Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I have a cat with lots of black on her and whoever said they were cuddlebug cats LIED TO ME. <:mad:> She hates being picked up and petted, but she follows me everywhere and talks to me a lot, especially when I poop. She also loves to watch the water flowing from the tap. She usually doesn't drink it but she will mraow! indignantly until someone turns it on, so she can stare at it. Probably she just loves wasting water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

digitalscribbles posted:

This is Kisa...she is sick at the moment but still weird as always. When people see her weird pics, they always compare her to this character from some dragon movie. I've not seen the movie...but I do see the resemblance, lol

The dragon in How to Train Your Dragon is absurdly cute. It has some dog-like traits because the filmmakers loved dogs, but is also very catlike because the lead animator had just gotten a kitty when he started working on the movie. Here is a brief Washington Post article.

I love black and tuxedo cats. They are all sleek looking and makes the inevitable cat goofiness just that much more adorable.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Figaro's tuxedo is a bit shabby, there's a hole in the middle of his back, but he has a dapper tiny black dot of a goatee to make up for it! (Not that you can see that in the first photo)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Crosspost from the YOSPOS thread: this is a comparison of what Thaddeus looked like when I adopted him two months ago and what he looks like today. He was dangerously underweight (<4 pounds), had a really bad respiratory infection, and was generally raggedy and sickly. I wouldn't have liked his chances staying in the shelter. After two trips to the vet and switching from Science Diet kibble to Weruva and Tiki Cat (sprinkled with megadoses of lysine for a few weeks) he's a lot fuller and fluffier.

September

November

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Elotana posted:

Crosspost from the YOSPOS thread: this is a comparison of what Thaddeus looked like when I adopted him two months ago and what he looks like today. He was dangerously underweight (<4 pounds), had a really bad respiratory infection, and was generally raggedy and sickly. I wouldn't have liked his chances staying in the shelter. After two trips to the vet and switching from Science Diet kibble to Weruva and Tiki Cat (sprinkled with megadoses of lysine for a few weeks) he's a lot fuller and fluffier.

September

November

Wow! What a turnaround!

Sasarella
Jul 5, 2004

Wholesome Sassy Sweetness

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I like your cat shelves! We're looking for a way to give Alli somewhere to climb without getting on our bookshelves and breaking our nicknacks and picture frames. Do these give them enough of an outlet for their climbing and perching urges or are they still climbing places you'd rather they not?

We have this downstairs, and another one of the tall, skinny poles upstairs that leads them to five kitty baskets on top of our Armoire.

Yes, all of this really keeps them off of everything else. At least so far :)

*edit!* Also, thanks. I am really pleased with how the kitty corner turned out. With five cats, dee eight's cat nip and a kitty corner, we have fine entertainment most nights here :)

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Yay! I get to show off all the pics of my little blackie!

Wait...

Sheesh, come on here!

FINALLY

And just 'cos he's my little cuddlebutt:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I love black cats, just the contrast of their bright yellow eyes with the dark, shiny fur makes them the best. Plus every cat I've been around that was pure black was like Jekyll/Hyde with their personality - one minute, they're drooly snugglemonsters that want pets, the next minute they're feisty and attacking your hands/feet or anything else that shows even the slightest movement. :3:

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

marshmallard posted:

This story is amazing and melted my heart <3 please keep posting updates!

Aww, I'm glad Scaredy's story touched someone's heart besides mine. She's starting to come out of her shell, except that I don't have time to socialize her so it's a really slow process.

More pictures, and a story!

When I open the curtains, she's usually chilling at the base of some shrubs, or on top of one of the two mysterious, ancient cars that haven't moved since 1996:

We look at each other for a moment and then I go get ready. When I come back, she seems to have disappeared - but she's actually sitting outside my front door where I can't see her. Then I come out with her food and water, and she runs from her station to her spot under the car. All I see is a flash of black tail, and then a somewhat hidden cat:

I tell her good morning and she hisses and meows, I fill up her tupperwares and retreat a safe distance so that she feels comfortable eating. (Edit: you can see a bit of her white belly tuft in this one!)

Then I go back inside to grab my stuff, and when I leave, two furry faces - Indy in the window and Scaredy at her food bowl - watch me go.

Story time (without pictures, sorry):
Today was rent day, which meant I needed to drop off a check at the building in front of mine. So this morning Scaredy and I went through our usual routine, but instead of going to her food bowl I first walked over to the next building with the rent check. I got to the top of the stairs and turned around to see Scaredy standing at the bottom, watching me. She'd followed me (since I was carrying her food) all the way there. Then she scampered into a hiding spot under the stairs, and I walked back to her food bowl. I turned and saw her, again, trotting along behind me, in pursuit of breakfast. :3: Then it was business as usual and she went back to her scaredy cat ways.

Robo Kitty fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 2, 2011

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

I don't discriminate based on color (or size)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Robo Kitty posted:

Aww, I'm glad Scaredy's story touched someone's heart besides mine. She's starting to come out of her shell, except that I don't have time to socialize her so it's a really slow process.

More pictures, and a story!

When I open the curtains, she's usually chilling at the base of some shrubs, or on top of one of the two mysterious, ancient cars that haven't moved since 1996:

We look at each other for a moment and then I go get ready. When I come back, she seems to have disappeared - but she's actually sitting outside my front door where I can't see her. Then I come out with her food and water, and she runs from her station to her spot under the car. All I see is a flash of black tail, and then a somewhat hidden cat:

I tell her good morning and she hisses and meows, I fill up her tupperwares and retreat a safe distance so that she feels comfortable eating. (Edit: you can see a bit of her white belly tuft in this one!)

Then I go back inside to grab my stuff, and when I leave, two furry faces - Indy in the window and Scaredy at her food bowl - watch me go.

Story time (without pictures, sorry):
Today was rent day, which meant I needed to drop off a check at the building in front of mine. So this morning Scaredy and I went through our usual routine, but instead of going to her food bowl I first walked over to the next building with the rent check. I got to the top of the stairs and turned around to see Scaredy standing at the bottom, watching me. She'd followed me (since I was carrying her food) all the way there. Then she scampered into a hiding spot under the stairs, and I walked back to her food bowl. I turned and saw her, again, trotting along behind me, in pursuit of breakfast. :3: Then it was business as usual and she went back to her scaredy cat ways.

Is there a thread? We need a thread.

ChairmanMeow posted:

I don't discriminate based on color (or size)

Congratulations, you are officially certified Not A Cat Racist. I think there should be some sort of collectable badge or something for everyone with more than one race of cat.

I qualify, I've got a white one and a tabby.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

marshmallard posted:

Congratulations, you are officially certified Not A Cat Racist. I think there should be some sort of collectable badge or something for everyone with more than one race of cat.

I qualify, I've got a white one and a tabby.

The personality difference between my graceful, calm and quiet White Persian and my noisy, hyperactive and clumsy Black Domestic Shorthair is incredible. Their size difference is stunning too, Blanca is tiny (especially with a lion cut) and Atticus is already twice her size and he's still a teenage kitten.

I recommend multiracial cat households for everyone.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Our 3 kids (I mean cats) are all tuxedo kitties.

There's Zorro, who thinks he's either a dog or a human.

Then there's Indiana Jones, he's the biggest momma's boy ever, that cat will follow my girlfriend around all day.

And then my adorable little idiot, Ovaltine Jenkins (Juice for short)

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Black cats are the best.

Prospero is my little love bug. I have NEVER loved a pet like I love him. He always puts a smile on my face.

As a baby, NOMNOM

Awwww

He's kind of grown out of it but for awhile he had a thing for getting into plastic bags, to the point where he was wearing them. 9_9

"WTF, Mom? TRAITOR!"

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
My local no-kill shelter always has a "black cat special" throughout October. Black kitties are half priced. This year though, despite that deal and 15 to choose from, none were adopted. :( I'm a sucker for black cats. If I didn't already have 3 cats (only one black one though) and a poo poo-paying job, I'd have adopted them all.

Looking at all of these pictures made me realize how Jinx would look if he wasn't such a fatass. :3:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Absolute Evil posted:

My local no-kill shelter always has a "black cat special" throughout October. Black kitties are half priced. This year though, despite that deal and 15 to choose from, none were adopted. :( I'm a sucker for black cats. If I didn't already have 3 cats (only one black one though) and a poo poo-paying job, I'd have adopted them all.

Looking at all of these pictures made me realize how Jinx would look if he wasn't such a fatass. :3:

This makes me sad. Half-price cats should never happen. Who seriously makes the decision to adopt a cat for life based on the initial adoption price? :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

marshmallard posted:

This makes me sad. Half-price cats should never happen. Who seriously makes the decision to adopt a cat for life based on the initial adoption price? :(

I see your point, but I don't really view it in those terms. It's more like... black cats are harder to place, so we'll give people an additional incentive to adopt them. I doubt anyone is like "Hey let's adopt the cheapest cat possible!", more that black cats need all the help they can get to fight the forces of kitty-racism :( Think of it more like... affirmative cat-tion. Or something.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The initial adoption price is useful to know if you're actively trying to take a cat that's unlikely to get adopted, since they're usually cheaper. It's unfortunate that they have to do that to begin with, though. :(

Phishi
May 13, 2006
Well I'm horribly cheap so I was stashing money and supplies in prep, then was gonna wait for an adoption special... unless, of course, someone stole my heart before then, which happened. :3: Granted, they ended up being free, but once my car BS is over with I'll be donating to a couple shelters I was looking into adopting from instead. Also, what kaworu said. It's much the same idea as shelters offering a 2nd cat adoption at a discounted rate to encourage people to take two. Which may be terrible but there are so many that shelters will do anything to get them into homes.

What I don't understand is how someone can take in 2 kittens, spend the money to neuter and even front paw declaw them, get their shots, feed them food that isn't the *worst* if not the Indigo Moon they get now, and then just get rid of them cos the boyfriend doesn't like them? Or take the time to look for a cat friendly place? Which is not hard around here. /rant

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At my shelter cats over 1 are $50 less! I saved on my babies. (crossposted from coupons)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Phishi posted:

What I don't understand is how someone can take in 2 kittens, spend the money to neuter and even front paw declaw them, get their shots, feed them food that isn't the *worst* if not the Indigo Moon they get now, and then just get rid of them cos the boyfriend doesn't like them? Or take the time to look for a cat friendly place? Which is not hard around here. /rant
When I adopted Watson there was a woman surrendering her two cats. She was nearly hysterical but had lost her job and could not care for them. That situation isn't all that unusual in the current economy. When I went through my orientation for the animal shelter I was told that's pretty much where half their cats come from now -- people hold on until they just can't anymore and then hope their pets can go to a home where they can be fed and loved.

Watson was a surrender with two other cats. All three adopted in New York somewhere then moved to Seattle and suddenly the owners have allergies and have to re-home them. I don't quite buy that last bit but whatever, Watson is awesome.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

ChairmanMeow posted:

At my shelter cats over 1 are $50 less! I saved on my babies. (crossposted from coupons)
Cats under 1 year are $75 here and $45 if they're older than a year.I believe if they are 10 years or older, they are $25. My Jinx was bought at a discount. The lady saw us cuddling with him and told us he'd been there for quite a few months and nobody really ever gave him a second glance. She said if we really wanted him, she'd let us adopt him for less because she wanted to see him have a real home. She didn't mention a discount until she saw we were hooked on him and we would've added him to our family no matter how much the adoption cost.

Locally, I've noticed a lot of "sales". Black cats lower priced in October. When a litter comes in, I've seen 2 for the price of 1 ads..both to have more adopted and kitties being adopted with a sibling they've bonded with. It's gimmicky, sure. But it *does* get people in there and looking around. When we went back a year after getting Jinx, we adopted an orange tiger male and a grey tabby female. I saw a momma cat with 2 of her babies who were several months old. They were listed as "Buy 2 babies, get a babysitter free". :3:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^how could you not!
I can't even walk past the petco cages any more. I have to stay focused on how much it would upset the delicate balance we have at home.

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

This is Nikki, she's been with us for almost 2 years now. We found her, or rather she found us right here in my neighborhood. She would not move away from the house, so after a few days I put her in the garage and put up flyers, called shelters, put her on craigslist and had her scanned for a microchip... There were a few people who came to check if she was theirs, but she wasn't... She very obviously used to be somebody's pet, she wasn't thin, her fur wasn't dirty, she didn't have the dirty stray cat paws they usually have, and she only had a few fleas, but nothing major, AND she was super friendly, meowing up a storm every time someone entered the garage.

I was all ready to drop her off at the shelter since we already had 3 cats, but my husband made the mistake of naming her, then claiming that once you name it, you can't drop it off! So after a vet visit she joined our zoo, and she's been awesome ever since, cuddly but feisty at the same time. The dog is terrified of her which is hilarious, she's clearly the queen of this place :3

Nikki

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Absolute Evil posted:

Locally, I've noticed a lot of "sales". Black cats lower priced in October.

Weird. A few years ago my mom was looking for a young cat to liven up the household. She fell in love with a little black kitty at a nearby shelter, but they refused to let her take him home. He was like 6 months old and already neutered so it's not that he was too young. Apparently they had a strict rule of never rehoming black cats during October, period.

I guess they're afraid of weird Halloween cultists who want cats for their death rituals or something. At any rate, they finally let her adopt him in November. She named him Shadow but he apparently forgave her for it. Shadow lives with my sister-in-law now since Mom died so I don't have any pictures, sorry.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Heknocentric Thinker posted:

... my husband made the mistake of naming her, then claiming that once you name it, you can't drop it off! So after a vet visit she joined our zoo, and she's been awesome ever since, cuddly but feisty at the same time. The dog is terrified of her which is hilarious, she's clearly the queen of this place :3

I think you mean "had the cunning plan".

Sol Invictus
Nov 29, 2005

suspended in the infinite darkness
a waning lantern--
guide me to my fate:
our Chariot does touch the ground
A brown cat posing as a black cat. Woke her up from a nap here.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Sol Invictus posted:

A brown cat posing as a black cat. Woke her up from a nap here.

:eng101: Genetically, she is black - the brownness comes from sunlight bleaching her hair and causing it to fade out. The more you know!

Sol Invictus
Nov 29, 2005

suspended in the infinite darkness
a waning lantern--
guide me to my fate:
our Chariot does touch the ground

notsoape posted:

:eng101: Genetically, she is black - the brownness comes from sunlight bleaching her hair and causing it to fade out. The more you know!

Good to know. I wanted a black cat when we bought her and I thought she tricked us! :)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

notsoape posted:

I guess this is also why my white and gray cat has some pink fur. Either that or he is ~*~special~*~.

Jealous of everyone in this thread. Wish I had a black cat. I wear a lot of dark pants for work.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Help, I am a black cat addict.
Godzilla and Tokyo hate each other but the fights don't usually start over a lion.

once in awhile they even reconcile. rarely.

godzilla (the underdog):

tokyo (the instigator):

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
This is Hali. We picked her up five years ago after she hid in a car engine bay and wound up at our local sanctuary. The day we went looking for cats was pouring with rain, and she was the only cat that came outside to see us.

She is the noisiest cat I've ever heard; she'll miaow all day if you talk back to her and she knows if she stands by the bed and miaows in my ear I can't ignore her for long.

Here she is chilling in the summer:

And this is her winter hiding place:

Our shelter has said about the problems finding homes for black cats before - I'd have another without a second thought.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Serella posted:

Jealous of everyone in this thread. Wish I had a black cat. I wear a lot of dark pants for work.
The inner end of black fur is usually white. Out of spite.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Esmerelda posted:

When I adopted Watson there was a woman surrendering her two cats. She was nearly hysterical but had lost her job and could not care for them. That situation isn't all that unusual in the current economy. When I went through my orientation for the animal shelter I was told that's pretty much where half their cats come from now -- people hold on until they just can't anymore and then hope their pets can go to a home where they can be fed and loved.

I totally get that, and I know it's an increasing problem with the economy the way it is. Even in my own family, my parents don't have the $200 it would take to test the dog to see if she has cancer or liver problems. Even if they knew they couldn't afford to treat it. :smith: My dad hasn't worked in like 4 years or they would... We (well mostly 16 year old me) nursed her back from the brink of death from being weaned too soon and separated from mom early, this dog is every bit a part of the family as me or my brother are. But the vet said she's not in any pain right now so they're doing what they can for her. So yeah, I really do understand that.

This is just not the vibe I was getting from her. She said she was only moving to be closer to work and places she goes out to, and the new apt was no pets allowed. She was very blase about the whole thing and hasn't followed up on them. I have fairly good instincts about people, and that was the conclusion I came to. The person who came with me came to the same conclusion independently of me, but in the end, who really knows? And her loss was my gain. :unsmith:

To be more on topic, Geordie in the bestest spot in the apartment:

WUT

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Phishi posted:

I totally get that, and I know it's an increasing problem with the economy the way it is. Even in my own family, my parents don't have the $200 it would take to test the dog to see if she has cancer or liver problems. Even if they knew they couldn't afford to treat it. :smith: My dad hasn't worked in like 4 years or they would... We (well mostly 16 year old me) nursed her back from the brink of death from being weaned too soon and separated from mom early, this dog is every bit a part of the family as me or my brother are. But the vet said she's not in any pain right now so they're doing what they can for her. So yeah, I really do understand that.

If she hasn't been diagnosed yet, could you see about getting her pet insurance?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Here's my little black kitty girl, Little Captain Stubing's Champion Baron Von Poops Truimphant Turds over Krapistan the Third Junior, A.K.A. "Poops Jr.":

She is a no-kill shelter cat that nobody wanted. She hates being picked up, but is otherwise very affectionate and a very loud purrer who constantly follows me around the house.

Bonus pick of my other kitty, Stinky J McWrinkles (a dumpster foundling):

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

This thread is like looking at tons of pictures of my own cat.

Here's Nero:

I got him from someone at work - she had to get rid of him because, after adopting him, her existing cats didn't get along with him. He loved them, though - she kept them in separate rooms, and he would drag toys over to the door and try to push them under to play with the other cats.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This thread is like looking at tons of pictures of my own cat.

Here's Nero:

I got him from someone at work - she had to get rid of him because, after adopting him, her existing cats didn't get along with him. He loved them, though - she kept them in separate rooms, and he would drag toys over to the door and try to push them under to play with the other cats.

Hey Bro.

Well my cat was Nero Wolfe, and turkish van, not black. I.. don't think I've ever had an all black cat. But most of mine have been alley finds.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My friend's cat, Geki.

Seen here with the tortie, Zuma.

She can be a little creepy.

Okay, a lot creepy.

As you can see, she doubles as a fashionable throw pillow.

Fun fact: she does not like being bothered when sleeping. Or hiding in her couch. (She clawed at me when I tried to reach in and pet her :()

Ashamed of her bald spot. (something something shaved pussy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Arthur and Ford are awesome.

Here's Ford pretending to be a calm, reserved kitty when we all know he's an insane rear end in a top hat:

Here's Arthur :3:

Ohh Arthur :3:

I could take pictures of Arthur all day, if only he'd stop head-butting my hands!

Shenanigans!

Having some "Lets bug Ed" time:

They're so big, now!
For reference, here they are a week after they came home: