Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

mint fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Have a wild chicken-adjacent showing that the lack of survival instincts runs in the family.
how beautiful!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the new cage is indoor-outdoor and double storey. moose loves it. she can do her favourite thing, sitting motionless in the shade, for a few hours

and then go do her other favourite thing, sitting motionless in the sun, for a few hours

and then go upstairs for a well-earned dust bath and a nap.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

lol i just went back in my photos to see what date i got moose (may 2020) and found this photo of her as a baby

magnificently lazy bird

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

Generous ladies donated quite a bit to Thanksgiving this year.
:unsmith: a fine harvest

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

kestrel needed to burn off some energy, so i took him for a walk and he sang me the song of his people

an egg fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 6, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

in an hour i will be picking up two (2) new quail hens, bringing my flock up to five girls and three boys, a nice stable number.

spookygonk posted:

Luckily this time of year sunrise is after 07:30 and sunset now before 4pm so the hens don't get much out time. We keep the in the run until 10am and then out for supervised kicking around the garden. Then from noon, they're lounging in the conservatory away from sky birds. Feel bad stopping feeding garden birds, but it's a necessity to keep our hens safe.

Supervised bathing session:

:ohdear: stay safe, orange queens

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

Avian flu recently killed one of the rare white-tailed sea eagles in Ireland :( It's sad to see it strike any bird, but these eagles are part of a long reintroduction project, and there aren't many breeding pairs.
:(

here are the new those: sable and quoll

they are gorgeous, they just plob gently in my hands like a friday quailo and the other birds seem delighted by their company. apparently they're only ten weeks old, but they're massive and look full-grown to me so i don't know. the breeder had ducks, chickens and quail in the most amazing set-up, a huge fully meshed run with the three species in discreet sub-runs within where they don't make physical contact but still can see each other, with the option of letting them out to mingle in the exercise space. unfortunately all this effort and engineering had been for nothing, because the ducks had assumed full control of the space and would attack and effortlessly defeat both the chickens and the quail the moment they stepped out of their dedicated sub-runs. quail had been killed. i said i'd heard ducks are usually the victims of the poultry yard because of their soft peaceful bills, the breeder looked at me wide-eyed and said "oh no. not these ducks."

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

note to anybody concerned about avian flu, letting your different species of poultry mingle is exactly what you should not do. it was still a beautifully constructed run though. a temple of hen

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

freeedr posted:

Merry crisman
i love it

quote:

I had TWO chooks lay double today, in late November.

The badasses in question:

i love them

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

quoll says: happy henukkah

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

so sorry about your birds csp, predators are awful and it's especially sad when all the others witness the act and are traumatised

ChaseSP posted:

It was a hen and the rooster we are replacing our older one with, a orange boy with wonderful poofy cheeks.
:unsmith: the line will survive

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

divine birds :h:

despite her clipped wings, a fool bumblebeed over the fence. she managed to get herself into a three-inch-wide gap between the neighbour's fence and their shed, which is entirely blocked off on both sides by ivy and shrubs. after ten minutes of swearing, i ended up having to fetch an emergency rooster to coax her out. it worked a treat, currawong immediately started crowing and quoll pobbled straight out to meet him of her own accord. yet again, i am left feeling like they are smarter than i am.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

tiny man is still with us! at that size, every day that he remains in the world is a miracle and a gift :kimchi:

rest in peace, little man. you were a dragon

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

birds really can just look at you like you're an idiot, no matter how ridiculously they behave

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

one of my girls tried to flap into my arms as I walked into the run the other day, but she missed and crashed into the gate next to me

she looked at me like I was such an idiot
:3: i love hearing about affectionate relationships between chickens and humans

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

effervescible posted:

Thanks for the advice folks! I am happy to have become a backyard chicken keeper myself, if only for half an hour or so. :3:
fantastic saga and great ending! thank you for caring :3:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

first snow, chickens are not impressed

lol they're at maximum ruffle

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

Marzipan flew the coop today and is now one with the neighbor's thicket of extremely tangled and impassable wild grape vines and bushes.

If he chooses to come home, he will be welcomed back with open arms and wings.

I hope he survives a beautiful wild quail life!

I did try bringing one of the girls over to call for him but she was just mad about being held.

I tried to get him, myself, but he just went deeper and deeper into the mess. At this point I need either a machete or to become a snake.
:sympathy: it happens, they are guided by fate alone. there's a small chance he'll come back in a month or a year, fat and unharmed. pure chaos

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

margaret is fierce and beautiful. lil pep's dedication is inspiring. i love every single bird in this thread

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

back in broody jail

lol, "life stages" indeed. thoughts and prayers for lil pep :3:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

norris i'm so sorry about your quail! that is terrible! it's good that you managed to catch one as she bumbled around in the wilderness and that you still have three, and the trio you have left are lovely, but you've tried so hard to give these little fools a good life and it's tragic that fate keeps getting in your way. they just don't understand that we want to keep them safe. they look at us like we're idiots and then go off and get themselves slain

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

the quail life!!!!

i will hatch beautiful new children in the spring.

they will also someday do something stupid and terrible, but you know that.
:unsmith: bless them, bless you

i've just been admiring the orbs' morning routine. they have breakfast, and then they all plob down around the cage and gaze at each other serenely. it's enviable to me how they achieve these states of perfect calm when the world is so dangerous for them

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

nothing moves my heart like seeing a quail all splayed out in the sunshine, blissed out and having a wonderful time, as well-camouflaged as a melting soft-serve ice cream on carpark asphalt

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Celestriad posted:

Coturnix quail absolutely are as much adorableness and heartbreak as everyone says. So much heartbreak, in fact, that we decided to try another species of quail, a native one. We are in southeast USA, so we decided to raise bobwhite quails.
:neckbeard: this is so exciting, thank you for posting! ever since i read that quail, robert (recommended in this very thread) i've been really wanting to hear more in-depth about the day-to-day life of bobwhites. there are very few in australia and i haven't met anyone who raises them.

quote:

They go hog-wild over standard birdseed, and it took some getting used to because their "yummy!" noise is extremely similar to a coturnix "I am attempting to murder something" noise. Also, the "bob, bob-WHITE" rooster crow is 1000% more charming than the "industrial machine had a fatal error" coturnix rooster crow.
lol

quote:

(pecking is for losers. bobwhites BITE.)
i love them. coturnix rooster violence is already enough for me to handle, online articles about bobs made it clear they beat each other up all the time and that's the only reason i didn't seek some out. but aggression comes with extra personality!

quote:

beautiful creature

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

I don’t know if it’s due to this cockerel craziness or spring hormones but Big Cheese and Clarence have done some posturing with each other too. Looks like I’m in for some exciting times this spring!
the most magical time of the year :allears:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Celestriad posted:

We hatched a batch of chicks, and after the losses we had one kiddo who behaved really oddly. Side note on bobwhites--in our experience they are EXTREMELY delicate as chicks. We regularly lose 20% of our hatches in the same conditions where we might lose 3% of coturnix chicks. Once they hit a month old, they seem to be pretty much indestructible. This little month-old chick turned out to be blind, and was starting to get bullied. On a whim, we put him in with lonely Flamingo.

Flamingo immediately went full Battle Dad to protect *his* chick. Such a thing is too adorable not to have photographic proof:

Blind kiddo made it to 6 months, which is pretty darn good for a blind bird. He loved to bask in the sunshine, and while Battle Dad Mode stopped once kiddo got big enough, Flamingo always doted on his son.
:qq: that is beautiful! thank you for sharing. quail are blessed

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the ravens have become so bold they try to snatch the quail right in front of me. i say try because the quail are too heavy for them to fly off with, so they just pick them up and drop them. today quoll got picked up and dropped three times in as many minutes, but she saw no cause for concern and in between attempted abductions she just kept pobbling around without a care in the world :allears:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

all are welcome in this house :kimchi:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

i love how focused yet content dusting birds are
same :3: avid blobs

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

all the quails are gone and my pet sitter broke the news to me by asking "how many quails should there be" and "is the corner of the coop supposed to be collapsed inward"
!!!! oh no i am so sorry, there are no words, i'll just emptyquote the beautiful enfys

Enfys posted:

Very rough times for the chicken thread lately and I'm so sorry for all your losses :smith: :sympathy: :cry:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

both my roosters died this week. mini-moose had been failing for a few weeks for no visible reason, he was still young and very healthy but suddenly took a turn for the worse. moose, who brooded him as a chick, stayed with him day and night for the last few days (they slept inside in a box together at night) and when it got cold she would put her wing over him, even though he was fully grown. he was snuggled up against her when he died. i gave his body to the ravens. a few days after that kestrel went over the fence, and the next day the ravens helpfully placed his picked-clean but intact headless skeleton (wings, legs and spine) on a log beside my back gate. they also stole my dog's kong, so i think it may be lean times for them right now. they've since delivered two lamb leg bones to my backyard, possibly in a gesture of reconciliation.

in conclusion, the birds

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the birds :h:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

angry flat hens are an inspiration to me

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Today's the day:
:neckbeard: those lucky, lucky birds!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

there are three more in the other coop...only Lil' Pep isn't broody (yet)
lmao at the smouldering intensity

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

I passed under the guineas’ roosting tree this morning and got pooped on. Not a good omen!
yes it is!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

My chickens got into my blueberry bushes today, and even though it was only a couple of minutes before I noticed, they had the best couple of minutes <:mad:>
:kimchi:

how did they end up going in the heatwave? i'm so glad that you managed to keep them all alive

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

they had a pretty rough time and I worried I was going to lose wee Birdie who has always been in poorer health than the others, but they're looking much better now and back to terrorising my garden

there were a couple low points where they were just panting/gasping and I didn't know what else to do to cool them down that I hadn't already done, so long term I'm going to have to figure something else out because this is going to keep happening more and more :sigh:

and of course thousands died in battery farms yet again
all that you can do is be kind to the ones that are with you :sympathy: every single one of those babies is their own little individual whose whole world is so much better and it's all because of you and your love for them.

it's beautiful how simple they are. if they're terrorising the garden, they're happy, and they live in the moment so that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

them!