Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

Dude.

Also, I just now realized that, with the completion of the Chimera ant arc, there have only been 4 major arcs so far. I know that Togashi has been sick and all, but drat, that's around 3 years per arc.

The Chimera Ant arc was so incredibly long with all the delays and such. I remember reading the beginning of that arc when I was in high school. I'm in grad school now and it has finally finished a few weeks ago. It's a pretty weird feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I quit the manga right around the end of the Greed Island stuff, I think the manga was on a break then and/or the mangaka was still flipping out and submitting napkin sketches for publication. Does anybody know the story with that? The first couple of volumes have some of the best drawing and layout in any manga I've ever read, then it just plane crashes into the dirt for a while...

The art is more or less completely redone for the volume releases.

I don't have any comparison pictures on hand but the differences between the weekly chapters and volumes are huge.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they do get that far they could easily cover him in a quick flashback. Considering his only appearance for a long time was in the very first chapter it would only take a minute or two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The manga isn't exactly coming off hiatus, but we are getting some new content pretty soon:

quote:

The December 3 and December 10 issues of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine will publish a two-part Hunter X Hunter manga special from Yoshihiro Togashi titled "Kurapika Tsuioku-hen" (Kurapika Recollection Volume). The 63-page special will act as a prequel to the upcoming Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge film.

The special will revolve around Kurapika's childhood with the Kurta clan.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

There are two complete arcs following Greed Island so I don't see why they would stop.

I think at the very least there's enough for roughly two years or so worth of anime content. There's quite the buffer (most recent episode covered up to chapter 120 of the manga, and the manga is currently 340 chapters plus the recent Kurapika side story).

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 10, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you count the start of Yorknew at the part where Gon returns home and hears about Greed Island, that'd be roughly 56 or so chapters of the manga and about 21 episodes of the anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Man, the new OP sure is spoiler-y.

Really can't wait for next week's episode, HxH does a great job with its mechanics and Greed Island sure has a bunch of new ones to consider.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clearly what you gotta do now is read the manga and suffer from the frequent year-long hiatuses like many HxH fans do :unsmigghh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Did the hiatus technically end when that Kurapika backstory comic came out for the movie?

Technically, yeah. It's still unknown when we'll be seeing more chapters though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The latest episode actually cut a few things out from the manga. They were pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but for those curious:

The reason Killua wins the tournament is because Gon teaches him his secret technique for winning Rock-Paper-Scissors, and it turns out that Killua is even better at said technique than Gon.

The scene with the guy that attempts to steal from Gon and Killua is shortened. First he tries to steal from Killua, but it turns out he gave the card to Gon for safekeeping so he steals nothing. He then tries to steal from Gon, but it turns out that while walking to the town Gon picked up a lot of rocks and turned them into cards, so he winds up stealing a rock.

One other removal that was from a few episodes ago so I won't spoil tag it: When they ate at the restaurant in the manga they order some other things as well, and have to pay for them. But their money isn't in card form and since it's not from Greed Island they can't turn it into a card, so they're forced to wash dishes for a few hours.

Also, looks like they're already making a 2nd HxH movie. Hopefully the first one gets licensed here in some capacity.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how some of the Phantom Troupe stuff does tie into Greed Island, that would not be a good idea. A viewer that skips out on that would probably be a little confused later on. Plus that arc is fantastic and avoids a bunch of cliches in the genre. Not really any good reason to skip it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Back in December there were two chapters released as tie-in material for the movie (though it's canon stuff about Kurapika's past that should be read anyways). Hasn't been a peep since then and I think all the recent chapters have been collected in volumes so he's not spending his time redrawing them. If it were truly cancelled I think there would have been some sort of announcement by now though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, the manga is still really successful even with all the delays. When a new volume does get released, it tends to sell better than everything Jump has except for One Piece and Naruto.

Easy to see why Jump is content to just let Togashi go at his own pace (which, considering the stressful work schedule for a weekly series, is probably for the best).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really enjoy how fast most of the fights in this arc go. I mean, if this were a different Shonen Jump anime it could have taken 3 episodes for the fights we saw in this episode because each episode would have to focus on a different fight (and for padding we'd have seen flashbacks for each of the ants).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They have been buying their time with a little filler. For example in the manga, you don't even see Killua's fight from this episode. His opponent is chosen, there's a scene change, and when it cuts back Killua has already won.

But at least they've been doing filler that fits, even if it does happen to slow down the pacing a little.

And thankfully the recaps before the OP haven't been too bad yet. There's enough manga chapters left to cover that I can't see them resorting to 5+ minute recaps every episode, and thank goodness for that.

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 9, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Don't forget about Killua's yo-yos!

Though I guess with the way those are made they're still powerful even without nen being involved.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Actually the volume releases of the manga did a great job at redrawing pretty much all the sketchy stuff so that hasn't been the case for awhile.

That said the anime has been doing a drat fine job at adapting the manga. The pacing has technically slowed down a little but it's still fast as hell compared to every other long running shonen anime. Plus this is the only long, ongoing series that Madhouse is doing so they're able to do the animation justice instead of having horribly off-model scenes every few episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There have been a fair amount of new tracks on this arc, so it's probably something that will be out whenever the next OST hits.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That sure was a mediocre movie.

It seemed like they skimped on the budget? The animation didn't feel like it was that much better than the tv series, and most of the music was recycled as well. And it didn't help that because this is a filler movie, they couldn't pull out new nen techniques for existing characters since that would contradict the series. They didn't have that restriction with the villain so it's a shame that they didn't do anything interesting with his powers in the final battle. Hunter x Hunter's fights are best when crazy nen powers are involved, and it's a shame that they didn't even try to do that here.

As far as the filler kid with problems relating to the villain go (as is the standard for Shonen Jump movies, of course), I guess Retz was okay? Wasn't a compelling character but wasn't obnoxious either. I've seen much worse but I've seen much better.

Also was it just me or did the villain look like he belonged in a different anime? His design seemed to clash a bit. Maybe it's just that his outfit and attitude really felt like they were trying too hard with him.

Anyways, agreed about the ending. It was really dumb that Gon would just leave Retz to die like that without a problem. Seriously he could have brought up something like how she helped save that kid. Or anything really. It just feels like he accepted it way too quickly. It's really jarring that Gon wouldn't dash into the fire to save a friend. I mean, he lost his eyes on purpose without knowing if he'd ever get them back just to help Kurapika out. A fire is nothing compared to that :colbert:

There were a few good moments but most of the fights were bland and the characters created for the movie were uninteresting. I guess if you don't read the manga you could check it out since there's a Kurapika flashback that's canon, but you're not missing much if you skip it. I think the time would be better spent revisiting some of the cool fights from the series instead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first few episodes of the 2011 version were rushed, but everything else has been superior to the original. Except maybe the music, though I feel like the difference in animation quality more than makes up for the difference in music (though it has been getting better lately, for awhile the 2011 version really loved to reuse the same tracks).

I mean even some of the best fights in the original look stiff compared to how the new anime does it. Seriously, check out this comparison between the old and new takes of Gon fighting Hisoka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5uVoqafQWs

Madhouse typically does a stellar job at making fights fluid and exciting to watch, and the new HxH is no exception.

RubberLuffy posted:

I've watched the older version 3 times through but the new anime has pretty much made me forget most of the old one. I'll probably never watch the old one again, either. Heaven's Arena and Yorknew are great in the new one and Greed Island is 100 times better than the old OVAs. And the pace isn't really all that fast. It did in 75 episodes what the old series+OVAs did in 92, but those were slow paced and had filler.

Indeed. The fast pacing was only really a problem in the very early episodes (and some of it was due to content being shifted around, like Gon meeting Kite). I feel like the comparisons to FMA:B are a bit overblown because at the end of the day the episode count wasn't shrunk that much. And yeah Greed Island was actually entertaining in the new anime! The old Greed Island OVA was not handled well at all.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 27, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I really don't get most of the praise for the original anime; maybe it's just me, but a few episodes in all I could see was a subpar, stripped-down adaptation that was simultaneously less subtle and less... I dunno, "graphic" isn't quite right, but as an example Hisoka's introductory scene where he removed that guy's arms was changed to the guy cowering in a corner or something, while Hisoka was vaguely menacing. And that was before all the unnecessary filler.

New series, while I'm not entirely sure about all the choices they've made and it also gets some strange toning-down of the violence, has had better art and animation and kept closer to the original series while, when it does do things differently, tends to change things in a way to make it work better as an anime rather than some weird out-of-nowhere change.

