Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I knew what the gently caress was going on in the latest issues. I don't remember who anyone is or where they met or what this whole ant thing was about either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Doesn't HxH air in the morning as a kids show? Would be kind of weird if it did show all the gore from the manga.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RajCooper posted:

Doesn't HxH air in the morning as a kids show? Would be kind of weird if it did show all the gore from the manga.

Possibly true, though that would beg the question of why they chose a series as grim as HxH to air as a kid's show in the first place. It's NOT a kid's show and no amount of sanitation will make it age appropriate for that demographic.

I mean, some of the general themes of the YorkNew auction alone... (body selling, mafia internal dynamics, vengeance, dealing with the fact that you just committed murder, etc)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 24, 2011

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A filler ending would solve all of those problems! Kurapica can make up with the ryodan after Gon gives everyone a speech about friendship.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gon DOES give a speech about friendship.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
They skipped a whole bit with Kurapika's fight, didn't they?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It looks like they're putting it into the next episode.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yessss, Franky's voice was perfect for that blue chump.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Reiche posted:

Yessss, Franky's voice was perfect for that blue chump.
I'm glad I'm not the only one recognized it.

But then again, he's pretty hard to miss, you can guess it from his first line. Still great though!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Oops, managed to skip a week. Oh well, catching up is always fun. I did NOT remember those Drakengard flying babies from the first show :stare:

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8
    8    |   12.8-13
    9    |   14-15.9

The bit with Kurapica's fight, I thought they skipped the entire second half, but I also noticed that the number on their side didn't change from 1 to 2 wins yet, so maybe they'll work some more of it in next time. We also missed some nice Hisoka sadism from old #15, wouldn't mind having that scene tossed back in either.

Hey Kurapica u mad bro?
FUUUUUUUUUhttp://i.imgur.com/QWyGx.jpgUUUUUUUUUCK

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I love that blue guy dished out his VA's trademark "YATTE YARUZE" line. Anyone who watched Dancouga or played SRW alpha series knows where I'm at.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im not sure why people were wondering about Kurapika's fight, that was handled exactly the same as the manga.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, it looks like a lot of the complaints of things being cut out aren't actual cuts so much as things that weren't in the original manga to begin with.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I wish they hadn't shown Majtani's rap sheet at the start of the battle. I thought it was great that he was built up to be this big scary guy in the manga until we hear his thoughts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Aah there's my Hisoka scene I was missing last week. They even Matrix'd it up nicely for me.

Just noticed that it's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on the ED song. I thought they were dumb J-Metal for a long time but their song in the Kaiji 2 opening really grew on me after a while. Still not as good as Maximum the Hormone though :)

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8
    8    |   12.8-13
    9    |   14-15.9, most of 15 is skipped
    10   |   covers the rest of 15

KoB posted:

Im not sure why people were wondering about Kurapika's fight, that was handled exactly the same as the manga.

In the '99 show it moves right from Kurapica's fight into Schrodinger's Majitani. This time they skipped ahead and then jumped back to cover that material this week. It can suck to lose so much flavor dialogue from the first anime but overall this is paced way better so far.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Just checked the newest episode on Crunchyroll and they censored the part with Killua vs Johness pretty bad. The hole in dude's chest was smaller, and Killua had the heart in a bag held out until it stopped beating. No crushing it, no creepy fingernails while it happened.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Edge Zero posted:

Just checked the newest episode on Crunchyroll and they censored the part with Killua vs Johness pretty bad. The hole in dude's chest was smaller, and Killua had the heart in a bag held out until it stopped beating. No crushing it, no creepy fingernails while it happened.

Putting the bad in the guys hand at the end was perfect though.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I dunno, I consider it a copout. Old version was better, imo. They didn't take out the creepy hand part entirely, even, they just didn't use it in the actual death scene. Lame.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

genki posted:

I dunno, I consider it a copout. Old version was better, imo. They didn't take out the creepy hand part entirely, even, they just didn't use it in the actual death scene. Lame.

Of course it's a copout, we have known for months this anime would be censored, it's being aired in a morning sunday toon show, the creators said as much.

The important thing is what they did, exactly. For now they are censoring the graphical violence, the results of the actions, but no the actions themselves, that's the important thing. Killua still was a bad mofo ripping out the heart, they just couldn't show the heart itself, so they used the cloth bag trick to avoid that. Even then the heart still pumping made it creepy, and how he gave it back in the end was cool as hell.

Before this new version began airing, some people were fearing a total kiddification, but thank god it's being very faithful, even more than the original anime, with the exception of the already commented blood on screen issue.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

At least it isn't censoring it as awkwardly as when my local Fox affiliate aired From Dusk Till Dawn and the Gecko Brothers went down to the Kitty Twister.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I think Killua's fight in trick tower was a bit underwhelming compared to the original scene.

Putting the guys heart in his hand instead of crushing it seemed a bit too "nice" for Killua.

I understand that they have a lot to pack into fewer episodes, but I'm afraid that will seriously cut into the character development. :ohdear:

The animation is superb, the beginning theme song is a different style, but it still has that "feel-good-adventure" vibe to it.

So far I like the new series but I can't tell if I'm just biased or if I genuinely like the new stuff.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sharkelberry posted:

I think Killua's fight in trick tower was a bit underwhelming compared to the original scene.

Putting the guys heart in his hand instead of crushing it seemed a bit too "nice" for Killua.

I understand that they have a lot to pack into fewer episodes, but I'm afraid that will seriously cut into the character development. :ohdear:

The animation is superb, the beginning theme song is a different style, but it still has that "feel-good-adventure" vibe to it.

So far I like the new series but I can't tell if I'm just biased or if I genuinely like the new stuff.

I dont know about that, he still ripped a dudes heart out with his bare hands and then mocked him by actually giving it back after he asked.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I hadn't seen the original series or read the manga before this, and always meant to get around to it. Now that I'm watching the 2011 series, I've watched a couple of the originals and will try to catch up at some point.

What I'm noticing is that a lot of this thread is people complaining about the lack of violence; I think Killua ripping out a guy's still-beating heart and handing to him after he dies is just as effective at showing how ruthless he is as ripping it out and crushing it, but maybe I'm just an idiot. I get wanting to have the original work be represented faithfully, but is most of the stuff they took out really that necessary? I'm really enjoying it so far.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Is the ending single out yet?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course it's a copout, we have known for months this anime would be censored, it's being aired in a morning sunday toon show, the creators said as much.

The important thing is what they did, exactly. For now they are censoring the graphical violence, the results of the actions, but no the actions themselves, that's the important thing. Killua still was a bad mofo ripping out the heart, they just couldn't show the heart itself, so they used the cloth bag trick to avoid that. Even then the heart still pumping made it creepy, and how he gave it back in the end was cool as hell.

Before this new version began airing, some people were fearing a total kiddification, but thank god it's being very faithful, even more than the original anime, with the exception of the already commented blood on screen issue.

It's being... Okay about fidelity. It's accurate to where they're not loving up the long term continuity but they're still changing lot's of little things here and there that don't really need changing and that's got me really nervous/pissed off.

I still have no drat clue what possessed the execs to air this thing as a kid's show. Seriously, what the hell where they thinking!?

Also:

genki posted:

You can't really see it in the manga anyway unless you are really looking for it so it's not a huge loss (it's only in one panel when he's holding the heart).

Actually this episode wasn't that bad considering what they're dealing with. My biggest gripe this time around was actually that the tone was (and has been throughout the series) very different from the manga. HxH is a very fast-paced and energetic series in which death just isn't that big of a deal. However the anime keeps trying to go for these long moody dread filled scenes which aren't "bad" but sometimes feel like they're from another show. It's not a deal breaker but it's part of a larger trend of the creators "not getting it" which has me worried. We'll just have to see though I guess.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Is the ending single out yet?

I read somewhere it wont be released until early Jan 2012. Don't remember where that was.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
Everyone's made some pretty good points here regarding the conversion. I'm not going to summarize them all, but I feel like one important thing has been overlooked: visual power. That's really what this new anime lacks, I feel. The art style rounds everything, softens everything, makes it "easier on the eyes," even. Much like recent Japanese historical drama, everything is colored in a certain shade to make it blend together and easier to watch.

Hunter x Hunter the manga is very unbalanced. The art style changes from panel to panel sometimes, peoples' faces twist and contort. But that's what I like about it, that's what keeps me reading. You never know, in terms of plot OR art, what's lurking around the next corner. The anime staff can't replicate everything, but what do they bring to the table instead? Smoothness? Who wants that? What have they sacrificed visual impact for?

Maybe they did their best with the cloth thing, maybe it was just a cop-out. But the bottom line, and the most important question, I think, is: did the scene actually leave an impact on you? Did it have more visual impact than these two pages?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

molokidan posted:

Maybe they did their best with the cloth thing, maybe it was just a cop-out. But the bottom line, and the most important question, I think, is: did the scene actually leave an impact on you? Did it have more visual impact than these two pages?

Man, when Togashi really goes all out on character detail, he's one of the most fantastic artists I've ever seen. The way he draws Killua there is what really draws me to that scene in the manga. Unfortunately its basically impossible to show such a drastic shift in detail used as a point of emphasis in the anime. Rather than showing how creepy and cold-blooded Killua is through his facial expression, it focused on the still beating-heart for which I think the anime did a perfectly acceptable job at.

It still bums me out that we probably won't ever get a truly faithful anime version which doesn't censor any of the violence. And it's that reason why we probably won't get to see the Chimera Ant arc animated outside an OVA release way down the road (I want to see it animated soooooooo bad). Even then, who knows what would be cut out because of how down-right brutal it is.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Reiche posted:

Man, when Togashi really goes all out on character detail, he's one of the most fantastic artists I've ever seen.

I agree. Killua's face is great, but Jones' face during the smashing scene is an completely different kind of genius. The warped expression on his face draws images of Munsch's "The Scream," but without being so overt as to actually copying it or even parodying it. It plays on the readers' psychological method of image reading. With this, Togashi creates a scream more powerful than any sound effect or speech bubble could.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
The violence isn't graphic but people do still die constantly. I can't think of any shonen, much less a sunday morning cartoon, that has as much death in it. At least 100 people had to have died in the exam by now.\

Didn't Madhouse do the Black Lagoon OVAs? It'd be awesome if the action for this was the same but that seems like pure fantasy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Tons of mooks get killed in Naruto, especially during the current arc.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, though they tend to die facelessly in the background and in large explosions.

Until I read this thread, I'd assumed the anime was going to run through everything until it joined in with the finally resumed manga. The reason the ant arc isn't suited to animation is all the chapters with just narration that were awful. Unless they were outright replaced in the volumes it would take a lot to make the anime version of them not suck. If they don't do greed island or even the tower I'll be baffled and disappointed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Reiche posted:

Unfortunately its basically impossible to show such a drastic shift in detail used as a point of emphasis in the anime.

Actually Soul Eater's anime handled this quite well.

Also, seconding concerns about the lack of impact in the animation. It's not BAD per se, but it sure doesn't feel like the artists are having fun with it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm enjoying this for the fairly standard shounen series that it is. I'm probably better off for not having not read the manga or seen the prior anime adaptation. Right now the way the violence is depicted seems about right for a show aimed at a slightly younger audience. The things they're willing to show are about on par with what you'd get from an episode of DBZ.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm enjoying this series, but really? Is Episode 13 really going to be a Clip Show?

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
For anybody who still cares, there's a short interview in Japanese with the director of the anime here.

He talks about how "the fun of Hunter x Hunter starts after the exam." This ploy is similar to how Hino was trying to save the dying Gundam Age by constantly saying "Just watch episode 3! It'll get better! No, I mean episode 5! No, I mean after the midpoint!" Could be a flag.

He also says how they made this anime because they wanted younger fans who didn't know about HxH to get into it, and know its charm. Because of that, they've been doing their best to stay away from grotesque nature in the anime. The hardest challenge for them is figuring out how to remove all that from the story. But, despite that, the director claims, the atmosphere of the anime will change greatly once the show heads into the Zoldyck family and Ryodan arcs.

The thing that really bothers me about this is that they won't be able to remove everything, fully, in order to make it the kid-friendly anime they need to fill their coffers and gain the business success they're after. Anyone who's read the manga can easily think or four or five points crucial to the plot that contain the kind of "grotesque nature" that this guy is talking about. In the end, it's just going to be unbalanced, they'll have to skirt around things more and more as the series goes on, and it'll be some mutation stuck halfway between Togashi's original conception and their neutered version. And forget about the Chimera ant arc.

molokidan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

To be fair, the fun really does start after the Exam. It's when Nen is introduced that the series goes from good to great. In my opinion, anyway.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Well just drat me straight to hell.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2012

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!

Syrant posted:

Where is it people are keeping up to date with this? I can't find the latest episode (16?) outside of Crunchyroll.

Try to use Google with keywords(I bet you didn't). It's against forum policy to share pirate links when there's an American pay site that sells it (Or something along those lines I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah been neglecting the poo poo out of this, having a clip episode threw me into despair :emo:

But the hunty island arc has been going pretty well so that's good at least.

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8
    8    |   12.8-13
    9    |   14-15.9, most of 15 is skipped
    10   |   covers the rest of 15
    11   |   16
    12   |   16-16.9
    13   |   is a clip show, really?
    14   |   16.9-21, skipping the battleship-teamwork filler arc
    15   |   22
    16   |   23

Random thoughts from the last few episodes:
Anybody notice Gon and Killua put their tags back on while they were leaving the boat. I always thought it was a nice touch that Hisoka and that bolt dude didn't take theirs off because they give no fucks, but I'm thinking it's just an animation error for these two.

When I watched the original anime I didn't even notice that the bit with the battleship was filler, that's how well it fits in with the rest of the show. For those who haven't seen it, after the 3rd trial everyone has to restore this old battleship (with teamwork!) in order to get over to the island. Also a typhoon is coming to kill them all so they have to hurry. Teamwork!

Also I think they genderswapped the sniper that Hisoka's friend took out, don't want to hurt girls or something?

Digging the hell out of the Spanish guitar track they've been using lately. No clue how it works with this part of the story but it does.

Continuing on with the weird pendulum censorship this new series has going on, this time Hisoka shoves his target's corpse right in our face. In the original anime he just steals his hat, with death being implied by a bunch of bloodbutterflies. We do miss seeing Hisoka wearing a pimp new hat for a scene :(

• Locked thread