Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Can anyone recommend good books on backyard chicken keeping? After I'm done making my way through this whole thread, I'll probably still need a proper education first.

Having chickens is something I've thought about for a while, but now that I'm living in the burbs with a small backyard it seems possible. Just have to convince my SO that the noise will be minimal (edit: in theory! :lol: and limited to daytime) and the smell can be controlled... a much harder thing to accomplish as she's very much anti every pet. But it would be 100% my responsibility anyhow. Also, the town allows only 3 hens, so minimal footprint regardless.

Thanks in advance!

ianskate fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Scientastic posted:

Where I live, that can start at 4am, Summer is quite a tough time to own chickens in London

Oh no... that's something that I was concerned about. What if they have an automatic coop door to get into their run and access food at sunrise so they're not annoyed by the urge to get going, or blackout curtains that open when we're actually awake (~6-7am), or is that animal abuse?

Joburg posted:

Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow is a good one. If you do get chickens I recommend getting the Chicken Health Handbook that’s also by Gail Damerow.

If you have a library near by you can see what they have that’s chicken related. Mine has some books with ideas for chicken coops, making one yourself always cheaper in the long run.

Thank you! I'll see if they've got them, or find them elsewhere if need be.

Definitely considered building my own if it comes to that, but both the run and coop have to be extremely secure as foxes and racoons are always prowling back there. One thought about prefab vs home made is the cost of raw materials these days being so high. Beyond customization they seem relatively same in total cost, but is it ultimately better to diy due to low quality materials in prefab coop builds?