Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Trying an oolong I got from verdant tea this morning; second steeping gives me buttery tones, reminiscent of an assam I had last month. Got a gaiwan in my order too so I'm a bit eager to try a different brewing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm doing that with Yunomi.life, but it's only quarterly and one single 100g bag. I've been pretty satisfied with it; if I were to switch to more types but less of each (maybe even 5-10g per), I think I'd like it even more given how I behaved with the one-time build-your-own sample set I got with Verdant Tea. Hell, I just ordered another set of various oolongs from there this morning.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Got my shincha in from Hibiki-an last week. It's got a nice welcome level of astringency, and I also got some nice little azuki jellies to go with it for a sorta Japanese experience.

I really wanna get some loose houjicha but I need to finish up a lot more of my stock before I can let myself do that.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I like yunomi.life, myself, for japanese green teas.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Maybe I should go for something like that. I picked up an H&F Belx bottle over a year ago where the steeping cage is at the bottom so that it's always in contact with the water, but I don't like that as much. I think the design's better for like, infusing water with flavor versus brewing tea in it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Welp, made the mistake of making using a peach turmeric blend in my Teavana bottom dispensing maker, and now the smell and stain are there to stay. Thinking of getting a new one in that style for casual stuff; I see there's an Adagio one on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with that product, or am alternative recommendation for a bottom-dispensing unit?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I had some whiskey barrel smoked regular tea of some sort a while back (can't recall the exact type right now) and I absolutely loved it. I'm a sucker for houjicha so I imagine that ito en stuff would be amazing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm an absolute slut for smoke so I'll have to get some of that. Thanks for the enticing writeup!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've been meaning to get back into tea drinking, so I went and placed an order with Adagio for one of their bottom-draining equipment pieces 'cause the one I'd bought from Teavana years ago was ruined. I had gotten some stuff as a gift from some coworkers but one had a lot of turmeric, which ended up staining my PerfecTea maker and leaving a lingering scent, so I didn't want to use that for anything else anymore. In the meantime I also started overnight cold-brewing some houjicha I'd bought from Hibiki-an last year.

The Adagio stuff came in yesterday, and I think I'm already won over. When I was placing my order, they went ahead and included a couple of pouchong samplers upon meeting a spending threshold, which was pretty cool. Looking forward to sharing those with my mom, there's a papaya one and a coconut one. For myself, I ordered a couple of Wuyi oolongs, plus a maple creme oolong, which sounded rich as hell. The shipment ended up also coming with a little sampler packet of a peach white (which I ended up brewing as the first thing in the new tea maker) and a little box of stuff for that Communi-Tea program of theirs. I'm looking forward to having those next week.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In continuing my drive to actually get through my supply backlog, I opened up the package of bagged houjicha I'd ordered from Hibiki-an and attempted to cold-brew with it, because cold-brewing the same houjicha but loose leaf in the mason jar infuser attachment led to a lot of leafy bits getting left behind.

Verdict: in this ~800?mL mason jar, one bag is not enough; the flavor is there but a bit thin. I'll likely try to use two in the future, but maybe I also need to seek out a reusable cold brew infuser with a finer mesh.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I haven't, but I'll see if they would fit the mason jar I've been using; I also have a french press that holds about the same volume, so maybe I can just use that and pour out what's already been brewed so I can do another batch's worth. I'll still look into those baskets, though, in the hope that I can just keep it all in that jar. Thank you for the recommendation!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Picked up some fillable bags to use for the loose leaf stuff I have. Used one for my Hibiki-an houjicha and it worked like a dream. I've been out of my usual routine for a little while so I'm trying to restore it bit by bit.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Jhet posted:

I mean, that clearly belongs in the “a fool and their money deserve to be separated” territory.

For the poster looking for a low effort way for tea making, there are electric kettles you can set to a temp and it will hold it there heating when it drops too far. But my favorite method is making a big pot of tea and keeping it at temp, which is what a pre-heated thermos does really well. The vacuum sealed ones are amazing at this and I’ve had tea still at 140F the next day. That was perfect for when I wasn’t near a heat source.

If it’s mostly for at home, a nice thick ceramic with a tea coozy collection is a good move, and a good electric kettle will heat water really quickly.

Hell, I basically do this with a Corkcicle bottle I found at TJ Maxx - brew enough to fill it up, it's still steaming a day after I've brewed it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It's pretty darn swell.

I'm starting to run low on my oolong supplies so I went ahead and ordered a few from Verdant, more on the darker side. I tried a bunch of samples from them before and over time I've concluded that as far as oolongs go I really prefer that end of the spectrum. Looking forward to trying them once they're in!

And then at some point I should get some more genmai houjicha...

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Part of my most recent order was of a big honkin' bag of kyobancha, and it didn't have instructions so I went with 200F for 1 minute as a first attempt. I meant to do 195F but forgot to properly set the temperature on my electric kettle.
Turns out that, according to the folks who sell the tea, the recommended first steep time is 2 minutes, so I'll see what that tastes like another time. Right now, this understeeped instance gives me some interesting... notes of mint, actually? It's a little subtle but it's something that I'm able to pick up on. I don't know if I exactly like that, so I'll probably stick closer to that recommended time and maybe even kick it down a couple degrees in the future.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yunomi.life order arrived today. Came wrapped in what I believe is a furoshiki this time? Really appreciated that. The houji genmaicha on the right remains my overall favorite, I've had and enjoyed the red-bordered echigo boucha in the middle left, so the other 3 are entirely new to me. Looking forward to them, especially that mocha houjicha in the back.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Houjicha fucks and I just ordered a bunch 'cause I'm starting to run low. By which I mean I'm finishing one bag, i have some genmai houjicha left in a tin, and i have some echigo boucha I haven't even opened yet.
I'm cold brewing some of it though to get through my supply faster.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I adore roasted barley, but I ran out of it recently. I'll have to get some more in the future but Yunomi had a spring sale and whoops I kind of single-mindedly picked up some new stuff.

I remember having a bag of corn tea a couple months back - great corn aroma, but the actual taste felt kinda thin, so same experience here, I'd say. Not bad, but I personally wouldn't be going back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Do y'all have a rec on a specific corn tea to try? I got a packet of it in a Bokksu shipment once and wasn't very wowed. Disappointing because I thought I'd love the stuff.