Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Found this while looking for something new to watch on CR, watched a few episodes there then binged the entire webtoon in about a week. What an incredible series.

The anime's fine so far even if I'm not 100% sold on the choices they're making in terms of adaptation, there's a lot of pretty important context that's getting dropped from the early episodes, and how they decided to do the end of the crown game kinda confuses me. I get overselling the shinsu blast from Bam, but I'm a bit confused about why they tacked on the extra bit with Black March. It doesn't fit at all with my understanding of the 13th Month Series and their powers and relationship to Bam in the webtoon at all, and is especially odd since it's in the episode that he loses the Black March.

I do like the soundtrack and VO work, and the animation works well enough even if it's a bit sketch-like for my taste compared to the art in the webtoon. I think my dream studio for this would've been UFOtable after seeing what they did with Demon Slayer, I just can't see the art style the anime has doing justice to the really spectacular action we're going to see later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

AtomikKrab posted:

Canonically the 13th months can possess and influence their wielders as shown when Yuri goes dual wielding. Knocking out Bam isn't outside the wheelhouse. Now for the other bits. I think the changes were made to show more explicitly that Bam isn't normal and has hidden poo poo. I personally don't feel it ruins anything

Yeah, it doesn't really ruin anything, I just thought they were odd changes to make to that scene. With regards to the Black March; (Webtoon spoilers) I read Yuri's possession as being a function of her being a princess and their special connection to the 13 Months less than it being a generalized power of the Months (or even ignition weapons), and even then it wasn't the individual weapons exerting control over her it was specifically the Ghost of the 13 Months that's summoned by igniting two of the 13 Months that took her over. It's possible that Bam may also have some special familial connection to Black March that makes it special for him, but that's something we haven't even gotten specifically spelled out in the webtoon. I think it's doubly odd to build up Bam's connection to the Black March at this point in the anime given that from this episode until we get to the Last Station part of the Hell Train arc, the Black March isn't going to be involved in Bam's story at all.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Jose posted:

Rachel's name is apparently very specifically Rachel for the person calling her rahel. She was called lahel all through early translations before they corrected it and the webtoon uses that too

Being a recent arrival who read the webtoons official translation, reading through this thread and the wiki is pretty confusing with all the references to "Lahel", "Androssi", "Zahad", "Lee Soo" and so on when I know them as Rachel, Endorsi, Jahad and Shibisu.

Are these all artifacts of old fan scans that have stuck around from inertia, kinda like the early One Piece fan scans and their butchering of romanization?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Guess I'll spoil it since we've got anime-only posters in here currently, I'm curious about What Rachel chose for her 'wishes' from Gustang pre-timeskip. Given how the Hidden Floor ended for her, I feel like the next time we see her she could look pretty different. It doesn't seem like it would be beyond Gustang's capabilities to modify Rachel's body like she was trying to do in the Hidden Floor. Rachel with a Jahad Princess-level body, an Opera lighthouse and the stingray could be a combat threat without totally relying on others to do all the fighting for her. That faceless companion of Apple and Micheal in the Cage arc remains an open mystery too.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

hey girl you up posted:

I would be surprised if she didn't ask for a new body. I imagine she'll also ask for one of the remaining thorn fragments. She really wanted to fulfill the conditions of the prophecy.

I've rereading the webtoon recently thanks to the anime, and while I had forgotten a ton of what happened, one thing in particular popped out at me. On the floor of the dead, we learn that Yuri is able to kill the immortals because when two spells come into contact, the stronger spell will cancel the weaker one. The spell animating Yuri's 13 months was stronger than the immortality spell.

I assuming Bam's ability to destroy spells is the same concept. Arlene was the main spell-user in their group; whatever magic she cast that led to Bam's existence, it's gotta be one of the most powerful spells out there. At the very least, we know she cast a spell preserving her child's body.

Does Gustang have a thorn fragment to give her though? I honestly can't remember. Good catch on the spells thing, I kinda remember the comic implying that it was the thorn fragment that was what let Bam kill the immortals, but maybe that's just a red herring.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ostensibly yes, though the Family Heads might not be able to kill each other because they're all under the same immortality contract. Which is possibly why Arlene couldn't commit suicide after losing her husband and child. Irregulars are not bound by contracts like Regulars and thus shouldn't be bound by the immortality contract. The Thorn is just prophesized to be what "cuts the King's throat" so Rachel would want it for that reason.

