Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh my god that blog is horrendous. I am impressed by how much poo poo he and his friends have dealt with themselves, but it just keeps coming. And he has $10,000 in repairs on his credit cards.

At this point he has to be praying that someone will see his story and set fire to the place for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's actually worse than that, because many people who go looking for a house don't realize that there is a difference between a buyer's agent and a seller's agent; they might see a house listing and contact the seller, or walk into a realty office and ask about a property - they think that because they are talking to this person about this property, this is 'my realtor', even though that person is actually a seller's agent who has no obligation at all to look after their interests. Realtors, of course, won't do anything to inform people about this or to dispel any misconception, because why would you tell a mark that you're gunning for him?

I had to go to a city-run educational course to have that difference clearly explained to me, and apparently tons of people get screwed because they don't have a clear idea who the agent is really representing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Looking at it they could have placed the toilet where the shower is with the bowl pointing towards the door, moved the shower to the middle and have curtains on both sides, and put the sink where the toilet is. Cramped as hell and likely violating several building codes but it kinda might work. Or even not have a curtain between the shower and toilet, put the bowl lid down, and have a shower seat.

My grandmother has a weird bathroom not unlike this. There isn't an actual shower stall, there is just a showerhead coming off the wall, and the entire floor is sealed and sloped toward a floor drain in the middle. The toilet is positioned directly under the shower so you could basically sit on it while showering, and there is a curved shower curtain that lets you screen off the shower area from the sink/medicine cabinet so those don't get totally soaked.

I have no idea why it's like that - I assume that it's related to the house being very old and possibly the bathroom being some sort of hacked-together conversion over the years. My sister has a house that was originally built in the 1800s, and the bathroom was originally housed in a weird closet next to the back door (so you have to leave the house to get to it). When someone eventually installed an indoor bathroom, they ended up converting the bedroom above the kitchen, leading to a comically large bathroom compared to the rest of the house.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's possible that room was converted for my grandfather to use, I guess, although it's been like that for as long as I can remember (20+ years). I guess he would have been in his 60s when I was born though, so it's still possible.

cobalt impurity posted:

The only issue is you'd need to keep your toilet paper in a bread box or something but I mean you already have some kind of rig to hold your beer while you shampoo so it shouldn't be too complicated to set up.

Who needs toilet paper? Just make the showerhead one of those handheld ones that can clip to the wall, and it can double as a bidet!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I rather like the looks of this - is that actual human-size, or a varmint child/pet bath?

They are full-sized. It isn't obvious in that photo, but there is usually a seat on one side of tub so you are sitting down in your bath. They are usually pitched to people with mobility issues who would struggle to get in and out of a regular bath, but may also not be able to stand in a shower.

My grandmother (not the one with the wet room, the other one) got one installed because is pretty wobbly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Aoi-chan posted:

True story: once I was putting up some storm windows and needed to shrink the plastic, and my dad told me Harbor Freight had a heat gun on sale for like $20 and I went and looked at it and was like cool gonna buy it and then remembered I had a hair dryer and it actually has things like electrical protections built in to it and stuff and I laughed and went home.

Seriously, there's just some things I can't bring myself to do.. They stay in business so I guess their power tools don't actively kill people.

I have bought a number of cheap tools from HF, and the quality is obviously not great but it's fine if you need something uncomplicated for a specific project or if you don't actually do a lot of work. Things like hammers, rasps, clamps, etc. I bought a throatless shear from them as well and it served surprisingly well cutting sheet metal for a few years before I gave it away. I suspect that it couldn't have handled thicker metals like a brand-name would have, but for hacking up some 18/20g it was great and probably a fifth of the price.

I would definitely think hard before getting anything that plugged in though. I'm sure a bunch of the stuff is fine, but no one wants to be the unlucky guy who gets a drill that comes apart at full speed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There is a house by us that has just built a back deck, and the footing looks suspicious as hell. They have sunk some concrete posts/bases into the ground, but the actual beams look like they are just sitting on top of the concrete - aren't they supposed to be sunk into it or held in place with a brace or a metal sheathing or something? This past weekend they seem to have sprayed that expanding foam around the joint, which is part of what makes me wonder what the hell they're doing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I walk past the place on the way to the local playground with my kids, so maybe next time I'll stop to snap a couple pictures for this thread. I don't know anything about construction so maybe it is all fine and up to code, but it looks pretty wonky.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

This is why everyone should just own a level, it's almost impossible to gently caress up even if you are someone who can't work out how to measure anything.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Man, that is so loving bizarre. I stand by the recommendation that everyone have a level, because apparently my brain can't be trusted with much on its own.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty sure even UPS has rules on where they'll deliver. 20 miles of unimproved gravel road would probably be pushing it.

Usually what they do is get it to the closest hub, and then pass it over to USPS for the final mile. There have been times that I could not overnight or 2-day a delivery because the endpoint was so isolated that they would need to pass it over to the postal service for the final leg (so they won't guarantee a short timeframe).

I think the post office will deliver pretty much anywhere that has an actual address, but there are limits even then, they're just a lot lower than for the courier companies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Also, it's possible if water stands in there 100% of the time that draining the water will cause structural wood that has been submerged for decades to immediately begin to mold up and rot away at an incredible rate. Archaeologists know that there are three conditions that preserve organic material over time: "dry and stays dry" (think mummies), "frozen and remains frozen" (think mammoths), and "wet and remains wet" (think sunken ships).

Sooo, I would absolutely not drain that pond until an expert engineer has been consulted, and the wood supports for the building have been inspected carefully.

Are you saying that that could be a load-bearing flood? :stare:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think some of it is perception. The realtor is the guy trying to make your dreams come true - he's the one showing you all these great houses and trying to get you in them, and even if you know he's only sort of on your side, he probably has as much enthusiasm for the process as you can muster.

Then you find a place and it's close to your dream and you put in an offer and you are so close you can taste it... and along comes this inspector guy with a frown and a clipboard and he starts poking holes in your dream with talk about dangerous wiring and collapsing foundations and firecodes and your house-buying dream goes down like the house on a sinkhole you were planning to buy. It's not like he made those problems, but it's hard not to resent the messenger.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, the youtube makes him look like a real rear end in a top hat. I don't know why he was smugging off about property values, that is like the doucheiest reason to use. He could have stood there looking concerned and said 'I have seen how terrible and potential dangerous unlicensed work can be, so I don't want it happening to anyone else.'

I mean the people were pulling out asbestos, that's like the number 1 thing you can kick people to safety-panic over. But even if not, it's easy to say 'Look if you get some lovely cowboy wiring, it could burn down your house. It could kill you, it could kill the next owner, it could start a fire that spreads to other houses in the neighborhood.'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

How hard is it to actually line up those sensors across the width of a garage door? I am trying to get a sense for exactly how lazy people are being about this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Man that is super depressing. If it was some sort of Mission Impossible poo poo with angling mirrors or whatever I would understand people getting frustrated and trying to shortcut it to finish the job, but if its that simple and people just don't give a gently caress... :smith:

I don't know why I should be remotely surprised given everything else in this thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know about that, but there was a Sierra game where your Clapmaster breaks and leaves a prong in the socket, and you have to find a safe way to remove the broken prong without killing yourself in the process.

Everything I need to know about outlet safety I learned from Roger Wilco.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not mine, but gently caress shoveling this.

I hope that is somewhere that has never heard of winter, because the moment ice touches that you are going to die.

Actually, is that driveway even functional? It's so steep it looks like a lot of cars wouldn't even be able to get up it because the slope would hit their bumper before their wheels ever touched it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I still can't believe you let us down like that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In the reverse of this situation, my sister owns a house that originally just had an outdoor toilet - you'd walk out the back door and there is a little outdoor room with a toilet and sink. At some point in the house's history someone (understandably) decided this wasn't tolerable, and added an indoor bathroom. The problem is that the only room that could be readily converted was the bedroom over the kitchen (I am assuming this made it easier to run water and drains?) The result is an enormous bathroom that is the same size as the bedrooms - when my sister was renovating the rest of the house, she was able to set up a twin bed in the bathroom and sleep in there.

It's not a big house, so that excess space is kind of painful in some ways, but I have no idea what you would do about it without pulling out walls and redoing the entire layout.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Good morning thread. See if you can spot the problem in this kitchen!

(courtesy imgur)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Litterbox beside the oven, classy.

Maybe it was in the cabinet and just ended up there when it fell.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No, it's a collapsed balcony - the doors are where it used to be, and you can actually see the railings landed on the balcony below it. To be fair I am not sure that it was crappy construction, that little balcony somehow had 13 people on it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that balcony was intended for like 3 people to fit on, and they were like 'well you know, people are nuts' and then built it to support 10 just in case, and now someone is holding their head in their hands wondering how the hell 13 people got onto that thing and kicking themselves for not building to 5x capacity.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Guess that shows me!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The only thing I can tell you is that it probably isn't 400lbs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my experience IKEA tends to be write-once furniture. It doesn't transport in any way whatsoever, but boy howdy you can put it up and leave it in one part of the house forever.

