Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My favourite implication: with Dave and Rose alive, and their planets safe as well, they could go back and finish their personal quests. :unsmith:

e/ Did we ever see Jade actually get the final frog that Echidna showed her? Last I saw she was still puzzling over how to get it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The last track is... odd. :raise:

It's an acapella cover of the original source for the sample at the beginning of Black.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just because I'm not quick on the draw with my wallet! :argh:

I mean I'm totally buying this album right now, but give me a minute jeez.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FebrezeNinja posted:

I haven't had the chance to listen to the album yet, but "Hussie Hunt" has hilarious art.

I'm a third of the way through and so far there is literally not a single track I even mildly dislike. Music team really pulled out everything for this one. Escape Pod and Davesprite are loving wonderful :dance:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
S U C K E R S.

:tinfoil:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The reveal that the Tumor wasn't a bomb at all, but an ectobiology lab containing two whole universes was great. I'm not sure what emotion the close up shots of Dave and Rose were supposed convey but "oh drat" is pretty appropriate.

You have never seen Die Hard 3.

You should rectify this immediately.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Black Numenorean posted:

check_thii2_2hiit_out.~ATH

If this means what I think it does, the majority of the kids' problems RE: Karkat being terrible and ruining everything forever are over. Maybe.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Some Strange Flea posted:

God dammit, I knew I would regret deleting it. I mean it only went to the recycle bin but it still feels bad. Not only is the snippet very quiet it is also backwards and pretty rockin'!

Any ideas whose it is? And what it might be? (boss fight oh yeah)

Saradiart posted:

Prior to the involvement of the kids, there was no Lord English although the concept of "was" doesn't really apply in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately, Lord English's entire existence is contingent on the kids.

Remember also that theirs is dependent on his too: LE is implied to be the reason (somehow) that the troll session was originally scratched. I that hadn't happened, the kids wouldn't exist. I don't think this one falls into ontological paradox territory either, since LE is implied to be outside of such things and/or have mastery over them; he utilises them, but isn't really limited by them.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

So since Dog-Tier Jade is part Bec do you think she has a running inner-monologue of "GOOD ME, BEST SELF"?

ALL OF THE SEROTONIN :buddy:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 25, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Aw man, I just realised Betty Crocker Her Imperial Condescension is dead. :(

Hopefully we'll get a flashback at some point, but still.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

What I'm curious about, at the moment, is if the new version of the kid universe will be largely similar (with the kids and parents switched), or if, like the Troll universe scratch, it results in a much more bloodthirsty place.

That transformation was implied to be directly as a result of the Handmaiden's (and LE's) influence, and as far as we know LE has no real presence in the kids' universe; remember that the two main signs of this are players not spawned by their session and a cueball guardian, and Earth has neither.

The closest thing LE had to an agent on Earth was (possibly maybe) Betty Crocker/Her Condescension, and that's still unconfirmed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Starmaker posted:

e: it just occurred to me that we're going to have to put up with Grandpa/Mom and Bro/Nanna shipping now.

Grandpa + Mom = Tony Stark.

Think about it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the conclusion of the story will be more interesting than "end fight against Lord English." I think it's going to be more along the lines of unraveling the mystery surrounding Lord English and figuring out a way to put an end to his cycle of universe destruction. It may be that they can't stop him from destroying the reset universe but will stop him from entering any more. It's hard to predict anything at this point.

Alternatively, everyone will be forced to come to terms with his continued existence, given that "Let's thwart the bad guy!" is much the same brand of plot as "Let's save the Earth!", and the latter turned out to be exactly not what SBurb is all about; I see no reason the story as a whole should amount to the former.

Well, other than the fact that I can't imagine what the overall message would be in that case (and I'd say as a modern creation myth/fable, Homestuck has to have at least one), but I'm bad enough at analysing complete literature, let alone half-finished stuff like this, so :v:

e/ Not that I don't want to see a throwdown with the big man, it just seems like a perfectly natural plot progression, and therefore unlikely to happen.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 27, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Everything we have was inherited from the troll universe.

Except for John Cusack, who is a universal constant.

