Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Accidentally ended up doing two vinyl shows at the radio station.

1st one didn't turn out too well because of technical issues. This is the Redux.

sporklift posted:

Haha drat. ItS a CollEcTor'S iTEm!

Speaking of collectors items. Had my old DJ crew over and we recorded a bunch of 7" sets for 45 Day. Tons of fun. Everyone brought a unique set and I think we might be reuniting more often for stuff.

https://www.mixcloud.com/3mdjcollective/

The Time is some good poo poo. Might have to personally go down a rabbit hole of all these Paisley Park offshoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Accidentally ended up doing two vinyl shows at the radio station.

1st one didn't turn out too well because of technical issues. This is the Redux.

The Time is some good poo poo. Might have to personally go down a rabbit hole of all these Paisley Park offshoots.

One thing I don't miss is hauling my crates down to the station only to have technical difficulties. Or even worse get to the studio and the rest of the building (warehouse artspaces) had turned into a rave for the night haha.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hey vinyl thread, I'm hoping y'all can give me some guidance. My mom gave me a record of her father doing an interview on the local radio in 1951, a month before he died in the Korean war.

She wants me to get it digitized, which I assume would be best done by a professional, but the record looks pretty rough from fingerprints and age and whatever else. I know there are plenty of cleaning kits and techniques, but they're all for mass-produced records, and since this looks like it was made in the radio station and is so important, I really don't want to gently caress it up by using something that scratches it or accidently melts it because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not above paying someone to clean it professionally, but before I take it to the local record store, does anyone know about this type of record, and if there's anything I need to keep in mind re: restoring it? I'm pretty lost and I just want to make sure I do it right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That disc looks pretty moldy based on your pictures. I think this is something to work with a professional on since it’s in such rough shape and is of such importance to you.

This is a presto disc, it runs at 78 rpm, and it plays from the inner groove out.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=111494

Hopefully this helps you get started. But yeah, you really should consult with someone who has done this because you care a lot about this.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2024

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

If you want to try doing it yourself, check out Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just quickly check out this 192 page PDF written like a PHD dissertation :psypop:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

:thunk:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

audiophile voice the fish is absolutely essential

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It's not even vinyl you're dealing with.

2nd-ing the "seek out a professional" advice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The addition of the koi improves tone uptake and makes the mids sparkle. Unfortunately this kills the koi.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just quickly check out this 192 page PDF written like a PHD dissertation :psypop:

Yeah it rocks

It’s overkill of course but for restoring/preserving a one of a kind record that’s the kind of info I’d be looking for

E: I missed that it’s not actually vinyl though, so that may not be applicable at all

Eyud fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 2, 2024

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Friend posted:

Hey vinyl thread, I'm hoping y'all can give me some guidance. My mom gave me a record of her father doing an interview on the local radio in 1951, a month before he died in the Korean war.

She wants me to get it digitized, which I assume would be best done by a professional, but the record looks pretty rough from fingerprints and age and whatever else. I know there are plenty of cleaning kits and techniques, but they're all for mass-produced records, and since this looks like it was made in the radio station and is so important, I really don't want to gently caress it up by using something that scratches it or accidently melts it because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not above paying someone to clean it professionally, but before I take it to the local record store, does anyone know about this type of record, and if there's anything I need to keep in mind re: restoring it? I'm pretty lost and I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thats not a vinyl record. This might be applicable. But yeah. Maybe seek a professional.
https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/cleaning-discs

Aaand... last night I decided to finally throw down a little country set for 45 Day. Classic country and honky tonk 7s. Some rarities in there that I acquired from Frank the Drifter at https://www.mixcloud.com/DollarCountry/ Dude puts on an amazing show. Highly recommend if you like crispy records.

Here is my thing.
https://www.mixcloud.com/3mdjcollective/pete-moss-country-mix-for-45-day-2024/

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thanks for the advice everyone! Knew it was probably more fragile than normal but I didn't realize the extent.

sporklift posted:

Thats not a vinyl record. This might be applicable. But yeah. Maybe seek a professional.
https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/cleaning-discs

Thanks for the link, I got in touch with NEDCC and they said they'd be able to digitize it for $500. I guess my siblings and I have our mother's day gift sorted this year.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Be sure to upload the show to Archive.org! Old radio recordings are a treasure.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I probably would just try... Playing it :shrug:. Using a 3 mil stylus at a low tracking force. I wouldn't try cleaning it myself though. Those lacquer-coated metal discs can flake apart pretty easily. Luckily yours seems to be in good shape that it should be playable all the way through.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Filling out Big Black with 2 EPs and 2 singles. Next Atomizer which I'll probably get when I go down to pick up the new Shellac album later this month. After that it's off to discogs for their interview EP and SOUND OF IMPACT if I can find someone who'll ship it to Australia for not ridiculous money.

Please to enjoy an MP3 download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

hello vinyl thread. i bought the tone poet release of chet baker sings and put it on my turntable and nearly cried it sounded so good. i know i'm not breaking new ground, but these tone poets, they're pretty freaking good!!!!!!!!