, you wanna be sued by Terry Goodkind's estate?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
One of the roosters in the hen pen, Striper, just lost his goddamn mind and started scalping the girls, hurting about 5 in the course of 2 hours. He's never done anything like this before, so we're pretty dang stunned. Don't know what set it off but he is incredibly lucky that he's not the main course for dinner tonight. We moved him and Frankie out of the hen pen and moved Mouse, a younger, chiller, and prettier rooster, in to replace them. The injured hens are inside and only one is in dire shape, but we're keeping them calm, clean, warm, dry.

Then we heard Tiamat making the weeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeep alarm call and sure enough, a 3-4 foot black racer smelled the blood and was trying to get in the hutch. The snake was gently relocated. Zapdos, the senior rooster, marched along the walls of the run the entire time, keeping himself between the hens and the snake (even though there was no way the snake could get through multiple layers of hardware cloth).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

If a pigeon can pilot a missle I guess a chicken can man a gun turret.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That sucks, Mustache Ride. I'm so sorry.

Parmesan is a particularly gorgeous bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nettle Soup posted:

Any wooden coop you buy is gonna rot to bits within a couple of years if you have any sort of wet weather, because they're all made like poo poo.

Can confirm, mistakes were made.