Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Edit: Wrong thread, Manga spoilers.

Deki fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why can't they animate the ant arc?

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Mostly because they started over from the beginning, and the arc itself is pretty long. The original series was 92 episodes and ended just before the Ant arc started. They're going at a breakneck pace this time (which has been to the show's detriment in my opinion much like the early episodes of FMA: Brotherhood), but it seems unlikely they'll be able to fit it in 45 episodes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because they are being hired for what... 36 episodes? They will end with the Spider arc, and that's rushing it a bit.
If the audience rating is good, maybe they will make a second season, and bit a bit they will reach the ant arc.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I don't remember much about the original anime other than the Joker wannabe guy. But the first two new episodes where pretty good, they have a nice pace I think.

If this ant arc really is so crazy long they could re-write it shorter.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jigoku San posted:

I don't remember much about the original anime other than the Joker wannabe guy. But the first two new episodes where pretty good, they have a nice pace I think.

Maybe a tad but it's long because a frickin lot of stuff happens in it, not because there was filler or anything.

Also, screw editing for time. Do it RIGHT damnit! :argh:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jigoku San posted:

It's literally a third of the existing series in length, like 110~ chapters or so. There's no way to shorten it to fit within 36 episodes by itself, ignoring the fact that you have the other two thirds of the show leading up to it. You'd be butchering the hell out of the entire overall storyline and previously animated arcs.

Unless they announce more seasons after the initial 36, I wouldn't expect them to attempt the Ant Lion arc at all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I thought this was interesting in the DBZ Kai thread so we'll see how long I last doing it here. I didn't realize how much they were blazing through the original material with this new show. I guess they're assuming everyone already knows the story from the manga/first anime, but it sure would be nice to have a definitive version of the show that doesn't rely on previous knowledge...

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5

Hey maybe they'll rush through the material from the first anime and season 2 will be all about Ants!

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Jigoku San posted:

I don't remember much about the original anime other than the Joker wannabe guy

HOW DARE YOU?
Hisoka is not a rip off of Joker, they are both amazing villains on their own right.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Is episode 3 up yet for anyone at crunchyroll? I clicked on it and it said it's up for members only. I'm a member for 8 more months so I should be able to see it.

e: Yeah, i'm a premium member for 8 more months.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 16, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Is episode 3 up yet for anyone at crunchyroll? I clicked on it and it said it's up for members only. I'm a member for 8 more months so I should be able to see it.

Looks like it's only available to premium members right now? Sorry, it isn't obvious from your post if you have a paid account or not.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
Hisoka turned the man's arms into flowers?!?! What?! How on earth are they gonna show off all the violent deaths if they made the first guy's arms turn into flowers?? Ughh, come on new anime, don't disappoint me!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Feriowind posted:

Hisoka turned the man's arms into flowers?!?! What?! How on earth are they gonna show off all the violent deaths if they made the first guy's arms turn into flowers?? Ughh, come on new anime, don't disappoint me!

In fairness, it's pretty close to the manga. In the manga when we see him, they're just gone. No blood, no arms lying on the floor, and Hisoka certainly isn't holding them. We'll see if they violence anything up next episode.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Feriowind posted:

Uhng! This doesn't bode well. In addition to looking stupid it also violated that character's established power-set. That scene was really tame compared to some of the poo poo that's coming up (mild manga spoilers) so if they're edging away from violence now I foresee some pretty hefty changes coming up. Which is too bad because a constant fear of on-screen violence is why I couldn't stand the first anime.

Edit: In case you were wondering, this is what the scene looked like in the original manga.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 16, 2011

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Well this show is airing on sunday morning slot so it's kinda expected they would tone down the violence from the comic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Well this show is airing on sunday morning slot so it's kinda expected they would tone down the violence from the comic.

The issue is more that violence is in the DNA of this series. It's constant at times as well as often integral to the plot in places. The idea of making an anime for this show in a timeslot that can't show too much blood is pretty drat stupid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The moment of truth will be the heart scene.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's better than the first anime, in that one Hisoka just throws a playing card at a guy, doesn't even hit him.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The moment of truth will be the heart scene.

That's a good one, and the first anime held back some info about a character until that scene, rather than needlessly give the surprise away earlier like the manga does.

Maybe they were just rushing the setup to the exam, only covered half an original-episode this time...

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
New episode is out. I find it absolutely hysterical that even now we're not out of book 1.

Also today's gore scene held a bit more promise for future episodes than the arms-into-flowers scene from last episode. Basically, they showed the cards go into the guy but didn't show them actually go into his face or any blood pouring from the wounds like they did in the manga. A tad disappointing, but acceptable I suppose. As long as they don't start doing stupid poo poo like cutting out or altering deaths in the next episode I think we'll be good to go.

