Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The set design is the most insane I've ever seen in any movie. There's a crazy amount of stuff packed into frames you'll be looking at for like five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Speaking of weird movies set in Louisiana, was I mistaken or didn't Segal do a movie similar to Hard Target? It seemed like everyone was doing an adaptation to the MOST DANGEROUS GAME!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

KingsPawn posted:

Speaking of weird movies set in Louisiana, was I mistaken or didn't Segal do a movie similar to Hard Target? It seemed like everyone was doing an adaptation to the MOST DANGEROUS GAME!

The only other one from that era that I can think of is Surviving the Game with Ice-T and Rutger Hauer and a loving awesome Gary Busey.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You might be thinking of On Deadly Ground, in which Billy Bob Thornton & R Lee Ermey are hired thugs from 'New Orleans' tracking him down in Alaska. Maybe mixed with the title Hard To Kill which sounds like Hard Target. Steven Seagal is often the lone man being hunted by the bad guys.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Stephen Seagal is such a jackass.

my favorite example of this:

In Out for Kill, all the asian people dress like this (The movie takes place in asia):

Stephen Seagal dresses like this:

Someone pointed out recently (I don't remember if it was here or on reddit)
But there are only two Stephen Seagal movie covers where he is not holding a gun, but one of them he's standing inside a gun silhouette.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The worst part is that he seems to be completely oblivious to fact that he's a fat clown. At least Van Damme is in on the joke in later years.

The gun-cover claim is a little bit of a stretch but not by much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

The gun-cover claim is a little bit of a stretch but not by much.

Disclaimer on the gun cover claim: I was just parroting it from an example I saw recently. Your links shows at least four covers that do not have guns, although Executive Decision does not count, because it is not "Seagal Movie". One of the many reasons it rules is that Seagal dies early and pointlessly, because gently caress him.

I haven't seen a lot of Seagal movies (maybe half a dozen?), but my favorite scene that I have scene is where he has to go to anger management class in Exit Wounds. Which I think is a movie where DMX costars. Not as good as Cradle 2 the Grave where DMX and Jet Li costar. DMX opens a vault with a rocket launcher in literally the oposite way you would expect. Also one of the characters runs up a wall and does a backflip in slow motion, like in The Matrix, but it's not who you'd expect. Also the closing thing to being relevant to the movie I can say about the title is that there sure are two main characters.

The idea that anyone could ever take Steven Seagal as seriously as he takes himself is laughable to me. Because it is impossible.

Look at this bro-walk:

When people come up with action movie parody names, they have to make sure there's not already a Seagal movie called that.

Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Marked for Death
Out for Justice
Under Siege
On Deadly Ground
Under Siege 2: Dark Territory*
Exit Wounds
Half Past Dead
Belly of the Beast
Out for a Kill
Out of Reach
Black Dawn
Today You Die
Into the Sun
Mercenary for Justice
Shadow Man
Attack Force
Urban Justice
Flight of Fury
Pistol Whipped
Kill Switch
A Dangerous Man
Against the Dark
Driven to Kill
Born to Raise Hell**
Urban Warfare
Lethal Justice
Street Wars
Dark Vengeance
Deadly Crossing
Payback
Maximum Conviction
Force of Execution

I swear when I started typing those I didn't know there were going to be so many...

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Kulkasha posted:

I really don't know why, but I loving love 13th Warrior.

Because it simply just isnt a bad film. It is well acted, has good costuming and set design and a plot that isnt too marred by the studio editing job. It has a good sense of dread throughout the film that is punctuated by good levity when needed and Banderas is a very good leading man as per usual.

I know movies are highly subjective (I looove equilibrium and dont see as being THAT flawed :P) but I just cant see why people consider the 13th warrior a bad film. I can understand people being "meh" about it but theres nothing really wrong with it either.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think it has to do with the curse of Beowulf, which states that anything connected to Beowulf is either panned for 1500+ years until people appreciate it, or it's just outright bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I supposed Antonio Banderaz playing an Arabic character can sort of be handwaved, since by the 10 century, the Iberian Peninsula would have been under Muslim control for about 200 years, so he could easily be a Muslim of Spanish descent. Maybe.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Didn't Seagal get essentially trapped in a horrible contract to churn out endless lovely DTV actioners about which he could literally not give one poo poo? Possibly with the Russian Mafia involved somehow.

Edit: not the Russian Mafia, just the regular one, apparently.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 19, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just caught Rocky 2 on cable again, man that first hour is better than all of Rocky 1. The second turns into a generic training/fight montage, but that first half is amazing cinema. Really underrated. Also I caught Point Break, had never seen the full thing before and it is as amazing as Hot Fuzz led me to believe.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I love the photography of Point Break. Not sure what exactly it is--negative space? lots of telephoto?--but I think it does something different than most action movies of that time and I inevitably get glued to it whenever I put it on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

effectual posted:

Just caught Rocky 2 on cable again, man that first hour is better than all of Rocky 1. The second turns into a generic training/fight montage, but that first half is amazing cinema. Really underrated.

Really, except for 5, all the Rocky movies are good stuff.

1 - An acclaimed film
2 - A Junior version of #1
3 - A true 80s buddy film
4 - Stallone's attempt to make a boxing version of Top Gun (he succeeds wildly)
5 - What the gently caress
6 - A feel good film that uses nostalgia effectively

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Just caught Rocky 2 on cable again, man that first hour is better than all of Rocky 1. The second turns into a generic training/fight montage, but that first half is amazing cinema. Really underrated. Also I caught Point Break, had never seen the full thing before and it is as amazing as Hot Fuzz led me to believe.

I especially love Rocky II's opening titles and theme music. Conti really outdid himself and there's a great sense of some important poo poo having gone down.

The second half does get bogged down with the coma business but it's still a favorite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Red posted:

Really, except for 5, all the Rocky movies are good stuff.

1 - An acclaimed film
2 - A Junior version of #1
3 - A true 80s buddy film
4 - Stallone's attempt to make a boxing version of Top Gun (he succeeds wildly)
5 - What the gently caress
6 - A feel good film that uses nostalgia effectively

Five is like, almost a good movie. Almost.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can appreciate the idea behind it and what they were trying to do, yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Touch me and I'll sue!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'll go to bat for the alley fight. I want to say that it's a bad fight in the context of being in a Rocky movie, but then again Rocky came from the streets so having a They Live!-kind of brawl seems weirdly appropriate. And while it has been ages since I've seen Rocky V, I remember the relief I felt that Rocky finally fought someone again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

I'll go to bat for the alley fight. I want to say that it's a bad fight in the context of being in a Rocky movie, but then again Rocky came from the streets so having a They Live!-kind of brawl seems weirdly appropriate. And while it has been ages since I've seen Rocky V, I remember the relief I felt that Rocky finally fought someone again.

Even Rocky VI ignores Rocky V - there's no mention of any brain damage when he argues that he's fit to box in VI.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Even Rocky VI ignores Rocky V - there's no mention of any brain damage when he argues that he's fit to box in VI.

Obviously he forgot about the brain damage due to said damage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What about Paulie's robot/wife?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Paulie's robot/wife?

I assume that was also a hallucination induced by brain damage.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Rocky VI is a death dream as fluid smothers Rocky's lobes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What's the general feeling on Duplex?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Darthemed posted:

I was really drunk when I watched it 10 years ago but I recall enjoying the way the old lady subtly needled Ben Stiller.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I remember not hating it, but I also felt no desire to ever watch it a second time sooooooooooo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Entertaining movies Ben Stiller is in:

- Empire of the Sun
- Dodgeball
- Heavyweights
- The Cable Guy
- Happy Gilmore (well, as of 1998)
- Royal Tenenbaums
- Megamind

I haven't seen it, but people seemed to like Greenberg.

Everything else, as a rule, is a horrible embarrassing mess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

Entertaining movies Ben Stiller is in:

- Empire of the Sun
- Dodgeball
- Heavyweights
- The Cable Guy
- Happy Gilmore (well, as of 1998)
- Royal Tenenbaums
- Megamind

I haven't seen it, but people seemed to like Greenberg.

Everything else, as a rule, is a horrible embarrassing mess.

how are you gonna leave Tropic Thunder off that list but include loving Megamind

Parachute
May 18, 2003
^^^This guy

Tropic Thunder?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You missed his two best movies, Flirting with Disaster and Keeping the Faith.

Ben Stiller has made some good poo poo, just not in a while.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
and loving Zoolander are you kidding me?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how are you gonna leave Tropic Thunder off that list but include loving Megamind

I am aware of Tropic Thunder's existence. It has its moments, but is buried under some dumb stuff (mostly Tom Cruise's parts). The fake documentary, Rain of Madness (it's on YouTube) is actually a good Herzog-esque clip.

Edit: Zoolander is a movie you either love or detest, with no middle ground. I am in the "detest" camp.

VVV His show was actually quite good, as were his appearances on Newsradio, King of Queens, etc. VVV

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not to mention his T.V show was extremely innovative for the time and is was very influential considering that most people forget it ever existed.

^^^^What about Flirting with Disaster though? If you haven't seen that you must because it proves that Stiller can act well and be funny at the same time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I am aware of Tropic Thunder's existence. It has its moments, but is buried under some dumb stuff (mostly Tom Cruise's parts). The fake documentary, Rain of Madness (it's on YouTube) is actually a good Herzog-esque clip.

Edit: Zoolander is a movie you either love or detest, with no middle ground. I am in the "detest" camp.

VVV His show was actually quite good, as were his appearances on Newsradio, King of Queens, etc. VVV

Wait are you saying that Tom Cruise's parts are dumb stuff?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Not to mention his T.V show was extremely innovative for the time and is was very influential considering that most people forget it ever existed.

^^^^What about Flirting with Disaster though? If you haven't seen that you must because it proves that Stiller can act well and be funny at the same time.

Actually, no, I haven't seen Flirting with Disaster. Maybe I'll look that one up.

Snak posted:

Wait are you saying that Tom Cruise's parts are dumb stuff?

Many people I know and respect thought Cruise's bits were some of the best parts of the film, and quote it to this day.

I thought it was awful and unfunny.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 9, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

I thought it was awful and unfunny.

You know I actually agree with you there.

Personally I found it hard to forget that it was Tom Cruise playing the part of a stereotypical Jewish studio-head, and that he is a gigantic hypocrite because he wouldn't want anybody to lampoon scientologists in the way he does Jewish people in that movie. There's nothing really overtly offensive about it, but the fact that its Cruise rubbed me the wrong way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Personally I found it hard to forget that it was Tom Cruise playing the part of a stereotypical Jewish studio-head, and that he is a gigantic hypocrite because he wouldn't want anybody to lampoon scientologists in the way he does Jewish people in that movie. There's nothing really overtly offensive about it, but the fact that its Cruise rubbed me the wrong way.

to be fair, he's playing a part written and directed by a Jewish filmmaker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It appears there are some people that need to take a step back and literally gently caress their own faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I know the movie is supposed to be a farce, but I couldn't get past it just being Tom Cruise in an obviously bad makeup/wardrobe job, gyrating/yelling/swearing. It felt like the kind of thing that was funny to the filmmakers, and people who watched it decided it must be funny.

• Locked thread