Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Well after 2 weeks of brooding and 4 weeks of molting, Foghorn finally laid an egg and that means I won't have to murder her skinny rear end.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just flip that crock pot over and motion her inside

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Could only get a pic of her leaving, but Karen keeps walking in the drat house like she owns the joint.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Karen decided to join me for breakfast

This was taken immediately before I had to shoo her away from her fried child

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think Karen has either gotten out or was taken, I can't find her in the backyard and there's no sign of her in my cameras after 11:30am

The other two are huddled together, not sure if that's an indication of a predator or not.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 30, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Neighbor found her dead in his yard. Bye Karen. :(

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Rain past couple of days opened a hole in our fence, and it's possible one of his dogs cornered her. Can't see any bite marks and no blood though. Not really sure what happened honestly

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A buddy of mine offered me 2 of his toddlers to replace Karen. Brought them home today.

I'm worried one of these cheep cheeps might be a rooster.

Thinking of Orange and Popcorn on the names.

Foghorn and Sandwich were not impressed with the new cheep cheeps

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

The back gate got left open without my knowing, and the dog got out the back. Down one chicken and another injured :(

Sorry about your raven, poor little thing.

I feel you dude, hope your injured bird makes it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Way to go cheep cheep

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So much chicken poo poo on the sweaters

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry to hear that dude :(

Poor little chickens

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Got all my cameras and auto-gate working again.

Feels good to be able to watch the ladies again after everything has been down for more than a month.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks, I guess I haven't posted the coop in any detail in this thread, cause I didn't know it existed when I built it, but basically the house is on a hill, and the backdoor opens up to 7 feet above ground. They built a deck and a staircase down to the yard, but left it open.

I had decided to enclose below the deck when I bought the house to use it at covered storage, and figured I could make the useless space under the stairs as a chicken coop. We fenced in the gap level with the staircase and built a door. Later on I added a linear actuator I got off of Amazon and an 8 pole relay hooked up to a smart wifi switch so it auto opens 20min before and closes 20min after sunrise.

I also chopped up that red nesting box and inset it into the door between the shed and the roost under the stairs because of a lack of space.

I was originally worried about the smell in the house if I left the backdoor open because the coop is so close, but I actually can't smell anything, and with the way my backyard is a hill I'm not sure any other coop location would have worked. I really like this setup and it's easy to clean out both coop and roost without too much bending over in chicken poo poo with the big doors.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Also here to eat any eggs"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Weird rear end poultry just standing in the rain

And the little cheep cheeps are staying dry.

Chickens don't make any sense.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Popcorn and TBD (named because we haven't determined it's not a rooster) are getting bigger, but staying skinny since they get chased by the puppy.

Sandwich is fat and when the puppy pounces on her she goes into the receiving position.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2OMAP6/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_WZM5CSYZYRAE770QEJTZ

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This might work https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y4T1K91/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_7ZXJJFP9MH8V2WX6QTA7

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm preparing the house for winter (what I live in Texas, this is the first morning it's been less than 40F), has anyone used a chicken water heater like this?

I'm probably going to hook it up to a homebrew temperature controller plug and just leave it in the homer bucket over the winter, I'm just hoping the nipples won't freeze like they did last February.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/. Cool, thats what I was thinking of.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry to hear about your chickens dude. I agree about eating the predator.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hello leghorns

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My chickens refuse to leave the run despite the door open to the frozen backyard.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's official, TBD is a hen. Renaming her to GTC (General Tso's Chicken).

Closeup of the green egg.

Anybody have any ham?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Here's what I got:

Grandpa's Feeder
Homer bucket and Chicken Nipples
I bought a linear actuator and hooked it up to a smart plug to open and close the coop door, but it's rather complicated. Happy to go into more detail if you want.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd be curious to know more, but smart plug sounds like it's connected to grid, which I probably can't do in my yard.

Yep it's on grid. I ran an extension cable off a gci plug in Weatherproof outdoor plug box out to the coop. I also put WiFi cameras out there to watch the run gate and nesting boxes.

Basically I bought a 12v linear actuator, 2x120v to 12v power supplies a 8pin 12v relay, and a smart plug. I put it all in a weatherproof box. Smart plug is set to voice commands "Hey Google open|close the chicken coop" and also will open at sunup and 30min after sundown.

One 12v power provides power to the actuator (with reverse polarity on another pair of pins to close) and another acts as the trigger.

It's very complicated and if I designed the coop again I'd get one if the slider things like Joburg mentioned instead of an opening door, but it works pretty good for the coop design I have.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

General Tso did not like being picked up

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Poor chook. Sorry dude, sometimes this poo poo happens. Probably got scared somehow.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A lot of news about the new bird flu today in the north east, y'all be careful with your chooks.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Casserole

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm doing construction staples (stainless staples basically) and a max of 24 inches between studs and it's working okay.

Put a linear actuator on your coop door. Probably hold it stronger than a flimsy latch and if you get a smart setup it can close at sundown.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's consistently been over 100F for the past month here in Texas. I've gotten my chickens a swamp cooler and they love it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

How hot did it get? I've been using a swamp cooler and giving them fresh water every day and they've survived up to 106 during the day (in the shade it's not that bad, of course) and it stays about 85-90 in the insulated coop at night.

Everyone seems fine, I'm still getting eggs and since I installed the swamp cooler I haven't seen mouth breathing or holding their wings up.

Sorry to hear about your chooks man, may they roost in peace.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Got to remember to rotate your hens

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've heard of people having success with a motion sprinkler like this if you have enough room around the coop.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Foghorn is a very angry floof this week.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That's a big angry cockatrice. The floofs summon the dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like a Doris to me