Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VelociBacon posted:

I have to imagine Europeans who find their way here are super confused about 100 year old homes being remotely considered heritage. What's the saying - Americans think 100 years is old, Europeans think 100 miles is far?

Kind of. Oslo is typical of the newer cities: There is a bit of older history, like the fortress (started in the late 1200s, but most of the buildings are from the 1600s) and a few churches, but most of the houses are from the economic boom in 1880-1890, the more publicly supported expansion in 1910-1940 and the 1950-1980-ish suburbs. The 1880-1920 period gave us lots and lots of classical looking brick and mortar buildings, and then from the 1920s modernism started taking over without really changing the core shape of the buildings. These are all protected, though not super intensely. The post WW2 buildings are mostly "modern" - practical, cheap concrete elements, not much effort spent on looks. Those are not protected by default.

On the other hand there are towns in Norway full of wooden houses from the 1600s and 1700s, and a random 1924 building there may not get a lot of attention.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I don't hate it; fix the tile dimensions and I'd blearily make coffee and tea there of a morning. What am I missing?

Something about the colouring just makes me feel like I'm not in someone's home, but instead in some sort of corporate setup, like the office kitchen. And the floor tiles are way too close in colour to the cabinets, one of them should be changed to have more contrast towards the other, and then you've got the disaster of the blue-yellow tiles mixed with that blue (wallpaper?) opposite them.

In addition that corner we can see makes the kitchen feel a bit cramped, which would usually prompt light colours for a feeling of space, but all these dark colours makes it feel like, despite a ceiling that appears to be at normal height, like I'm in a ship's galley.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I don't hate it; fix the tile dimensions and I'd blearily make coffee and tea there of a morning. What am I missing?

I don't hate it either, it just gives me crazy vibes. Like, I expect the house to have a statue of Bigfoot made of car parts, y'know.

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009

Only some Vault-Tech logos and painting the insides of those cabinets dark can salvage that backsplash.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rascar Capac posted:

Maybe not: the way Europe's population exploded in the 19th and 20th centuries means that a lot of houses are pretty recent. Around UK cities and suburbs you'll see a lot of houses that are 1880s-1930s, and then there are a bunch of 1950s-1960s developments.

Also extensive bombing in Europe during the 20th century probably destroyed a lot of poo poo too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rascar Capac posted:

Maybe not: the way Europe's population exploded in the 19th and 20th centuries means that a lot of houses are pretty recent. Around UK cities and suburbs you'll see a lot of houses that are 1880s-1930s, and then there are a bunch of 1950s-1960s developments.

Besides, there are large chunks of Europe that aren't older than 1945.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't hate it either, it just gives me crazy vibes. Like, I expect the house to have a statue of Bigfoot made of car parts, y'know.

The hominid or the monster truck?

Edit:

wesleywillis posted:

Also extensive bombing in Europe during the 20th century probably destroyed a lot of poo poo too.
Damnit!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Combination of exploding the population and the population exploding.

Every German city I have been to has the same story for all their medieval churches and palaces. Built 800 years ago, burned down in such and such war 600 years ago, rebuilt, burned down in some other war, rebuilt, and then the entire city was turned into a moonscape in 1945. Timeline for the most recent rebuild depends on whether the city had the good fortune to end up in West Germany or not.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cat Hatter posted:

The hominid or the monster truck?

Whichever has the better rear end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baronjutter posted:

This picture is a perfect depiction of what most old houses are like. There's no amazing historic charm and bygone craftsmanship, it's just really run down and lovely and it takes a ton of work and money to renovate anything into being at all decent. So often this is the sort of stuff we're fighting to preserve.

I think most of the reverence for older construction can be attributed to the tendency of older construction techniques and materials to fail more gracefully and be fairly readily repaired to nearly-new operation. The proliferation of engineered wood products like particleboard and adoption of various construction adhesives/sealants in new stuff means things tend to enter an unstoppable death spiral when damaged.

If you are willing to spend the money you can absolutely get modern construction which exceeds the quality of older construction, but "cheap" has gotten cheaper.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Shifty Pony posted:

I think most of the reverence for older construction can be attributed to the tendency of older construction techniques and materials to fail more gracefully and be fairly readily repaired to nearly-new operation. The proliferation of engineered wood products like particleboard and adoption of various construction adhesives/sealants in new stuff means things tend to enter an unstoppable death spiral when damaged.

If you are willing to spend the money you can absolutely get modern construction which exceeds the quality of older construction, but "cheap" has gotten cheaper.

Also: old stuff that has survived to the present was well-built in the first place. There was probably plenty of cheap crappy construction in the past, but it didn't survive so we don't think about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wheatpuppy posted:

Also: old stuff that has survived to the present was well-built in the first place. There was probably plenty of cheap crappy construction in the past, but it didn't survive so we don't think about it.

That's survivorship bias - the thing that makes us say "they don't build them like they used to". The truth is, just like now, some things were built to last, others weren't, but only the stuff that was built to last is, obviously, still there, leading to a false perception.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my house is a 1915 special. i love the original builtins and wainscotting and the crystal doorknobs and the brass heat registers.

its your house if you like it who cares.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Darchangel posted:

That's survivorship bias - the thing that makes us say "they don't build them like they used to". The truth is, just like now, some things were built to last, others weren't, but only the stuff that was built to last is, obviously, still there, leading to a false perception.

There's also the factor that the best bits of land, on solid ground, out of the flood plains, close in to the walkable center of a city, tend to be the oldest. Building up lower quality land like floodplains and landfill tends to come later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

my house is a 1915 special. i love the original builtins and wainscotting and the crystal doorknobs and the brass heat registers.

its your house if you like it who cares.

