Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Zereth posted:

So looking at that thole they basically didn't have a foundation at all?

... wait how do you get in? Is the door on the cliff side of the box?

I think the door is behind the ladder there. It's clearer on the second pic (in the first pic it looks like there are rungs in front of it but they're actually just attaching to the structure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

coldpudding posted:

This sparked an old memory, I got dragged along to watch my sister perform in a junior ballet show and I got assigned a seat behind a big pillar.:yayclod:
Lucky I had zero interest in watching the show anyway with 80% of the view blocked.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I'm having a hard time imagining this happening (assuming a guardrail is installed).

As someone with larger feet that actually looks like I could walk up those stairs without having to walk on my forefoot.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

MrAmazing posted:

There is at least one trail system in Jasper national park in Canada where the campground toilets are just rows of seats about 3 feet apart over very large buckets (that I assume they fly out).

No walls or anything resembling privacy or shelter from the elements, but beautiful views of storms blowing in over the Rocky Mountains while you poop.

Backcountry campsites around here have "thunderboxes" which are essentially the same thing. No bucket though, just a hole. I assume once it fills up they dig a new hole.

I prefer them to outhouses, smells don't collect as much when there's no structure around it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

MrAmazing posted:

Where is here? In my experience you only need to poo poo in 50 degrees and sideways rain once to want a roof. I might just be old and soft though…

Ontario. I camp a lot but so far I've been able to avoid pooping in nasty weather. If it felt like the weekend wss trending that way I might put a tarp up over it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Wow happy three year anniversary to this tweet

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1638895184883912704?s=20

It's literally impossible to know how these tiles will line up.

That's pretty cool.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Let's not overlook whatever's going on here

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
When we moved into our house the dryer didn't dry at all. Not only was it clogged with lint, but the exhaust duct was the wrong kind that had a plastic lining which came off and clogged everything up into a gaint mess. I don't know what the PO was doing to dry their clothes, hanging them maybe?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Don't kink shame.

:lol:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

bobua posted:

I don't think the spin is to prevent settings, but for mixing. As far as I understand it, the formula is set based partially on the drive time, tossed in and mixed under way.

I can't imaging in spins fast enough to actually run concrete up one side. I'd bet that sort of imbalance is more of a problem with something more viscous like plane old water. Concrete in liquid form is gonna stay at the bottom, where as a slight turn or incline is gonna have water really out of balance.

This post is so confusing. Water is more viscous than concrete?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Thats definitely a thing in Toronto and area. More often these days people are digging down to get more space especially on small lots in the middle of the city.
Big lots too. A "modestly" sized house up top but 2, 3, and sometimes 4 level basements.

Huh, I've never heard of this, of course I wasn't looking at houses in that price range

There's a lot of people digging their basements down for regular sized humans since a lot of homes built in the early 20th century here were apparently made for hobbits. I looked at so many houses where my head would hit the ceiling in the basement.

In my old neighborhood there was a lot that was just a hole in the ground. Turns out it was an underpinning job gone wrong, the house collapsed and had to be demolished. Don't cheap out on contractors I guess.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I also like that the toilet will be in front of a floor to ceiling window

The op says the window is being removed

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I had an apartment once where the ceiling in the bathroom started getting moldy. When the landlady brought in someone to replace it, it turned out the ceiling fan was just venting into the ceiling.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Crappy Construction: Random swastikas of miscellaneous pipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

The trend of putting them in cars is so loving irritating. I would like to keep my eyes on the drat road while fiddling with the A/C thanks