Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you’re looking at everyday Irish whiskies maybe try Teeling as well? The single pot sill is a bit pricey, but even their base spirit is a bit more “spirit” forward than a Jameson or a Bushmills.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

single pot stool
:itwaspoo:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Got a bottle of High West Double Rye and drat it is really good. I think it was only $36 and tasted better than some 3-figure whiskeys I’ve tasted.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 6, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wild Turkey 101 still kicks rear end and it’s so cheap you’d be foolish not to have a bottle on hand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Got a bottle of High West Double Rye and drat it is really good. I think it was only $36 and tasted better than some 3-figure whiskeys I’ve tasted.

I've pretty much settled on it as my default rye.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m obsessed with the new bottle in bond jack rye. My all time favorite “budget” rye.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It is weirdly a great time for the major labels to be putting out some hits.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

I’m obsessed with the new bottle in bond jack rye. My all time favorite “budget” rye.

Is it super sweet like regular jack?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Lowness 72 posted:

Is it super sweet like regular jack?

As a rye I’d say sweeter than the more peppery ones like mgp, maybe a little more sweet than saz but nowhere near as sweet as old Forrester 100. Makes ahelluva old fashion too

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Wild Turkey 101 still kicks rear end and it’s so cheap you’d be foolish not to have a bottle on hand.

harsh taste. most overrated

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got my boss at the bar I work at a bottle of whistle pig 10 year 100 proof rye and myself their last bottle of caribou Canadian whiskey bourbon. Haven’t cracked either but looking forward to trying both. (caribou is supposed to be the Canadian blantons).

I wouldn’t normally splurge for my boss (he is as also a friend before I started working at the bar and it’s my part time gig) but he just gave me a shot of this on the house at the holiday party.

https://www.folsomwinespirits.com/p...aMaAtwtEALw_wcB

Best tequila I’ve ever tasted.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Fuenteseca makes wonderful tequila. I haven’t had their more expensive offerings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ragle posted:

harsh taste. most overrated

Hard agree. :hmmyes:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Just wanted to pass along that I really really enjoy this: https://baltimorespiritsco.com/epoch-rye-whiskey/

Has anyone else tried it, or, toured them?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

spankmeister posted:

I went stout edition because OP indicated liking pot still whiskey, which is more on the malty, bready, buttery, yeasty, spicy side and less on the bright citrus side.

Ah good point. I instinctively mentioned IPA because the reviews I read on caskmates seemed to favor Stout, although I felt the IPA was great and tasted more like Jamesons with a nice twist and stronger finish.

I continued my bourbon journey and picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920. I was hesitant to go above 100 proof but man I'm glad I did. That's a drat solid second behind EH Taylor small batch for me, but less than half the price and readily available. Absolutely fantastic all the way through with excellent flavors and very smooth. A little warm going down but in a nice, relaxing way. There was nothing harsh about it.

My wife also got me a decanter so I mixed up some 1915 and really enjoyed it. I prefer the 1920, but liked the 1915 more than the 1910 alone. I also only let it sit for a few hours before trying it and I read it gets better if you have it blend for a few weeks, so I'll have to go back and see how it develops. I may also try a 60/40 blend favoring 1920. My ideal would probably be something with the nose and palate (and warmth!) of the 1920 with the more flavorful finish of the 1910.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
OF is also releasing a 10 year in that historical series, will report back after I get a hold of some.

In other news the other day I got lost doing errands, found a middle aged man “biker” bar that is full of 60s nostalgia crap and is very harmlessly weird. Came for a pint, stayed for the hapless bartender who when I asked for an old forester suggested the 100 instead of 86, and then poured me three fingers of the 1920 for about five bucks when I said okay.

I added a solid ninety minutes to those errands, tell you what

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

bloody ghost titty posted:

OF is also releasing a 10 year in that historical series, will report back after I get a hold of some.

In other news the other day I got lost doing errands, found a middle aged man “biker” bar that is full of 60s nostalgia crap and is very harmlessly weird. Came for a pint, stayed for the hapless bartender who when I asked for an old forester suggested the 100 instead of 86, and then poured me three fingers of the 1920 for about five bucks when I said okay.

I added a solid ninety minutes to those errands, tell you what
MSRP on this is like 120 and it's already been getting mixed reviews which is a shame

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I was driving home from OKC and had to stop for gas at a random Chevron station in a little nothing Louisiana town a long distance from anything else.

It had more booze and a better selection than my local ABC store. It had poo poo I'd never even heard of. I like the idea of some lone parish in LA where everyone is a liquor snob

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

GD_American posted:

I was driving home from OKC and had to stop for gas at a random Chevron station in a little nothing Louisiana town a long distance from anything else.

It had more booze and a better selection than my local ABC store. It had poo poo I'd never even heard of. I like the idea of some lone parish in LA where everyone is a liquor snob

There’s a couple of states in the USA which are just the “Drinking States”, where it’s woven into the culture of everyday life differently. You can argue about the full list, but Louisiana and Wisconsin are 1a and 1b no matter what.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Trying to find a 100 proof burb that I can have a couple of bottles of that isn’t impossible to restock. I blind taste tested knob creek 9 year, heaven hill bottled in bond, and four roses single barrel.

Four roses won, bottled got second (almost as good, but the fall off was much faster). And knob creek was a distant 3rd.

Four roses is the easiest to get, but I’m surprised it beat heaven.

Next I’m going to do buffalo trace, blantons and eagle rare. To figure out my “nicer but lower proof sipper. Maybe add a michter's sour mash in there as well for a sub 100 proof). I already own a bottle of Blanton’s and eagle rare, but I’m curious if I will actually prefer them over buffalo or Michter’s.

After that, moving onto figuring out what kind of scotches I want stocked in my home bar!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LionArcher posted:

Trying to find a 100 proof burb that I can have a couple of bottles of that isn’t impossible to restock. I blind taste tested knob creek 9 year, heaven hill bottled in bond, and four roses single barrel.

Four roses won, bottled got second (almost as good, but the fall off was much faster). And knob creek was a distant 3rd.

Next I’m going to do buffalo trace, blantons and eagle rare. To figure out my “nicer but lower proof sipper. Maybe add a michter's sour mash in there as well for a sub 100 proof). I already own a bottle of Blanton’s and eagle rare, but I’m curious if I will actually prefer them over buffalo or Michter’s.

After that, moving onto figuring out what kind of scotches I want stocked in my home bar!

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

I didn’t have that at the bar, but I’ll check to see if the local store has one.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

LionArcher posted:

How much are you looking to spend? At lower prices you could look at things like the Evan Williams, OGD, Benchmark, or Early Times Bottled in Bonds, or Wild Turkey 101/Maker's Mark 101. Going up in price you've got things like New Riff, Bardstown Origin Bottled in Bond, Uncle Nearest 1856 (I think technically not a bourbon but still pretty good), or, depending on your market, even things like Knob Creek 12 year or McKenna 10 year. That's pretty much anywhere from <$20 for the Evan Williams all the way up to about $70 for those last two.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ElectricRelaxation posted:

How much are you looking to spend? At lower prices you could look at things like the Evan Williams, OGD, Benchmark, or Early Times Bottled in Bonds, or Wild Turkey 101/Maker's Mark 101. Going up in price you've got things like New Riff, Bardstown Origin Bottled in Bond, Uncle Nearest 1856 (I think technically not a bourbon but still pretty good), or, depending on your market, even things like Knob Creek 12 year or McKenna 10 year. That's pretty much anywhere from <$20 for the Evan Williams all the way up to about $70 for those last two.

Thanks! Yeah I know or have tasted most of those. For mixing I’m going Evan Williams 100 or old forester. But I think taste wise the only that could match for roses will probably be early times/ maybe wild turkey 101. But good points, I’ll have to blind taste those too.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Thanks! Yeah I know or have tasted most of those. For mixing I’m going Evan Williams 100 or old forester. But I think taste wise the only that could match for roses will probably be early times/ maybe wild turkey 101. But good points, I’ll have to blind taste those too.

Evan Williams BiB is a great value bourbon IMO, and I really wish that their single barrel was still available outside Kentucky. I'm not sure if there's anything else that really comes to mind. One of my old coworkers raved about Frank August, but tbh I had it and it's fine but not worth the $75 price tag around here. I know there's also some flap about Early Times BiB being different since it went from Brown-Forman to Sazerac, but I don't really have much experience with either version and I'm poo poo at tasting notes beyond "I like this/I don't like this" anyway.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
KC12 and RR store picks are the two pricier but not crazy bourbons I could live on forever at this point. If I could only have one “shelf” bourbon on a desert island I’d hard pressed to pick between the two. KC12 is 100 proof but the RR private barrel/store picks are 110 so maybe a little higher than you were interested in.

In my opinion they both have a complexity and depth that a lot of other bourbons don’t or at least not for $60-$75. Things like RR13 are even better but with an MSRP of $150 now it’s tough to justify. I find I can drink lower proof and/or cheaper bourbons much more quickly because a lot of them sort of just taste like corn water (for lack of a better term).

stratego
May 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Find out when your Local Liquor Store gets their 1792 BiB store pick. Then buy a case of it. Worked for me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bardstown Origin bottled in bond is really good for the money IMO.

To me, everything cheaper I've had is markedly worse, and everything better costs significantly more.

I am on the EW BiB train for cheap stuff though. Maybe it's blasphemy, but I'd pick it over WT101 every time.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

stratego posted:

Find out when your Local Liquor Store gets their 1792 BiB store pick. Then buy a case of it. Worked for me.

Just missed their 1792 BIB. lol. I’m working tonight so I can at least test our 1792 we have on the shelf.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My wife has expressed interest in smoky whiskeys after having a smoked old fashioned last night. What’s the best bang-for-your-buck in the peaty scotches? Laphroaig 10? Something else?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elijah Craig Small Batch is good for the price ($30). Like, shockingly good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Klungar posted:

My wife has expressed interest in smoky whiskeys after having a smoked old fashioned last night. What’s the best bang-for-your-buck in the peaty scotches? Laphroaig 10? Something else?

Ledaig 10 is at the absolute sweet spot right now.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I depends on kind of smoke and how aggressive you want it. I like Laphroaig 10, but it's very distinct and some don't like the eucalyptus / medicinal note. Ardbeg 10 (to me) is more campfire smoke. I find Kilchoman Machir Bay more subtle. Lagavulin 16 is more aged smoke, there's way more actual wood and leather notes that I find, but still char, just more holistically part of it.

With that in mind, Laphroaig Select and Ardbeg 5's Wee Beastie are way more aggressive with less age.

I don't recall having Ledaig 10, or at least recently, thanks for the limited selection, Pennsylvania.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Klungar posted:

If you can find it, High West Campfire is very good.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klungar posted:

My wife has expressed interest in smoky whiskeys after having a smoked old fashioned last night. What’s the best bang-for-your-buck in the peaty scotches? Laphroaig 10

You answered your own question right in your OP…

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you've tried a couple of peaty scotches, Laphroaig 10 becomes just a bit weak. Sure it has the big medicinal quality to it, but being bottled at 40/43% depending on your market and chill-filtered it really underdelivers in terms of viscosity, mouthfeel, richness of flavor. It's just a hit of briny iodine and not much more, it falls flat. Ardbeg is much better in this regard being bottled at 46% non-chill filtered. Less iodine but more smoked fish, campfire, creosote. But also way more richness of flavor and better mouthfeel.

I'm having trouble recommending Ardbeg these days however because tbh, since LVMH* took over Ardbeg prices have gone way up and the quality has become inconsistent.

Port Charlotte 10 is the best Islay nowadays I think, it's slightly expensive but not overpriced, and it's got a fantastic Islay experience. Better than Ardbeg nowadays imo. And it's bottled at 50% so good value.

Then Ledaig 10, which is from Tobermory distillery on the isle of Mull, so not an Islay is the best budget choice. It has all the Islay characteristics but better quality than Laphroaig and Ardbeg for the aforementioned reasons, cheaper than Arbdbeg and about the same as Laphroaig.

*Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesy, yeah a super premium company that runs on marketing amd ultra-premiumization more than anything else owns it now. Guess what that does to a brand... The numerous special releases Ardbeg did over the past few years which were way too young and way too expensive have shown. Cherry on top being some absolutely ridiculous NFT debacle.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Looks like local prices/availability are:

Laphroaig 10: $60
Ardbeg 10: $60
Port Charlotte 10: $70
High West Campfire: $80
Lagavulin 16: $100
Ledaig 10: Unavailable

Seems like the question then is if the Port Charlotte higher proof is worth it over the Ardbeg? Which would you go with in this scenario?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I find the Port Charlotte more interesting than the Ardbeg. It’s still smokey, but to me it has more going on underneath that smoke. To be fair I’m quite biased, as I really like the Bruichladdich house style even in their less smokey stuff (even even in their gin)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Klungar posted:

Looks like local prices/availability are:

Laphroaig 10: $60
Ardbeg 10: $60
Port Charlotte 10: $70
High West Campfire: $80
Lagavulin 16: $100
Ledaig 10: Unavailable

Seems like the question then is if the Port Charlotte higher proof is worth it over the Ardbeg? Which would you go with in this scenario?

Port Charlotte for sure. it's nice to see that it hasn't crept up in price much yet, unlike in Europe.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I find the Port Charlotte more interesting than the Ardbeg. It’s still smokey, but to me it has more going on underneath that smoke. To be fair I’m quite biased, as I really like the Bruichladdich house style even in their less smokey stuff (even even in their gin)

Did you try their Octomore? It's super interesting and tasty (albeit ridiculously peated).

Another vote from me for Leadaig 10 for great value for money - that whole group owned by distell is making really nice whiskies right now (Tobermory, also Deanston and Bunnahabhain) - for me, they're hitting a good sweet spot between marketing, catering to tourists and just making really good spirit :allears: