Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SwiftTheFox posted:

5d mkII, canon 70-200 f4, canon 85 f1.8, and a sigma 50mm 1.4

Nice, that should take care of a lot for you. Don't be afraid to take some generous crops at times either. Ordinarily you want to keep things as tight as possible.

In other news, here are the 4 things you need to shoot a sailboat race (Not exactly the America's Cup, it was like 20 Sunfish and a few Lasers :v:).

:cool:

Pictures of the race to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

In the process of uploading a ton of pictures from Auto24 Rally Estonia 2011.
Biggest rally event of the year in the Baltic states, totally worth the ~3 hour drive, 30 minutes of walking to a stage and then waiting 60 at the side of a track to see a glimpse of a car for a few seconds, once a minute. :)
e: here goes - the whole set, if anyone's interested. Almost 600 photos.

Don't get a Civic Type-R if you like jumping, they don't tend to land very well, almost always on the front.

Lovely sun.

I think this was the second-longest jump, around 32 meters.

Thanks for the flash, buddy!

Sparks!

Where'd the car go?

Is that... ?

Almost rolled, but somehow managed to get back on four wheels.

Name's Honda but drives a Subaru. :downs:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X :fap:

And a pair of oldies to finish it off.

I hope you guys don't mind so many pictures in-thread.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 17, 2011

Zevo
Jun 1, 2008
I've got a question on some technical specs... and I know there is a "I want to buy a camera" Ive read it, but I wanted to make sure I get the input from the people doing what I want to do.

Im going to be shooting triathlons and bike racing. I've been using a tiny sony point-n-click but decided I had camera envy and want to upgrade.

I have about $1500 to spend and trying to figure out what will be a good 'entry level' setup to get some nice pictures?

The OP is helpful, but I find myself wondering what numbers are good and what are better? I know you can spend oodles and oodles so Id like to get the most I can for what Im going to be doing.

So far Im thinking

ISO: All the cameras are high enough since Im going to be shooting outdoors during the day time... except for maybe a few of the early morning shots before the sun comes up?

Burst Speed: How many Shots per second? Mine seems to do like 1... so more the better Id guess? Is 4.5 good enough?

Autofocus: All the camera descriptions I see have some proprietary focus thing that says you get awesome pics doood, but not sure how to compare.

Zoom: So i see a lot of numbers on these... From looking at others, I think I should be in the 50-200/300mm range. Maybe?

Any suggestions on bodies and lenses I should be looking at?
Is it better to get the body separate from the lens (some come as a package with a lens I dont know if I'd need, but my find useful later?)
Nikon or Cannon or does it matter?
Like a used/refurbished D7000? Or is that too much camera for me (as a newbie) and save some $$ and get a D90 for $6-700?
With a used/refurb 70-300?

Cheers!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unless I'm wrong, triatholons and bike racing are almost always outdoors, so ISO performance isn't as much of a worry compared to other events. Burst speed may not be either since you have constant motion (running, biking, swimming) instead of something that can happen very quickly (ball being thrown, kicked, etc). Anywhere from 3-5 FPS should suit you fine and drat near every entry level DSLR should handle that.

Focus is part the camera and part the lens. I'd say a bit more the latter but that's me. As for Nikon or Canon, get your hands on either one and see what fits you best. Both have very good entry to mid level bodies available, and their used/refurb market is enormous and should save you some good money.

Far as focal length goes, a 50-200 or 70-200 should suit you just fine for events like those. You shouldn't need anything longer. I don't know about the Nikon or Canon entry level 70-300 lenses but if they're anything like my old Oly 70-300 f/4.0-5.6, it won't be great.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
gh0st your photos are incredible.

More rally photos! I went to the New England Forest Rally this weekend. Was my third year there. I love shooting rally and racing events, I want to get a media pass or something in the future, not just spectate.

Mexico:

Concord Pond:

Day 2:

MythObstacleIV fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 18, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is rally as difficult to shoot as it looks like it might be? Seems like you're combining the difficulty of panning with dirt kicked up everywhere and cars jumping every 20 feet.

Not to say your shots aren't good, MO-IV, they are, just seems like it could get really tough at times.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

DJExile posted:

Is rally as difficult to shoot as it looks like it might be? Seems like you're combining the difficulty of panning with dirt kicked up everywhere and cars jumping every 20 feet.

Not to say your shots aren't good, MO-IV, they are, just seems like it could get really tough at times.

Not really, in my opinion. I know the sport well on the racing side, so you just have to know where to stand, how they will take there lines, and what to expect. If it's your first time ever at rally, it will be tough at first to figure out what you may want to do. Getting up high is always good. I think I'm just lucky for not getting a rock in a lens, this year I brought my camera down and then got hit near my eye.

Some guys have those fancy plastic bags to cover their gear, I just brought two bandanas, one for my face so I could breathe, and one to cover my lens and camera once they were gone. Some guys next to me had painter's masks on. Depends where you go I guess.

If you pick a crappy spot that will be mostly dirt as they drive away, yeah, it sucks. I've seen some guys bring ladders out into the woods. It's so much fun though, I love it.

MythObstacleIV fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 18, 2011

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
All I gotta say is, gently caress yeah rally. Awesome shots on both your parts.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I shoot rugby

IMG_7268 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7145-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Ivan by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6719 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6714 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6709 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6679 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Through the pack by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7125-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Ready to go by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Scrum by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7163-Edit2 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Auditore posted:

I shoot rugby

IMG_6709 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Haha this is awesome, poor guy's got the whole field chasing after him. Too bad you're stuck shooting at f/5.6, this should would be great with a cleaned up background.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Auditore posted:

I shoot rugby

IMG_7268 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Goddamn this is great. I'd crop it from the top a bit but I just love this shot.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
drat, I was planning to context-aware fill that person out in the background. Would that add to the impact/central focus of the shot?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Zevo posted:

I've got a question on some technical specs... and I know there is a "I want to buy a camera" Ive read it, but I wanted to make sure I get the input from the people doing what I want to do.

Im going to be shooting triathlons and bike racing. I've been using a tiny sony point-n-click but decided I had camera envy and want to upgrade.

I have about $1500 to spend and trying to figure out what will be a good 'entry level' setup to get some nice pictures?

The OP is helpful, but I find myself wondering what numbers are good and what are better? I know you can spend oodles and oodles so Id like to get the most I can for what Im going to be doing.

So far Im thinking

ISO: All the cameras are high enough since Im going to be shooting outdoors during the day time... except for maybe a few of the early morning shots before the sun comes up?

Burst Speed: How many Shots per second? Mine seems to do like 1... so more the better Id guess? Is 4.5 good enough?

Autofocus: All the camera descriptions I see have some proprietary focus thing that says you get awesome pics doood, but not sure how to compare.

Zoom: So i see a lot of numbers on these... From looking at others, I think I should be in the 50-200/300mm range. Maybe?

Any suggestions on bodies and lenses I should be looking at?
Is it better to get the body separate from the lens (some come as a package with a lens I dont know if I'd need, but my find useful later?)
Nikon or Cannon or does it matter?
Like a used/refurbished D7000? Or is that too much camera for me (as a newbie) and save some $$ and get a D90 for $6-700?
With a used/refurb 70-300?

Cheers!

When I first started shooting triathlons I used a Rebel XT with a 28-105 3.5-4.5, and for just messing around it was fine. The real question is what you're hoping to get out of your race photos.

Either Canon or Nikon offers some great gear. A used Canon 50D or Nikon D200 would be a good place to start if you're thinking about doing anything serious. Anything less than 5 fps is going to be a little sluggish for shooting cycling. You will also find yourself using higher ISO than you would think when shooting action. To freeze the motion of a bicycle at full speed you often need shutter speeds in excess of 1/1000, which mean shooting in the shade can require up to 1600ISO. Which is a little iffy on the D200 and other similarly priced cameras.

As for glass you will probably be happy starting out with a variable aperture zoom like the 70-300 you mentioned. A good long focal length is a good idea for most sports, especially if you plan to do any panning. Separation between your subject and background is also really important in race photography, as is a fast shutter speed. These two reasons will eventually make you upgrade to something like the Canon 70-200 f/4 (or 2.8 if you can swing it) or the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. From there you have slippery slope to big white telephoto primes that cost more than your car.

-----

Here's how I spent my Sunday morning.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Golfer1 Holing Out by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer19 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer5 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer9 Holing Out by torgeaux, on Flickr

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yesterday, I went out to north Boulder and shot some paragliders:

The dude in the foreground is practicing controlling his chute:

I hiked up the hill to catch some launches from up close and shoot the gliders from above, but when I got up there, I discovered that my memory card had died. I could read images from it, but writing to it was impossible. Didn't have a spare on me.

