Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If that's anything like my house, it's because someone tried to reattach the old knob with quickcrete and it was easier to move up and place a new knob than deal with that poo poo. Alternatively the bathroom door was kicked in and the jamb is broken at that point as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The old knob/latch mechanism takes out a large chunk of wood during installation, and then leaves a massive hole behind, once you remove it.

So yes, they just drill all new holes for the modern lock installation, and leave old hardware behind as a filler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

I think those older knobs use different sized holes so it might have been easier for them to drill a hole in fresh wood to keep the holesaw from wandering then left the old knob to cover the hole. Probably worked until that old knob started to droop :flaccid:.

Yeah, they have a large rectangular mortise e.g. my bathroom door

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 25, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My house had a few of those but they just attached them to the exterior of the door.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Danhenge posted:

Yeah, they have a large rectangular mortise e.g. my bathroom door

I have thankfully never had to deal with those kinds of knobs so I always forget how huge they are inside the door.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are plenty of companies making replacement parts or entire inserts, they work very well. Plus you can switch knobs around, and the selection gets pretty funky.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cat Hatter posted:

I have thankfully never had to deal with those kinds of knobs so I always forget how huge they are inside the door.

The doors they're in are generally so thin that you want to replace them anyway otherwise everyone can hear you fart from the other side of the building.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The doors they're in are generally so thin that you want to replace them anyway otherwise everyone can hear you fart from the other side of the building.

Feature, not a bug.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Feature, not a bug.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have a 100 year old house and was thinking of replacing the original interior doors. Some folks say its heresy to replace historical doors. Should I?

The reason I would want to do it is nicer looks (especially on the hardware) and better sound insulation.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrChrome posted:

I have a 100 year old house and was thinking of replacing the original interior doors. Some folks say its heresy to replace historical doors. Should I?

The reason I would want to do it is nicer looks (especially on the hardware) and better sound insulation.

Are the old doors hollow or solid? If they're solid, replacing them isn't likely to improve sound insulation.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MrChrome posted:

The reason I would want to do it is nicer looks (especially on the hardware)

Reproductions are available for the vast majority of old mortise lockset hardware.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MrChrome posted:

I don't think that it's heresy, but our house is over a hundred years old and not only are all the doors not a standard size, they are all slightly different sizes as well. So in order to replace them, we would have to try and find doors that are close and plane/trim them, or get a bunch of custom-made doors. One of them was damaged and I ultimately just patched up the thing rather than deal with trying to replace it's weirdass size.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

MrChrome posted:

A 100 year old house isn't inherently special, nobody needs to carry on living in drafty buildings with one inch gaps under warped doors that won't close just because the building's old. gently caress that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Old =\= historical

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Don't feel bad about restomodding a house. My opinion is you should try to keep the character of the house, but don't sacrifice your comfort (or safety) because of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This picture is a perfect depiction of what most old houses are like. There's no amazing historic charm and bygone craftsmanship, it's just really run down and lovely and it takes a ton of work and money to renovate anything into being at all decent. So often this is the sort of stuff we're fighting to preserve.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My house is 100 years old too, the doors are original and the problem with them isn't the doors, it's that the house has shifted and settled so much that the frames are non rectangular parallelograms.

edit only one of them doesn't latch, but that's probably because of the 100 years of layers of paint that I'm afraid to sand down due to probable lead

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You'll put up with something that is creaky, uneven, drafty, or just ugly to look at and whoever owns your house next has a high likely to just rip it out immediately.

I would only pause if the doors had some cool original carvings or something that made them visually unique. Or if the entire house was original then I'd hope the owner tries to retain that as much as reasonable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am finally down to my final two interior doors inside my (now approaching) 85yo house needing restoration. If you have solid wood doors and are willing to put in a little bit (ok, a lot) of sweat equity, you can make them beautiful again. Pull out the mortise locks and fill in the void with a piece of wood and some filler. Cut a new hole for a modern handle set. Fill in all the little dings and dents, sand, prime, and paint. Door too short? Add a filler strip. Admittedly, it is a lot of work, but new solid wood doors are surprisingly expensive, and it feels good to have saved some original elements of my home.

Even the beat to hell ones can be saved. Former owner was a wheelchair user at the end of his life, and most of the doors and almost all the door trim was ground down at the same height from a wheelchair rubbing on it for years.

