Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Any real difference between a Techniworm and someone half-decent using a pour-over like a V60?

Are expensive grinders like Baratza Sette worth it, or even possible to use for filter coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
After moving and finding a coffee shop that served two different locally roasted and often unusually processed speciality coffees each day, I found myself actually enjoying coffee in a way more similar to the way I enjoy tea and alcohol.

I bought a Thermos JMY 350ml mug, which keeps my coffee warm through my commute and past lunchtime even if I am keeping it open for sips. It also provided a stop to leaky and scalding cardboard cups from the shop.

I then ended up trading away the Moccamaster for a huge Bodum french press. I had been using it mostly to brew preground supermarket coffee when I was entertaining a lot of guests, but I wanted a smaller setup that I could easily stow in a cupboard.

I also bought a Hario electric kettle on sale, not the temp control one because that seemed horribly overpriced, especially since most of the time I want to be close to boiling, even for my teas. With it I got a 350ml Hario Switch, mostly so I could do infusion brews for my commute, but have the option to play around with pourovers.

For a grinder I went with the Wilfa Uniform. At the time the price difference between the silver one and the black one with a scale was negligible, which was a shame, because I do have some accurate, but small and cheap Chinese scales already. I did consider the Fellow, but with the new burrs it would have been twice the price of the uniform, which seems ridiculous. I find the Wilfa scale to be quite good though. It is responsive enough and the size is neither too big nor too small.

I am excited to keep drinking speciality coffees roasted here in Norway. Coffee shops around here are hardly cheap, so the equipment should pay for itself in less than a year, but even if it didn't I am having a lot more fun with coffee now.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 28, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
As far as I know, yeah, it is still in a class of its own as far as single boiler non-hx machines. You can get rancilio silvas prefitted with PIDs these days too if you don't want to do any modding.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Hario Switch is pretty cool; you can use it like a V60 or like a Clever Dripper. Gives you some more options, but it is pricier than the Clever, and it is easy for the aforementioned switch to pop out of position if you're not being very gentle with it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
if you weigh the beans beforehand and only put the correct amount into the hopper then you can time your grind all you like

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is it called "natural" in America? Here we say "berry-dried" as opposed to “washed“, and increasingly we specify anaerobic or semi-anaerob ferments etc as you would for wine.

I had a great anaerobic berry-dried from Nyamasheke, Rwanda that was all red berries, good clean acidity and no funk, but I will usually go with washed just because you can so easily end up with muddled or boozy coffees otherwise.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would still rather have a traditional italian-style espresso shot than chance getting a thimble of lemon juice at a hipster coffee place. Office drip coffee and auto/semi-auto machines have been completely ruined by getting into specialty v60s and the like though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

VelociBacon posted:

I would say the espressos enjoyed traditionally in Italy were probably not great for the most part if you consider how involved modern espresso is (think of precision baskets, shower screens, temp control, dosing by weight, etc).

Well, whatever Carraro 1927 Crema Espresso is then.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Suddenly having draw down issues with my switch. Didn't change my technique, and grind size don't seem to matter much. It is a new coffee though. Brazilian.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I find that if I forgo the Hoffman Blooming Swirl part of the Switch technique, and rather use a little more water to ensure all the grounds are covered for the bloom, I don't get a stalled out drawdown. It's still slow, but just normal for the Switch slow. My guess is that my grinder is spitting out quite a bit of fines, and if I swirl I just ensure all of the filter gets clogged.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ethiopian is my favorite, so that could be it as well, but I had it happen with a bunch of coffees now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have one. Were you not careful to not get grounds in the threading when opening it? You might have to force it?

The Commandante C40 used to be the benchmark, might still be.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hoffmann just taunting Joffmann in his latest video.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Could you not just ask them to make the old school coffee on a new machine or some new school coffee on the old one?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, it might not be an ideal shot, but it's hardly going to ruin the machine right?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I really enjoy my Hario electric kettle. I can pour pretty quickly with it, which I think gives it a bit more flexibility as a general-purpose kettle. I wish it got to a boil quicker though. Temperature control seems pretty unnecessary to me; water loses a lot of heat when put into a new medium, even a pre-heated one, but if I was really into very delicate green teas I might feel differently.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

adebisi lives posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my electric kettle to something with a gooseneck and temperature control. After doing some research I feel like I'm at the point where I'd have to be talked out of the Stagg EKG. Anyone have any reason to look elsewhere? The Hario one looks nice but appears to not be sold in the US market at the moment? I split my coffee making between an aeropress where I've been skating by with a cheap kettle, and a hario switch I got recently and want to play around with as a pour over.

The Stagg only pours very very slowly, which is fine if you will ever only be using it for pour overs, but a pain if you want to use it as a general kettle, or drink a lot of tea.

It's also very expensive. I went for a Hario without temp control because I don't think that is actually very useful at all, which helps a lot with the cost. It pours well and can do so rather quickly too if I want it to.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ulvir posted:

tim wendelboe’s coffee subscription this month included an ethiopian coffee variety that was grown and harvested in el salvador. i’m taking this as an interesting look into how important terroir really is when it comes to the final taste. this tastes nothing like what i’d expect ethiopian coffee to taste like

The beans looked quite dark, and sounded very glassy going into my grinder, maybe that's due to the honey process, because the resulting brew was quite light. Very subtle, but intriguing aromas. Does not taste Ethiopian to me, but it's one of the nicer ones to come from the subscription. I am canceling to support my local coffee shop instead though, they stock mostly Langøra, which I have found to be a bit more in your face.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Regarding moccamaster thermal carafs, the KGBT kind of sucks in my opinion, barely keeps it warm for 30 minutes. Can't speak for the rest of them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Tried an oat milk cappuccino the other day and was pleasently surprised; there's not that trace of funky animalic umami and the sweetness is of a different character, but the texture was spot on and the flavor not bad at all.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tippecanoe posted:

My brother is asking for some kind of thermos or insulated travel mug for Christmas. Something small and spill-proof as it will be going in his bag. Does anyone have any recommendations? Strangely I can't find a James Hoffmann video on the topic!!

The JMY series of vacuum mugs from Thermos are excellent. They're completely spill proof, nice to drink from and the best performing in a bunch of tests. I bring mine everywhere.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

seravid posted:

I'm going to start taking a mug to work (Kinto, probably) so I can take my time enjoying a proper cup of coffee instead of downing a capsule shot before walking out the door. What quantity do people usually brew? I should have enough for all day if I buy the 500ml mug and fill it up, but how will the coffee taste after 6 or 7 hours sitting in there?

I do 350ml.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Unless the espresso grinder is extremely specialized I don't see why you would need a separate grinder for filter. It's not like a few fines are a huge issue for V60; the default Ode 2 burrs create them too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It looks promising, but aside from someone on Instagram saying that exchanging burrs can be done on the 064s there's not a lot of info on whether the stepped 064 can do the same, or whether the 064 is comparable in grind quality to that of the 078, bias or no bias.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Looks nice, but delivered it is almost three times the price of the Sculpture 78s.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Get a Hario Switch and you can do immersion and V60.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's rumors that once the Sculptor kickstarter concludes tomorrow, we Europeans are gonna be allowed to ask for the 78 even though we could only pledge for the 78s. That would be rad, saves me buying the burrs down the road.

I kind of want the white one due to the clear hopper, but I worry that finish is going to look messier than the black one.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol, it looks like Timemore is going to try to back out on shipping to all those hard to reach / high VAT countries...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The kickstarter for the sculptor grinder turned out to allow non-US people to switch to a 078 if they had backed a 78s (due to kickstarter rules they couldn't provide an already released product to backers), so I will be getting exactly what I wanted. Seems pretty end game for me since I don't wanna make espresso at home. Hopefully it holds up well!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

James Hoffman did some absurd testing with Moka pots if you wanna figure out if your moms model is fine, but it’s probably fine.

Moka pots are dead east and quite forgiving.

Did you watch said videos?

I would think moving them to a clever dripper or similar would do the most for taste, but they probably like harsh and bitter Moka brews at this point so just get them some medium roast coffee?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 27, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mojo1701a posted:

Is there a current recommendation on kettles

Most of them will do the job, but the Fellow Stagg and Hario V60 kettles are the best if you have the cash.

The former pours very slowly, so if you also want to make tea or pot noodles and stuff the latter is preferable. If you're only doing light roasts and you're not into gyokoru teas you can save some money by getting the Hario without temperature control.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bandire posted:

Goons With Spoons > Coffee: soupy pucks regularly

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mostly drink coffees roasted by Langøra these days, and their Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda are great, but pretty interchangeable. The naturals are super fruity without going into boozy/sourdough territory, while the washed ones are more citrus forward.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Drop by the Café?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Corb3t posted:

Looks like my TimeMore Sculptor is going to ship in the next couple weeks - I'm excited to dust off the Bambino again now that I'll have a truly stepless grinder to dial in my shots.

I'm also waiting on mine. It's in batch 7 so past EU customs but it might end up sitting in a warehouse over Christmas for all I know.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I got my Sculptor 078. The hopper was loose, and I discovered it was due to whoever assembled the thing mixing up the two screws that hold it in place (they're of differing lengths). An easy fix, but not the smartest design choice nor does it bode well for QC.

It came with a t-shirt, which is kind of fun. There was a customs fee, but they lied on the customs declaration so the amount was low. I can supposedly get it refunded if I email them about it.

Put a bunch of old and cheap beans through it, then brewed my first cup. Quite happy with the results. Grounds looked nice and uniform, and the fines collector appeared to work as advertised. Popcorning does not seem to be an issue with the lid half-on. The RPM dial is not particularly accurate or responsive, but I doubt I will be using that feature much.

I love the heft of the thing. Build quality seems excellent with the exception of the RPM dial and the on/off-button. They feel a bit cheaper and kind of tacked on. It grinds quickly and is a lot quieter than my old Uniform, but hardly as quiet as some of the reviews out there might lead you to believe.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I love the shape. It's reminiscent of a kitchenaid or a skinny sowing machine. Even the big one is smaller than I was expecting, so I doubt there's much wasted real estate.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

grahm posted:

Where in the world are you? I'm waiting on one in the US and I'm honestly not sure if it's even shipped yet.

Norway. I got a tracking number and everything. DHL at the start, then domestic mail service in country.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've been watching Japanese pourover brewing videos for a bit, and they seem to use 1:15 and sometimes even 1:14 ratios. I am used to seeing 1:16, sometimes creeping up to 1:17 ratios over here. Is this an east-west thing or have smaller ratios become more popular in general recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I find that with my 078 the retention in the chute is pretty bad. I get way more stuff than just fines out when I use the klicker thing. The air here is super dry and I am not doing RDT though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 22, 2023