Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

More importantly, what happened to ManGator :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, they did translate Byul as Star so maybe Rachel really is talking about stars.

Or else she thinks she's visited by extraterrestrials, who the hell knows.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Finally someone that makes you hate them but isn't actually the complete villain. Rachael is the new Dolores Umbridge for me.

It is always kinda refreshing to encounter characters that are just plain horrible, petty people without plans for world domination or dark pasts or anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

How do you get this conclusion out of that chapter? She doesn't seem to know at all and thinks she is getting away with tricking Koon as far as I can tell.

I'm reading it that way too. She's really petty and doesn't seem to have much foresight.

Meanwhile Koon is evidently playing the long game to get revenge. He's also petty but he has almost nothing but foresight.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Either he's a special irregular, or irregulars are those chosen by the tower itself rather than Headon.

I kind of get the feeling that it's the second one, based on the fact that only irregulars can take tests directly from the floor's guardians. Regulars can only progress by the things set up by Zahard and his companions.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ahahaha the little stories at the end are just great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I think that it has been stated that Enryu, Phantiminium, and Urek Mazino were the only irregulars to enter the Tower between the arrival of Zahard and the 10 Families and Baam/Rachel's arrival.

Unlike Baam and Rachel, though, those three were already killing machines upon entry to the Tower. So this is probably the first chance FUG has had to get real leverage on an Irregular. It took thousands of years for their chance to arrive, and who knows when they'll get another shot at it?

Additionally, it's pretty clear that none of those guys is likely to kill Zahard since it seems a safe bet that if they ever were going to, they already would have. It's definitely safe to say that for Phantiminium, who just showed up, wreaked havoc on Zahard's whole court, then just decided to leave without even attacking Zahard himself, even though the entire everybody there couldn't even try to defend themselves.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

:f5: This comic is going places and then it cliffhangs me.

Goddammit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ahaha, man, Mazino was there solely to devalue the flower. :allears:.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The speed group's translations are just as readable and are wholly lacking in both creepy comments and creepy pictures. It's really all I ask for from translations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh man, this is going somewhere.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's a bit far back and not really touched on because SiU doesn't give out information about just what the gently caress is with Baam very often.

He does it just often and well enough that you know we'll find out eventually while still keeping the mystery interesting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YESSS this is gonna be great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xali posted:

Seriously who's the long-eared girl again? Sorry but I cant for the life of me remember...

She's that information broker that everybody went to in order to be directed towards the God Hand Tower. I'm still not clear on why she went with Baam though.

I can't see it as anything else. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YYYYEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now if only MangaPanda would just stop because seriously.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Remind me, did we know Ran is apparently a Koon, or is that a new piece of information?

I don't think we knew that, aside from looking at him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

As far as Wing Tree goes, he already HAS their attention I think. There's probably no better way to get it than to impress Urek Mazino like Baam did at the end of the Flower of Zygaena arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This is one of those series that seems like it will probably never end. The scale of the plot is just so massive. I don't know if they've stated it outright, but it also seems like people in the world of Tower of God live at least hundreds of years or are immortal or something. They've talked about decades as being a short amount of time to travel up X floors.

Are there any other Korean web-comics that are as good as this and Magician?

Well... Not really, no. However! The Breaker is solid, and its sequel New Waves has picked up recently. I really like God of High School for its fight scenes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

All I can say is yesssss.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I feel like Novick is just plain against the whole turning Baam into an emotionless monster thing.

Like, I think he wants Baam to become the slayer that FUG needs, but would rather whoever becomes the slayer do so because they also dislike Zahard's way of doing things. Not because they were manipulated.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RatHat posted:

Are you mistaking Novick for the high ranker who trained Baam? Novick is one of Koon's teammates that was forced into becoming part of the team.

Yes. Yes I am.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well at least that amounts to a slightly more restful break than the hospital.

Also two weeks from now :f5:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wangnan is competent yeah, he just got screwed at one of the big cruel Tower society roadblock floors until he got lucky enough to tag along with Baam past it.

It's just that Baam is an extremely special individual, especially in fighting power.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, it'd be great to see someone give a high-quality translation - the series is so drat good, it really does deserve a good translation.

Although hey, this is miles above the early fan ones. :lol: Lahel

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have to wonder just how good the plan is if it depends on an irregular being bound by rules that were made in the Tower, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm not really sure! It could be none, or it could be that since irregulars are somehow fundamentally different from anyone the scientists have data on that Baam simply won't respond as expected.

I do suspect that however they intend to control him involves shinsoo somehow and we know that as an irregular Baam is abnormally good at controlling it. His unconscious control seems to be more powerful than his conscious control as well - see his ease of moving through the tank on Headon's floor and being totally unaffected by the projected wall of shinsoo on the Floor of Test for examples.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Panzerschwein posted:

This is how I interpreted it too.

The thorn is a weapon, and Baam will be it's ignition, just like the girl inside the Black March. So when the thorn is activated you get the attack of an irregular, which should be capable of killing Zahard.

That's pretty much what I think too. I also think that it (at times anyway) seems like irregulars almost obey different laws of physics when inside the Tower than regulars do, so things may not go quite as the scientists expect.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hah, from the first couple pages it looks like I might just be right and trying to put an irregular in the Thorn isn't gonna go quite as the section of FUG that wants to do it plans.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize Rachel was an irregular. I thought that she entered normally and didn't open the door like Baam.

She's some sort of weird double-irregular in that she piggybacked in off of Baam opening the door to the Tower. They both came from the same place after all, she just doesn't possess whatever quality it is that lets irregulars open the door.

I also continue to wonder what the hell Baam is and why he was stuck in what amounted to a prison at the very bottom of the Universe. I think it may be a particularly remarkable characteristic of him that he is going from absolute powerlessness to basically a living god as he climbs the Tower and that this internal journey is part of why the Tower "chose" him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, I get the impression the rankings are pretty accurate. Urek may believe he's the strongest, but that's simply arrogance. SIU's blog posts and other supplementary material imply that Phantaminum is actually massively more powerful than Enryu; Phantaminum is a godlike being made of narrative or something like that, while Enryu is just a very powerful Shinsoo user.

Phantaminum is some very special thing from an older story of SIU's (in the same universe apparently) that he seems to have done a pretty good job of erasing from the Internet since he doesn't like how he did it.

And yeah, Phantaminum is absurdly powerful - it just showed up in Zahard's court, smashed through everyone up to the man himself, then abruptly chose to leave without doing anything to Zahard and has disappeared as far as anyone in the Tower knows.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

KoB posted:

I thought they said that the "top" is just as far as anyone has gotten?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading this too, as well as that the guardians and their tests are vastly, vastly more difficult after the "top" of the tower.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sleepy Owl posted:

To be fair, he lasted longer against Viole than just about anyone. :v:

Also to be fair, even that far into his resigned depressed Viole persona Baam still didn't want to kill people FUG didn't explicitly tell him to so he wasn't trying very hard :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

S02 chapter 87 quick release is up

e: A TRUE LEADER OF THESE TIMES

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 17, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Prince is strongly for comedy because he loving acts like a little kid.

Rak is partly for comedy and partly because SIU finds it extremely difficult to draw him full size all the time. Remember back in the first part when he was either cut off or everyone else was tiny because he's fuckin huge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think Beta mostly just hates. He particularly hates Baam for being special to FUG, who he also hates. If he kills Baam he screws up FUG's plans too so hey, bonus!

e: Basically what I feel is going on in this arc is that there are a lot of people playing this game. Way more than just Baam's friends and FUG, and that's going to be important.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Decus posted:

The most important thing in this chapter was more confirmation that Baam really doesn't like or trust Hwa Ryun, which is kind of telling. Is he still bitter about her swinging away at Rachel? About endangering his friends? About the role she played in handing him over to FUG? About the many times she's bullied him on and likely off-screen? I imagine her constantly calling him 'her god' in what I can only imagine is a slightly mocking tone doesn't help either.

It could be all of that, really, for why he doesn't like Hwa Ryun, but the trust part might be as simple as what we've just been shown. I mean, she's a guide, so she can see the end of certain paths with some accuracy. And she just said two seemingly contradictory things: 1) Baam is growing to become 'her god' 2) She'll show him the path to be free from FUG. This implies that the path of climbing with his friends would still be the path of him becoming her god. This might even be what caused a division amongst FUG's elders, if she told them something like that.

Him still growing to become their god being the "condition" for allowing him to climb with his friends would make sense too or else why would FUG ever allow it? By now it's already well-known that Viole is FUG, so on their end they don't really need him to officially be under their control so long as they can be assured that in the end he'll use his power to disrupt and kill the ten families and Zahard.

At this point it would definitely be hard for him to not come into conflict with the Families and Zahard - he's doing a weird job of basically "corrupting" one of the Zahard princesses (Androssi - he's associated with her and she's being slightly rebellious of the Zahard rules), not to mention being an associate of Anak who by Zahard's law should not have been born.

Not to mention that he is fairly well known as FUG's newest slayer candidate that he's pretty much stuck as an anti-Zahard fear symbol of sorts.

I don't know, I mostly like how we're approaching the end of the parallel to the 25th Baam, alone in the dark and waiting for Rachel to come back. I noticed it when I was rereading that he looks an awful lot like he did then - mostly the long hair and the eyes aren't the same as they were on the Floor of Test. Then of course SiU slapped everyone in the face with that one soooo :v:

(Also I think Baam v Beta is going to show off a tiny bit of his new Thorn powers)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

It's a little weird that he has both Beta and Mad Dog to showdown with. I kind of want someone else to take down Beta at this point. Although he's a prime candidate for a face turn.

The thing is that we haven't Mad Dog do anywhere near as much as Beta so far so he makes a pretty bad gauge, that's all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh Laure. Maximizing his effectiveness while minimizing his effort :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Chapter 104

The poo poo continues to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

He may have gotten too close to whichever princess this is and triggered something.