The last shot of the afternoon:

EDIT:

Bonus, Tim Hudson bunts during last Wednesday's Rockies-Braves game:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 24, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

a foolish pianist posted:

LOVING this! Awesome!

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Met up with some dudes who long board crazy fast down hills. First time shooting something like this so I feel I got a bit more to learn about it.

Untitled by jakedropkick, on Flickr

Not crazy proud of the set but here it is if you wanna gander.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakescallan/sets/72157627149562441/

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Med school had a sports exchange with the other schools in the nation and I got a chance to give Rugby and Soccer a shot, but I feel like I'm really missing something with these photos. We've got an exchange where we are playing the law school this weekend, and I'd love a little feedback/general advice.

IMG_2692 by trambopaline, on Flickr

IMG_2645 by trambopaline, on Flickr

IMG_2613 by trambopaline, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

Med school had a sports exchange with the other schools in the nation and I got a chance to give Rugby and Soccer a shot, but I feel like I'm really missing something with these photos. We've got an exchange where we are playing the law school this weekend, and I'd love a little feedback/general advice.

You're capturing good action but in almost every case you want the aperture much larger than f/9. What lens were you using?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Also try shooting from lower, kneeling or sitting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Also try shooting from lower, kneeling or sitting.

This is a really good point. Always helps to make the athletes look bigger, and it's especially good when players are bent over or crouching (rugby scrums, football snaps, lacrosse/hockey faceoffs, etc).

This was laying prone:

This was standing:

Now in fairness, I'm 6'6" so pictures of most people while I'm standing are going to make them look shorter.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

DJExile posted:

What lens were you using?

The f/9 has been a bit of a compromise because of the slow AF of my cheap and nasty (in the grand scheme of things) Canon XS/75-300mm f4-f5.6 III. I had a bit of trouble keeping things in focus, so essentially I was just trying to bracket the depth of field.

And thanks for the tip about crouching. I was staying upright because it was my first time shooting sports and I was wearing out my legs trying to keep up. Adding a few squats into the sprinting after action was a bit much for me. I guess I just need to work out more :).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

The f/9 has been a bit of a compromise because of the slow AF of my cheap and nasty (in the grand scheme of things) Canon XS/75-300mm f4-f5.6 III. I had a bit of trouble keeping things in focus, so essentially I was just trying to bracket the depth of field.

That's fine, prefocusing to an area and waiting for action to enter the DOF isn't a bad thing (although it can be difficult), but go pull up any DOF Calculator and do some number crunching to see what might work better. f/9.0 at most sports distances is an enormous depth of field, and you can probably make do with just holding it at f/5.6 in most cases.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Went and met up with some more dudes. This guy was crazy gnarly, local pro.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Went and met up with some more dudes. This guy was crazy gnarly, local pro.

Are those just some crazy gloves or are his fingers duct taped? :psyduck:

In other news... It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccck for the weekend, anyway

:q:

More to come sometime this weekend

E: Oh god I am excited to shoot hockey again, something is horribly wrong with me

DJExile fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 30, 2011

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
They were like gardening gloves with duct tape on them.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Flight by trambopaline, on Flickr

Cross posting from the competition.

I had a blast on the weekend. This is probably my favourite of the set. The only other two I've got that I feel might be worth showing are

No Contest by trambopaline, on Flickr

and

Kickoff by trambopaline, on Flickr

Actually I might like the kickoff photo just a little more, I dunno.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still throwing away tons due to missed focus or just plain and simple derpface from the players though. I have to say, this may very well be the start of a crippling addiction to high speed gear and sports photography.

Oh and we beat the law school :toot:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Trambopaline posted:

Kickoff by trambopaline, on Flickr

Actually I might like the kickoff photo just a little more, I dunno.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still throwing away tons due to missed focus or just plain and simple derpface from the players though. I have to say, this may very well be the start of a crippling addiction to high speed gear and sports photography.

This is good, did you crop? Everyone is in the frame, which is a massive bonus. Having half a player in the frame on the edge in the background is always annoying with rugby/touch/league/oval ball running sports.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
This is a cross-post from the contest thread. I've decided to stop posting kids from my own school since there are privacy regulations that restrict me as a school employee, even at public events... but apparently it's fine to post pictures of kids from other schools?

So yeah. More tennis.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Auditore posted:

This is good, did you crop?

Just a mote, it's about an 80% crop. And that is very true. Players are just so uncooperative. I had throw away a stack of shots because half obscuring the awesome action is a player ambling with his hands on his hips.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's summer: where da watersports at?!

I just got back from vacation with my 7D and a rented 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. I'm amazed at how fast that combination could focus.

(click for big)

Should I crop it tighter? I have ~1000 more shots of skiing and wakeboarding to go through and this is all new to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Should I crop it tighter? I have ~1000 more shots of skiing and wakeboarding to go through and this is all new to me.

It depends. Here, a wider crop works because you get a great spray and rainbow in the shot. At the same time you're not so tight on the right side that the skier doesn't have anywhere to go, so to speak.

That said, getting in closer to get expressions and hard cuts can work well also. The good thing is sports like this are a little more flexible in how much you fill the frame with the subject.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Shameless crosspost from SAD; Crossfit Games 2011:

DSC_8400 by capacity4action, on Flickr

DSC_8292 by capacity4action, on Flickr

DSC_8528 by capacity4action, on Flickr

DSC_8503 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Hey Dorkroomers, I'm a lurker since about five years who decided to finally get an account when I realised I wouldn't want any other internet people judging my amateurish and mediocre photos!

I've been lucky enough to get to shoot a lot of australian football in the last year (although I'm not in Australia). It's an exciting and very, very fast game which makes it lots of fun but also challenging to shoot. I'm constantly striving to take better pictures, especially because hardly anyone else has the time/inclination to photograph this particular team so I feel I really need to be at my best at all times. At the moment I'm making do with a Canon 400D and the 55-250mm f/4-5.6 but I'm thinking of renting something longer and faster lens-wise for the next game, just to see what I can do with that. Limits of my current set-up include a maximum ISO of 1600, a maximum aperture of 5.6, unreliable auto-focusing (I suspect this is both lens and body working together) and a range that's a bit on the short side given how huge the field is. Otherwise, all flaws are entirely my fault! I know I have a long way to go still before I produce work that is genuinely good, but I'm enjoying the learning process. All that said, here are some shots I'm pleased with:

From national games:

IMG_1238 by Norrskensren

IMG_1135-2 by Norrskensren

IMG_3297 by Norrskensren

IMG_5910-1 by Norrskensren

IMG_5122 by Norrskensren

IMG_5434 by Norrskensren

IMG_6541 by Norrskensren

IMG_6565 by Norrskensren

IMG_6609 by Norrskensren

DSC_0586 by Norrskensren

IMG_6765 by Norrskensren

IMG_6360 by Norrskensren

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Some more longboard madness. Seriously shooting and hanging out with these guys is a blast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakescallan/sets/72157627235813359/ link to the whole set.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A friend of mine is on a local softball team and I was planning on shooting one of their games this Friday. It's scheduled for 6 pm, which is like 1-2 hours before sunset.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i and I'm going to be bringing my 70-200 F4L, and Tamron 17-50 in case they want some group shots. I was also going to bring a monopod and my 580 EX II speedlite. Does that sound like a good equipment set for this game? Yes I know the F2.8 IS II is the best but I'm poor...

Anyway, any advice for shooting softball? And do you think the flash is a good idea for freezing motion / when it gets darker?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'd go for what I could and not use the flash in the game. You're going to be too far away for it to do much OR it'll distract the people OR it will just come out looking bad with a super dark background.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
That sounds reasonable. I'll keep the flash in my bag along with the 17-50 in case they want post-game shots.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

Norrskensren posted:

Hey Dorkroomers, I'm a lurker since about five years who decided to finally get an account when I realised I wouldn't want any other internet people judging my amateurish and mediocre photos!

I'm not a sports photo person but I like these. A lot of shots of amateur sports have empty stands and such in the background which I think looks terrible (though I realize is often unavoidable), but these have nice trees and such instead which improves them tremendously I think. Your colours are good, framing is tight enough, etc. Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Are there any good systems for keep a camera accessible but also out of the way for steep or hard hiking? I hate stopping, unstrapping my pack, taking out the camera, shooting a few photos, and then putting it all back.

Is there some kind of quick-draw chest bag or strap that would hold the camera against my torso and keep it from swinging, but still allow fast and easy access?

This is the kind of scrambling I'm talking about, Mount Lady Washington, RMNP, around 12k feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-ft1gWBzk

Please ignore the beard. I grew it on a dare for this Colorado trip.