Edit: Oh, and I hope they got confirmation from Togashi that Leorio's deceased friend was actually a kid when he died (and that they were the same age and poor at the time) because I don't think we've heard gently caress all about him ever in the manga. If they didn't and Togashi ever decides to follow this plot thread up in the manga the added scene will really gently caress with continuity. Still no Kite either :/

Edit 2: Link for anime-only crowd who are wondering what they cut. Hisoka is a loving brutal bastard... :ohdear:

Edit 3: AND ANOTHER THING! I just noticed that Hisoka let the monkey get away in this version. For some reason this pisses me off more than it should.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 23, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they implied that the dude took a card to the forehead, but never actually showed it, or any blood. I hope this doesn't end up being too neutered, would quite suck to still have to recommend the original series over this just for accuracy's sake. But again this scene was actually more explicit than in the original anime. Thinking back, poo poo didn't get real until the first OVA.

OK watching further into the episode they do get slightly more graphic about the dude's face, but so far the two animes are pretty much splitting the difference between each other and the manga.

We're also missing quite a bit of Tompa fuckery. His original trick of the diarrhea-inducing sodas was uncensored from the original series, but he's done gently caress all since then. In the first show he plays a much more active role in jacking up the laptop nerd as well as the members of our gang of 4.

readingatwork posted:

Edit 3: AND ANOTHER THING! I just noticed that Hisoka let the monkey get away in this version. For some reason this pisses me off more than it should.

I thought it was kinda funny how he jumped up and ran away. Bloodlessly carding him in the back like in the first show doesn't take too much away from it IMO.

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
Watched the latest episode.

I am getting pretty disappointed with how much they're shying away from any of the blood and gore in the series. Though I was rather irked by how they changed the scene where Hisoka takes out the other applicants, I could still handle that. However, not even showing a trace of blood on the card that he took out of the guy's head was just ridiculous. We know what he just did, why bother hiding the blood?! Even One Piece shows blood, so what's the problem?

Hisoka being a total creep with Gon was done great though. Looove his pleased expression when he tells Gon that he and Leorio passed!

Basic23
Oct 30, 2007

I'll go and buy a small mirror somewhere and practice smiling
best scene of the latest episode http://i.imgur.com/3K8IZ.jpg

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Feriowind posted:

I am getting pretty disappointed with how much they're shying away from any of the blood and gore in the series. Though I was rather irked by how they changed the scene where Hisoka takes out the other applicants, I could still handle that. However, not even showing a trace of blood on the card that he took out of the guy's head was just ridiculous. We know what he just did, why bother hiding the blood?! Even One Piece shows blood, so what's the problem?

Hisoka being a total creep with Gon was done great though. Looove his pleased expression when he tells Gon that he and Leorio passed!

Seconding the concern over the lack of blood, always something that annoys me. Other than that though, the last episode was the best so far. I'd say it covered 8.33-8.75 going by the little chart that's in the OP. Seems like the pacing is pretty eccentric overall then.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Seconding the concern over the lack of blood, always something that annoys me. Other than that though, the last episode was the best so far. I'd say it covered 8.33-8.75 going by the little chart that's in the OP. Seems like the pacing is pretty eccentric overall then.

It's the little ways that they alter the plot to get around showing gore that bug me the most. For example, that last guy didn't get killed on camera in the manga. Instead he, Leorio, and Kurapika all put their head's together and ran in THREE separate directions instead of one and it's made to seem like the third guy got away until after Gon's fight with Hisoka. After all that's over though the scene cuts to a tree in the forest where the guy is left impaled upside-down onto the tree. The idea being that even "getting away" wouldn't have necessarily spared you from Hisoka's test. Leorio passed because he came back, Kurapika because he thought of the splitting up plan, and Gon because got a hit in. The last guy on the other hand just ran so he "failed". It's one of many subtleties the anime has so far missed out on and it's starting to get on my nerves.

That aside I actually liked most of the episode. Hisoka's fight was stylized but got the point across well enough and at least characters ARE dying on screen which is reassuring.

Also, Hisoka's pedo face is the best face. Just sayin'

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man this is weird. So far they're actually showing more violence than the first show, but doing it in a way that's more censored at the same time. That and the crazy pace is abridging every character interaction all to hell. But then when an important bit of character development comes up (Hisoka's bit here) they slam on the brakes and pace it closer to the first anime.

At this point all we can do is trust that the show runners have selected the best bits to leave in and hopefully in hindsight we won't miss too much of what was left out... :ohdear:

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basic23 posted:

best scene of the latest episode http://i.imgur.com/3K8IZ.jpg

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Feriowind posted:

Yeah, the VA did a great job with the creepiness too. Hisoka is my favorite so that was great to see!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
This week's ep did an interesting thing with the Gourmet Hunters, eliminating the sushi section of the exam and just applying Menchi's judgement to how they prepared the roast pig. It's a pity that it also meant Hanzo's advantage in this contest had to go. Then they extended the spider eagle egg section to add an extra challenge with updrafts instead of simply climbing back up

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 8, 2011

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Perigryn posted:

This week's ep did an interesting thing with the Gourmet Hunters, eliminating the sushi section of the exam and just applying Menchi's judgement to how they prepared the roast pig. It's a pity that it also meant Hanzo's advantage in this contest had to go. Then they extended the spider eagle egg section to add an extra challenge with updrafts instead of simply climbing back up
At first I thought this meant the sushi part was filler, but going back to the manga I realized that wasn't the case. Which is disappointing because I thought the sushi section in the manga and original anime was hysterical. Shame, but I guess the show has to on at a quicker pace.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A completely pointless test where the proctor was being unfair and petulant is part of HxH's weird charm, but if some things have to go that was a good choice. It would have probably taken up a full episode on its own.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Personally, I'm hoping that the "toned down" nature of this adaptation is a bait-and-switch tactic. They'll make us think everything is time slot-appropriate, and then...bam, show the most gruesome deaths uncensored later in the series.

...A man can dream, can't he? Plus, I'm really hoping that something like this is the case, or else the later arcs involving the Genei Ryodan will seem especially sanitized. :(

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Personally, I'm hoping that the "toned down" nature of this adaptation is a bait-and-switch tactic. They'll make us think everything is time slot-appropriate, and then...bam, show the most gruesome deaths uncensored later in the series.

...A man can dream, can't he? Plus, I'm really hoping that something like this is the case, or else the later arcs involving the Genei Ryodan will seem especially sanitized. :(

Well, at least they aren't going the Deadman Wonderland route where they left everything in, but with the entire lighting of show consisting of bright beams of light or dark shadows. I don't even think the DVDs were uncensored.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still throwing out scenes left and right, but so far it doesn't really feel like that much is missing if you don't compare it to the first anime. And once again in an odd turn this anime is more hardcore than the first. In the first show Menchi mentions that there is a deep river at the bottom of the gorge. This time it's implied that dudes are straight up falling to their deaths. Anyway show didn't really switch from 'whimsical fantasy adventure' to 'oh poo poo that's a lot of blood' until this next test coming up.

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Yeah, the real test of censorship is to see what'll happen when Killua rips that dude's heart out.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Groghammer posted:

Yeah, the real test of censorship is to see what'll happen when Killua rips that dude's heart out.
And earlier, to a lesser degree, what he does to those guys after the ball game with Gon and Netero.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

Perigryn posted:

And earlier, to a lesser degree, what he does to those guys after the ball game with Gon and Netero.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's to a lesser degree if you slice off a guy's head, limbs and body into various parts. :(

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Perigryn posted:

Not a drop of blood there too, just like the old series

bondster
May 6, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

I liked the way it was handled though, if you didn't know it was coming then it would be certainly surprising.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

bondster posted:

I liked the way it was handled though, if you didn't know it was coming then it would be certainly surprising.

I'm on the fence still on that one. What bothered me more though was the scene with Hisoka making the pyramid out of cards. In the manga people are giving him looks as he makes his weird noises in kind of a funny moment while in the anime it's just him alone. The exclusion of this kind of hints to me that Madhouse doesn't really "get" what HxH is all about. It's not a dark or depressing series by nature but rather a lighthearted adventure romp, albeit one that takes a brutally realistic approach to the consequences of these overpowered and insane characters roaming around. It's not supposed to be taken that seriously!(Think how One Piece does things)

That said this approach could work somewhat if they hadn't removed all the gore. What we'd of lost in levity we could have made up for in intensity. However they DID remove the blood so now the show has neither. Which is too bad because a fun tone is one of the things this manga always did pretty well.

I hope someone else picks up this series once this season is done. This BS is starting to make me depressed. :(

Fun sparring match with Netero though...

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pyromancer posted:

I'm still not happy with how much they gave away about Killua's abilities. Old show you never actually see him touch the guy, and doesn't even kill him. I'm thinking now that half the time this new series seems more violent simply because they don't take the time to show anyone not dying so it's just assumed.

Still wish they had handled it more like the first anime, THAT SCENE was a real :stare: moment for me as it seemed to come out of nowhere. Now it wouldn't have the same impact for first time viewers...

e: not to be totally negative, the b-ball scene, while shortened, was awesome to watch. Great animation that should serve future fight scenes well.

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8

• Locked thread