Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

quote:

Now as much as we love the look of this room, this is where we have the biggest regrets... In fact, we messed up big time on the shower...so much so that we will be slightly redoing it in the next month or two. Our problem is that in a normal house, you can do an open glass shower like we did because your ceiling is usually a foot or two above the glass, keeping the heat in. However what I didn't account for was the fact that we have 20 ft. ceilings in there and so all the warm air is immediately sucked up, leaving you pretty cold. So we will be adding a second shower head... and adding hand held sprayers and possibly a few body sprayers. We will only have to tear out a channel of tile to add the plumbing and then repair that, so it won't be TOO costly or time-consuming, but still a bummer for sure!

So I guess their fix is to heat the whole room with the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ashcans posted:

It's super weird that the realtor decided to take all those pictures with a sepia filter on.

....oh.

It's like they told their interior decorator "I want to live in a well-lit colon."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Only the finest to watch SD content stretched to 16:9.

Did they have Bobby Sands come in to paint those walls?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

there wolf posted:

Modern track housing has absolutely embraced the patchwork look of mcmansions. Some people get more hung up on a giant house obviously built cheap, and other people get hung up on mismatched windows, multiple facades, and insensible roof lines.

I feel that it worked the other way around. McMansions are just what happens when tract homes get acromegaly.

All of the features that make McMansions ugly were present in one form or another in crappy 1970s split levels, just less exaggerated.

Actually, maybe tract homes have one advantage. Since they were designed to be built quickly, they usually skip the non-euclidian room geometry problem that McMansions stumble into.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That house looks like it was built by someone whose one goal in life was to live in a 1985 era Holiday Inn Holidome.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Adding windows onto garages so that they look like living space from outside has been a thing for the past few years.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That's the bathroom in room 237 from The Shining.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

terrenblade posted:

Is there a good construction thread? I like this.

Kubrick had an eye for design.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

GotLag posted:

I think that might just be a weird US thing. Here I've only ever heard # called "hash"

Note that the name hashtag comes from this, not the other way around as some whippersnappers apparently believe.

We usually call in a "pound sign" or "hash" in the US. You only hear octatherp in discussions about trivia or from people who are really serious about making interrobangs a thing.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nevets posted:

I always assumed to 'trick someone out' came from 'turning tricks', huh.

You may be thinking of "turned out".

Prostitutes are turned out. Cars are tricked out.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What is keeping it from rolling down the hill it's on and why do I assume it's three loose bricks and a scrap 2x4 wedged into the dirt?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Plastik posted:

I, too, am nearly 300 pounds.

He might just really hate those ladders.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Luneshot posted:

I’ve seen trees grow around and incorporate a barbed wire fence, but not something as big as an electrical box.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Every time I see this pic quoted I get sympathetic pains in my ankles.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

SA-Anon posted:

This is actually probably a hold over of one of those.....(can't remember what they were called) houses from the 1950s and1960s.

There wasa time when folks would basically build a basement portion of a house live down there.
Then, so many years later, add the "first floor".

The plus side is, since it is basically 2/3rds buried, it is relatively energy efficient.

I saw people doing this back in the 80s, too. They built and roofed the basement and then built the house part after they saved enough money.

I think it's just something that happened when land was cheap but home constuction loans were expensive.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

If I understand correctly the middle part of that pizza apartment is not part of the apartment, it's the hallway outside the apartment.

Come to think of it - how do you get into the pizza apartment? There are no stairs or elevator that I can see.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Don’t forget to visit the gift shop

It looks more like a memorial to the home owner's victims.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

My wife sent me this one. Try and guess the twist.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...zXDM0cIs5sgNkwI

Oh surely you've seen a witch window bef... oh wait. Nevermind.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I know the skit.. Just failing to understand the high toilet.

The Man on the High Toilet is an alt-history novel where germany and japan won the war and the USA is split between toilets with poop shelves and high-tech bidets.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I keep trying to read the floor. Is this what dyslexia feels like?

I want to write a short story about the day the owner of that house woke up and found that he could Read The Floor and what arcane knowledge he received from it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I saw this pool and thought of you, thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKiWypDro8&t=137s

There are more shots of its structure near the end.

I wonder what it was they had to blur out at 6:00.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Whoever started the trend of sliding/barn doors on hotel room bathrooms can rot in hell forever IMO

I stayed at a hotel once that had both a barn door for the bathroom and also little windows between the bathroom and bedroom that had perfect views of both the toilet and the shower and no way to curtain them off.

Whoever designs hotel rooms has a burning hatred for the sorts of people who stay in hotels.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Check out the tilework in my new house! :cry:

Just think about how cathartic it will be to take a hammer to all that.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Spotted in Vancouver real estate. That's a $700K, 1,081 sqft house right there.

Cheap!

Here's a $785K 676 sqft house in San Diego.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1230-Monroe-Ave-San-Diego-CA-92116/16954103_zpid/

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jows posted:

What is up with that basement? Is it even a basement, or like a lower outdoor level?
And surely it rains sometimes there - is a little hutch over the W/D sufficient?

The house is sorta pushed out over a hillside and I think the basement is just the area under the overhang. If the price didn't grab all the attention, being suspended over a canyon filled with dry brush and eucalyptus trees in a drought prone part of the country would be a good crappy construction post in itself.

As for the laundry, It's a relatively common set up in older homes in San Diego, so I guess it works well enough. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with it personally, though.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

smax posted:

We bought a house a couple months ago, it was full of poor decisions by the PO, as well as a few other things we wanted to fix. One of the lower priority things we wanted to fix was the main lighting in the kitchen- it was a boxed-in 4’ fluorescent fixture which just didn’t look too good. This weekend, it started flickering, then let out an almost comical BZZRT, so I figured the ballast had given out.

I managed to get the plastic cover/diffuser out of the way (barely), and tried to take the ballast cover out. The trim pieces on the box stuck inward enough that you physically couldn’t remove the metal cover. Great. Before tearing the thing apart, I decided to try swapping a bulb to see if the last bulb just gave out. Same problem, not enough room to remove a light bulb even. Put the bulbs back into the sockets and looked at the trim/box around the light. No obvious screws/fasteners anywhere.

Ended up taking a hammer to the trim around the light fixture. Turns out that the box was nailed together, then glued to the drywall on the ceiling, then sealed all around with caulk. There was no way to gracefully pull any of it down, so now I have a rectangle of drywall that’s torn off down to the paper around where the stupid light was.

We replaced it with a decent-looking LED light, but I’ll need to get some drywall guys/painters in to fix the whole mess now.

How does someone break out a caulking gun to work on the ceiling and not realize that they're doing something terribly wrong?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dareon posted:

Well now I want to see the blueprints. Is every unit like that, or is that the spear closet that was left over from the more luxurious apartments on either side?

I'll bet it's an old house that was subdivided into apartments and that every single unit in the building is like that or worse.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Motronic posted:

I just looked up the pH of the common stuff I see around here, Ecolab Ultraklene. It's 13.5. THIRTEEN POINT FIVE. That's more alkaline than straight ammonia and any oven cleaner you'll find.

That's not just more alkaline than ammonia, that's stronger than lye.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

If I personally were having company over, I would tidy up.

If my landlord were trooping people through my rental apartment so that they could sell it off and kick me out, I might go out and buy some sex toys to display specifically for the occaison.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well sure, cantilevers are a thing that exist, but the deck seems to be just bolted to the wall and I'm guessing the wall is made out of popsicle sticks, gum arabic, and plaster.

e: gently caress it, I don't even see any bolts, it's probably Elmered to the plaster.

I wish I had the art skills to make a picture of Frank Lloyd Wright doing the Sickos "Yes.. YES!" thing to that deck.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I would defend this only if the house were on a steep hill and the pitch of the roofline matched the slope of the hill.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Where's the water gonna go?

It'll get soaked up by the chipboard kitchen cabinet.

Bing-bong so simple.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Grover was also a mod and kept probing people that gave him poo poo about the house.

It wasn't just Grover.

The house kicked off a whole "mod sass" panic that led to people getting probed all over the forum for discussing the house - even up to probing people who posted gifs of Grover the muppet.

The reaction is the biggest reason it's an internet legend and not an obscure bit of SA trivia.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

This couldn't be a case where the exterior of a building was protected, could it? Probably not, since it looks very nouveau riche.

I know there's a Microsoft building in Edinburgh which had a protected exterior so they just gutted the whole thing and built a smaller officr building inside it.

It has the feeling of a protected facade that got torn down by the developer who was then ordered to reconstruct it even though the building that replaced it was completed.

I had a similar, but much smaller scale, thing happen in my neighborhood. A house flipper bought a house that had some historic preservation restrictions, tore out a many of the protected features and tried to defend themselves with a "you can't unring a bell!" defense. It didn't work and they had to spend a fortune re-renovating the house to put it back in its original state.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Randomly did a google search for "nice toilets"

Click for source

That site has two piece, one piece, and materials include ceramic, porcelain, and...plastic/acrylic :raise:.

A shitter that can double as a Star Citizen ship model.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That's basicaly how limousines are made.

You take a car, cut it in half, and weld some more car in between.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

slurm posted:

Wonky perspective architectural drawing masquerading as a painting and presented without comment is 100% going to be a Hitler.

Hitler was the original AI art bot.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Orvin posted:

They forgot to install a water feature in the large stagnant reflecting pool that gets no maintenance. So it gets covered in leaves and/or blossoms that make people mistake it for regular ground.

It's also important to know that the bike paths in the Netherlands are that exact same color.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

Also, down the street from me, there's an electric scooter parking spot on the street. Right in front of the fire hydrant.

It's easier to swat some scooters out of the way of a hose than it is to move a parked car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

First of May posted:

Personal funicular.

The make those! But I think the ones in the video have a better reason for existing than those houses have for looking like poorly planned Cities: Skylines zoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkoqppoFr8