Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

TheDK posted:

Does anyone else sometimes just stare out a window at their chickens and think:

"These are some weird, dirty rear end, goofy birds that are just constantly making GBS threads all over my stuff and loving up my mulch.

Your chickens don't stare at you obviously wanting something, driving you crazy because you don't know what it is?

It wasn't mealworms, or being let outside to free range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Nettle Soup posted:

They want their eggs back. :colbert:

That barred rock hasn't laid an egg for several months.

I don't know how old she is, since we got her from someone moving across the US, and he also got her already egg-laying from a previous owner. Definitely past peak egg-laying but otherwise :iiam:

I probably need to post pictures some time don't I (none handy now).

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
Someone on Nextdoor posted that there were two chickens seen in a nearby park.

Several hours later, after discovering that chickens are much easier to catch after sunset, we now have two cockerels. They look to be ~4 months old, gray with brown saddle/neck/head.

We already have the maximum number of hens permissible by San Jose law, which doesn't allow mature roosters anyway.

So, uh ... what's the best way to find a good home for reject roosters?

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Joburg posted:

Speaking from my own sad experience, they need to be kept strictly quarantined from your hens.

If you post them on Facebook, Craigslist, NextDoor, or wherever you will most likely find people who will eat them. If they were a special breed then they would have been easier to place, since they were dumped I’m assuming they are barnyard mixes. Those will be very hard to place and you will have to maintain strict biosecurity while you wait, which means probably a cage in your garage or something.

I’m sorry to be so blunt about it but I would kill them and bury them next to a tree if you don’t have a dog to feed the meat to. It’s either you or someone else doing the deed and you can keep the situation very low stress as a kindness to them. They have been through a lot already.

I have lots of experience to share if you decide to cull them.

I figured that was most likely from the get-go ... but I'd never actually done this before, so I just went along with my wife. (The best way to learn that fire is hot is to get burned ...)

We've actually had two cockerels dumped near our doorstep before, in a much less wild neighborhood of San Jose. It took <1 week for both of them to get eaten by predators.

A cage in our house is currently fine. It won't be once the cockerels start crowing.

I suppose I might need to look into the broomstick technique.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
We found a local business that would take the roosters. We paid $1 per rooster-day to quarantine them until they can send them to local rescue ranch.

I think they'll likely even actually do that, because they're both also a cat rescue service (they don't advertise that they're also chicken rescue), and had a bunch of roosters hanging around in large enclosures for no apparent reason.