Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Maybe not really home networking, but kinda..

I have a VPN on my iphone (currently nordVPN.. I know, or Unifi's Teleport) but whenever I try using them on certain networks (the local rec centre, my work guest network) it just drops the wifi connection. Is this the wifi using vpn blockers? Is there any way around that that is relatively straightforward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

ryanrs posted:

How fast for the networking? If just gigabit, then even $70 Netgear GS308EP does vlans, and it's small and fanless and has a metal case and PoE (and is cheaper than the non-PoE GS308E).

So yeah, how fast and how poor?

My mobo's built in ethernet supports 1Gbps and I believe so does my current router. No clue if this will be fast enough for hosting a media server but I also suspect that ISP limits on upload speed will be the bigger bottleneck

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Then that's all you need for segmentation, assuming your router supports vlans or has an extra ethernet port that can be isolated from your home lan.

What router model?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Decommissioned the last Unifi item of the house (an handful of gen3 AC units) and replaced them with a single Zyxel NWA130BE. Everything is now stable without roaming hiccups, even if speeds are sacrificed a bit in the most remote corners of the house (going at 250mbps on a 2x2 AC device). Still good given that if I ran a single gen 3 AP in the same point, clients would flat out drop out of 5ghz in the remote areas. 2x2 AC clients are now flying at full speed (500+) instead of puttering at 400mbps on the old Unifi kit, which always made me kinda angry given that I've never saw speeds close to the a reasonable AC baseline regardless of the 4x4 MIMO radio on the access points. 2x2 AX clients are going at 700+ so super happy about the upgrade and I'm now ready for 6ghz and BE clients too.

I am waiting for a XMG105HP to be ran as a ghetto 10g to four 2.5g fan out to provide full speed uplink to the AP, it was cheaper to buy than a 2.5g AT injector plus copper SFP+ combo surprisingly.

Nebula management is nice (albeit with a far shittier mobile app than Unifi) but it can get expensive once you start adding devices under the paid plans. 20€/year for each device to add weekly data retention, email warnings, topology (but, given how badly it worked with Unifi, I honestly have stopped caring for knowing where the devices are connected) and other ancillaries. Free service with 24h retention is more than adequate for home usage.

I dropped out of the 10g wan service idea, too much kit to buy and unknowns. If I upgrade, I will go for 2.5g service so I will just buy a double 2.5g NIC equipped NUC and call it a day.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 5, 2024

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Hi!

I have a question. Please take into account that I have no experience whatsoever with any kind of network stuff besides plugging in the device that my internet provider sends me whenever I start paying them money. One unexplained acronym might go over my head. Yesterday I did not know that a modem is not the same as a router, nevermind what a router even does. So let's hope I can formulate the question.

I recently bought a super fast wireless connection. A professional came to install it (that was the only option, it included some wiring work). The system consist of a modem on the outer wall of the house in a precisely measured place and a router(?) inside the house, connected to the modem by a cable. The router sends out a wireless signal only and it provides the connection to several devices in our house, except one.

I have a desktop computer which can't receive wireless signals but it has a wireless modem/router connected to it by an ethernet cable. It came from another internet provider and is still currently in use.

Would I be able to use the older modem/router to connect to the new, fast thingy and thus eliminate the need to pay for two internet connections?

I googled stuff and found out how I can access the settings of my router/modem and that there is something called wireless bridging mode which might help couldn't figure out how to make it work. I'm generally not clueless nor tech-illiterate but I've never had to learn this kind stuff post MS-DOS 6.3 age so it is all hebrew to me.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
By far the easiest solution is to buy a wireless network card for your desktop computer. Unless there is some reason that isn’t an option (like the computer is owned by your employer).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyks posted:

By far the easiest solution is to buy a wireless network card for your desktop computer. Unless there is some reason that isn’t an option (like the computer is owned by your employer).

A USB wireless adapter is probably the best solution. Opening up their desktop to install a PCIE card might be more than what OP is comfortable tacking. If OP is okay installing cards in their system then I agree, a PCIE wireless card is the way to go.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some model numbers or pictures if nothing else would be helpful.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

SpartanIvy posted:

A USB wireless adapter is probably the best solution. Opening up their desktop to install a PCIE card might be more than what OP is comfortable tacking. If OP is okay installing cards in their system then I agree, a PCIE wireless card is the way to go.

I've installed some hard drives and extra RAM in the past so I guess it wouldn't be impossible. I think the power source is in full use at the moment, though.

E: the router seems to be ZTE MF296R

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Valiantman posted:

I've installed some hard drives and extra RAM in the past so I guess it wouldn't be impossible. I think the power source is in full use at the moment, though.

E: the router seems to be ZTE MF296R

By "Power source in full use" do you mean there are no available cords/plugs? If so, the good news is that a wireless card will draw all the power it needs from the motherboard slot you plug it into. As long as you have a spare PCIE slot available it will work. If you're not aware, any PCIE slot should work, even if it's a longer one than the card. So if you had a full size 16x slot for a GPU available, a 1x PCIE card can be inserted into it and will work correctly.

My personal preference is ASUS wireless cards. I've had a few over the years and they've worked for me, and I like that they include Bluetooth. But I'm sure all the major brands are basically identical in experience, and possibly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC5...117&sr=8-6&th=1

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

By "Power source in full use" do you mean there are no available cords/plugs? If so, the good news is that a wireless card will draw all the power it needs from the motherboard slot you plug it into. As long as you have a spare PCIE slot available it will work. If you're not aware, any PCIE slot should work, even if it's a longer one than the card. So if you had a full size 16x slot for a GPU available, a 1x PCIE card can be inserted into it and will work correctly.

My personal preference is ASUS wireless cards. I've had a few over the years and they've worked for me, and I like that they include Bluetooth. But I'm sure all the major brands are basically identical in experience, and possibly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC5...117&sr=8-6&th=1

Yeah, that is what I meant. Luckily, it seems I have one PCIE slot free on the motherboard. If it is the easiest way, I might just go with that.

Out of curiosity, am I totally off with the bridging thing anyway?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That ZTE device seems to be a 4G modem/router combo and I think bridge mode is to disable the router part of it. That wouldn't have helped you.

Can't find anything but a quick start guide for it though.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

That ZTE device seems to be a 4G modem/router combo and I think bridge mode is to disable the router part of it. That wouldn't have helped you.

Can't find anything but a quick start guide for it though.

Ah, alright. I was having a lot of trouble finding anything about it, too, and it came with no documentation besides simple instructions for what the hardware parts of it are.

Thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have an orbi that I don't use the satellites of. It's three years old.

I have a Comcast cable modem and my orbi is connected to it and then devices connect to the orbi via a couple of switches or WiFi.

My orbi is dropping WiFi and Ethernet connections regularly, says it's never got any connection issues with the Internet, but it regularly stops working, at which point I have to factory reset it.

Currently some wired devices are working, some are not but the WiFi works.

I'm sick of this poo poo and just want the currently available everyone-loves-it WiFi/Ethernet router that is not an orbi. Please tell me what to buy.

Also what are reliable consumer gigabit switches? I don't trust my switches either and want to start from scratch.

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 5, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redreader posted:

I have a Comcast cable modem and my orbi is connected to it and then devices connect to the orbi via a couple of switches or WiFi.

My orbi is dropping WiFi and Ethernet connections regularly, says it's never got any connection issues with the Internet, but it regularly stops working, at which point I have to factory reset it.

I'm sick of this poo poo and just want the currently available everyone-loves-it WiFi/Ethernet router that is not an orbi. Please tell me what to buy.

Also what are reliable consumer gigabit switches? I don't trust my switches either and want to start from scratch.

If you have issues with orbi but want a similar format you could try eero or tplink deco. Otherwise you could try tplink omada, ubiquiti unifi or zyxel nebula.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

redreader posted:

I like the omada setup I've been running for a few years now (I think it's been?), switch, router, controller (optional), and 3 AP, I think the only downtime has been a few minutes for firmware upgrades here and there.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I ended up never using the Orbi satellites, so I am just looking for a normal wireless router with no weird sattelite BS. just The Most Reliable Wireless And Ethernet Router Known To Man.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

redreader posted:

I ended up never using the Orbi satellites, so I am just looking for a normal wireless router with no weird sattelite BS. just The Most Reliable Wireless And Ethernet Router Known To Man.

How wide is the wireless coverage you need and what are the thicknesses of the walls and materials they are made of? Because depending on your answer, you may need to use satellites or access points to get the wireless coverage you want.

E: also, do you have your networking gear hooked up to reputable surge protectors (or, even better, ups’s)? Surges can absolutely damage the networking equipment and cause the issues you are seeing

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My Netgear WNDR3700v2 has been in continuous service since 2011, though I definitely wouldn't recommend buying one in 2024.