When did you stop being that mysterious grey douchebag and start being Harry Anderson?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

creationist believer posted:

And it was necessary for Jade to die to hold up her end of the bargain. I hope we learn what the bargain presented to Kanaya was that she turned down was, all she says is that it wasn't important or interesting and also impossible.

Which means it could be literally anything given how utterly terrible trolls in general seem to be at reading subtext and gauging the relative importance of seemingly meaningless actions which are typically dripping with said subtext. See: Karkat and frog breeding.

So yeah I really hope we find out what their bargain was too, because I think it's super entertaining to retrospectively watch these 13 year old aliens flail about being utterly obtuse and refusing to even try to figure out all this weird puzzle poo poo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Also just to blab one more time about Volume 8, Frog Hunt is a very fun tune. Very jam band. But Gust of Heir has to be the chillest track on the album. Bowman's "Even in Death" remix is nice. Aside from other changes I like how adding in a violin and softening the orchestral stabs really changes the texture without deviating all that far from the original at all.

Infinity Mechanism is still probably my favorite overall. Very driving sound. It owns.

Everything from Havoc to Lotus just blends into one progressive supertrack for me (which is awesome), except for Revered Return, which I can't really figure out. I love it, but like, what is it meant to be?

But yeah, very few of the tracks are standalone listening for me, I've been treating volume 8 as three experimental prog rock albums glued together (split roughly into thirds). Haven't listened to it out of order yet, and that's how I like it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Storks. (Fitting that he'd involve himself with the process of universe-birthing, too.)

That would explain the freakishly tall coat as well.

Though it worries me a bit how easy it is to picture a stork playing pool. Not with arms or anything, just a regular stork like all holding the cue in its claws and jumping around on the table to line up a shot.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zoolooman posted:

You're not thinking about this given the tools at hand.

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.

Exactly. If Dave gets killed, is Dave dead? Not the one we actually care about, certainly. I'd guess much the same applies here, though for slightly different reasons.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.

I thought sanguine referred to a fiery passionate person? Which Karkat clearly is, so it would still work, if differently.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Level Slide posted:

I was in the process of asking if Jade left behind enough recyclable material for the new universe to have Dad, Mom, and Bro as players, but then I realized they all died on worlds that Jade packed when she left the universe. I miss Bro :smith:

Is there anything more than anecdotal evidence to suggest that the scratch requires players/ancestors to be destroyed in order to have them appear in the new universe? Because I haven't really seen any more than that, and it's beginning to feel like the hard sci-fi teleporter thing where everyone just assumes that you have to destroy the original because [never actually gives a good reason].

The only things I've seen to suggest it are J referring to his grandmother as a witch of space (tenuous, possible semantic bullshittery), and the whole troll ancestors had echoes of memories of the way their world used to be thing (still doesn't require that they be the actual physical same people, which would be impossible anyway seeing as how they were spawned in the new session and lived their entire lives in the new troll universe). So yeah, if there's something other than those that I'm missing, feel free to tell me, otherwise I'm going to keep looking forward to grown-up kids a completely neutral viewpoint because there's really nothing to suggest the opposite is true either.

(Twist version: there are grown-up versions of the kids in the new session, but by the time we get there they're already dead, what with being naturally doomed ancestors and all. :v:)

Gnome de plume posted:

Someone went and made a pretty sweet-looking Homestuck title screen (may not work in some browsers).

Oh hey look it's that giant laser cannon thing we haven't seen since it was made. (I was pretty surprised when the Green Sun Streetsweeper showed up in the banner battle with Jack, I kind of expect the poo poo made in alchemizer sprees to never actually be used or its intended purpose ever.)

Lord of Laughton posted:

So I just spent the last half hour reading through Xamag's Tumblr. Man, is she talented.

And I thought everybody forgot about Pantskat. :swoon: (This is far from the best thing on that blog)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 1, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CidGregor posted:

And apparently she's only sixteen? Goddamn, there are people in their 30s that can't draw that well.

That makes two then, that girl horse from Texas being the other one.

e/ Lazylaz, who did some brilliant shots of John for Cascade.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 1, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Supercar Gautier posted:

Reminder: On May 15th, Andrew advised the art team that he'd probably be getting started on EOA5 in two or three weeks, which he estimated as the time it would take to complete all the setup pages. When in doubt, always assume that he's understimating the length and time investment for any given segment of content.

I'm really glad he's not the kind of person this is more generically true for. As in "I'm just popping out for some milk, brb!" *staggers in the door 6 months later dragging his own weight in nazi gold and sporting a survivor beard*

Although that would be pretty great to read about.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lord of Laughton posted:

So if LE only just emerged, does that mean that the LE that we see here is an LE later on his personal timeline from the moment he emerged from Scratch? drat time poo poo.

Yes, hence "he is already here, but has not yet arrived". We just saw the moment of his arrival, and from here he goes on to jet around the history of the troll universe passing out time powers like cheap candy on halloween.

Really, it's only complicated if you're confused about which temporal location is being referred to at any given time. All of that stuff LE did already happened from the perspective of his point of arrival post-universe-death, but when he showed up there he hadn't personally done any of it yet. The meeting with the Handmaiden for instance was in his local past (as in from the perspective of his location, i.e.: the troll universe) and personal future.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Eiba posted:

... Though parallels with the Trolls' session might not work out so well, as we don't have the same issues with the ectobiological birth of the players in a parallel universe. That is, post-Scratch Earth won't necessarily have any versions of the kids or guardians, as the only reason the Trolls universe had versions of themselves them in both is that Karkat made them all post-scratch. Somehow.

Except the trolls made in the post-scratch session all have complete timlines/lives within it and the post scratch universe, they didn't take a few years out to be their pre-scratch selves or anything. The pre-scratch troll session is one of the few honest to god paradoxes in this whole story, since they were never created despite obviously existing in a finite capacity.

If "the session in which they were spawned" was the post-scratch one, there would have to be another 24 grubs made at some point, because even though they share genetic code with 'our' 24, they are not physically the same ones, having lived different lives. They still have no obvious origin, even now, and that's kind of the point: if this was an acceptable stable paradox like all of those ontological loops, it would be fine, there'd be no real problem and this whole thing would be just another quirk of the game. The implication however is that as it was part of a "glitch", an unintended event and a signifier something is properly broken here, we're not dealing with regular time poo poo, and that LE as the indirect cause of this is not a guy to be taken lightly.

tl;dr: stop trying to figure out the existence of the pre-scratch trolls, that their existence is impossible is sort of the point.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

Not even sure if I should post this but a friend who keeps up with Homestuck stuff on 4chan told me there's apparently some big plan over there to buy Hussie and his girlfriend a box of dildos and have them mailed to his house.

I mean, you know, 4chan, so maybe it's just a running joke, but he seemed to think they were reasonably serious about it. Supposedly they'd aimed for and raised 270$ on paypal for it? It might be worth giving him a heads-up. Hopefully it's just another stupid 4chan joke that doesn't get off the ground, or it's someone with a paypal account scamming people who think they're honestly going to buy a bunch of dildos for Hussie.

It's a box full of silicon at the end of the day, even my grandma wouldn't give a poo poo. Mild bewilderment is probably the strongest reaction they can expect.

Desumaytah posted:

Side note: I love how over the course of the comic we've gone from chess, to cards, to pool. If there is somehow another game motif that arises and dominates the comic I hope it's that dumb horse-racing-with-pegs thing.

Any dumb board game would suit me fine, though that was more Problem Sleuth's style. But if anyone can find a way to shoehorn meaningful symbolism into a rousing game of Trouble or Hungry Hungry Hippos, it's AH.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The parallax thing is interesting, but not particularly reliant on the medium. That and the art direction makes me feel like it would come out better as a continuous animation with a narrator reading out the panel text. Certainly the pacing would be better, since I have no loving clue how fast I'm meant to scroll onward to make everything sync up properly.

It's kind of a cool use of technology, but also completely pointless by way of being fake interactivity: it doesn't need to be me personally commanding the story to advance, and the story gains nothing from that being the case. The story has its own pace that it would be best told at, but I don't know what that should be until after I've read it; contrast with the walkaround segments of Homestuck (and similar games or interactive stories elsewhere, like Looming) where being able to set your own pace is part of the telling, and immerses you in the character's situation.

tl;dr: 'Interactive' stories that don't need to be are really loving irritating. Roll on the multimedia webcomics, sure, but let it be used to make the story better rather than worse.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

Hey, if beta-John made it to this timeline, Rose 'returned' through her dream self, and of course future Dave came back and became Davesprite, does that mean the only kid lost forever from that timeline was Jade?

Yeah, Beta Dave and Rose speculate that she never even made it off Earth.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Well Manicured Man posted:

Anyone who unironically compares Andrew Hussie to Tim Buckley because of :words: is obviously a sad sack of tears who can't move past it and heal. Hussie and Buckley are both verbose, but everything Buckley writes is either equivocating white noise or offensively awful attempts at humor. Hussie writes a lot, but he writes things that are actually entertaining in a non-bile fascination way.

Also Hussie can actually draw and tell an engaging story.

"That's like, just your opinion man."
:qqsay:

-a real person, somewhere on the internet

In conclusion, the last five pages have been the stupidest this thread and its predecessors have ever been. Yes, that includes Vriskachat and the pesterchum roleplaying. Friday cannot possibly come soon enough.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cheeseball IV posted:

So as dumb as it sounds, I just realized the kids (Or at least Dave and Rose) will be meeting up with the trolls soon.

Hopefully it instantly deteriorates into a lot of revolting troll/human sloppy makeouts.

And then Karkat unleashes a fury the likes of which we've never seen.

John turns out to not care that Vriska's dead, and goes for it anyway; the simultaneous flipping of nearly two million computer desks is heard around the world, and half the fandom kills itself.

The other half reaches for a box of tissues.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

dumb brunette posted:

I really wonder what sorts of ironic bullshit Dave is going to be tormenting Bro with. Crows everywhere? Ninja displays? Anime posters? Poor Bro probably just wants to perform puppet shows.

Obviously his taunting comes in the form of a stream of terrible (ironically amazing) Bowen Stillson Dogg movies, since obviously Dave is now a successful bigshot director. There's no way anyone else could be responsible for a SBaHJ movie. It just wouldn't hapen.

Paul.Power posted:

Sweet catch!

Jane's specific pose also seems to be a callback to Karkat/Vriska falling in hate/love with Egbert/Cage, for some reason. The head tilt and weightless slouch are just the same, I have no idea if it means anything though. Maybe she just really likes clouds??

Also, is that Dad's oil stained fedora on top of the shelves? Not merely one like it, but actually his? That and the presence of the letter in the shots of J's house implies to me that the kids may have already arrived, since J mentioned some arm twisting involved in getting him to work on the bunny.

[S]Act 6 was pretty great in general though, Homestuck Anthem is one of my favourite tracks in the entire Homestuck discography. Also Alternia for basically being the same kind of theme for a different session, has that one been used anywhere?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ohtsam posted:

So crazy theory

I think the Guardians when originally sent off on meteors in the first session were in fact sent to the scratched session. The guardians all seem to have inside knowledge of the game (with the exception of John's dad)and are exceedingly powerful. However due to the cancerous nature of the session they end up in a situation where they scratch starting universe 1 again.

You are right to say that this is crazy, because we totally say Nanna and Grandpa Harley land in Mark Twain's back yard on Earth 1.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The chimney's on the other side too, looks like he just did a sprite flip again.

e/ For reference:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 11, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zorak posted:

I wonder what prompted her not doing so in the previous session? She supposedly died sometime in the past, but we never did learn how. It's a bit strange, given that she's purportedly immortal at that point.

Probably something along the lines of having to do things a certain way to ensure things would happen the way they did so that she'd get there in the first place. So more ontological poo poo basically, or from our perspective outside the story 'just because'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gabriel Pope posted:

If he cranks production back up to pre-2011 levels (and it seems kind of likely that he'll be looking to blitz through this post-Scratch reintro stuff, although that may just be wishful thinking talking) expect 2-3 batches of panels to hit most days, usually spread out between the hours of roughly 3 PM to 3 AM EST.

