Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went home for Christmas and met my mom's neighbor's CHICKENS! All were very disappointed that I had no treats, of course, but they were super friendly (save for one roo who spent the whole time sizing me up, and one little hen that stayed in her tree branch).

What kind of chickens do we have here? I recognize the barred Plymouth Rocks. Are the brown ones Buckeyes? What about the roosters, and the little gray hen? What kind of roo is the bearded fellow? He had lovely golden head feathers.

Little white roo was the noisy one, crowing multiple times, but he was way more inquisitive than the big guy. Big guy was also getting pushed around by the little guy a lot.

I want chickens.

Edit: The white ladies must be longhorns.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoops. Leghorns. :x

Thanks for the IDs! And the link!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I got baby chicks today. They are absolutely screaming because they don't understand the world. Life is hard when you're small and fuzzy and also as smart as a log.

Pics please. Or video. Either!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I advocate peaceful and cheerful interactions in a thread about chickens! Let's remember that it does take two to tango.

So I've found out that roosters are absolutely not allowed in my area. Will this be a problem for a small flock? Previous posts indicate otherwise, but those posts were written quite awhile ago, so I'd like to hear the latest!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Velvet Sparrow posted:

my car is norris, usually when it comes to roos and city codes not allowing them, the issue tends to fall under noise ordinances since roos love that 4:30AM crowing thing. I don't know what problem it might cause in your flock that you are referring to, but your girls can get along perfectly well without a roo.

No flock yet -- just dreaming and plotting for the future.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chicken pot pie.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sure looks like it!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So sorry to hear about your loss... :smith:

Life goes on, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjdvoQ_5spE

My coworker just went to the USPS to pick up her new babies. :kimchi:

Edit: Shobon replaced with smith. I can get my emotes right.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 26, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Watch a chick be developed and hatched without its shell.

http://www.sabongchronicles.com/2016/05/japans-latest-discovery-hatching-chick-outside-shell/

Fascinating stuff!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Faerunner posted:

:aaaaa:

Does keeping the chick in a transparent membrane in any way affect its brain development? I know babies who are born prematurely often have sensory issues related to light/sound processing... I wonder if it's the same for chicks exposed to greater light levels in the "shell"?

Huh, I have no idea! I wonder if the paper had more to say about it, or if post-hatch issues were a smaller focus...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So sorry for your loss. :(

Not all hawks are all that big. There are some common hawks that aren't much bigger than your average crow.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Are you still treating for bumblefoot?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sorry to hear about Mabel... :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Such good keets! Poor little lizard, though. People can be so cruel.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay, chickam!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Shifty Nipples posted:

I wouldn't eat a dead animal that I didn't know what it died from.

I'm in this camp.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23sMvVnrow

(not my video)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chicken pics, please? Chickens? Are there chickens to be shared?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

god for a moment there i thought the thing on the far right was some weird species i'd never seen before

Thanks for sharing! :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Edit: Not a chicken, but it IS a pretty galah.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congrats!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:staredog: Does she still have a hole in her head...?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The most amazing thing happened to me today!

Chickens love croissants. :kimchi:

https://youtu.be/CZHt-hGqw50

The noise she makes when the croissant is all gone is hilarious! Do they always do this?! Are they always so much fun?

I scooped and snuggled her, too. She had zero complaints. A very good birb.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What recommendations can you make for raising either coturnix or button quail? We're in an urban setting with enough yard and porch space for a small pen, and from what I understand, quails would be quiet enough to cause limited issues for the neighbors. Do they do well in variable temperatures? Do you have any recommendations when it comes to style of cage or placement?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay but none of this is scaring me off, so can anyone recommend any good resources or guides? :shobon:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! Where I am in Pittsburgh, PA, quail would be way easier to keep than chickens, and potentially less bothersome for my neighbors, so even if they are suicidal loving morons, I want to give them a shot for sure. Death seems like kind of a thing you gotta get used to whenever it comes to livestock of any kind, so I'm mentally bracing myself for it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Omg I love how bewildered the kitties are and how determined their chicken mom is.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:laffo: Those poor birds!

I just want to thank this thread for setting my expectations to a realistic level. I'm in contact with an Ohio quail farm and will probably get chicks in a month or so.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's one other thing I don't know much about...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm committed to a summer of atrocities. My quail arrive Wednesday.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've ordered 10. If I lose too many in shipping, I'll either get another order, or I'll make a road trip to a farm a couple of hours away and transport them myself. I don't want to have more than 8 - 10!

Wish me luck. :cry:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They'll be juvies when I get 'em so I'm going they'll be past the self-drowning phase! I hope!

I'll be optimistic and say...five.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I hope you guys don't mind if I post in here pretty regularly about my quailventure. I'd get a blog or something but that requires initiative and I'd rather dump pics and stories here where I have a sympathetic audience.

I went to Tractor Supply Co for like the first time in my life, yesterday. I'm more accustomed to, like...local feed stores? But I guess in Pittsburgh, this is what I get. Anyway, I couldn't find starter crumble for ducks or goslings that wasn't medicated, and I'd read that I should avoid medicated feed, so I went with the mixed flock crumble that's targeted for all fowl. I also picked up budgie seed! Budgie seed has gotten a lot more fancy since I last had budgies of my own...

THIS is the budgie seed I could find at Target. Is it too much? Do you think there's enough added grit, or should I consider picking up some oyster shell to mix into the feed?

I also picked up a block of straw so I could stuff some into the coop.

Speaking of coops, I ended up going with the ugly plastic special to start. I wanna build my own but thought I should just take things slow at first and not go nuts investing time and energy into something that might kill itself in the first few days. Do you think any of the coop's holes are too large? Should I get smaller hardware cloth to wrap around some of the larger holes to prevent disaster, or do you think it looks okay as a first home/shelter?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 31, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!! Really appreciating the continued advice.

The pen is about 10.75" high on the inside. I'm hoping they won't bonk their little heads too much.

As for the holes on the bottom, I don't think they'll be too large, but I'll definitely watch out for that! The straw in the coop should help a little.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

this broken hill posted:

omg i bought a quail off the internet and i thought she was going to be a japanese but she's a button. looks like my flock is diversifying! (i'm not keeping her with the coturnix, atm she's living in a pet carrier filled with grass and tomorrow she's getting a whole new cage and a friend if possible)

i have no experience with buttons so we're both on adventures now

:neckbeard: Pics!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mozi posted:

My chicks are getting sent today! :ohdear:

Mine, too! They arrive tomorrow. I'm so excited! And also scared!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

this broken hill posted:

the buttons are nervy little agents of chaos and i love them

e: the rooster has already asserted himself by escaping my grasp, flying up onto the roof and then spending 24 hours scooting around the garden as a wild bird until i finally managed to trap him in a pet carrier. they're really making me appreciate how dopey and tame the japanese quail are - if i lose my grip on one of them they just flutter to the ground and waddle peacefully along until i scoop them back up, but the butts are basically mice, or possibly electrons, and they outwit me every time

I'm already in love, pls keep posting your adventures.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

All 10 of my quails arrived in great shape! I was a little afraid of losing one after it seemed extra tuckered from an escape attempt, but he bounced back after some food and water.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Afnnzde

I'm in loooooooove with the speckled babby and the white one with the cap. Gonna give them a couple of days to chill then try for better pics of the individuals.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'll see what I can do!

They're getting curious...

My current big concern is that they seem to be throwing more food around than they are eating it. I've tried running the crumble through the food processor a little bit to make it smaller and maybe more palatable. I also think I need to get them a proper food trough because the chick feeder I'm currently using doesn't do much to retain tossed food...

Geki discovered the quail a few hours after they'd been moved into their porch crate.

I've rarely seen her so quiet and engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

spookygonk posted:

Is that gap wide enough for them to squeeze through?

Possibly! I need to go pick up some hardware cloth and arrange a greater level of security. So far, nobody's TRIED to escape, so I've been lucky!

Omg I just wanna sit on the porch and listen to them burble at each other all day. :kimchi: