Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or gets wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Clark Brothers: the home contractors with a humiliation fetish™️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The knife slots take up more room than the block did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The caption I saw was some aluminum siding blew loose in high winds and contacted a power line.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The crappy construction is they built the patio slightly (60+ feet) too low, so there's a bit of a bump going back in. Measure twice, cut once.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I cannot stand this woman and I desperately hope her requests are denied.

"If you're watching this, the ball... *picks up oversized baseball* is back in your court!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Touchscreens can be a prefab component you slap in there and also appeal to consumers as being fancy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My house is 100 years old too, the doors are original and the problem with them isn't the doors, it's that the house has shifted and settled so much that the frames are non rectangular parallelograms.

edit only one of them doesn't latch, but that's probably because of the 100 years of layers of paint that I'm afraid to sand down due to probable lead

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You got April fooled, Wesley!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jorath posted:

Is the stove sloped??

I think that's an artifact of the extremely wide angle lens they took the photo with.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We just did some moderate work in the bathroom (replace the tile and shower system, patch a big hole in the wall) and that stayed on budget but the tile guy took about 3x as long to complete it. It turned out the existing walls were just built on top of the older (still tiled) walls, so demo took significantly longer and also because this rear end in a top hat was only working like 3 hours a day and just randomly took a couple days off without telling us. Also he put the tiles on one wall like 6° off level and it looked loving insane so he had to redo that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The rooflines also seem McMansion-style complicated and I suspect architects don't do a lot of joint detail drawings for them.

A lot of McMansions aren't designed by architects, they're designed by a home designer, general contractor, or interior decorator because the software is relatively easy to use and then you can just put whatever idiotic rooms in whatever idiotic shape you want without worrying that the 20 rooflines don't make sense and one wall is just a giant flat sheet of siding with a dozen windows all different sizes slapped on all haphazard.

There's a developer down the street from me that tore down two nice historic houses to build a dumb box of dark grey siding, and then another mirror image of the same house. One was for him and one was for some other family with no taste. They planted one tree on each property, and for each it's directly under their power lines.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mine's mounted underneath.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kid sinister posted:

Where's the insulation?

Not necessary, those are heat retention brackets. Anyway, this fool got it all wrong because there isn't a window to fall through if you trip coming down the stairs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hope they were an ISA certified arborist.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Computer viking posted:

a sailboat engine,

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure even before sitcoms and movies made 'architect' the stock cool job, the field has been dominated with egomaniacal failkids who combine the worst of engineer brain with modern artist and actively loathe the idea of their buildings having people in them for any purpose but to admire them.

The architects I've known have all been alright, like most professional media-type artists I've known such as illustrators. the problem I've encountered is that most of the people designing houses around here aren't architects, they're "designers" who can use the software but have no taste.