Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

But, it'll still be a long time before we get to see it animated.

He's gotta have something else, right? I don't see him as being dumb/naive enough to design his nen abilities purely around killing Spiders.

That's literally the entire point of his Nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ViggyNash posted:

He's gotta have something else, right? I don't see him as being dumb/naive enough to design his nen abilities purely around killing Spiders.

You're REALLY underestimating just how much he hates those guys.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Isn't it implied he was planning on dying when it was all done to go see his firends and family. I remember that being fairly dark.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Senor Candle posted:

That's literally the entire point of his Nen.

Not really, the dowsing chain, the healing chain and the judgment chain can be used against anyone.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Not really, the dowsing chain, the healing chain and the judgment chain can be used against anyone.

It can be, but every facet of his ability was thought up in order to more easily hunt down and kill members of the spiders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He can also just make up new nen abilities after he finishes his Uchiha Cosplay Wall.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kurtofan posted:

That's because he needs to use the judgement/healing chain on himself and I imagine he thought the power he'd gain from not being able to douse and such on others wasn't worth the tradeoff of not being able to track their associates and so on. His power is built around killing spiders because it wouldn't work anywhere near as well otherwise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
His abilities are built around killing Spiders, but Dowsing Chain, in particular, has plenty of unrelated uses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Only the Chain Jail mentions the Spiders at all in its conditions. He can use the Judgement Chain and the healing one any time he's in red-eye mode, and the Dowsing Chain can be used freely. He also has another chain on his index finger that we've never seen him use. I suppose the Chain Jail is the only one that's directly useful in combat, but it's not like all nen abilities need to be combat focused. I mean, Biscuit seems to be doing pretty okay with her masseuse.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Actually, Dowsing Chain can also be used in combat; we've seen Kurapica deflect bullets with it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Actually, Dowsing Chain can also be used in combat; we've seen Kurapica deflect bullets with it.

But it's not any more useful for that than just holding an ordinary, well-made chain. His master emphasized that summoned objects can't be all that much better than real objects ("a nen-user isn't stronger than God"), so they have to be given special properties to make them useful.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Who is he going to be fighting once he isn't hunting down the eyes? I'd imagine he'd just gently caress off to some isolated forest or something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Emperor Time is only limited to his red eye state, which he seems to have little trouble activating. Keep in mind that's an ability that lets him 100% any nen type. Even post Spiders he'll be fine.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Well, getting the eyes back and fighting the spiders are actually two separate ordeals. The spiders didn't keep them. They even said at one point everything they steal gets sold once Chrollo is done admiring it.
He's got plenty on his plate either way and it seems like he made a lot of progress on the former regardless of his nen restrictions.

As for what comes when he's done.. well... He obviously didn't think that far ahead. I'm sure we'll get answers to that in a dozen years or so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Didn't we all just watch the final episode? The journey is more important than the destination. By the time he's finished hunting the Spiders he'll already have made all these connections and have all these other duties to take care of. Like being a mafia boss: those things don't run themselves you know.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Kurapika seems like the type to either retire to a small village to live in obscurity or hang around big cities doing bounty hunting once he's done with the spiders and collecting the eyes. Assuming he weren't persuaded or convinced by a third party to go do something else, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is under the impression that Kurapika didn't give a single gently caress about the mafia and was only biding time before he takes all the eyes and leaves.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Kurapika realizes the True Value of Friendship(tm) and spends the rest of his time adventuring with Gon and/or helping Leorio heal people.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

Kurapika realizes the True Value of Friendship(tm) and spends the rest of his time adventuring with Gon and/or helping Leorio heal people.

Yeah he sure hopped on that opportunity by ignoring all of Leorio's calls when Gon was dying.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah he sure hopped on that opportunity by ignoring all of Leorio's calls when Gon was dying.

He will obviously realize it on his trip to the new world.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
^manga spoilers^
I'm sure glad I'm reading the manga so I didn't just get that spoiled for me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
By the way, what chapter did the anime leave off on so I can jump to that chapter and get what amounts to five minutes of a new episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

By the way, what chapter did the anime leave off on so I can jump to that chapter and get what amounts to five minutes of a new episode.

338-339 was the last episode.

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

But it's not any more useful for that than just holding an ordinary, well-made chain. His master emphasized that summoned objects can't be all that much better than real objects ("a nen-user isn't stronger than God"), so they have to be given special properties to make them useful.

Actually, wasn't it the Dowsing Chain that Kurapika was swinging like a madman in the fight against Uvogin? He was sneaking the Chain Jail up on him with it invisible then, and I swear I remember the chain he was swinging having that little ball on the end rather than the Chain Jail's hook. Just because it's an ordinary chain (barring the dowsing and the being made of nen) doesn't mean he can't nen-empower (nenpower) it and beat someone to death with it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Actually, wasn't it the Dowsing Chain that Kurapika was swinging like a madman in the fight against Uvogin? He was sneaking the Chain Jail up on him with it invisible then, and I swear I remember the chain he was swinging having that little ball on the end rather than the Chain Jail's hook. Just because it's an ordinary chain (barring the dowsing and the being made of nen) doesn't mean he can't nen-empower (nenpower) it and beat someone to death with it.

Yes, but he could just as easily nen-empower a normal chain he bought at a hardware store. Makes it kind of a waste to spend a couple of weeks getting intimate with a chain. The Dowsing Chain doesn't have any special combat prowess. Kurapika could just as easily fight with, say, a fishing rod.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Clarste posted:

Yes, but he could just as easily nen-empower a normal chain he bought at a hardware store. Makes it kind of a waste to spend a couple of weeks getting intimate with a chain. The Dowsing Chain doesn't have any special combat prowess. Kurapika could just as easily fight with, say, a fishing rod.

Just because it doesn't have special combat abilities doesn't mean he couldn't use it as a weapon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

Just because it doesn't have special combat abilities doesn't mean he couldn't use it as a weapon.

...and no one ever said he couldn't. It's just a waste of his nen ability to do so because his conjuration doesn't add anything to it. He could also fight with a shovel, playing cards, a broken bottle, or one of those paired sword nunchucks he started the series with and presumably spent his life mastering. Or his bare fists. Why use a chain at all if it's not a misdirection for Chain Jail, which only works on Spiders?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 30, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Clarste posted:

...and no one ever said he couldn't. It's just a waste of his nen ability to do so because his conjuration doesn't add anything to it. He could also fight with a shovel, playing cards, a broken bottle, or one of those paired sword nunchucks he started the series with and presumably spent his life mastering. Or his bare fists. Why use a chain at all if it's not a misdirection for Chain Jail, which only works on Spiders?

Because unlike a shovel, playing cards, broken bottles, or those woodern swordchucks, he will always have access to his nen chains. Why wouldn't he learn to use those for even basic combat?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Because chains aren't the pinnacle of weapon technology. It's more of an improvised thing. And are you telling me that Hisoka made the terrible decision to rely on cards that he could be separated from? The series specifically pointed out that the advantages of conjuring an ordinary weapon are negligible, and any conjurer who does so just for that is an idiot.

Point is that fighting with the Dowsing Chain offers no advantages. You could say it has no disadvantages either, but that's ignoring the opportunity cost of not having developed a more combat focused conjuring ability. The entire point of this conversation is that once Kurapika defeats the Spiders he doesn't really have any hatsu combat abilities, and the ability to fight with a chain as an improvised weapon is not a combat ability even if it's technically possible.

Frankly I'm not really sure what your point is supposed to be. The Dowsing Chain is not an anti-combat tool that disintegrates on contact with an opponent, yes.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 30, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Clarste posted:

Because chains aren't the pinnacle of weapon technology. It's more of an improvised thing. And are you telling me that Hisoka made the terrible decision to rely on cards that he could be separated from? The series specifically pointed out that the advantages of conjuring an ordinary weapon are negligible, and any conjurer who does so just for that is an idiot.

Point is that fighting with the Dowsing Chain offers no advantages. You could say it has no disadvantages either, but that's ignoring the opportunity cost of not having developed a more combat focused conjuring ability. The entire point of this conversation is that once Kurapika defeats the Spiders he doesn't really have any hatsu combat abilities, and the ability to fight with a chain as an improvised weapon is not a combat ability even if it's technically possible.

Frankly I'm not really sure what your point is supposed to be. The Dowsing Chain is not an anti-combat tool that disintegrates on contact with an opponent, yes.

Well first of all, I don't think Hisoka relies on cards, it's just what he likes to use and goes really well with his whole magician shtick. He seemed to be quite effective with the butler's coins which leads me to believe he is proficient with any kind of small projectile.

Secondly, I was under the impression you were arguing that the dowsing chains couldn't be used for combat at all and they could only be used for dowsing or something like that. I wasn't trying to argue that he would be able to use it as his primary offensive tool once he is done with the Spiders so I think it was mostly a misunderstanding on my part. My bad!

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

So the anime just calls itself "Hunter Hunter" but I'm like 90% certain I read a Shonen Jump preview years and years and years ago that pointed out the title is supposed to be pronounced "Hunter Cross Hunter". Can I get any confirmation on this?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's pronounced "Hunter Hunter" with the x being silent. You can hear Togashi pronounce it that way in this video.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I want to say I'm satisfied but I know in the back of my mind I'm going to be in the garage sorting through dozens of old issues of shonen jump to find that one preview. Anyway, thanks!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I remember back when Rosario x Vampire was ongoing, someone on another forum suggested that you pronounce the 'X' in titles like those as 'to'. So instead of saying Rosario ex Vampire, you said Rosario to Vampire which kind of makes sense. If that were the case here the title would be Hunter to Hunter which might have some meaning.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I say Hunter Ex Hunter, because it sounds cooler :colbert:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I say Hunter Ex Hunter, because it sounds cooler :colbert:

I'm with you there.

Also I didn't know people said it any other way.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I used to say Hunter Ex Hunter until my brother explained that Gon is actually going to be a hunter to hunt another hunter(Ging).

Never thought of it until he mentioned that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is pronounced "Hunter Hunter"; somewhere, I think in one of the volumes of the series, he states in an interview that he came up with the name after watching something with a character that repeated itself often, and later threw the X in as a decoration.

Also in the anime itself you can hear them say it that way, I believe. During the next episode previews, maybe?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ezzer posted:

So the anime just calls itself "Hunter Hunter" but I'm like 90% certain I read a Shonen Jump preview years and years and years ago that pointed out the title is supposed to be pronounced "Hunter Cross Hunter". Can I get any confirmation on this?

I would have said it is a possibility, but there are x in all of the episode titles and pronouncing them as x was "cross" wouldn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

A lot of the time people in Japan just call it Hunter, though. Most of the fans I've met from there have only ever called it that when we talk about it.

• Locked thread