Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pick me pick me I wish my fortunes to be told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Getting the fortunes & popcorn ready now. The damned chickens keep trying to eat the Christmas tree, so they are delaying things. :argh:

You made the tree to spicy, they can't resist it. :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

hmm Equipment

:ohdear: What does that mean, TELL ME CHIKKEN ORACLES :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

That chicken eating a mouse :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Armed Neutrality posted:

All this time I thought I had boring white chickens! I'm so happy that people think they're pretty! :3:

I have what I hope are three hens, if one or more are roosters, I'll just trade for hens at my local farmer.

I want to squeeze at least one of them. :3: They just look so holdable.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Two more soonish. I CAN SEE YOU IN THERE CHICKAM.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We haven't been in there...?

woops... I just tend to call baby chickens chickams... did not mean you. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Chido posted:

Messing with broody hens is awesome, though! (excuse the horrible voice)

What is proper chicken scooping behavior? do you just put a hand under them and lift? or get under the feet?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

But that isn't even a... I want a fluffy beachball now but I have no space for chickens :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Chido posted:

I've been reading more comments about RIRs roosters, and a lot of them say some of their meanest roosters have been RIR. Looking at Tabasco, though, at 5 months of age he isn't very assertive yet, and he kept following me and my brother in law around the yard. He was very easy to catch too and didn't try to jump out of our hands. Whoever had him before tamed him well, I hope he stays like that when he hits puberty.

He ends up getting kicked around by the hens all day, every day, Whipping Roo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Your hens are trying to gaslight you. Pretty soon they'll change it up--sometimes there will be 7 eggs, sometimes 4, other times 2 1/2, than the random banty egg will appear...

Chickens are tricky. :ninja:

Sonic demonstrated that quite well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lynza posted:

I've brought some pictures! I have the next 3 days off of work, so I've been hanging out with him pretty much all day. He loves the Chicken Facility. He hopped up on the low roost and has been hanging out there. I take him out, he eats grass for a couple minutes, then goes right back in. :3:

If only I had room for chickens.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Pele is really working on holding her title of QUEEN OF THE WILD CHICKENS. Also I hope it doesn't spread :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

But did She decide to land on your head and become a hat?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The weather is getting nice and wet for summer, the chickens are very happy. The pony is too, though he's still scared of umbrellas so feeding him while it is raining isn't as fun.

Meanwhile, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBa0l-WLWYE

I think this is the sound that ends the world.

I think that sound would drive off a grizzly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The Rat posted:

We had a Polish before that did all right up until a fox got her. So far this one is surprisingly friendly and adventurous. The other three new hens have been timidly staying around the coop area, but the Polish has been out exploring everything. She even lets me pick her up with almost no fuss.

For everyone's amusement, here's how Tet's crow has come along as of today. (The other vid I linked was when he had first started crowing.) http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rupert42/media/chickens/tet2.mp4.html

I wanna squeeze that fat chicken, he looks very fluffy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oh yeah, the fortune thing...Boots and a few of the others pulled that duty last year, I wonder who should this year?

I vote for the Roos.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tim Jong-un posted:

They're bantams, I only brush birds that are going to show and still have a lot of quills in their feathers. Id just closed them up for the evening and decided to get some pictures while they got ready to roost. Dont actually brush,just use a flea comb to remove quills so as not to damage feathers.
I am going to steal that first chicken. :allears: So handsome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

Oh man, after watching chickam every year for all this time I'm finally getting pullets today. I can hardly contain my excitement!

Obviously you need to set up a cam.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Psychobabble! posted:

Crossposting from the bird crazies thread:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but my boyfriend was out walking our dog, and pup scouted out this chicken under a car. Its seattle and thus pouring rain, so my boyfriend couldn't help but take her in. We got her dry and have been rotating hot socks with rice in them to keep her warm, but we're both not really sure what else to do. We've placed ads on craigslist trying to find the owner, and we're gonna pick up a heat lamp (she's been chilling in our dogs crate with a makeshift shelter on one side). What else can/should we do(we have food)? We're kinda stumped. She seems like someone pet, though her beak was overgrown (boyfriend has since trimmed it)

Picture for you bird crazies:

We call her Gary and Aiko (puppy) gets very concerned about her :3:

You have a stage one infection of morehens disease, this is how it starts, one wet bird THEN WHAM.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Inveigle posted:

Bloop probably needs at least 20 of the cards, however, you should do at least one card per chicken. Would be a fun excuse to photograph everybody! (and since you were photographing them, take a few shots with no card, to use on your website). :)

Bloop has no shame though.

also

:ohdear: Did Bear also eat ALL the bread?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Faerunner posted:

:syoon:

I read the entire chicken thread from the start to this picture, 100+ pages and not once did I want a chicken so badly as I want that blue Barnvelder.

Fake edit:
Now that I'm up-to-date on the ongoing sagas of Weedcat, Bloop, Chido and the Henhoes, etc...

I'm gonna be a chicken mommy too! I look forward to the poultry shaming I will surely be doing!

My 3 chicks (2 Wyandottes and an Easter Egger) are due to arrive mid-March through a deal with a friend who was already ordering for her farm and let me pile on. I am simultaneously thrilled and panicking because I decided to 'save money' and build my own coop. My ability to screw poo poo together is not necessarily lacking, but doing so in a way that is predator-proof in an urban backyard and pretty enough to satisfy me is more of a challenge than I first expected. Also it's currently 24* and not going to get much warmer over the next month, which means a lot of working in the cold to get the coop together.

Sadly I have a tiny space, and have to resist chicken math because the coop and run will be -just- big enough for my 3 chicks. I can not add chickens on a whim (except maybe a bantam? :3). The planned area of the entire setup is only ~4x8, with a 4x3.5 coop on short stilts above part of the run. I have another ~20ish sqft to expand the run space later as funds allow (that much hardware cloth is expensive!!!). In the meantime the hens will get supervised range time outside the run as often as I can afford, and toys and treats like hanging cabbages to keep them entertained in the run. I want them to have a great life with lots of dust baths and love!

Also, that turkey. Ahahaha, they are such dumb birds! My dad raises poultry, and I love to visit them. The first time I met one of his Americaunas she had gone broody and was making velociraptor noises from her nest box, so they re-named her Raptor. :3:

Get a bantam roo, tiny chikken playboy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tim Jong-un posted:

Budong had a bath because I found him sitting in a hollowed out watermelon rind and he smelled funny. He still had some drying to do in his tail when I took this picture.

The little black tip on his comb is a bit of frostbite thats getting better, the scabs about ready to fall off.

Tim, I see your attempts to create a perfectly spheroid chicken continue.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Those poor pouters. Just when they are at their best to impress the ladies, they can't see her to tell if she's still standing there or not.

Imagine if Weedcat could do that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I looked up the youtube, Sirocco is such a pretty bird, you should figure out a way to make Chicken Kakapo hybrids VS.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You lost 1 chicken, thus get 2 more to replace the 1. CHICKEN MATH right there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Why not, MY ROOSTERS DID AGAIN THIS MORNING.

Goddamn stupid rooboys anyhow. They are OK, but got scolded & seperated again.

:ohdear: Uh if they are both ok does that mean the fights are getting less vicious?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I'd be a bit concerned about weather getting in, maybe an awning and retractable roof? Eitherway make sure the nest boxes are out of direct path of the weather behind that corner.

It is pretty glorious as is, domicile of chikken supremacy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

VS can you take current photos of the rest of the flock

Mostly bloop

Just give me bloop photos

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Inveigle posted:

Don't mess with this serious cuteness! 3 day old Polish bantam boss.

Posted by Picsofbarnyards.

I wish to steal that chikken.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My mother has purchased a small farm as part of her retirement plans.

She has just informed me there is an all brick(and so undiggable?) chicken coop next to the house and she is planning on getting some chickens.

:henget:

If it does happen i'll post pictures of the chickens.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

piscesbobbie posted:

shucks! can you just imagine what you could do with all that moola! Better luck next time? Your chickens look real good considering this crappy weather!

Imagine how many chickens she could have bought, and minions to feed them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Joburg posted:

We have chicks!

Momma bird don't like you near the chicks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

yessss baby chikens.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Welp, my heart valve surgery is scheduled for April 15th!
Going by what the valve nurse tells me to expect as far as recovery time...

VERY tentatively I'm planning on setting the Chickam eggs in the incubator around Saturday, April 27th, with a hatch (and Chickam broadcast) date of Saturday, May 18th.

I won't know for certain until the eggs are cookin' in the ReptiPro, but for now, that's the plan!

Also, Elder Postman we discovered that a loud, shrill whistle scares away hawks. The higher pitched, the better. Rather than a regular whistle, we got a couple of plastic 'siren whistles', they make an obnoxious 'Fwee!' sound--I think that's key, maybe it mimics a hawk cry...? At any rate, it scares off Red Tails!

Hooray! I am so glad you were able to get things going for the surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

freeedr posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vjR2ML3.mp4

taking bets on breeds and how many of these “pullets” are roos

No idea what hatchery or farm or store they came from (hatchery I assume if they were supposedly sexed)

I feel like the one up front is going to end up very fluffy.