Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I love that she had no confidence in him even after seeing what he had to go through. Alternatively, I love that she wanted him all to herself. Baam best boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hory shet!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
IIRC Rachel got into the tower entirely by accident, not by some mysterious merit of ability that the other Irregulars in history had (the Guardian of the Hell Train seems to be implying/outright saying Irregulars get in because of their ability to shake up the status quo). She's an oddity even among Irregulars.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I hate that Phantominium exists, because not only is it a detail that has no bearing on anything other than another example of Irregulars being crazy powerful people, but it will actively have nothing to do with the main plot, because it's already confirmed that he won't show up (unless the author changes his mind, I guess), and nothing has been done with that aspect of the setting (these godlike storytellers who can create and manage whole universes and why one of them showed up in the Tower) and probably won't be done because I can only think of one other Talze Uzer story and to my knowledge that one hasn't even been translated and has nothing to do with ToG.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I have to say I'm amazed at how well the author has made us hate Rachel. She is such an unrepentant piece of poo poo that every single time I see her it's like I hate her that little bit more.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I swear if this manhwa ends in like ten years with Rachel winning I don't care to think what I'll do.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Rak is a treasure, but I wish he would stop being like Worf in Star Trek. He's clearly powerful, his duel with the Arie side-branch guy transformed the whole landscape around them, but he still gets beaten or somehow underestimated every time we see him.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I have faith that he will return to us.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yet another chapter of Rachel being a giant oval office who manipulates people into being a shield for her to use to climb the Tower instead of actually growing stronger herself.

It's also super interesting, but pretty obvious to anyone whose paid attention, that Jahad/Zahard used to be extremely similar to Baam, and his goal was to be a sort of ideal for people to strive toward and improve themselves in order to make people happy. It honestly makes me think Baam is some sort of clone of Jahad, but that's not really based on anything but my personal thoughts.

Also I called that Rak isn't dead. You don't just kill off such a great character like that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Your first stop should definitely be the first page of this thread to hunt for ideas. Word of warning though, most of the links there are dead, as the official publisher for many of those manhwa have issued C&D orders for those translations. You can still find translation via Google though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Jose posted:

i'm glad that SIU has made the floors past the current rankers an actual thing

i wonder what made jahad stop and why he is the leader of the 10 families tbh

I feel like that reason and why he's the leader are both revealed in that last chapter. He's a Baam-like character who naturally attracted these guys to him, only instead of wanting power to make the people he loved happy and remain close to them, he wanted power to make the people he loved happy by ruling over them from a lofty godlike position. Jahad stopped where he did because he felt that he could finally achieve that goal. I think that like Baam, his goal was never about climbing to the top, just to a point where he could do what he set out to do.

I think it's pretty amusing that had Rachel only brought Baam along with her and used him like she uses everybody, he would be perfectly willing to climb with her and help her achieve her dream, but nope.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
They translated it that way because in Korea Rachel's name is literally pronounced "RAW-HELL", not the Rachel that English speakers are familiar with. I didn't mind it, and still don't, and even now despite knowing the official pronunciation I still call her the English Rachel in my mind.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

nimby posted:

Emily used to be a person, so she might be working towards personhood again. Probably easier to be a super powerful AI under FUG management, as I really doubt Jahad or the families would allow it.

But Emily was never a person though? I could be misremembering, but I thought the twist in that story arc was that Emily's body doesn't exist because she wasn't made from a person, she's an AI.

Also Rachel isn't climbing the tower for the hell of it, she's climbing it to "see the stars". Like, I'm not going to pretend that her motivation is any more selfish than probably the hundreds of other people climbing the tower to see their selfish ambitions come true, but when you compare it to "Social Reform," "Saving my Daughter," "Making a Peaceful World," and "Protect my Friends," her goal is really petty.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
"Will this drink help Rachel get back with me?"

"uh...ya"

*gulps it down without a second thought*

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So basically he's Anakin Skywalker?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It turns out that The Twenty-Fifth Baam was the friends we made along the way.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Headon being the final boss would legit make me laugh out loud.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Rachel is his half-sister and so we're all going to feel bad about wishing death on her every 5 minutes.

If anything, I'll only hate her more.

It's interesting that the princess of Jahad reveal means that none of the princesses should have to follow that "you cannot have a relationship with anybody" so Endorsi and/or Yuri could totally jump Baam's bones if they find out.

EDIT: Also Karaka is my friend and I like him now. "I only watch the news." You go man.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 27, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I could see that being possible, but I think in this case Jahad's blood would be so diluted (what I'm getting from the story so far is that each princess is basically only given a couple drops of blood at most) that it might not even "count".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm wagering they were another experiment in the vein of the princesses, but tamer. Inject boys with a smidgen of Jahad blood, see what happens. I might need to re-read, but I don't understand why an immortal god-king would need an heir for his empire though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
See, I would believe that had the last chapter not outright said "Jahad cannot have children because his blood is too powerful and the kid wouldn't survive to birth". Which has me leaning toward experiment.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Turns out he watches Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know how to feel or react about this chapter. It's so good, but at the same time, I hate being kept on the edge of my seat. What I want to know is, where's Rak?

It seems apparent to me that Arlene exited the tower and eventually came to wherever Rachel was, and Rachel adored her and looked up to her, but this must have been thousands of years in the past and Rachel wouldn't have existed. Also holy poo poo Rachel, you literally know that Baam is the kid of the woman you revere and you choose to betray him constantly anyway? How much more despicable can you get?

So the 13th Month series, all together, is the Key that Jahad made to seal the way to the 134th Floor, and Enryu is apparently an acquaintance of either V (I think his name is Viole, but whatever), Arlene, or both of them, which makes it seem that he should also know the other 11 Leaders, who entered the Tower for revenge against Jahad. That's what I'm getting right now. Garam, never stop talking.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
IIRC, time kind of freezes for you if you're a regular trying to climb the tower. Remember that it took Rankers decades to get their positions, yet few of them are shown to be old people.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
To put their fight into perspective, every floor of the tower is way bigger than the small segments we see in the manhwa, I believe each floor was compared to the continent of North America. They basically razed a complete landmass.

EDIT: Like the Grand Canyon times a thousand.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Ytlaya posted:

most of the other family leaders were just also assholes to begin with.

Well, remember that Arie literally sacrifices his kids to polish his sword or some poo poo and the dude who didn't get immortality so instead he sacrificed his kids' future. I wager that they're all assholes, every single one of them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Re-reading the first couple chapters, I can understand the poster who said that he figured Headon had a big role to play in things. He definitely had some kind of scheme for Bam, he wasn't even trying to hide it. Also I forgot that the first person that Bam meets is Yuri, and she greets him by kicking him in the face. And that the 13 Month series all were sentient creatures, and that Black March even appeared before him. I wonder, since the 13 Month series, together, are all the keys to unlocking Floor 135, and considering Jahad's obsession with Grace, much like Bam's obsession with Rachel...I don't know where I'm going. But maybe the 13 Month weapons are related to her somehow.

What are Yuri and Evan's ranks, anyway? It says it somewhere, but I forgot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Um, excuse me? They didn't find the body so that means Rak is alive and currently hunting strong prey to eventually get back to his favorite turtles.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I once had a crazy thought way back when Tower of God was still in its first season that Rak either was Bloodmatter (the guy who didn't get immortality in the 10 Families), or one of his descendants, because Wraithraiser and Bloodmatter were both two very cool names that I appreciated so surely there must be a connection.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hahaha, I'm still re-reading Season 1 and I completely forgot about Khun's non stop, 24/7, wacky fun house ride of constant keikaku. One of the comments after he reveals that he rigged one of the major tests just to help Bam succeed was "Kuhn: The Ultimate Friend."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Top 3 for me would be Rak (because of course), Khun, and probably Yuri tbh. All three of them are just the best and perfect cinnamon rolls.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Remember that Rachel's gang is also after Hockey. Continuing my reread, I remembered that at first I really didn't like Hwaryun, because I'm not generally a fan of her character type of "lol I know important stuff but I'm not going to tell you because I'm mysterious!" It was only after she ran headfirst into the Emily AI program that hosed with her ability as a guide that I started to like her, because it caught her completely off guard and she got BTFO'd.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I love all forms of Yuri and I wish there was more of her, but at the same time I know that if she appeared more some of her quirks would begin to look tame. It makes me smile to think that she's Baam's first and probably most enthusiastic after Khun fan when she's, right now, so far above him it would be like a tree compared to a cloud.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
HE DID IT. OUR CINNAMON BUN FINALLY DID IT. The sky's the limit for Baam now! Any episode where Rachel gets BTFO is a drat good episode. I like how she isn't even trying to hide her hate for Baam now. And I think I've posted this before, but in light of what we know now, it makes perfect sense why she hates him and even though she'll use everyone else never even considered the idea of using him. Because he's the chosen one and she's not, no matter how hard she tries, and that grinds her gears so hard.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Two Tone Shoes posted:

She clearly doesn't hate Baam. She refused to kill him in the Hell Train game, after all. I think she just hated her life more than anything and Baam's kind of a representation of that.

She also thought she could abuse his attachment to her again and failed miserably since Baam's got a new purpose.

That said I think she's going to win this game.

If she doesn't hate Baam, at the least she hates that he's special and she's not.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Baam's obsession with Rachel isn't creepy. It's not creepy to obsess over the only person you've ever known for 99% of your life. Baam's personality is modeled after what she taught him and how reliant he was on her.

While you are correct, that doesn't mean it can't be creepy. And it is. Nowhere has Baam's fixation on Rachel ever been portrayed as a good thing, and a good example of the creepiness is when Rachel first boarded the Hell Train, Baam saw her, and was like "nah Rachel, we're going back. I don't care what you want, we're going back."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There are a few things he can't copy, however. The only one I know off the top of my head is the Arie family's sword technique.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Jose posted:

he did copy that though

SIU explained that the only reason he could do that was because he was using the fake clone's power. Ordinarily Baam cannot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
gently caress, man, I just want Rak back in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I really love that shot of the whole gang making their stand. It's one of those things I really love to see in fiction.