I feel like the Thorn is the secret sauce here cause all the 10 family heads are irregulars and given that Arlene, an irregular, couldn't kill herself implies that you need something more than just being from outside the Tower to kill one of the immortals in the Tower. My understanding is that Irregulars are valuable to FUG's plan cause they won't get deleted from existence by the Administrators cause of Jahad's contract protecting him being attacked by anyone else from the Tower, but that wouldn't negate the immortality. The Thorn's got some special properties - possibly because Enryu used it to kill an Administrator and now it's got some special qualities that let it mess with them and their rules, and maybe Enryu's whole messenger from God shtick?

I wonder if spells are seen as so taboo because they're functionally a way around the normal rules imposed on the Tower by the administrators, and Bam's spell resistance and spell breaking abilities are from the Thorn, though he's got so many insane powers/beings (including at least one pseudo baby Administrator) that it's hard to sort out until it's explicitly explained.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It's interesting that it's still unclear what the Administrator's position in this coming war is even going to be. On the one hand, they are the ones that functionally have made Jahad's empire possible with the contracts they've set up with him, on the other hand, Headron has boosted both Bam and Rachel's climb up the tower (including turning Akryung loose), and the 2nd floor Administrator certainly seems to be supporting Bam as well. I wonder if the contracts Jahad and the Great Warriors made with the Administrators were less gifts granted to them and more concessions coerced by force. Maybe the Administrator's function in the Tower before Jahad's entry were quite different than they are now, and they're trying to find an indirect way to subvert their contracts with Jahad and the 10 great families so they can also be freed.

I feel like the many allusions to fate and Jahad's apparent ability to control it in some way are probably key to understanding what the core of this conflict is actually about.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Really hoping the anime will help the official translations get fully cemented.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I feel like next week is gonna be the end of the test, then the final episode will be the aftermath and maybe a tease for the second season.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

As tempting as the fastpass is, I feel like it's a trap that would have me paying for it for an indefinite period of time after tasting the forbidden fruit once.

Nice that the plot seems to be moving again, this whole bit at the first wall was starting to drag a bit.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I think it was somewhere in the Hell Train arc where Rachel said something along the lines of "why's everyone so mad, I'm just playing the game as its meant to be played". She's got the drive of a shonen protagonist, but none of the superpowers that usually let them go for their goals without compromising their morals. She's willing to do anything to keep climbing, and isn't completely without skills or competence, she's just not an innately super-strong wunderkind like Baam or AA. Like yeah she's only gotten as far as she has with powerful patrons and some luck in addition to her own actions, but that's true for Baam and friends as well.

She's easy to hate, but I think she's a fascinating character and there's some massive blanks in her story that I'm very interested in seeing fleshed out.

Not a likable character, but a really good one IMO.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

A bit confused as to why Yuri seems to have the Black March since I don't recall Baam ever giving it back.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah at the last station Yuri gives Black March to Baam and he shoves it into himself, then when training with Evankhell she specifically mentions to him to not use it.

Last time it was seen or mentioned it was literally inside Baam.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Feel like the look of the weapon, and the effects are way too distinctive (and in two different chapters now) to be an art mistake. To me it's either that SIU made a major continuity mistake, or maybe she's using a replica (or uncannily similar needle) cause she doesn't want anyone to know she gave the Tower's most wanted (ir)regular one of the 13 Months (again!) It is a bit odd when as far as I can recall she's had Green April since she took it from Anak way back in part 1 and can actually ignite it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Yuri and Tiara becoming buds (at least temporarily) cause they got shitfaced together is a good bit, and Tiara's probably my favorite new character in a while. Who doesn't love a psychopathic murder-machine librarian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah it's been a minute since Anak's shown up, but what about Wagnan and Yihwa? I think it's been literally years since either of them have made an appearance.

I still think that out of the big three Rak's the one who needs something extra to fully fit the new paradigm, like he's got things he can do, but still is mostly serving as comic relief which is a shame cause Rak rules.