Depends a lot on what you get. We have this island and it has handled moves just fine, including one across the country and three within the city. It's nothing special, but it's solid.

A lot of people complain about IKEA instructions and assembly but it all seems fine to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Deck collapse on rental house in Emerald Isle, NC during a family photo

After reading this thread I don't ever want to be on a deck with more than 2 people on it for any reason, ever, unless I built and inspected the deck myself.

I am a terrible person for hoping that the family photo captured them all at the moment of collapse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

To be fair when I lived in the third world the water flow was total poo poo, so getting a cup of water every ten seconds doesn't seem bad. There were days when the pressure was so bad it could not actually get up the shower, so you'd trickle it out the bath faucet and dump it on yourself with a cup or something anyway. At least it would be warm!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well it sounds like you can probably just wait for it to burn down and then you'll be able to start fresh!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I hope they're going to be load-bearing components, they'll probably be the best part of the deck.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I remember that he was kind of a jerk about it and maybe overly gleeful about seeing them busted (which I understand, but still makes him look kind of petty), but I also seem to recall that they were doing stuff that should really be properly permitted. I don't think it was actually ripping out asbestos, but I think it was something where you need proper removal and disposal and they were just half-assing it all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the issue is that their money is tied up in the house. In order to bulldoze it and build a new one he would need to get a bunch more money from somewhere. He's already stuck with the mortgage on a house that isn't going away just because it's trash. Because he can't pay for a clean start, he has been slowly trickling money into shoring up his nightmare home. He ended up running up $10,000 in credit card debt trying to pay for fixes, which is terrible, but it's not like he could knock down and start over for that either.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I expected that to end with '...and drink it to add roughage to your diet' so that was somehow better.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

StormDrain posted:

And your stove doesn't fit flush against the wall, that's a pet peeve of mine.

Our stove is something like 8 inches from the wall because apparently whoever ran the gas line 80 years ago was a complete moron and had it come up in the middle of the floor rather than at the wall. :argh:

I should really take some pictures of the place because boy howdy there are some goofy things. Nothing catastrophic, just tedious stuff that no one has ever fixed.

The prior tenant did that gluing-rocks-to-the-wall thing, as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Couldn't you just get a flat iron disk to go on a burner so that it would get hot and you could put any pot you wanted on there in a pinch?

Yes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I hate people building to fulfill codes. One of the rules here is apparently that you can't classify something as a bedroom if it doesn't have a closet, so to do this someone basically put a doorframe across one room's corner to create a tiny triangular closet. It's so small its practically useless and just serves to make the room a slightly awkward shape to fit stuff in. We had to buy a wardrobe to actually put stuff in anyway, so I'd much rather they had skipped the effort and left us a corner to put it in. Or actually taken the extra effort to build a real closet.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know if this is a regional difference in language or something, but a pantry is supposed to be a separate room you use for food/kitchen storage. In traditional Boston houses they adjoin the kitchen are somewhere around 4x6 or bigger depending on the layout, and usually have built-in shelving, cupboards, or drawers. When the spaces are renovated they are often used to either expand the kitchen area or to put a washer/dryer in the unit itself because most of the houses are 80-100 years old and weren't built with those in mind, although a lot of people actually want them kept as-is now.

If you can't walk into it, I would just call it a kitchen closet, not a pantry at all. That makes the idea of a 3" one totally insane - my first reaction to that is that (depending on when it was built) it could actually be a built-in ironing closet, which were designed to only be deep enough to hold an upright ironing board.

As for what you put in there: basically everything? It's not about whether you can technically fit a box of pasta or a jar of beans into a shallow cupboard, it's that if you are storing a lot of stuff in bulk you need a good deal of space. We buy things like flour and sugar in 25lb bags and boxes and cans by the dozen, and it's also where we keep things like onions, potatoes, apples, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That particular floorplan is for the second floor of a Boston triple-decker, which are one of the most common housing types here. So it's three units, one to each floor, and there is a front and back staircase connecting all the floors - I think that's a fire safety thing, so that when the first floor sets fire to their stairs everyone upstairs doesn't just get trapped and die up there. The back stairs (coming off the kitchen) would lead down to a back door for the building, there's usually a communal foyer at the bottom of the front stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Any self-respecting goon consumes that much butter on a daily basis.