Before and after, still need to repaint the stop moulding that I replaced

You can even fix dumb poo poo like this! Most of the doors in the house are a tad short, I assume carpet was installed at some point. Someone took this door off to chop off the bottom, but cut off the top by mistake. Didn't want to put in the effort to fix their mistake so they just cut off the bottom too and called it a day.

Glued and screwed on a filler strip. Filled all the other dents and holes. So. Much. Sanding.

All the work is in the prep. Now I just need to prime and paint these two and I will finally be done.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Even the beat to hell ones can be saved. Former owner was a wheelchair user at the end of his life, and most of the doors and almost all the door trim was ground down at the same height from a wheelchair rubbing on it for years.

Christ, that was a loving tall wheelchair.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Love seeing the old doors saved.

My 1930 bungalow had hollow-core luan doors when we bought it. The originals were long gone.

I bought two solid slabs at Home Depot and used the existing doors as templates for hinge & latch location. Hoping to replace the last one (my office door) with a 12-light slab this year.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

In case you weren't joking, that door is upside down

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Ultra Carp

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My house was built in 1920. It's the old style door latches. Oddly the ones in the bathroom have keyholes on the plate but there's no place to put the keys. Some of the doors are different and I've thought about making them all match.

The house has settled a little but it's not bad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Love seeing the old doors saved.

My 1930 bungalow had hollow-core luan doors when we bought it. The originals were long gone.

I bought two solid slabs at Home Depot and used the existing doors as templates for hinge & latch location. Hoping to replace the last one (my office door) with a 12-light slab this year.

I get the sickest urges to drill holes in the top of my hollow doors and use expanding foam in them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I get the sickest urges to drill holes in the top of my hollow doors and use expanding foam in them.

It's absolutely not going to work out the way you think it will. There's a cardboard structure inside your "hollow" door, foam is going to stop as soon as it hits the first piece. And then there's a good chance it's going to bow out the veneer.

Pay the extra $40 for the solid core variant and never worry about it again. Or just buy a slab and reuse the frame.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It's absolutely not going to work out the way you think it will. There's a cardboard structure inside your "hollow" door, foam is going to stop as soon as it hits the first piece. And then there's a good chance it's going to bow out the veneer.

Pay the extra $40 for the solid core variant and never worry about it again. Or just buy a slab and reuse the frame.

I said they were sick urges! But yes a baffle in there makes sense. I now have the sick urge to put shallow mount subwoofers in the doors and use their volume and baffles to my benefit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

VelociBacon posted:

I still suspect it might have worked!!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrChrome posted:

Do what you want. If the house is that old it probably has an attic or basement or weird storage nooks, so you can just put the old doors there and if some future owner wants to "restore" the original doors they will have no cause to curse you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do what you want. If the house is that old it probably has an attic or basement or weird storage nooks, so you can just put the old doors there and if some future owner wants to "restore" the original doors they will have no cause to curse you.

I have to imagine Europeans who find their way here are super confused about 100 year old homes being remotely considered heritage. What's the saying - Americans think 100 years is old, Europeans think 100 miles is far?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Maybe not: the way Europe's population exploded in the 19th and 20th centuries means that a lot of houses are pretty recent. Around UK cities and suburbs you'll see a lot of houses that are 1880s-1930s, and then there are a bunch of 1950s-1960s developments.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I know Japan has the whole "disposable housing" mindset where houses are expected to be torn down and replaced regularly. So would they find value in "historical buildings" (outside like, famous shrines and the imperial palace)? Or would that just be weird to them, like declaring a trailer park a historical monument.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
They absolutely do but due to a combination of geography, history and culture it's more "this shrine has been in this spot for hundreds of years, we rebuild every century or so." Not a lot of stone construction.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

wheatpuppy posted:

I know Japan has the whole "disposable housing" mindset where houses are expected to be torn down and replaced regularly. So would they find value in "historical buildings" (outside like, famous shrines and the imperial palace)? Or would that just be weird to them, like declaring a trailer park a historical monument.

The difference is that if you completely demolished a temple and rebuilt it the same way in the same place, they'd consider it to be the same temple, whereas in the west we'd consider it a reconstruction or replica.

The actual building is considered a consumable, replaceable thing. It is the site, it's function and operations that matter to them. If the ship of Theseus can't move then it's definitely the same ship.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm making the same face as that kitchen.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The tile pattern layout on the left is causing me psychic pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I don't hate it; fix the tile dimensions and I'd blearily make coffee and tea there of a morning. What am I missing?