Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Very sad day. :(

Rafe, our big buff Brahma roo hatched last year, just died of a heart attack. He'd been hanging out with some dust bathing hens moments before.

Oh god, poor baby, he was one of my favourite Chickam kids. :( So sorry to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Velvet, who from the Chickam before last do you still have in your flock? I know several met with unfortunate ends (:() and some of the roos went to new pastures (Roostroyer, of course. And Master Yi? Someone else, maybe Burger?) You've got Weedcat obviously, and Pompadour gets mentioned now and then, but who else is still kicking around?

I loved that year, it would be great to get a bit of an update :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

From the 2011 hatch:
We have Weedcat, a splash Giant Cochin who is also Head Roo.
Rambo, a buff Brahma hen, who was the first chick to hatch in 2011 and is our only buff Brahma left.
Burger and Chick, both light Brahma hens.
Pompadour, a gray Giant Cochin hen.

We had a buff roo, Rafael, and Peepsquire, our Marans hen, both of whom suddenly died last September. :( Dinner, a light Brahma roo, made the move to the new house with us but was rehomed (he and Weedcat were fighting constantly and upsetting the flock, we had to choose one) with a VERY nice family.

The other chicks we rehomed before we moved in September 2011, all went to great homes.

Thankyou! It must've been Dinner I was thinking of, he was a light Brahma too wasn't he? I heard about Rafe from here and Peeps from twitter, I was so sad so I can't imagine how you and your family must have felt :( Peepsquire was a thread favourite iirc, the only Marans. I loved Rafe, he sounded so sweet from your stories about him.

How many roos do you have now? Just Weedcat and... the bantam, was it Scott? I remember you rehomed Smokey before you moved, did you end up having to give him to a store to rehome, or did you find a new place for him? He was my favourite.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Tomorrow I start setting aside eggs to go into the ReptiPro on Saturday, Chickam is in 3 weeks! :derp:

What's the actual start date VS? I'm a preschool teacher and we start back after easter on the 24th April, will the eggs all have hatched by then? I'm going to suggest we run the stream for the kids to watch but it'd be great if they could see some hatching too.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Norris, how's the one with the deformed beak? Was that Foghorn? How's she handling being out in the wild?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So sorry about Felafel and the others, avs. I'm so sad, but glad that their legacy continues.

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread (e:wrong, but only a few posts!) but it's always been a lovely place to lurk and see bird photos and get invested, so thank you all fowl keepers, you're doing god's work and I'll really miss you all.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Velvet Sparrow has absolutely had half-blind and fully blind chickens in the past, I'd contact her. I don't know how much she reads the forums any more but she's active on twitter https://twitter.com/VelvetSparrow

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Here's to a happier year of quail! I am so invested in these little guys, honestly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So sorry about Pip. She truly was amazing. What an incredible life she had with you.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

perepelki posted:

tigerlily has been carrying weight on both legs, eating, dust-bathing, pecking at the triplets when they're being annoying (this is most of the time), and today i found him doing tentative bird yoga in the sun. i think he's going to be okay! my miracle creature

I'm so happy for you and him :h: you deserve something bad to go right for once!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Avs I am so attached to your flock. Some people have suggested that you start a social media thing somewhere about these guys and I'd love to follow if you do that. They're such cool birds and you as an owner? carer? birdmaster?? you are amazing.

Hope Lord Oberon is just in a mild mood and not anything more serious. They are all so lovely and you do an amazing job caring for them.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I could use some advice. I work in a preschool, and I've been informed that we're getting chicken eggs to hatch in mid-April. This is apparently from a reputable company who provide the incubator and subsequent enclosure for the chicks for 10 days, then take everything back. But I've watched Chickam for over 10 years, I've seen hatches go wrong. The chicks will be gawped at for seven hours a day by small people, left alone at night, and over the weekend checked up on twice a day by a disinterested manager. I can't take them home myself to care for them, as much as I would like to. I can't stop this from happening, but is there anything I can do that can make this any better for the chicks?

The chicks have a hopeful home afterwards, someone I know, but it's this first bit that I'm so uncomfortable with. I don't think my manager has thought this through at all and while I'm more than happy to do the handling and assist while I'm at work, I'm not allowed animals in my flat and I can't transport them. I'm really worried.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Avs, how would having a moveable run for the orbs work? It'd be no good against anything burrowing but would give them daytime "freedom" while being protected from above, and you could shuttle them back inside in the evening. Depends on the side of your garden I guess.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I named Kana last year, this year I am going to request Lu Bu please because I love ancient Chinese warlords and I want chaosfeather to be happy

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hope the poster who was due to get some more ex-battery hens is doing okay! Sorry I can't recall the username but seeing those hens thrive is so good. Hope you got the hens and are nursing them back to health as we speak.

Avs/egg please post quails, I miss them, this thread was a daily visit while you were regularly posting Quail Tales

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Please add York into the name list, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

my cat is norris posted:

FYI for anyone concerned, Velvet Sparrow met the funding goal for her medical care fundraiser. Glad to see some good news on that front. Chickam forever!!

:woop: