Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

limeicebreakers posted:

I like Rachel a lot, but I don't think she should be redeemed last-minute by some new revelation that Bam will magically kill everyone in the Tower if he reaches the top or something. It's fine for a girl with petty motivations to have those motivations still be petty by the end.

That said, I always disliked people calling her a bitch like that's a failing of her character instead of exactly what SIU is trying to portray. Her bitchiness is what makes her likeable to me.

Rachel's a terrible person but every major character in Tower of God either has authentic and understandable reasons for their behavior in their backstory (even if they're a total psychopath), or has a bunch of hints pointing to a backstory that we just don't know about yet.

I don't think Rachel will ever be "redeemed" in the sense that it's going to turn out she was doing the right thing all along, but I expect that source of her selfishness and manipulative personality will make every bit as much sense as, say, Khun's paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also I genuinely can't remember + can't entirely trust the translation anyways

is Rachel actually an Irregular? or when she took Bam's "spot" did she get the Regular status that was meant to be for him

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sindai posted:

I didn't think it was possible but Evankhell got even cooler.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's been on hiatus for a couple months. berserk readers wait longer than this between chapters and don't even notice anything out of the ordinary :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm game for it if they follow up on it and make it relevant to characters i already care about but less so if we just keep piling poo poo up and never get back to old characters

like my all-time favorite from season 1 was Anaak and i can't remember the last time she even appeared in the comic. or like how Rak is still around but solely as a mascot gimmick and not as part of a rich team dynamic where he was almost as central to the story as Bam and Khun

e: White is a good example of the correct way to do this; he's this remorseless sociopath who was introduced in his own arc, where his selfishness constantly clashed with or was exploited by the established cast and presented problems for them to overcome in ways that reflected their personality. that's great, i love that.

everything turning into a battle manga where a succession of unrelated characters we've never been given a reason to care about fight each other, less so

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 21, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'd probably even like Haratcha if any of this had been delivered organically and not as a huge third-person exposition dump

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah this chapter gives me a better idea of what he's going for, but I still wish it weren't basically just "random guy who dies this episode stares into the camera and explains the theme to you."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The junk collector posted:

Hopefully they can all die soon and we'll get to the new adventures of Rak and Anaak

:yeah:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a better / more natural English translation than the Webtoons one? Paid is fine, there have just been some really jarring moments lately where characters in the middle of a pitched emotional battle talk like a walking thesaurus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Is the official translation bad? Last time I looked up fan translations of this they were borderline unreadable.

most of the time it's fine but lately it's been noticeably stilted. it's comprehensible, i've seen much worse, but it's not up to the standards of, like, previous seasons of the same comic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Editing/proofing seems better this week (I'd say "translation" but I guess technically I can't really judge that part.) Saw tons of people complaining in the comments for 95 and 96, maybe they took notice?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i miss when this series was about personal drama between a relatively small core cast. this isn't necessarily incompatible with big DBZ-style energy blast battles but it is incompatible with having a cast of like 500 and introducing new characters to spotlight every single chapter

like looking back at my old posts i used to have a bunch of speculation about why Rachel is such an rear end in a top hat, i got really excited about Khun's backstory as well (which we got a little bit of in season 2 i think, on the island floor?) and the reason it was possible to get invested in those characters was that a) they were given time to breathe, b) we learned about them in a much more organic way, their character reflected in how they fought, how they interacted with the protagonists, and so on, instead of just massive info dumps

the only person who's been getting that kind of attention in s3 is White, who's okay i guess, but he's both a carryover and also not nearly as much fun to hate as Rachel

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 1, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jerkface posted:

i miss anak and endorsi so much :(

i need to reiterate how much i do not care about the intragroup politics of the army

:agreed:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

everything, positive or negative, said about power levels or beam fights or whatever is only obliquely related to quality at best

what matters is how clearly and compellingly what your shown communicates meaning. HxH works because:

a) Togashi abandons any plot contrivance he's lost interest in immediately (something many professional mangaka don't necessarily have the clout to do)

and b) he's meticulous about establishing the personal and narrative stakes for every conflict. it doesn't matter at all if he spends a few pages gushing about some game theory-esque rules dilemma he's come up with or if he just makes up a new power for someone out of loving nowhere, or even that he swaps between the two all the time. what matters is you know exactly what kind of person everyone is, how they feel about each other, and what's going to happen if they win

which isn't to say that all the martial arts mysticism or science fiction stuff means nothing, of course. just that it exists in service to the above. that's why Gon's power is childish but deeply competitive, Hisoka's is just a never-ending series of opportunities to prove how clever he is, Kurapika's is literally a manifestation of him giving his entire life and being over to revenge, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i hope it does spectacularly and we get a professional-grade translation of season 3 in anime form, 'cause i don't see how else it's going to happen :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Really liking this season. I know it makes me a bad ToG fan but my enjoyment of the series is exactly proportional to how many S1 characters are currently involved in the plot.

:same:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I basically stopped reading when the Webtoon translation went to poo poo. Vaguely looking forward to the anime, hopefully it lasts long enough to cover some of the gibberish chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if they're hinting at Anak coming back i might have to start reading this again :v: