Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, assuming that nothing's going to be unrolled or rerolled at this point, there's only one human left alive?

edit: I do not assume this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hussie has said Homestuck is about kids and growing up, which is why it is appropriate the villain is an idiot child who refuses to do so.
It is possible that Caliborn, instead of "refusing" to change/grow up, is in fact incapable of change, and that when he killed off his shadow self he killed off the possibility of change. Remember that cherubs aren't supposed to rip out and destroy the alternate self; that was a Caliban special.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

YggiDee posted:

He may be a malicious rear end in a top hat, but he's definitely not afraid to get poo poo done.

The ultimate goon fantasy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

So someone made this handy little chart over the status of most of the cast as of the latest update:

That's a lot of red.

I need a hug.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Andrew Hussie is the author. He is not refereeing an independent game played by independent players. He is making decisions about whether characters he wrote were acting justly or heroically or what-the-hell-everily. The fundamental metaphor is dumb. He might as well claim to be playing strip poker with himself and seeing through his own bluff.

Try "At this point in the story, I wanted to kill off Jane and Jade for plot reasons. My justification for this particular mechanism is that, even though they were mind-controlled, they were really just under the control of a filter that shut off their superegos and let their ids through. This is somehow different because ..." Note the ellipsis, because I don't grasp the distinction here. If somebody fed Jane and Jade a moral roofie, the subsequent events are not under their control.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Congratulations, you have solved the art of fictional storytelling. Aren't you proud of yourself.

I hate it when authors talk about their muses, talk about their worldbuilding as if it were description rather than the result of choices, and in general talk as if they are victims of inevitability rather than independent agents making decisions about a work of art. Furthermore, I think all of the above lead to worse writing. I am delighted to talk about something from either a Doylist or a Watsonian point of view, but when an author behaves as if those two were the same thing I get creeped out.

edit: save the subjunctive

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DOOF! them all, Terezi.

(BTW, my post on Hussey's meta post was dumb and I am dumb.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have a Homestuck cookie question. Homestuck kept shooting me back to the end of Act 6 Act 6 Act 4 (p=008821) no matter how many times I deleted my cookies through the webpage. Eventually I deleted the cookie manually, went to 008921, and saved a cookie. Now Homestuck always shoots me to the beginning. (Chromebook/Chrome, FWIW.)

I checked, and my p_cookie on https://www.mspaintadventures.com is correctly set to 8921. However, that doesn't affect where I land. Does anybody have solutions to suggest?

[edit: nvm. The problem had to do with having mspaintadventures.com's p_cookie different from https://www.mspaintadventures.com's p_cookie.]

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I like how Terezi's standing there in the shoes she looted from Jade's corpse, and yet John is the one being accused of inappropriate responses to the deaths of friends
Spoken like somebody who doesn't grasp the importance of a really on-point pair of shoes.

WAR FOOT posted:

They're shoes taken from a witch crushed by a house; how could they NOT be taken by a plucky lass from another world?
Ooh, I missed that! :golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WHEEEE!

The next question is ... who puts the cartridge back in? And what happens to Doomed!Calliope and Doomed!Jade?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think it's possible that the cartridge was an attempt to redirect the story (and redirect Caliborn) that ultimately failed. It seems reasonable to me that we won't reinsert the cartridge, but that there will be some other input mechanism to restart the plot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does that look like Hussiebot's arm fiddling with the cartridge?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

John will never see Roxy again.

That was my read, too. In fact, I was expecting her to fall on the sword as soon as John was out of sight.
e: f, b

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Action Shakespeare posted:

I forget if anyone pointed it out but the stock images used for the Dark Carnival are from Nara Dreamland.

Well spotted, and thank you for those links!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Terezi: best troll EVER.

"TEREZI: 1 DON'T F33L L1K3 1 H4V3 TH3 CR3D1B1L1TY TO HOLD 4NYON3 4CCOUNT4BL3 OTH3R TH4N MYS3LF "

If only more beings in Homestuck believed that.

Edit: Is anybody else worried that the scarf is written in troll runes? It looked like troll writing to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zoe posted:

oh my goodness do I feel a ~~fanfic~~ coming on, is this what it feels like :allears:

Yip. There's nothing as sinister as the feeling of "Oh. I would read the hell out of that."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Poultron posted:

Please reply. Should I get a Breath hoodie or a Heart hoodie.
Homestuck hoodies are acceptable IFF you wear them only around the house. At least, that's the excuse I'm contemplating using.

quote:

On the one hand I love the Heart design but on the other I don't want people to think I am a Dirk fan

Tell 'em you're a Meulin fan.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think John is sweet, in the way that Jimmy Stewart movie characters are (usually) sweet.

Has Dave always been so much taller than John?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Has this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008179 always had "John Egbert has gone missing" when you click on the blue planet, or is that new since the retcon?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wonder how many people read Homestuck for the first time and immediately went "Oh my god is it actually about a kid trying to play a video game?"

Me. Which is why I bounced off hard the first two times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I take it I'm the only one who went "awwwww" at Vriska and Meenah holding hands.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

It kills a lot of good characterization for Jade as well to lose the three years spent with John and Davesprite, she might not have been in the best state by the end of them but that was the Jade we knew and this Jade is quite removed from that as a character.
The Jade we knew had to die, because her being alive and possessed by the Condesce was what made the final battle unwinnable. If John is going to change Jade's timeline sufficiently to keep her from becoming a grimdarkdogbomb, those changes *have* to have big effects on her character. To get us to a state that is anything other than "you lose, game over", some major changes have to be made to Jade's and Terezi's and Vriska's character paths. That's what makes the whole Paradox Space setup a tragedy, the sense of being trapped in a situation where every choice you make puts you one step closer to a doom foretold before you were born.

a.k.a. "Predestination sucks, never play Cards Against Humanity with a Tarot deck."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Where were we shown Vriska's sparkle trail? Did it show up in regular pages, or was it during one of Vriska's Flash games?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thank you very much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KoB posted:

Terezi is a Seer of Mind, I bet she knows the kind of dumb poo poo John would get up to and accounted for it.

This. The whole point of being Seer of Mind is that she can see all the possible paths, and she would know quite well that the paths involving John's free-will participation wouldn't proceed according to her direct orders.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hussie posted:

So what happens when A6A6I4 is done? I'm not quite sure yet. I'm still working on everything that comes after that. I've written it mostly, but haven't drawn anything yet. There will almost certainly be another pause, but I'm not sure how long it will be yet. I will let you know after 1/19.

Nooooooooo.

e: On reread, Gamzee's having the claw marks means that Nepeta (and everybody who died before her) is still dead.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was wondering last night how this will affect the Homestuck alpha kids. It would be easy enough for the timeflow/clown shenanigans to free Gamzee so that he can steal all the corpses and prototype the alpha kids' sprites, but it's hard to see how he'll be able to create Tavrisprite without Vriska's corpse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

He doesn't need to, because that already happened.
Given the Mobius Double Reacharound nature of the Homestuck timeline, it isn't clear what "already happened" means in the context of John's powers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We are all going to have such temper tantrums if tonight's update is just a handful of plain HTML pages (possibly including "SUCKERS").

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

I want to click the little Vriska in the corner but I can't :saddowns:

Also, I hate Hussie SO MUCH. SO MUCH. stop having a life, artist, just cater to my whims and draw 25/7. thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a reason that the mystery leader in Rose and Jade's story couldn't be the Mayor? Because he fits the "unexpected" bill perfectly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm confused. (Welcome to Homestuck, enjoy your stay.) Right before the "rocks fall, everyone dies" events leading up to GAME OVER, how old were the kids? Everybody who was on the meteor is 16, right? What about Dave (original-formula Dave) and the alpha kids?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think Dave's been being drawn taller than the other kids in his cohort lately. It may just be that he's perma-hero.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

Hussie's been all about redeeming the worst of internet archetypes. When we got our first glimpse of Equius Hussie declared "And now, to make you love him!", and find me a respectable poster who don't love him some Equius.

I hate Equius. The constant references to sweating creep me out. Feel free to make the "no true Scotsman" argument that hating Equius automatically makes me disrespectable.

Edit: Removed leet-speak for fear it would be taken as serious rather than as quoting Vriska.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Vriska is the worst character :smugbert:

E: Well.

Maybe Tavros.

Damara.
Kankri.
So many choices on Beforus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. Spending any time with any of the Beforus trolls (okay, except Meenah and Aranea) reveals that they are actually, literally made of cardboard. I assume that Damara's being kept captive by Doc Scratch is going to pay off at some time and maybe she'll become interesting then.

Also:

quote:

TG: so are you just as brain damaged as we are
GA: Whos We
TG: me and karkat
GA: Of Course Not
GA: But If Youre Referring To The Short Term Memory Loss We All Seem To Be Experiencing Yes Ive Got That Too

Kanaya status: Continues to rule.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

(spoiler deleted)

Oh, my God, I'm so confused.

Another typical moment for a Homestuck reader.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Terezi's password keeps coming up and its killing me waiting to find out what it is.
It's going to make sense quite a ways in the future, so try to put your death on hold for now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just watched Cascade for the Nth time. It never stops being cool, and I always spot a new detail or a scene that makes sense for the first time.

Jade with the planets rules all.

e: Do we know who bit Kanaya on the meteor and turned her into a rainbow drinker?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This is also glorious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfP9N28buk