Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Made my first attempt at pizza using Joshua Weissman’s easiest recipe: https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/the-easiest-pizza-dough-ever

I let it rest in the fridge for another 12 hours or so after the initial overnight rise at room temperature due to life happening and it turned out amazing. I used a baking sheet as a peel to put the pizza in a 550 degree F oven on an old baking stone for about 8 minutes. What a revelation! It’s so easy!

Two were ugly and two pretty. I got a decent stretch out of the latter ones, which suggests they needed more rest time after proofing. The crust on the last one was the thinnest as well because I strangely got better. I hand-sliced pepperoni per suggestions, hand-grated low-moisture mozzarella, and the sauce turned out really great cooked on the pizza. There is a severe lack of good pizza where I live and this simple thing is on par with anything I can buy.

This is the third pizza that still has a too-thick outer crust. It’s effectively a 6-8” pizza, not a 8-10”. The fourth one was better but didn’t last long enough for a picture. I added the fresh basil about halfway through the bake when I turned the pizza 180.

I did find out that 00 flour is worthless for getting the dough to slide on to the baking stone. I also have to get the outer crust thickness down. It started to tear and I went on a frantic patching job for a second but I guess I need to go down the rabbit hole and make a proper dough but I’m also scared of sourdough—I didn’t get into it during the pandemic and that seemed like the perfect time. I used KA 00 flour that I found at Publix, is there really an advantage over a good AP or bread flour? This stuff is pricy. I could probably leave it in for another minute for color but taste was on point so far.

Anyway, great inspiration, thread. More pizza incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All of the no-knead dough I've ever made has been easy to tear.

I've had the best success structurally with Dan Richer's everyday dough.
https://ooni.com/blogs/recipes/dan-richer-everyday-pizza-dough

It's not too much extra work once you get the hang of it, and it is night and day for stretching. I think I've torn one dough ball from this recipe and I've made hundreds.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

wallaka posted:

Made my first attempt at pizza using Joshua Weissman’s easiest recipe: https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/the-easiest-pizza-dough-ever

I let it rest in the fridge for another 12 hours or so after the initial overnight rise at room temperature due to life happening and it turned out amazing. I used a baking sheet as a peel to put the pizza in a 550 degree F oven on an old baking stone for about 8 minutes. What a revelation! It’s so easy!

Two were ugly and two pretty. I got a decent stretch out of the latter ones, which suggests they needed more rest time after proofing. The crust on the last one was the thinnest as well because I strangely got better. I hand-sliced pepperoni per suggestions, hand-grated low-moisture mozzarella, and the sauce turned out really great cooked on the pizza. There is a severe lack of good pizza where I live and this simple thing is on par with anything I can buy.

This is the third pizza that still has a too-thick outer crust. It’s effectively a 6-8” pizza, not a 8-10”. The fourth one was better but didn’t last long enough for a picture. I added the fresh basil about halfway through the bake when I turned the pizza 180.

I did find out that 00 flour is worthless for getting the dough to slide on to the baking stone. I also have to get the outer crust thickness down. It started to tear and I went on a frantic patching job for a second but I guess I need to go down the rabbit hole and make a proper dough but I’m also scared of sourdough—I didn’t get into it during the pandemic and that seemed like the perfect time. I used KA 00 flour that I found at Publix, is there really an advantage over a good AP or bread flour? This stuff is pricy. I could probably leave it in for another minute for color but taste was on point so far.

Anyway, great inspiration, thread. More pizza incoming.

Looks tasty! Keep em coming!

For non-stickiness, semolina or cornmeal are the two most common choices. Semolina is expensive and cornmeal is gritty, so I just use cream of wheat.

As for your flour choice, I dunno if the 00 grind makes a difference, but the protein content definitely does. Any decent unbleached bread or pizza flour will make great pizza, and you probably won't notice the taste contribution of the flour itself until you dial in everything else (2-3 day fridge ferment, decent olive oil, enough salt, etc.)

Tearing is managed primarily by a proper rest, a good high-protein flour and developing the gluten (either by kneading, or a combination of high hydration and a long fridge ferment). Managing the "grain" of the dough helps too (there's probably an actual word for this). If you fold your doughballs into hosed up shapes and try to stretch them into a nice round pizza, they usually don't cooperate.

You're on your own with sourdough though, good luck. I tried for months and by the time I gave up, I managed to make a reasonably tasty sourdough that was impossible to work with and browned very poorly. You can make a very tasty dough with instant yeast, it just takes a few days of fridge ferment to really make that flavor happen.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
This crust was probably the best I've ever made - baking steel in my crappy apartment oven. I really need a pizza oven but have no outdoor space for it.

80% hydration with Caputo flour, a little bit of KA's diastic malt powder and about 2.5% salt. Buffalo mozzarella, good olive oil, basil. Delicious.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Got my hands on 2x5lbs of low moisture mozzarella. Looking forward to making some pan pizza with it.

girthy

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Got my hands on 2x5lbs of low moisture mozzarella. Looking forward to making some pan pizza with it.

girthy

Always good to see I'm not the only fan of the dedicated kitchen tape measure.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do you like to shred your mozzarella?

I’ve been using

https://a.co/d/25UhNKd

And it works ok with semi frozen blocks. I usually use one of those anti-cut gloves with it because the grater will slice your fingers open in a hurry when you get to the last bit to shred.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
For shredding I use the same, those microplanes are really good but I'm also missing a lot of flesh from my knuckles thanks to them. For pizza though I tend to use mozz in fine slices rather than shredded if I'm doing pan pizza so I can shingle it. For neapolitan I cut it into strips about 1.5" long by 0.25" square.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
https://imgur.com/gallery/wuPHpJL

First attempt at New York style pizza. Didn’t get it thinned out as much as I would’ve liked but it was still pizza.

Trying a Detroit style pizza tomorrow, finally. I read Monterey Jack and young cheddar is a pretty good replacement for brick cheese but I just saw that the cheddar we got is extra sharp which in my experience doesn’t melt that well. Is this just going end up being a grease pool on top of the pizza if I have it mixed in with cubes Monterey Jack?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

StarkingBarfish posted:

girthy

thicc

incidentally, the places where you can get big mozzarella also sell it pre-shredded

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Preshredded cheese is usually (always?) coated in cellulose which negatively affects its melted texture

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Happiness Commando posted:

Preshredded cheese is usually (always?) coated in cellulose which negatively affects its melted texture

This is why I have achieved my dreams and purchased stupid looking 5 lb blocks, yeah. I neither want it shredded nor coated in anti caking agents.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kosher labeled shredded usually lacks the filler

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

been a little while since I last made some

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

nwin posted:

How do you like to shred your mozzarella?

I’ve been using

https://a.co/d/25UhNKd

And it works ok with semi frozen blocks. I usually use one of those anti-cut gloves with it because the grater will slice your fingers open in a hurry when you get to the last bit to shred.

When I bring home 25lbs of cheese from the local CHEF'STORE there's no way in hell I'm grating that by hand. I use a food processor and fill my freezer up with gallon ziploc bags.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has anyone used a pizza oven insert in a smoker to cook their pizzas? I make mine in my smoker but the top cooks at a slower rate compared to the base.

I figure the insert will solve that issue while still allowing me to use wood pellets for the heat source. I could get an ooni, but I already have the smoker and would prefer to keep using that if possible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have in a regular Webber and it sucks. You have to dome it after like 30 seconds or you get carbon

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fall Dog posted:

Has anyone used a pizza oven insert in a smoker to cook their pizzas? I make mine in my smoker but the top cooks at a slower rate compared to the base.

I figure the insert will solve that issue while still allowing me to use wood pellets for the heat source. I could get an ooni, but I already have the smoker and would prefer to keep using that if possible.

my brother in law got the insert for the masterbuilt 900 series (i think this was a costco exclusive or something) and it works really well. the smokers are listed as being able to get up to 700F but i've seen them hit 800 before.

i have a masterbuilt 560 and have tried various times to cook pizzas on them (specifically neapolitans) with varying degrees of success. i even tried to build my own little insert by taking some bricks and piling them around the pizza steel.

it definitely 'works' but you go through like a whole bag of charcoal for 2-3 pizzas. the hopper is basically a jet engine at that point. i eventually gave up and got an ooni and haven't really looked back

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

what kind of smoker do you have by the way? i'm assuming like a recteq if you have a pellet smoker that reaches pizza temps since most of them cap out around 400-500

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My green mountain grills has a pizza insert that easily gets over 700F. But I never cook anything in it because of analysis paralysis, basically.

Also every single attempt I've ever made to proof yeast for anything fails spectacularly. Even with a perfect 80F proofing chamber, nothing *ever* rises in my house, ever. I put an entire pack of yeast in some dough, use my stand mixer for 10 minutes and hold it at 80F for two hours, and it very slightly poofs up the tiniest bit. On cooking videos, somebody puts 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast in, barely kneads it two folds, sets it in their 60F kitchen next to the blasting A/C and it blows up larger than a loving basketball in 30 minutes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have it near compost?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Rescue Toaster posted:

My green mountain grills has a pizza insert that easily gets over 700F. But I never cook anything in it because of analysis paralysis, basically.

Also every single attempt I've ever made to proof yeast for anything fails spectacularly. Even with a perfect 80F proofing chamber, nothing *ever* rises in my house, ever. I put an entire pack of yeast in some dough, use my stand mixer for 10 minutes and hold it at 80F for two hours, and it very slightly poofs up the tiniest bit. On cooking videos, somebody puts 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast in, barely kneads it two folds, sets it in their 60F kitchen next to the blasting A/C and it blows up larger than a loving basketball in 30 minutes.

Given you've got a proofing chamber I'm going to assume you know the differences between ADY, IDY, fresh yeast etc already, but on the offchance you don't, or the people making the videos you're watching don't, you might want to look into exactly what they're using and make sure you're using the same or if not adjust your quantities accordingly. There are rule-of-thumb conversions between the three.

I've also had problems like this with yeast that was just dead. Check the use by on the yeast you're using, make sure once opened you're storing it in the fridge, and bear in mind once open it might not keep very long. Last year I had an issue like this, turned out my yeast was about 6mo out of date. A new batch made all the difference.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

what kind of smoker do you have by the way? i'm assuming like a recteq if you have a pellet smoker that reaches pizza temps since most of them cap out around 400-500

Me? Mine is a Traeger Ironwood. Their maximum temperature is 500f, but because the chamber itself is quite large, it doesn't direct enough heat on to the toppings. The base will blacken before the crust had a nice colour sometimes.

I'm even more tempted to order the pizza oven insert now. They're supposed to also fit Traeger smokers and it should improve the quality and cooking times. The compromise would be that I can only cook one at a time.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Given you've got a proofing chamber I'm going to assume you know the differences between ADY, IDY, fresh yeast etc already, but on the offchance you don't, or the people making the videos you're watching don't, you might want to look into exactly what they're using and make sure you're using the same or if not adjust your quantities accordingly. There are rule-of-thumb conversions between the three.

I've also had problems like this with yeast that was just dead. Check the use by on the yeast you're using, make sure once opened you're storing it in the fridge, and bear in mind once open it might not keep very long. Last year I had an issue like this, turned out my yeast was about 6mo out of date. A new batch made all the difference.

It's genuinely some Bermuda triangle poo poo. I've bought every variety (instant or active dry), every brand, etc... available. Used filtered (for no chlorine) or bottled water. Things like, heat a cup of water to 105F and check with thermapen, put a pinch of flour or surgar in, put ENTIRE packet of instant yeast in... absolutely nothing happens, it all sinks to the bottom, not a single bubble. Then repeat this over and over months apart, different brands, different types ADY/IDY, packets/jars, putting sugar or flour in as 'food' or just doing nothing with just yeast & water, loving whatever I can get my hands on and try.

Maybe 1/10 or 1/20 times all of a sudden I'll get like a loving half-inch tall head of foam on it from the yeast because suddenly I got a live one. But everything would seem to say that like 90%+ of the yeast sold in my metro area (population over a quarter million) is absolutely completely dead as a doornail, and has been an ongoing problem for years. Which doesn't seem all that likely. But it's not like warm water & yeast proofing in a cup is total rocket science, so the list of things I could be doing wrong seems pretty short.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Have you tried a cold ferment

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Have you checked to see if there’s something extremely radioactive about your house

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

We had this issue in the Bread thread. Have you tried getting somebody else to open the packet for you so your own personal curse doesn't affect it?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sooo I've never had a homemade pizza that I actually liked, or at least preferred over a pizza shop. Recently though I got the stuff to try and recreate my favorite local style of pizza - Massachusetts south shore bar pizza.

And it actually came out really good! At least for my first time doing this.

I do have a question though. The recipe appears to be a no-knead, I essentially just put the flour, salt, yeast, water and oil in a stand mixer until it formed a ball and then refrigerated it for a day.

I then let it come to room temperature, divided it into pans and let it sit for a half hour or so, and then proceed with making pizza.

My question is, if I wanted to transport the dough to somewhere to make pizzas, at what point should I do that? I'm thinking I should just divide it after the original refrigeration and then keep it cool until we are getting ready to make pizza.

I guess I don't actually know where the proofing is happening, in the few hours when it comes to room temp, in the half hour sitting in the pan? I'm a total rookie when it comes to dough.

Edit: Actually found a picture of the recipe

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 22, 2024

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

wallaka posted:

Decided to copy you

First time making a pizza in a while since I attempted a "breakfast" pizza some time ago and had all kinds of issues, this one was a lot easier. Wasn't sure of my oven's max temp so set it at 500 and had it bake a little longer than the recipe to get a bit more browning. Kept one of the other dough balls in the fridge to make another this weekend because why not, and froze the other two for my weight's sake.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ATK's Detroit style recipe. Detroit style has pretty much always been my favorite but it has the added benefit of not having to fart around with trying to shape/stretch/move dough around (which I'm very bad at) like you do when you're making a regular crust.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bird with big dick posted:

ATK's Detroit style recipe. Detroit style has pretty much always been my favorite but it has the added benefit of not having to fart around with trying to shape/stretch/move dough around (which I'm very bad at) like you do when you're making a regular crust.

I pulled inspiration for my pan pizza from this recipe. I cocked an eyebrow at the "8 tbsp of oil around the edges" part though, 2-3 tbsp gives me a very good crisp

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bonus ice creamshots, also some finger action.

I subbed diastatic malt for sugar in the dough, did 60/40 AP/00 KA flour when I realized it was about a whole kg of flour and that poo poo’s pricy. Mixed/kneaded in the stand mixer Friday night and let it rise in the fridge until Sunday, whereupon subdivided etc. etc. and put half the dough into the freezer. I got some semolina flour for the stretching and the $20 amazon peel and that poo poo is magic, worth every penny. I also found a pampered chef 3 qt. ceramic Dutch oven while searching for a bowl that I haven’t seen since we moved in this house and put it and its lid in the oven for thermal mass. I preheated it and the pizza stone for an hour while cooking the sauce. The ice bath to cool the sauce was super effective.

Blasted the first one with full broiler for 6 minutes. It looks burned but tastes great. Second pizza got 3 minutes of broiler and 9 minute total cook time. Next one will get 4/9, the first one was devoured immediately. The second one was good too but was missing something. The ice cream looks like poop but tastes like it has $8 worth of 90% dark chocolate with sea salt in it. Which it does.

https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/real-new-york-style-pizza-at-home

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Well poo poo y’all, I went and competed at the Pizza Expo and won the non-traditional pizza division and am now a world pizza champion?! It’s been an incredibly wild ride of a week and I had no expectation of ending up at the top, so my head is still reeling. Over 500 people competed and only 5 walked away as world champions. Grateful and humbled to be amongst some pizza giants.

The pizza I made had balsamic glazed grilled grapes, fontina, mortadella, burrata, pistachio and almond crumbles, lemon zest, mint, basil, and smoked sea salt.
Proud of what I was able to make and happy with how it all turned out, still beside myself with it all.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 22, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Holy hell, congratulations!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow, that owns! Congratulations!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Amazing!! Congrats man!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Holy poo poo, congratulations! That pizza looks delicious (just as all the other stuff you’ve posted before).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Amazing, dude, congrats!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Hell yeah. Congrats dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002