Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm a proponent of the singular "they."

All of the trolls will end the story dead. This is my prediction. Not that being dead means much in Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a growing suspicion that Roxy and Dirk are not just alternate versions of Mom and Bro, but actually the same people, who did/will do time/universe travel somehow, probably by the same means as this cat will. And if that's so, then it's probably also true for Jane and Jake.

Or have I misunderstood the implications and everybody knew this all along except for me?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Boneless Jogger posted:

The thing about this is that we've seen some glimpses of their pre-scratch selves growing up, and they led different lives. And Nannasprite recalls growing up with b1 Jake, which she didn't here.

Whose selves? My memory is spotty. It might be that it turned out differently for the Prospit dreamers than the Derse dreamers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tinaun posted:

Start here for the story of Jane and Jake in the B1 timeline.

Ah, I see. That doesn't, however, preclude the possibility that Dirk and Roxy had a different experience. Though it's seeming kind of unlikely.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The nature of Frigglish's death was foreshadowed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

QueerPope posted:

What if UU is a Carapace person and that's why everything is "of legend"? It was said somewhere that carapace were supposed to remake the planet after it's destroyed and then play the game again, so she could be one of the carapace from one of those worlds. It would also set her in the future and if she just lived on Alternia in the society that was built by SS then she would probably have an Alternian keyboard.

Gray hands, not black or white.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A parallel I perceive: Dirk is comparable to Jade, in that during their respective introductions, the comic seemed to play around with common signifiers of bad writing. Jade was surrounded by elements of the Mary Sue, and now Dirk bears traits of the idealized self-insert.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would make a lot of sense for a Prince of Heart to be more sincere than he lets on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The practice predates Homestuck. Though this is unique in that it's become popular since Homestuck began, unlike the others.

Being aware of a community of readers is one of the very gratifying things about MSPA, I think. So I say, bless you, Luckyellow, and all readers like you, who fall for things like this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I predict that somebody is going to end up losing to Squarewave before this is all over.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kjetting posted:

Dirk being a MLP fanboy fits right into the comic. We already have at least 3 borderline furries, a juggalo, an emokid/nice guy, a Twilight fangirl, a rageoholic, a 16 year old drinker, to name a few. Just about every character so far has embodied at least one annoying internet stereotype. The ultimate irony will be when UU is revealed as a Hetalia cosplayer.

But we already know that UU is a Homestuck fan, don't we?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hussie posted the comic on his Tumblr (which he usually doesn't do) and said it mattered "SO MUCH"

Obviously this comic is pivotal to understanding the Homestuck plot. If only we could decipher it.

PM could be considered a white pawn.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Edit: Religious notions of predestination and causality are difficult to apply when actual literal time travel is involved.

Lady of the Beech posted:

Since nobody besides Rose produced a complete walkthrough, I guess that is true.

Does the Furthest Ring connect all sessions/universes?

The furthest ring is beyond time and space, so in that sense it "connects" all universes, but not in a way that's useful for those without high-level Seer powers to help avoid the horrorterrors and also make sure that you return at the right time and place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's a suitably Thomist interpretation, but, as such, it leaves out an explanation for the driver of causality that the story's themes have already strongly suggested. Hussie's already ruled out further intervention on his part, and English's power has been shown to be vast but not infinite; his manipulation subtle but not entirely omniscient. Rather than say it was God or Fate or some other synonym thereof, apply the materialist perspective. What transpires is simply a result of causality playing out in the only way it can. Nature - not conscious nature, but the mere behavior of natural laws - is the only author (excepting the literal one).

Time bullshit introduces the possibility of the actors acting upon themselves, creating exactly the sort of loop that the story thrives on. Material determinism seems more appropriate to employ than the more religious versions thereof precisely because time travel keeps leading mundane inevitabilities.

Babbling with large words is its own reward.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jade did have prophetic dream visions and has been implied to be some sort of psychic. Not to mention grandpa was doing some sort of time/space traveling. Not to mention she wasn't that young at the time.

On the other hand, her only human contact was through the internet, so it is still kind of miraculous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like reading too much into things that don't matter.

So there was the distinctive-in-hindsight spelling error quoted on this old page near the end of Act 1, from one of the unfinished walkthroughs Rose was consulting. The outlandish prediction is that Roxy will write it, which would be characteristic though I'm not sure of the precise mechanics that could lead to it being dated 2009. Note the authors of the walkthroughs in question.

What's the over/under on Roxy's leitmotif being named "Sanctuary"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find it significant that Auto-Responder is lying to Dirk. It's an incredibly tiny detail, but note the different explanations he gives to Dirk and Roxy about why he's talking in red. This gives some hint about the nature of the things he's hiding from Dirk. The thing to be wondering is: what else is he lying to whom about, and why?

Considering that in the light of the recurring theme of hating your past self, those glasses are turning out to be one of the more interesting characters. I suspect there'll be a need to review his private conversation with Roxy repeatedly.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 7, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jake's not as neurotic as Dirk and Roxy are, but if anything I'd say he's even more starved for companionship. He tore the uranium out of all his cookalizers, leaving him with no recourse but to eat cold rations forever, just to power the process that'll send an incredibly elaborate hand-made to a friend of the only relative he's ever known, whom he has to contact via what he thinks is time travel. He's happily trading away every sparse creature comfort available on island home just for a chance to indirectly show his appreciation for his "grandmother" whom he only ever knew as a pen pal.

Jane has a loving archetypical Dad, but even she has some isolation issues, experiencing the loneliness of her status as corporate quasi-royalty and frequent assassination target.

In a series with such strong themes of friendship, basically the #1 sign that this reset universe is wrong, tainted by Lord English's evil, is that the heroes are so alone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

QueerPope posted:

Weren't the original kids alone too? Isn't Homrstuck the name not just an earthbound reference but a reference to how the kids are all isolated shut-ins?

The original kids all had family, and that's what makes the difference.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirk is a control freak, as I had surmised.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I think Jane's going to be the friendleader simply because she's the most friendly and has the least amount of baggage among them, except for maybe Jake. It's a lot easier being a leader when you're aren't moping about things like "how can i propose to Jake :(" or "my mom (or bro) is dead and i'm so lonely :(". Jane has her own problems, but she tries to look at things in a positive light (like how she tried to spin Jack shanking her into a being a mystery just like her detective novels instead of being "oh god oh god i can't continue this is so scary.", even though it was obvious it shook her up) and her fuse isn't as short as Dirk's.

That really applies to Prospit dreamers in general.

The secret is that nobody's in charge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

This analogy breaks down when you look at the trolls, though. Karkat, Vriska, Tavros, and Sollux all had quite the issues (at least Terezi's too crazy and Kanaya did get her poo poo together).

Trolls are a disagreeable lot in general. Relatively speaking, though....

The Prospit trolls were Karkat, Terezi, Gamzee, Tavros, Vriska, and Kanaya. Compared to the others, all of them were emotionally open, compared to the Derse trolls, who played their cards pretty close to their chest. (Sollux was like that half the time, predictably.) That's the distinction I see, and it holds even more strongly among the humans we've seen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UU being a Homestuck fan is... well, all the signs were there, weren't they? We joked about it, but then it was true.

Interesting that an additional troll was mentioned.

Really digging god tier Cal, even though by rights I should be terrified.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UU's sleeves are the same color as Calmasis'. Can't imagine that indicating anything good.

Edit: I mean apart from the fact that it was already pretty obvious what it means.

Rather than a "Destroyer of Souls," it's more likely that Dirk is a simple heartbreaker.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

He's running out of walls to write on.

Clearly he needs to turn it sideways and start writing on top of it:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it comes to pass that a meteor destroys Jane's house while she is trying to work up the nerve to confess her love for Jake, I will be heartily amused. Semi-pun semi-intended.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hey, it's the return of the motif from "Beatdown!" I like that song.

I wonder what will happen next.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John, too, only really came into his own once he was in the Medium, though he had a lot more room for idle banter along the way. Give her time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My initial response was "no no not her please don't come back from the dead to take over the plot again," but once I realized it was not Vriska, I decided to just go with the flow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dumb brunette posted:

^^ We've seen UU's horns and they look nothing like Vriska's. It's possible that she's UU's Vriska "equivalent," but then why is she dead?

Well, we haven't seen anything to indicate UU isn't dead, have we?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

You know, she could just be another scorpio-troll unrelated to Vriska or Mindfang in everything except blood caste.

But it's Homestuck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find humans talking about their feelings to be vastly more interesting than trolls talking about their feelings. Right now I am thinking I could watch any combination of the kids shooting the breeze about any topic, no matter how pointless, and I would say "This is delightful," and as long as thirteen (fourteen, now?) certain other characters weren't involved, I wouldn't even notice if no plot was happening.

am I racist

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

she's not being a moron, she's being a teenager.

To be fair, the difference at times is rather subtle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, between what we've seen of Dirk in this session and what we've seen of him in the previous one, it wouldn't be out of line to suggest that the way he expresses his love for people is by trying to destroy them, with swords, robots, rap, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That can't be good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

They could've just been sent back on differing meteors.

They were just sent back on differing meteors.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing with cats is that sometimes they are playing (i.e. being an rear end in a top hat), and other times they are helping in their inscrutable feline ways. We really can't know what goes on in the head of an omniscient cat, so we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt anything it's done has been arbitrary.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

YF-23 posted:

The specific procedure refers to the summoning of Fluthlu in Problem Sleuth, which involved two fenestres getting jumbled (in this and the next few pages). It doesn't look like anything like that will happen here.

There was a callback to that in Homestuck. It certainly confirmed a further relationship between the windows and the Furthest Ring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Another new dead troll, huh?

I'm more interested in where exactly this is taking place. A dream bubble, sure, but what's the environment being dreamed of? The pink Alternian moon? Alternia itself? One of the planets in the Medium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I get a feeling like we're leading up to the end of 6.2 here. The rhythm of the ends of acts is that a bunch of things are established as being about to happen, then they all happen in a big animation that raises more questions than it answers, and then we get an intermission. With Jane about to enter the Medium, Jake in possession of his uranium, and Roxy staring down the barrel of a loaded dead troll, all we've got now is for Dirk to incite the finale.