The original anime is weird when compared to the new one since they go with darker colors but with the exception of the Yorknew arc they made things more kid-friendly. They did do a fairly good job with Yorknew but I'd argue that the new anime does just as good of a job. The animation side of things alone has much more dynamic scenes and even in talky scenes it helps that the new anime doesn't have rather stiff movement (the original was really guilty of abusing the 'ol panning from left to right or vice-versa on a still picture, among other things).

And then the original anime got to Greed Island and the animation quality took a nosedive.

I mean seriously, look at the 1st opening for Greed Island Final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGhqvAdQrs

It's just downright embarrassing! (Anyone who hasn't seen that should absolutely click that link, it was very much a work in progress that they put out as an opening)

They eventually made a real opening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gV5ARAuNq4) but it's kinda nuts to have that happen with an OVA. They must have been forced to rush it or something.

e:

codeorange posted:

It doesn't help that due to the shortened length of the arcs mean that there's less time devoted to developing characters, which reduces them to their basest stereotype. What made Gon interesting as a character wasn't just his happy-go-lucky personality but his unbreaking will, and his determination to become strong through diligence and ruthlessness which the remake eschews for brevity. Now he is just Shonen Protagonist who gets strong because of training arc and for plot convenience.

Didn't you just say you've only seen a few episodes? The new anime hasn't been going at a lightning fast pace or anything (and you gotta account for how the original had a few filler arcs), and it hasn't cut anything from the manga. Everything you described here is still in the anime; it's really obvious that Gon has hella determination. Seriously, the first 3-4 episodes of the new show are rather rough but after that the pacing slows down and it starts to feel a lot more natural. And it's not like the original anime was afraid to show training arcs, both the new and old anime show training arcs where they happened in the manga.

It's absolutely not a FMA:B case where they rushed through the content to get to the parts that weren't animated, they assumed that most of the viewers hadn't seen the original and paced it appropriately after the awkward start (which was wise considering how the original was over a decade old at that point).

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 27, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clarste posted:

You seem to be claiming that Gon was more deep and complicated in that version compared to the new one, but that's just because it was less subtle and didn't really get who Gon was. It gave him a lot of scenes where he seems almost mystically in touch with things and intuits stuff that wiser characters miss. Which isn't really... Gon. Gon is a kid who treats everything like a game. Everything's fun to him, and he doesn't really understand truly danger or evil. He never gives up simply because he's a stubborn bastard and that's kind of scary actually. He actually lacks a lot of the heroic qualities that the original decided to give him, because they wanted a more traditional protagonist.

To add to this, it kinda makes the Greed Island OVAs for the original anime a bit weird since they keep stuff like Gon letting a serial murderer go free (just because they were able to train when he tried to kill them!) and healing a dude who blew up over a hundred people. It makes a lot more sense in the new anime since they emphasize that Gon doesn't give a poo poo about good or evil. He's rather amoral and only cares about what his friends want (would Gon even get involved with exterminating chimera ants if it wasn't for Kite? It's questionable!). Heck, the only real moral judgements he makes happens when other people are jerks to those he assumes are their friends, like when he saw a chimera ant kill its squadmate. Quite different from Naruto in that regard :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AllanGordon posted:

Oh thank god. I was worried that Togashi died or something but instead it was just someone sperging about the old versus new anime.

Someone was having an opinion in a thread to discuss an anime? I'm scared, someone hold me :ohdear:

e: ^^^ it was a civil argument! I don't see the big deal really, it's not like this is normally a super active thread or anything.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 28, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guyver posted:

Starting in October HxH is moving from its Sunday morning time slot to 1:30 in the morning Tuesdays.

Huh.

That's kinda strange seeing as how it has been getting alright ratings.

But at least that means they don't have to worry about holding back with some of the content!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's pretty common for shonen jump anime openings to show upcoming scenes/characters/etc. Heck, One Piece had an OP that showed Robin as part of the crew before it was revealed she was a good guy. And HxH did show the dodgeball game (which was mostly a spoiler since it showed that Hisoka teamed up with them).

That said a lot of anime really doesn't make a big deal out of spoilers. There are even some that tell you stuff like "this character is gonna die next episode" in the episode preview.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The manga is only sketches if you read the weekly Shonen Jump releases (also how is talking about the art quality of the manga a spoiler?). The volumes have drastically improved art and there are actually backgrounds instead of most scenes taking place in a white void!

Seriously the difference is immense.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 17, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The closest thing to filler is that some things in the most recent arc have been expanded upon, such as a few fights that were mostly handled off-screen in the manga.

Nothing that's worth going out of your way to watch, though.

I suppose the recent movie counts as filler but it's pretty mediocre.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dranxis posted:

Quick question: how long has the Hunter x Hunter manga been on hiatus this time around? I know I could easily look this up but I'm afraid of looking up anything related to HxH for fear of spoilers. I've been a fan of the series since I watched the 1999 anime and accompanying OVAs years ago, but I was never able to get into the manga (Togashi is a talented artist, but I remember the art looking kinda rushed and sparsely detailed, so I decided to wait for more anime). I'm just curious how much is left before the anime runs out of material.

It's getting increasingly difficult to wait for new episodes. On one hand, I'm rooting for the protagonists, but at this point I don't want to see the King or Komugi getting hurt either. So I'm going to sit here biting my nails until next Tuesday.

It has been on hiatus since March 2012, though there is another arc they can cover in the anime so they still have a fair amount of content to go through.

Also while the art looks rushed on the weekly releases of the manga, the actual volume releases of the manga are heavily redone and look great. I wish I had some before and after pics on hand because the difference in quality is incredible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Finally the shits about to go down! I feel like they've been padding it out for 10 episodes.

I don't watch previews and I don't know who Zeno is but I trust it's someone awesome.

(Info that people already know but spoils an appearance so I guess I will just be safe)

Zeno is Killua's grandfather and he has appeared a fair amount of times in the show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyges posted:

Don't do it. You'll be reading napkin sketches and paragraphs of narration that tell you what is happening instead of showing you.

That's not true anymore, the chimera ant arc has long since been heavily touched up in the volume releases.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pretty much the only part of Phantom Rouge worth watching is the Kurapica flashback. Other than that, Silver2195 hit the nail on the head. It is not a good movie, sadly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rkelly posted:

I think the entire method of tactics and strategy battle winning is what makes the characters so interesting. There really is art to the way nen and spirit energy work.
I so wish this author was as prolific as other major shounen dudes. The fact that the chimera ant arc took 5 or more years is insanity. I really don't get how the author can get such carte blanche treatment.

God I watched jo jo and that's about the only thing semi close. I need more deep mature smart shounen poo poo.

Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty popular back in the day, so between that and whatever sickness Togashi has, they give him a lot of leeway. It especially helps that when a new volume of HxH does get released, it outsells every other Shonen Jump title except for One Piece and Naruto. Despite the constant hiatuses, it's still quite popular. He can't get fired because they'd lose out on a lot of money.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The manga does have actual art in the volume releases :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fairly sure that Viz is the only option for the completed volumes. Most scanlators only care about what's most current, after all!

(Though iirc Viz also has digital versons of the volumes too?)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vagithug posted:

Don't worry it does end at a place that is good but also makes you excited for the next arc, for whenever he decides to write again.

Yeah and they could easily edit out the hook for the next arc without losing anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally, I think the best possible way to continue the series would be to have Togashi do scripts and designs for the anime team. I'm sure he could manage that much.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, even if it's only 10 chapters, I'll take it. I might have to subscribe to Viz's thing for a little bit now that there's something in Jump I want to read :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For years now I've felt like the Shonen Jump chapters were rough drafts and the volumes were the real deal since the fixes made it look almost completely different. Definitely looks like that won't change!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dranxis posted:

Wait, when I first saw that scan I assumed those -were- drafts. If that's the actual art we're getting in Shonen Jump then maybe I won't subscribe after all, pffff.

The weekly art has rarely looked *that* terrible, thankfully. Definitely rough, but most of the time it's legible (except when he doesn't do any backgrounds, urgh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jeza posted:

Hisoka is probably the closest the series gets to an unambiguous villain, apart from maybe Feitan. This Pouf guy seems like a douche too though. However, no character is just evil for the sake of evil. It's more like what they care about doesn't extend as far as "other people".

Just thinking about it, characters with strong moral principles don't fare too well in this series. The world it's set in seems a bit like a libertarian paradise.

What I like is that you can even say that about the good guys.

Gon's motivations have usually been driven by wanting to help his friends out, but he doesn't really care if someone commits horrible atrocities if it doesn't affect him or his friends. Heck, if he never became friends with Kurapika and still went to Yorknew, he'd probably take the Phantom Troupe up on their offer to join them.

But as for stuff he did do, he does have a habit of letting vicious murderers go free.

• Locked thread