It's true. My in-laws were appalled at our 'first' (and current) house - with the plaster walls, arched doorways, creaky unfinished wood floors - built by the lowest bidders on a WPA project.

"it's an OK starter house" Woof.

But they grew up in shabby old apartments in Buffalo in the 30s and 40s - when this house was new. They wanted Levitt-style: new rancher, smooth drywalled surfaces, modern appliances, lots of light. After 1954, They never lived in anything that wasn't brand-new & they were the first owners.

Old houses reminded them of being poor kids in the Depression.

I grew up in a number of ages & styles: born into a house built in 1912, half of an enormous, 3-story twin with a gambrel roof. Lived five years in a Swiss house of concrete & brick, very brutalist; then a couple years in a really old house (for Americans) in the south of France, built in the 1740s. Loved all of them.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

This picture is a perfect depiction of what most old houses are like. There's no amazing historic charm and bygone craftsmanship, it's just really run down and lovely and it takes a ton of work and money to renovate anything into being at all decent. So often this is the sort of stuff we're fighting to preserve.

A bathroom like this was done in a renovation from 1970 at the latest, so do whatever you want to it. I wouldn't replace the window if it's original wood, but I'm not really interested in having that argument again.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those bath tubs were the builder grade standard from the early 1950s and into the 70's. They win on capacity, but are incredibly heavy, were not installed on subfloors, do rust, and are missing the wall overlap feature that's standard on modern tubs. You can still buy a cast iron tub, but it's stupid expensive compared to plastic and pressed sheet metal alternatives.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Those bath tubs were the builder grade standard from the early 1950s and into the 70's. They win on capacity, but are incredibly heavy, were not installed on subfloors, do rust, and are missing the wall overlap feature that's standard on modern tubs. You can still buy a cast iron tub, but it's stupid expensive compared to plastic and pressed sheet metal alternatives.

Some of those pieces might be older than 1970, but a "hundred year old home" is from the 1920s, and that's not a 1920s bathroom. Except perhaps in the dimensions of the room.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Danhenge posted:

Some of those pieces might be older than 1970, but a "hundred year old home" is from the 1920s, and that's not a 1920s bathroom. Except perhaps in the dimensions of the room.

That looks like a 1940-50s construction house, likely a twin and most definitely a northern state. Or remodeled in that time frame. More houses were built in the post war construction boom than ever before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hitler had bad taste in bathtubs. Don’t be like Hitler.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PainterofCrap posted:

They wanted Levitt-style: new rancher, smooth drywalled surfaces, modern appliances, lots of light. After 1954, They never lived in anything that wasn't brand-new & they were the first owners.

My dad is like this. We bought a new house when I was a kid and ever since he's only ever bought new (and bigger). Now he lives in a giant house in rural DC suburbs (Virginia) and has nobody in it but him and my mom.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

If I remember right, that bathroom is "Emerald City from Wizard of Oz" green.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

There's one thing I've always wondered about that photo - did Lee Miller prop up a hiter photo on the tub so that everyone who saw the picture knew it was hiter's bathtub, or did hitler just have a picture of himself in his bathroom?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter posted:

If I remember right, that bathroom is "Emerald City from Wizard of Oz" green.

It’s green in colorized versions of that photograph and in the recreation led by Annie Leibovitz last year.

I don’t know what the source for that is.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 28, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Wow. Hitler... DM me

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

It’s green in colorized versions of that photograph and in the recreation led by Annie Leibovitz last year.

I don’t know what the source for that is.

I never realized until now that the Wizard of Oz is older than that photo. Those two dates were occupying completely different parts of my brain.

I hope someone who was there advised whoever colorized that photo and they didn't just go full Ted Turner.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Platystemon posted:

All this time I thought hitler was a man

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Hitler was a proud woman of color :mad:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It was prophesied that not by the hand of a man would Hitler fall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

(The rest of the sequence answers “what’s with Hitler’s portrait?” in part. Miller and/or Scherman moved it between shots.)

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 28, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That picture was also taken the same day Hitler blew his own brains out lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Armacham posted:

That picture was also taken the same day Hitler blew his own brains out lol

What a weird coincidence, I don't think they knew immediately.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I hate strangers in my bathroom too, but Hitler's reaction was a little extreme.

Edit: OK, it turns out Hitler had a history of extreme reactions.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Should have just let him into art school

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

What a weird coincidence, I don't think they knew immediately.

They didn’t know on the thirtieth, but they were still living in Hitler’s apartment when the news reached them.

Then they moved on and crashed at Eva’s place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Armacham posted:

Parallel universe where Dali and Hitler bond over art, instead of Dali just being really into fascism

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Armacham posted:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wikipedia posted:

The American Nazi Party put the book on its recommended reading list, despite the satirical intent of the work.[7] In Spinrad's own words:

To make drat sure that even the historically naive and entirely unselfaware reader got the point, I appended a phony critical analysis of Lord of the Swastika, in which the psychopathology of Hitler's saga was spelled out by a tendentious pedant in words of one syllable. Almost everyone got the point... And yet one review appeared in a fanzine that really gave me pause. "This is a rousing adventure story and I really enjoyed it," the gist of it went. "Why did Spinrad have to spoil the fun with all this muck about Hitler?"[4]

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sorry, unscheduled detour, this is now the Crapper Construction thread

https://i.imgur.com/OoGYyws.mp4

Thank you, you may now return to your regular content.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bad Munki posted:

Sorry, unscheduled detour, this is now the Crapper Construction thread

https://i.imgur.com/OoGYyws.mp4

Thank you, you may now return to your regular content.

Going to the toilet while drunk and accidentally pressing the epilepsy button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

Going to the toilet while drunk and accidentally pressing the epilepsy button

Imagining the paramedics looking around for how to turn that off as I'm dead in my own vomit on the floor.