Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I hate to say it, but that might not be enough.

My friend's parents did a drop ceiling with 2" of space. I honestly have no idea how they got the tiles in, as we couldn't figure out how to get them down to run a temporary network when he was housesitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

To begin with, modern residential sprinklers have an escutcheon (like a trim piece that fits flush with the ceiling) over them that has a fuse that needs to melt off before the head even drops. Then you have an appropriate temperature range glass bulb or fusible link that needs to be up to temperature before the head will open.

For the curious, an example: http://tyco-fire.com/index_link.php?link=TFP443

I was entirely unaware of things like this, which now puts a fire sprinkler system on the list of things I'd like to do to my house at some point in the future. Back in college some people were playing football in the dorm hallway and clipped a sprinkler, taking out two of the three elevators and causing damage to four floors. Between drunk friends, airsoft, my personal tendency to throw things at the walls when angry, etc. I'd never even think of putting an uncovered sprinkler anywhere I wasn't required to by law, but the covered ones look quite appealing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I interpreted the question as being more of "why in the hell do they keep installing crappy old telephone wiring in brand new developments where no previous infrastructure existed?"

I mean isn't the majority of the buildout cost the physical labor, not the transmission media? So why not put fiber down instead of already outdated copper pairs (or soon-to-be-outdated copper coax)?

They don't necessarily need to immediately offer services that can utilize the extra capacity of the fiber, but installing infrastructure that was obsolete before it entered the ground just strikes me as stupid.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I used to live in a house that had a "System:GT" setup with a bunch of pipes running down in to the back yard. I have no idea how good that system is or how well it really worked, but my dad always said it was cheaper to heat/cool that ranch-style house with 3000 square feet and high ceilings than our previous 1600 square foot two story.

This was outside of Toledo, Ohio so nothing special from a weather or geography standpoint.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

canyoneer posted:

Totally safe use of forklifts

Proving that you can get good enough at doing something wrong that it almost looks right.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Slanderer posted:

I'm no expert, but I feel like if you had the same scent pumped through your entire house you'd probably stop smelling it within a few weeks (unless it was overwhelmingly powerful to begin with), just like people who wear way too much perfume/cologne can't really tell because they've been wearing it for so long.

I can say from personal experience that its possible to get so used to a smell that you think its only slight, noticing a bit as you walk in the door, yet others can literally smell it from outside the building.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spog posted:

Have you got a dead body somewhere in your house?

Is there something you want to confess?

Nope, just a lesson learned from some past adventures in hydroponic home gardens. Some of those strains of tomatoes can get really pungent, you know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to see how high voltage "low voltage" actually goes, try stripping phone wire with your teeth when someone calls the line. 90V AC @ 20 Hz is a great substitute for coffee in the morning...

There's still no real danger involved, but it sure stings.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just went downstairs and noticed this. I have absolutely no sane explanation for why what seems to be soot would be there, but I have to imagine this is something I should be concerned about. On a scale of 1 to turn the gas the hell off now how much do I need a new water heater?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dietcokefiend posted:

I'm guessing you got some dusty stuff in that area and the convection draft of the hot pipe is pushing air up that column maybe. Unless it smells burnt it's probably just weird dust buildup.

:aaaaa: :doh:

Yeah, doesn't smell like burnt plastic, that's for sure.

I can't really tell anything from smell myself, but the utility room had been been used for a :350: session today so I think the pieces are coming together. I feel dumb.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dietcokefiend posted:

Wish I could get a thermal photo cause the toilet in hotel I'm staying at in Austin is plumbed incorrectly. Felt oddly warm sitting on the can and when flushed it had the aroma that only poo being cooked can give off. Water feed is actually the hot water tap.

Edit: There is no cold water right now :psyduck:, the sink is hot water and hotter water.

That happened from time to time in the dorm I lived in freshman year. Usually the water was normal, but sometimes the cold lines became hot for reasons beyond my understanding. They never said anything about it and it usually was back to normal within a day. Sure is weird to have a steaming toilet, but drat did that ever make for great showers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How would one even go about finding an inspector who'd do something that detailed? I want to buy the house I'm currently renting and while I'm pretty comfortable in the major stuff after having lived here for a year I'd still love to have something like that for all the non-obvious things that I wouldn't even know how to look for. I know word of mouth is a big thing in that industry but most of my friends rent so I don't have much to go on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My boss' house has two network jack panels on perpendicular walls of a room, within a foot of each other, with a cable connected between the two :confused: He has no idea how it got there or what it does but he doesn't want to mess with it.

I've done this before. There was an extra port in the room next door and the customer didn't want to wait until we could get someone with wire tape or sticks out to do it right, so a nice sized screwdriver through the wall plus some keystone jack panels and a two foot patch cord got them running.

I brought my tools out and did it right the next time I was out there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dragyn posted:

Right, I've done that too as a temporary thing, but that's not what Parallel is talking about, I don't think. There's only one room involved.

Basically this is what I was describing.

1 is where there was existing unused wiring, 3 is where someone wanted a connection installed immediately.

What Parallel described basically fits the view from room B.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'know, honestly I'd totally go for a bathtub setup like that, if it weren't for that a) it'd be utterly and totally against code, and b) in my case it'd mean a protrusion in the wall most of the way up the stairwell.

There's not enough room for a proper bathtub in my house's bathrooms, and that makes me sad.

Totally with you, I think there's a good idea lurking in there somewhere. A bathtub under a flight of stairs maybe. Just needs to be implemented with a bit less vodka and duct tape.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Found this on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/2tbga5/lightfinds_a_way/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Relevant, this was a perfectly smooth, level, and uncracked patio before this last winter. I discovered it yesterday since the snow/ice finally melted away.

Not sure if this is a sign of being badly done or just bad luck with a nasty winter, but it doesn't seem like there's the stone I'd expect to find underneath the concrete so I'm leaning towards the former.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Now I wanna see someone make an exactly 400lb concrete cube so we can carefully examine its dimensions and enter them into evidence.

Technology lets us be lazy:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=400+lbs+%2F+density+of+concrete

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cube+with+a+volume+of+5.82+cubic+feet

A 400 lb cube of average density (presumably dry) concrete, according to wherever Wolfram gets their data, would be slightly under 21.6 inches on each side. There is quite a range listed to density though, it could be halved or doubled from the median and still not be at either extreme.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LiquidCatnip posted:

dammit my urianum won't fit guys you might have caught me in a bit of a fabrication... I'll try to become a better example to others.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4000000+lbs+%2F+density+of+uranium

I don't know, assuming 8 feet floor to ceiling that block of uranium would have only needed to be a bit larger than 20x20 feet. It works well enough as long as by "server room" you meant datacenter and not closet where the servers and mops are. Bump it up to osmium and you cut it down to just over 18x18.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Nice motorcycle anti-theft device, the patio furniture is a nice decoration for it.

If my math is right each of those sections should be enough to secure one and a half motorcycles.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

We can't count your answer unless you show your work.

Dammit, that crap always lost me points in school.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%286.5+feet+*+6.5+feet+*+2.5+inches%29+*+density+of+concrete

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashcans posted:

I hope that is somewhere that has never heard of winter, because the moment ice touches that you are going to die.

Actually, is that driveway even functional? It's so steep it looks like a lot of cars wouldn't even be able to get up it because the slope would hit their bumper before their wheels ever touched it.

I did a bit of digging and found that picture seems to have shown up on the internet around late '06 and really started to spread in early '07. An urban planning forum (warning, MLP theme, presumably as an april fools thing...i hope...) thinks they found the actual location in Fayetteville, AR: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.087662,-94.232312,3a,75y,310.84h,79.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbQHQUFmDIN1EXrvadsGizw!2e0?hl=en

The visible parts of the fronts of the houses look right and the sidewalk seems to have been moved out towards the street by a few feet to help the situation, but the breakover angle in to the garage still looks like it'd be pretty bad for a low-riding car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

I genuinely dislike the lack of natural white light that LEDs have. Have they fixed that or are you still dealing with huge chunks of the spectrum missing?

Just like with CFLs there's a wide range of color temperature choices available. I personally can't tell the difference in light color between the Cree "soft white" (2700K) LEDs and the generic incandescent bulbs that were in the house when I moved in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You can already do a pretty decent job with a Kinect or two.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I always wondered how we occasionally ended up with hot water in the cold water lines in my college dorm. That makes sense, there were a number of older sinks and showers in the building with separate hot/cold controls that assholes probably plugged up from time to time.

drat was that ever weird when some jackass opened the windows in the middle of winter so the bathroom was cold but the toilets were full of hot water.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

They might have just mixed the hot in to keep pipes from freezing.

That would be a reasonable enough explanation, but it happened in the warm months too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kid sinister posted:

No they aren't. 15a plugs can fit in 20a outlets, but 20a plugs can't fit in 15a outlets.
Internally they are in some cases literally the exact same thing with different faceplates. It's cheaper to make one set of internals with T-shaped contacts on both sides and just slap different plastic on the front to determine which variant they are then making four different products.

Enourmo posted:

Then why are they rated differently? Because "gently caress You, pay us more"?
Because the outlet doesn't matter in this case, it's the circuit it's attached to that matters. It's about preventing a 20A load from being easily plugged in to a 15A circuit or a 120v load on a 240v circuit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

So not "mechanically identical".

Yes, I think many/most people get that it's often cheaper to produce fewer SKUs even if those parts are over rated for certain applications. That doesn't make it to code to use a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit nor does it make a 20A plug fit into a 15A receptacle.
The context of that quote is responding to this:

Enourmo posted:

The outlet would burn up/otherwise fail at say 18 amps without tripping the breaker.
and in that context it's entirely correct, the outlet is not going to burn up because it (again, the outlet) is more likely than not entirely capable of handling 20A 240 for its rated lifespan.

The wiring the outlet is attached to is another matter of course, but that's not what the quote was about. No one said anything about code or it being a good idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I guarantee that almost every RV you see is carrying something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-15M-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192JGA8/
and the larger ones probably also have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-PowerGrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUQOGI/

On the plus side in the latter case most RV power distribution systems automatically switch from a 50A mode to a 30A mode when they don't see 240 on the input, but switching to 15/20A mode has been manual on all the ones I've stayed in.

edit: It looks like the one in the quote is basically the boat equivalent of the first one I linked.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 8, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

How did that become a thing? Two different hardware chains here do it.
It's cheap and it makes people happy. It might also encourage some extra browsing if someone's hungry and was otherwise just popping in for something before going to get food.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

The plus side to this approach is that you can conveniently use the tank as a desk upon which to set your phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90uhvXW1KM

I have to admit, at times it hasn't seemed like the worst idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

Crappy construction: putting USB ports in wall outlets.

USB outlets should be at counter/table/desktop level.

Wall outlets can be and often are at a convenient level. I almost put one of those in my kitchen island, but ended up getting one of those six-way outlet splitter things that has two USB ports built in instead. It's a great place to leave my Kindle or charge my phone while watching TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kid sinister posted:

Buy them built into the cable. You would probably want one each of up angle A and down angle A.

Good idea in general, but it looks like the adapter DrBouvenstein posted has a much lower profile than the right angle cables you linked.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Robawesome posted:

oh poo poo how will he ever take the door off it's hinges?

It's not that it's a hard fix, but if that really is an apprentice on his first time he's just handed everyone else he works with something to give him poo poo about for an indefinite amount of time until someone else fucks up in a funnier way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitrox posted:

Could you elaborate as to why they're a bad idea? Thanks

This is a very educational thread.

The wire (25A) is rated for less than the breaker (32A) on the circuit as a whole because the fact that current can flow in from either side effectively makes a parallel circuit that theoretically has double the capacity. If one side is broken or has a higher than expected resistance for whatever reason you can end up flowing more than rated current over one side's cables without tripping the breaker.

Also if a ring is inadvertently connected to two breakers, or if two rings are inadvertently connected, you now have 64A available to a problem without tripping anything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

He outdid himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3bFxdAZsY

Thermite powered kettle.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crotch Fruit posted:

What are the long glass tubes on the rack, are they just really tall glasses or what?

Looks like a beer tube. 3/4 gallon or so of beer with a tap at the bottom. Basically it's a gimmick alternative to pitchers.

e:f;b

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LordSaturn posted:

Is the problem that the padlock thinger is bent so that the switch is inoperable?

Bingo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/4gifjp/they_got_tired_of_the_breaker_tripping_so_they/

According to reddit they were tired of it tripping so they bent the lockout attachment over in an attempt to stop it.

Who needs to solve the problem, just (try to) hide the symptoms!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Well you see it's easier because it's two 200 pound blocks :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7GihJOJ7M