Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, the charging bottleneck is probably going to be how much power your laptop actually consumes as you do tasks, unless you're comfortable with your laptop discharging while you're plugged in and using it. Apple Silicon can usually scrape by on 45W, here but 65W is my minimum personally, with 96W for Intel models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I do that, for domestic trips I just plug in my MacBook using the fast charger cable then plug my watch, phone and iPad into it.

For international I have a little folding power strip with two grounded US plugs, a usb-c and a usb-a. Everything plugs nicely into that and I just bring along the adapter I need for whatever country.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there are travel adapter/power plugs that have high power USB PD ports these days (65W or 100W)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah the one that comes with the computer plus this

https://www.apple.com/ch-de/shop/product/MD837ZM/A/apple-reise-adapter-kit

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
But then I would have to have my MacBook on all the time to use it's ports, right?

I found something like this - https://slimq.life/products/150w-3c1a-pd3-1-usb-c-charger but the reviews online aren't the best.

Or this one here - https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charger-Charging-Station-Compatible/dp/B0B6PHT926/ but can only charge between 45W to 65W if the other plugs are being used.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 and since I travel a lot, I'm looking to consolidate all my different travel plugs.

What is the minimum required wattage to charge my MacBook? I don't do many resource intensive tasks except for some video calls here and there.

Do you have any recommendations on any safe and reliable travel plugs that I can use while abroad? I like a lot of the Anker options, but I don't have much faith in using a travel adapter with the Anker and plugging the brick into the wall.

I have a 14” MacBook Pro M3 Pro and I use https://a.co/d/fZyAK0b for my charging purposes. It takes a minute or two for it to start charging when plugged in. It will do 65W when only the MacBook is plugged in and will drop to 40W if all of the ports are in use but it still charges and it is very compact. There are newer ones that will do 100W but I don’t see a reason to upgrade yet. I highly recommend Anker.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

god this blows posted:

I have a 14” MacBook Pro M3 Pro and I use https://a.co/d/fZyAK0b for my charging purposes. It takes a minute or two for it to start charging when plugged in. It will do 65W when only the MacBook is plugged in and will drop to 40W if all of the ports are in use but it still charges and it is very compact. There are newer ones that will do 100W but I don’t see a reason to upgrade yet. I highly recommend Anker.

Thanks for sharing. Why does it take a minute or two to start charging? I also really like Anker but since I will be using it to travel a lot (and changing travel plugs), I haven't had good experience with the straight to wall adapters with an added travel plug since the weight of the adapter makes everything very unstable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you can also buy something that has pass through power delivery. then you can just use an apple charger with your adapter. plug that into an anker hub or whatever, which plugs into your macbook. it’s what my spouse uses

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Thanks for sharing. Why does it take a minute or two to start charging? I also really like Anker but since I will be using it to travel a lot (and changing travel plugs), I haven't had good experience with the straight to wall adapters with an added travel plug since the weight of the adapter makes everything very unstable.

When you plug it in it immediately switches from battery to wall power but the actually battery charging takes the time. I am guessing it’s some PD spec or something. I hear you on the plug portion of it, and it’s the one thing I wish Anker did. I have heard good things about ugreen and they make one with swappable plugs https://www.ugreen.com/products/ugreen-65w-nexode-gan-usb-c-3-port-charger-with-us-uk-eu-plug-for-travel

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Pretty sure the macbooks also have battery optimization like iOS devices, don't they? They won't actually charge the battery unless it needs to be, or you've overriden the charging profile / optimization settings.

quote:

See if your battery’s condition is normal, or if service is recommended. See Check the condition of your Mac laptop’s battery.

Click the Info button next to the condition to turn on the following:

Optimized Battery Charging: To reduce battery aging, have your Mac learn your daily charging routine. Then your Mac delays charging past 80% when it predicts that you’ll be plugged in for an extended period of time, and aims to fully charge the battery before you unplug.

Manage battery longevity: Reduce peak capacity to optimize the battery’s lifespan. See the Apple Support article About battery health management in Mac laptops.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlfc3b7879/mac

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I love multi-port travel chargers.

I have this 65w model: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-4-Port-MacBook-Laptops/dp/B098WQRGNQ/

and this 140w model: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Detachable-Extension-Non-Battery-Non-Wireless/dp/B0BSGH355C/

and I'd recommend the 65w unless you're using a 16" mbp heavily. The difference in actual charge time is negligible since it spends not a ton of time charging above 80w. It's 1/3 of the weight and uses a standard cord that can be swapped for international use, unlike its big brother.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pretty sure I want a midnight MBA. Any issues with that finish? It looks kinda fingerprinty, not sure I care though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well why not posted:

pretty sure I want a midnight MBA. Any issues with that finish? It looks kinda fingerprinty, not sure I care though.

doesn’t seem to be much of an issue for the one my so uses

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

well why not posted:

the new black finish for the MBPs is definitely less fingerprinty, but also definitely less cool than the blue-purple of the midnight MBA

FWIW, I think the finish on the M3 Airs is supposed to be less fingerprinty than the one that the M2 models shipped with

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

My midnight M2 MBA definitely has visible fingerprints on it, but I really never notice it unless I'm looking for it. It isn't noticeably different from the space grey one I use at work.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm gonna say anyone picking up a new MBP or MBA should immediately put on one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZP4BD6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I tried a couple of brands and this one has been the best fit and most durable so far. Otherwise you're going to get shiny-palmrest syndrome.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

or just own it, that is going to look like poo poo on a blue air

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Data Graham posted:

I'm gonna say anyone picking up a new MBP or MBA should immediately put on one of these:

I tried a couple of brands and this one has been the best fit and most durable so far. Otherwise you're going to get shiny-palmrest syndrome.

I'd rather just wipe down my solid aluminum palmrest periodically than have to deal with a clear sticker picking up dust and grime and poo poo along the edges

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you’d need to wipe after every single use. even so if just take the wear. it’s fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Lmfao

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I somehow remember that Graham has unusually corrosive hands, maybe teflon coating all your metalware makes sense in that situation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean it could well be me. It was never an issue prior to the M1 series cases though.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Maybe it's because we all contain enough mercury and gallium now to make the aluminum crumble over time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I also have corrosive hands but even i won’t put a stupid sticker like that on an mbp.

Yes i paid a lot of money for an aluminum laptop, but i yearn for the feel if a $399 hp laptop

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
gonna wrap my MacBook in the same plastic my grandma wrapped her couch in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dunno what you guys are talking about with the plastic grandma decal stuff, the whole reason I'm recommending it is that it's metallic and has a textured surface and is very precisely shaped to fit. It feels a lot nicer than the bare metal and resists any fingerprints or smudging or whatever alien acids I have that eat the metal. It's not transparent or anything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I just make sure I have clean hands when using my laptop and give the surfaces an occasional clean with a glasses wetwipe 🤷🏻

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

I just make sure I have clean hands when using my laptop and give the surfaces an occasional clean with a glasses wetwipe 🤷🏻

that’s great but just normal sebum and the like can cause this over time. it’s not about being clean or dirty.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So with the iPad Pros jumping to M4, it makes me wonder if they will skip M3 for the Studio and Mac Pro next month with no updates in general, or change the cadence so those get them and the Ultra and Max start debuting each year at WWDC. I’m assuming it’s the former.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So is going from the M3 MBPs to the M4 iPad Pro the shortest generation we've seen?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I think so - I was trying to think about any past instances where Apple Silicon made such a quick jump, and I can't think of any quickly.

It seems like an urgent jump to try and demonstrate AI capabilities given what the the rumors are saying about on-device AI usage.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Genuinely interested to see just how different the M4 is from the M3/Pro. Like is a truly new generator, or is it just a more efficient or ipad-optimized design of the existing M3?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so ready to finally ditch this 2017 MacBook Pro with fans that are constantly on for an M4 14" MacBook Pro by the end of the year. Make it so, Apple.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

Genuinely interested to see just how different the M4 is from the M3/Pro. Like is a truly new generator, or is it just a more efficient or ipad-optimized design of the existing M3?

Yeah, I don’t think I saw anything about how many neural cores it has now, they just mentioned that it’s their most powerful neural engine ever. And of course the iPad has hardware raytracing now, which is cool.

Given Apple’s AI push though, I wonder if we actually might see the M4 Max and M4 Ultra debut next month, since they’ll want to push developers to get involved with their AI efforts I assume.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I don’t think I saw anything about how many neural cores it has now, they just mentioned that it’s their most powerful neural engine ever. And of course the iPad has hardware raytracing now, which is cool.

Given Apple’s AI push though, I wonder if we actually might see the M4 Max and M4 Ultra debut next month, since they’ll want to push developers to get involved with their AI efforts I assume.

I just read on Ars Technica that the M4 NPU is roughly around twice the performance (38TOPs) of the M3 version (18TOPs). Though TOPs is a very loose non-benchmark-y measure of performance, since you can't compare like-for-like. The M4 sounds pretty much like a refined version of the M3 built on the much more cost-effective N3E process node (which is a pretty major redesign in itself), with a fatter NPU to help counter the "Apple doesn't care about AI" chatter.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Oh wow, thanks! I hadn’t seen anything yet this morning but I had only been checking occasionally and actually forgot about checking Ars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
Given that the rumour about M4 iPads turned out to be true, it'll be interesting to see if the same source's (Bloomberg) other claims also come true at WWDC. If so, we have 3 tiers of new M4 chips incoming, including a super-high-end one exclusively for the new Mac Pro, that will probably be some kind of behemoth multi-die design using advanced packaging interconnects in a similar manner to AMDs big boys (different to the fusion connection in the previous Ultra).
I do wonder if Apple is actually worried about the forthcoming Snapdragon X Elite. Especially since that thing is claimed to have a NPU rated at 45TOPs. Competition is good though, for everyone!