I always get a little bit happier when I unexpectedly hear that DINGALONG sound update scanner makes. :unsmith:

e/ vv Speaking of Jeff Foxworthy, I've always thought that particular picture looks nothing like him. Browsing GIS there's actually a whole bunch of photos where he looks like completely different people, but this one always stuck out to me personally because of this:

In conclusion, :britain:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 11, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if Mom is a Doc Scratch prisoner.

Given the visual similarity between her bedroom in the lab and the handmaiden's room, I'd say this is pretty much a certainty.

Lupus Rufus posted:

It seems that the artifacts the kids rode with in their baby meteors are appearing in this universe though: Jane's rabbit (which I suspect is the one Jade came with) and John's joke book are both present. This leaves one question: where are John and Jade?

Already here, obviously.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seoinin posted:

And the x of Light logo. And he likes the cerulean ladies.

:crossarms:

JakexMindfang OTP :swoon:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nate RFB posted:

I've been wondering this too ever since it became apparent that J. was going to be Grandpa Harley in the post-scratch universe. Perhaps the answer is surprisingly simple; for example I thought Jack's exit into the troll session was going to be quite convoluted, but it wound up being a simple function one of the Sburb stations already had. Maybe the fourth wall?

Walliard posted:

wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey

Full marks to Walliard for not being embarrassingly bad at weird time poo poo. Don't sweat the details, don't overthink it. If it still bugs you that it doesn't make sense, remember that all of this takes place in a comic which also contains lipstick sorry I meant chainsaw no wait lipstick oh gently caress it you know what I mean.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

sansuki posted:

NO. How in the hell do you have three buck teeth?!?

By being rendered in a manner symbolic of childhood.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lupus Rufus posted:

When Karkat created the trolls and their ancestors ectobiologically, and they were sent through the defense portals, they were sent both to their own universe and the pre-scratch universe. Likewise, it's implied that the same thing happened with John and co., except everyone was sent from the pre-scratch universe's incipisphere.

Why does a glitch have to make sense? I really can't get over people trying to rationalise the origin of the pre-scratch trolls when it makes much more narrative sense for them to simply not have one, the message being OH poo poo YALL CAUSALITY IS SERIOUSLY loving BROKEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS ITS LORD MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH IS WHAT.

Plus as far as I remember the only thing that suggests they came from anywhere at all is "this session was not the one in which they had been spawned" which could just as easily mean they found their way into the wrong session, or were spawned in a different troll session from the same period, or didn't come from anywhere at all. But yeah, while you can [kinda sorta] explain it away with shenanigans, it has a lot more impact if you leave it completely incongruous.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Jake English is indeed a really pulpy, badass name, as is befitting someone so enamored of firearms and fisticuffs. Here's hoping we get a lot of JAKE ENGLISH AND THE (SOMETHING) OF (SOMETHING) vintage poster style fanart in the vein of that time-traveling demon one, because with a name like that he's asking for it.

Just replace [protagonist's name] in any and all Clive Cussler books with Jake English, that should get you off to a pretty good start.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FrictionlessEmu posted:

But you need to already own the object so that you can captchalogue it and then see how to make it. That might be useful in some cases, but most of the time it would just be frustrating because you would alchemize something and then your modus would show you how you could have created it more cheaply :v:.

It probably works with ghost images though, since they give the captchalogue code for the actual item rather than the ghost image itself. Plus you could probably plug the modus itself into a shunt on the alchemiter to get it to show all the recipes for an item you haven't made yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fortis posted:

Karkat's Lusus with a fedora and pipe

I need to see this so badly you have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

pipefan413: She considered a reunion with her estranged brother, and once destined husband to be. But the days of longing for a future with him seemed to be from another lifetime.

I had completely forgotten about that little snippet of commentary on the bizarre human anathema of incest. In any case, all aboard the steamboat JanexJake I guess. :toot: